Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

CthulhuTech had better be about 80 ton robots in a feudal future fighting Cthulhu. "One day the stars would be right... So we went to the stars and struck first."

No, it's Evangelion mashed with Cthulhu with lots of rape added.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/ettin/cthulhutech/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

That Old Tree posted:

Looks like gnome's latest Kickstarter is live: Final Bid. It's an update and expansion of Law's Out, which is free for the duration of the Kickstarter (link on the campaign page). I really liked the couple of sessions of Law's Out I wrangled out of my friends, so it's an immediate back for me.

Thanks for sharing! I think they passed out after a late night, so please allow me to swoop in and expand.

Final Bid is a cinematic action game using the engine first developed for Law's Out. It's a GM-less game where every player plays a role in a film. At the top of each scene, a player bids something their character has. The player with the winning bid, with guidelines for what makes a winning bid depending on which film genre you're playing, has the most control of the scene and play continues. Final Bid currently has five films to play, with more coming from stretch goals. I'm writing one of those!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/final-bid-the-cinematic-auction-game/description

This is probably my favorite game engine ever. I'm working on it because I demanded to be a part of this project and wouldn't take no for an answer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm being offered a choice of which part of ORC STABR I want and I don't want to pick the wrong part and have it stolen by mean gobbos :ohdear:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I'm being offered a choice of which part of ORC STABR I want and I don't want to pick the wrong part and have it stolen by mean gobbos :ohdear:

They're all good parts

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I chose right!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I ended up choosing bottom

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I couldn't decide whether to put my real name, internet handle, or a fake orc name on the rules.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rhandhali posted:

Not traditional in the strictest sense but I'd be surprised if any of us haven't come across Spiderweb software at some point; the people behind Avernum and Avadon.

They just launched a Kickstarter for their new game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror

They've been cranking out quality games for 25 years now. They've done some really oddball stuff in the past that I adore, stuff like Geneforge or Nethergate, set in Roman Britain.

Backed this without even reading it. Spiderweb is great!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Moon Monster posted:

Backed this without even reading it. Spiderweb is great!
"I love games that let you make fortresses and fill them with stuff. However, those forts seem to only rarely make a difference in the game. In Queen's Wish, you will have power to build and make decisions, and those decisions will give you noticeable power and bonuses.

Note that, if you aren't into this sort of thing, you can do the fort stuff very quickly. Just think of it as another way to train your character.

You can also make furniture and cosmetic improvements. My younger daughter told me that she wants this, so I put it in."

now that's quality game design.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sinisterfish/villagers-card-drafting-and-village-building-for-1/

Anyone checked out this campaign? I'm a sucker for card drafting and the general small-box format

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"I love games that let you make fortresses and fill them with stuff. However, those forts seem to only rarely make a difference in the game. In Queen's Wish, you will have power to build and make decisions, and those decisions will give you noticeable power and bonuses.

Note that, if you aren't into this sort of thing, you can do the fort stuff very quickly. Just think of it as another way to train your character.

You can also make furniture and cosmetic improvements. My younger daughter told me that she wants this, so I put it in."

now that's quality game design.

A lot stupider decisions have been made in games for far worse reasons...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
that cmon cthulu game is weird considering they already kickstarted a lovecraftian inspired boardgame with eric lang, guillotine games and studio mcvey a few years ago

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Rhandhali posted:

A lot stupider decisions have been made in games for far worse reasons...
It's a good decision made for a good reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well with 30 hours to go I went all in on Empyreal. Level 99 has yet to really disappoint me so far. It's currently sitting at 180k which means it's unlocked both an add-on expansion as well as Insert Trays Which Don't Suck, which is honestly the stretch goal I cared most about.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Well with 30 hours to go I went all in on Empyreal. Level 99 has yet to really disappoint me so far. It's currently sitting at 180k which means it's unlocked both an add-on expansion as well as Insert Trays Which Don't Suck, which is honestly the stretch goal I cared most about.

Oh good, I was a little worried it wasn't going to make that last one. Because, yeah, lately bad inserts are my nemesis in boardgames.

(Though there's no actual guarantee that what they come up with will be all that great. Still, at least they're thinking about it, unlike some companies...)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

malkav11 posted:

Oh good, I was a little worried it wasn't going to make that last one. Because, yeah, lately bad inserts are my nemesis in boardgames.

(Though there's no actual guarantee that what they come up with will be all that great. Still, at least they're thinking about it, unlike some companies...)

L99 has started turning more attention towards functional storage solutions lately with things like tuckboxes for card games and the like. I doubt that whatever they include for a stretch goal is going to be as nice as an $80+ custom insert, but as long as it's more functional than something like the default inserts that came with Argent, for example, it'll be a definite step up.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

potatocubed posted:

I think Ettin did some research a while back and discovered that there had been at least one Cthulhu-themed Kickstarter running at every point for the past five years or so.
When I read this I laughed and nodded, because obviously it's true, but then I just glanced at the new tabletop games list and there's a new Cthulhu party game and it's one thing to know it's happening but my mind cannot hope to encompass the true nature of experiencing that loathsome truth. Or something.

I may have to wean myself off cosmic horror and lovecraftian poo poo. I enjoy a bit of it from time to time, but I'm starting to think it'd be good to avoid it entirely for a year or two.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

L99 has started turning more attention towards functional storage solutions lately with things like tuckboxes for card games and the like. I doubt that whatever they include for a stretch goal is going to be as nice as an $80+ custom insert, but as long as it's more functional than something like the default inserts that came with Argent, for example, it'll be a definite step up.

I mean, the Argent inserts were better than literally anything Fantasy Flight has ever provided, for example. But there's definitely room to grow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LeSquide posted:

So, how ARE those dogfighting rules?

They seem pretty solid? I've seen a number of ways to do dogfighting in Fate, and they largely all fall into three categories: making the ships characters in their own right complete with their own aspects/stunts/stress/consequences and skills (with or without PC skills adding to them), making the ships just a permission aspect to justify having the players roll their own Shoot/Drive/etc. in space, and something kind of in the middle where ships have their own stress/consequences/aspects but player skills are still rolled.

Tachyon Squadron combines that last option with a revised skill list, since every PC is a pilot, which means the list is focused around the assumption that everyone is going to be flying some kind of fighter (or at least a spaceship). The base list is cut down from 18 to 10 skills, and there are four new skills that are purely about flying: Gunnery (attack), Pilot (defence), Tactics (initiative) and Technology (missile attacks, targeting and emergency repairs).

The catch is that all of these tie in to a special initiative/targeting system: when combat starts, everyone makes a Tactics roll and that places them on the Manoeuvre Chart, which looks like this:

Characters go in order of their Tactics result, with highest going first, but the most important thing is that you can't attack someone who rolled higher than you (because they manoeuvred better and are behind you). Pilot and Tactics can also be used during the engagement to do stuff like get on an enemy's tail (meaning you follow them as they go up/down the chart, unless they use a Pilot overcome to shake you off) or move an enemy further down the chart so they can't attack you/a wingman.

The action economy is also pretty drastically changed to go with this:

Personally, I think this is probably the best system I've seen for doing dogfights in Fate Core, though I've not had the chance to play it. The new skills/manoeuvre chart/action economy stuff give it mechanics specific and crunchy enough to feel worth engaging with and evoke the right flavour.

The only thing I don't like is the skill spread: you get one +4, two +3s, three +2s and four +1s, but there's no reason why you would ever not want to put at least +1 in every ship skill. It would have been a lot smarter to have the four ship skills as a totally separate pyramid instead.

Unrelated, but I thought the setting was kind of dumb (plucky volunteer space fighters holding out against the oppressive might of the Empire!) until I realised it's literally just the Spanish Civil War IN SPACE, and now I think it owns.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 3, 2018

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone played Bloc by Bloc? I want to back it but I don’t need shelf art and I haven’t seen much posted about it here, maybe that is a hint in itself.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone played Bloc by Bloc? I want to back it but I don’t need shelf art and I haven’t seen much posted about it here, maybe that is a hint in itself.

I'm also still wondering, I asked around the start of their kickstarter. Seems interesting, but would love to know how it plays or if anyone has experience playing it has any opinions on the 2nd edition changes.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's a good decision made for a good reason.

Never said it wasn't a good decision. I'm just so jaded that's the best praise I can muster for anything.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ropes4u posted:

When I had a look at their first kickstarter, the game had a dice action selection system and, from what I could see, it had the same issue as Dead of Winter where, although there were ways to use low rolls, high rolls were still explicitly better than low rolls. I'm not sure if they made changes to the rules since the 1st time the game went on KS.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My friend's co-op compact/smallbox puzzle card game Assembly hit their funding goal today, and they're super excited about it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ropes4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PjNmfeimbE

This guy likes it, and I tend to trust his taste (disclosure: I know and game with him IRL).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

NTRabbit posted:

My friend's co-op compact/smallbox puzzle card game Assembly hit their funding goal today, and they're super excited about it

Interesting but the premise...feel like I should not escape and kill most of earth's population.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PjNmfeimbE

This guy likes it, and I tend to trust his taste (disclosure: I know and game with him IRL).

I have watched his videos before I think I will give the game a shot.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Holy poo poo I just got Delta Green tracking

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Sounds like someone involved with Tachyon Squad played Warbirds, that's pretty similar to how a mass dogfight played out in that system.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any strong feelings on Mythic Battles: Pantheon? It feels a bit like just buying an entire collection of Malifaux, WarmaHordes, or any other tactical minis game. I'm trying to decide if I honestly think friends would get into drafting a bunch of pieces for yet another skirmish game. It does do some nifty things with the deck-building and the dice, so it's tugging me enough to ask for opinions, but the price point and the Monolith brand are also slowing me down.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dulkor posted:

Sounds like someone involved with Tachyon Squad played Warbirds, that's pretty similar to how a mass dogfight played out in that system.

:v:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Neta-Tanka is on Kickstarter and I'm pretty sure I'll be backing it.

Looks like a mid-weight worker placement with a nice theme where turn order is a key element in terms of the resolution phase, as, for example resources have to be generated via one action before they can be gathered with another. So if you gather resources before they exist on the board, you wasted your worker.

I like the theme too - it's kinda communal and cooperative (only in terms of theme, it is a competitive game), with no focus on industry or military or whatnot.

They've got a nice video that shows the mechanics and art really well.

$52USD/€44 for the basic, $66USD/€56 for Deluxe, with reasonable shipping.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The Mountain Witch 2nd Edition is live on Kickstarter as of a few days ago. I've heard good things about the 1st edition, so maybe you want to jump on this one?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

potatocubed posted:

The Mountain Witch 2nd Edition is live on Kickstarter as of a few days ago. I've heard good things about the 1st edition, so maybe you want to jump on this one?

Wasn't the Mountain Witch one of the first storygames?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

Any strong feelings on Mythic Battles: Pantheon? It feels a bit like just buying an entire collection of Malifaux, WarmaHordes, or any other tactical minis game. I'm trying to decide if I honestly think friends would get into drafting a bunch of pieces for yet another skirmish game. It does do some nifty things with the deck-building and the dice, so it's tugging me enough to ask for opinions, but the price point and the Monolith brand are also slowing me down.

Too low of a cool to meh ratio on the minis for me to back, personally.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Wasn't the Mountain Witch one of the first storygames?

Yes it is, and you can see how it had a very heavy influence on the games that came after it (such as Apocalypse World).

It's an interesting read here in the post-PbtA/Fate era because it thinks it way through the ideas that are pretty "obvious" nowadays. The original game came out in 2004, which was still the era of "I want to do something" "Okay, roll". Twenty pages are dedicated to talking about how you roll dice, from the point of view of the fiction: asking "what are you actually trying to accomplish?", "why are you doing it?" "what are the actual stakes?". Again, obvious to us now but it's interesting to see the concepts first being formed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Memnaelar posted:

Very good models. Pretty good game. I had no issues with delivery (one mispack that was fixed up). Price point is high, but if you are minis collector it isn't horrible.
It has much more of a board-gamey than skirmish-gamey feel, if that makes sense at all. The movement and actions are fairly deliberate. While you could play the normal game a ton of times with the variety of gods/monsters/etc, there is a good campaign and enough one off goofy matches to fill up the time.

You could get the base box and wait for ragnarok next year, depending on how often you play.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I got Mythic Battles Pantheon on the first Kickstarter round, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet due to Gloomhaven. However, the models are top notch and you get a shitton of them. I use several for various RPG endeavors.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
E: wrong thread; kill me.

I would be interested in any input on bloc by bloc that anyone has, the theme has caught me but I haven’t heard much from anyone that has played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
mythic battles was the only kickstarter boardgame not made by cmon that arrived on time. literally every other game has been like 6-18 months late. so they seem competent enough to actually get it to you when they say they will

it doesnt make me especially happy seeing a revised edition that i have to pay for 6 months later tho