Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

very authentic grassroots demonstration against Nixon right here

https://twitter.com/bobrieneden/status/1003050133968293890?s=21

Good lord is this embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
How dare Miss Bigtime Hollywood threaten plucky 'lil Cuomo!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

the cuomo supporters got outnumbered anyway

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barry Convex posted:

He really does have this really insecure core to him, doesn't he?

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/1003456118868365312

https://twitter.com/CaseySeiler/status/1003463575925657606

https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/1003463808789172224

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Jun 4, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tomorrow is the start of petitioning season. i need 31 signatures between myself and the prospective female committee member. luckily i live in a building with a lot of people, so getting them should be easy

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Does anyone have hot takes about Tish vs Zephyr for ag? I like both but Tish cozying up to cuomo seems Bad especially given her history with wfp, and Zephyr strikes me as a bit of a boring academic a la Liz Warren which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They both seem to have solidly progressive bona fides so...???

Looking for hot takes I'll burn my tongue on

PS Bharara should just keep doing his stupid podcast or whatever

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Zephy for me purely because she's aligned with Nixon.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm probably voting Tish just for "PROGRESSIVE ANTI-CUOMO BAT SIGNAL" reasons but it's hard to have a hot take about it unless you're racist or something.

edit: sorry meant Zephyr

pangstrom has issued a correction as of 12:29 on Jun 6, 2018

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Any NY-19 goons have thoughts about the 8 billion dem congressional candidates we have to choose from? I've been leaning towards Rhodes but he's getting absolutely smashed in the door to door/advertising race. Delgado and Ryan also look decent, but I'm having trouble telling all these candidates apart. Anyone totally a no go? Which one would have the best chance to beat Faso?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I want Zephyr on the ballot. Whether I'll then vote for her is another thing, but I do want the possibility, so I will sign a petition if I can find a petitioner.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I want Zephyr on the ballot. Whether I'll then vote for her is another thing, but I do want the possibility, so I will sign a petition if I can find a petitioner.

I would someone with RPG character name on the ballot

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

I would someone with RPG character name on the ballot

:yeah:

Also, has anybody been following the Senate today? They overturned Cuomo's veto, and also this happened:

https://twitter.com/klnynews/status/1004153340954112001

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Zephyr teachout owns incredibly hard and if you don't vote for her just spoil your ballot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malcolm XML posted:

Zephyr teachout owns incredibly hard and if you don't vote for her just spoil your ballot

Seriously. Her and Oscasio-Cortez should run for President in 2020

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

Seriously. Her and Oscasio-Cortez should run for President in 2020

sign me up

e: but we need to get Krasner in there somehow.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I just dont want to get milkshake ducked :ohdear:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Glambags posted:

I just dont want to get milkshake ducked :ohdear:

she's good and I wish she would have won her congressional bid 10 years ago (in 2016).

but I think her as a DA can do a lot of good. just like Krasner is doing in Philly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

blasio is talking big game about ending the specialized highschool admissions test (its deffo big time biased against black and latino kids that lack the means to prep for it) but in the most politically assbackwards way possible. his plan is to essentially shut out private school kids from competing for all but like 5% of the seats, which has jewish groups freaking out. the other 95% of seats will go to only top students in city middleschools, shutting out kids that move to the city recently, and potentially risking all out rebellion of asian parents whose kids stand to lose the most number of seats under any arraignment, but particularly this one that could see their numbers cut by more than half since they are so over represented now. alumni groups are all freaking out too and trying to rally support.

now blasio cant put this plan into action without the state senate going along with it. the biased tests are mandated by a state law. he can and will however use his power (as he should have done years ago) to as much as double the dismally small black and latino enrollment through a number of adjustments he can make, but instead of doing that first to start fixing the problem hes decided to stoke a parental race war over top high school seats while he waits for the republican senate majority to fall out of power.

the status quo needs to change but this feels like a particularly divisive way to go about it and pretty drat late in his term too but im no politician.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Every time I see people talk about the proposed change to the tests it all seems like they're clutching their pearls at "lowering standards" its been a pain in the rear end to see all day

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

blasio is talking big game about ending the specialized highschool admissions test (its deffo big time biased against black and latino kids that lack the means to prep for it) but in the most politically assbackwards way possible. his plan is to essentially shut out private school kids from competing for all but like 5% of the seats, which has jewish groups freaking out. the other 95% of seats will go to only top students in city middleschools, shutting out kids that move to the city recently, and potentially risking all out rebellion of asian parents whose kids stand to lose the most number of seats under any arraignment, but particularly this one that could see their numbers cut by more than half since they are so over represented now. alumni groups are all freaking out too and trying to rally support.

now blasio cant put this plan into action without the state senate going along with it. the biased tests are mandated by a state law. he can and will however use his power (as he should have done years ago) to as much as double the dismally small black and latino enrollment through a number of adjustments he can make, but instead of doing that first to start fixing the problem hes decided to stoke a parental race war over top high school seats while he waits for the republican senate majority to fall out of power.

the status quo needs to change but this feels like a particularly divisive way to go about it and pretty drat late in his term too but im no politician.

How is BdB so loving bad at this?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KomradeX posted:

Every time I see people talk about the proposed change to the tests it all seems like they're clutching their pearls at "lowering standards" its been a pain in the rear end to see all day

when you get a magnet school thats 5% latino in nyc you are loving up so hard its unbelievable

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How is BdB so loving bad at this?

The guy seemed so progressive when he was running, but he immediately revealed himself to be a buffoon who cartoonishly steps on rake after rake.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

unbutthurtable posted:

The guy seemed so progressive when he was running, but he immediately revealed himself to be a buffoon who cartoonishly steps on rake after rake.

gently caress Cuomo, right? But still... wtf, BdB? WTF?!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd rather have Teachout than Tish James, but both of them are very good.

De Blasio is a world-class idiot and if he had a quarter of a brain, he could stick it to Cuomo, who is competent by comparison.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

gently caress Cuomo, right? But still... wtf, BdB? WTF?!

Oh, Cuomo is a loving grease trap elemental, don't get me wrong.

BdB is just stupid and completely politically incompetent.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

further proof that the daily news is always right

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
abolish "top" high schools

-hchs grad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets do it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hunter High School was 15% black and hispanic in the 1980s and they make up 2% of the student body today, and that's not even one of the top specialty public high schools in NYC. i'd kill for BdB having just a sliver of political acumen instead of being the dipshit that he is

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hunter admission is separate and really hosed up like their kindergarten evaluates 3 year olds for iq and poo poo with a straight face

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

hunter admission is separate and really hosed up like their kindergarten evaluates 3 year olds for iq and poo poo with a straight face
like stuyvesant doesn't?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get that OUT of my face posted:

like stuyvesant doesn't?

stuy takes only the score of the afforementioned specialized high school admission test into consideration along with Btech, bxscience, t&h, and a couple other schools and they dont have below 9th grade.

in both cases tho the kids who get in are the ones that have paid for the best coaching

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

like stuyvesant doesn't?

no stuy solely considers that one test which is why the student population is entirely made up of rich kids with tutors and tons of Asians who studied 10 hours a day for it

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I bought a Cynthia for NY shirt :hellyeah:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1001924759377141765

owns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CynthiaNixon/status/1005849648693678081

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

I know it's a hugely uphill fight against Crowley but god drat do I want this lady to win.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

abolish "top" high schools

-hchs grad

this is the actual answer. But the way you abolish them is by instituting a "robinhood" school funding law, like texas had 40 years ago (finally repealed by rick perry).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

this is the actual answer. But the way you abolish them is by instituting a "robinhood" school funding law, like texas had 40 years ago (finally repealed by rick perry).

we still have it actually and it's pretty bad, because it's based on property value in the district instead of student characteristics

so my district (53% of students economically disadvantaged, 27% ESL) sends 50% of its revenue to the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I read this today and it made me laugh. Imagining 200+ riders per stop waiting for their individual ride to somehow navigate past all the other free market silicon valley Disruptormobiles in the NYC tunnels

Enjoy NYC thread.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/06/the-new-york-city-subway-is-beyond-repair/562472/

quote:

Instead of fixing the old trains, let’s rip out the tracks and fill the tunnels with fleets of autonomous vehicles running on pavement.

Savings in time and energy would come from replacing extremely heavy trains that stop at every station with lightweight vehicles that depart immediately and go directly from A to B, stopping only at one’s destination.

The stations would have to be redesigned, outfitted with little entrance and exit ramps that carry that cabs which carry the riders up to where the turnstiles are now.

The vehicles might not run as fast as the current trains—which can go 50 miles an hour or more at top speed—but the lack of stops would pay off.

The cost? The market for these vehicles is incredibly dynamic and flooded with extreme competition, producing prices that range from a high of about $1,000 down to somewhere below $150. It’s easy to find models that cost just under $300—and these come with onboard computers that sync with smartphones so you can listen to music from Bluetooth speakers while you ride.