Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What are thread thoughts on WMR vs Rift/Vive? I was planning on picking up a second hand Vive cheap once the Vive2 finally drops, but at $200 I'm sorely tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

What are thread thoughts on WMR vs Rift/Vive? I was planning on picking up a second hand Vive cheap once the Vive2 finally drops, but at $200 I'm sorely tempted.

Easiest setup by far. Decent to try out, still gives you the majority of the experience. Software is annoying. Unacceptable if you're a serious nerd about VR, but if you are you'd have bought a headset already by now. Worth it overall I think.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CapnBry posted:

Someone brought up that it would be great if VR wave shooters gave birth to VR rail shooters, which is something we don't see much of still. It would definitely make things more interesting to have some environment changes, but I'm not sure it will add much because you're still just standing in one place shooting dudes that come at you.

Serious Sam The Last Hope (croteam's VR wave shooter thing) has a few maps where you're standing on a platform that moves around the map (lift, raft, floating rock..) and enemies walk and fly around the environment, and it literally feels like I'm playing a shmup like tyrian or r-type in VR and it's one of the best VR things out there, IMO. Wish we had more like that.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

Someone brought up that it would be great if VR wave shooters gave birth to VR rail shooters, which is something we don't see much of still. It would definitely make things more interesting to have some environment changes, but I'm not sure it will add much because you're still just standing in one place shooting dudes that come at you.
It doesn't have to be just that, if the level design is good. In fact the great thing about shooting games where you're static is that they can force you to physically move around your space in a way that artificial locomotion games like Onward don't - because you have to physically move & crouch etc to use cover so you don't die. Dead & Buried was great for this. Some of the best moments of 'presence' I've had have been in that game, be it dashing out from cover on one side of my space to cover on the other side under heavy fire, or crouching down behind a saloon bar and thoughtlessly trying to lean on it as you catch your breath.

With progression through a series of locations, plus 360 degree levels, I'd think you could make some genuinely awesome moments. Looking forward to finally trying Arktika.1 some day.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

I am going to a VR cafe to try VR for the first time. They have the following games, which are worth playing? I only have a 30 minute slot, so I don't want to piddle around.

TheBlu
Space Pirate Trainer
AZ Sunshine
Tilt Brush
Climbey
Richie's Plank Experience
Beat Saber

I asked a while back for recs to try at a VR cafe in a 30 minute chunk. I opted to play the above. Overall, I thought that the tech was cool, but at this point in time I don't know that I saw anything that made me want to rush out a grab a headset. Mainly, I just wanted to say thank you for pointing me in the right direction with regards to the list such that I didn't waste my time with trash. :)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shadow225 posted:

I asked a while back for recs to try at a VR cafe in a 30 minute chunk. I opted to play the above. Overall, I thought that the tech was cool, but at this point in time I don't know that I saw anything that made me want to rush out a grab a headset. Mainly, I just wanted to say thank you for pointing me in the right direction with regards to the list such that I didn't waste my time with trash. :)

Glad you had fun! Keep in mind though the selection they had to choose from doesn't really represent almost any of the cream of the crop games out there for VR (baring beat saber, though its still only a rhythm game). Most of those are almost launch titles from 2016, and very very casual experience. Not to say any of them are bad, just a shame the arcade didn't really have anything more substantial to demo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/Oculus_Dev/status/1004052948614373376?s=19

OC5 details, I'll be there winning Echo Arena world finals if anyone is going and wants to say hi

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Looks like we're getting Moss, which was pretty well reviewed:

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1004091317255671808

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

Easiest setup by far. Decent to try out, still gives you the majority of the experience. Software is annoying. Unacceptable if you're a serious nerd about VR, but if you are you'd have bought a headset already by now. Worth it overall I think.

What are the unacceptable parts for serious-about-VR folks? I don't have any VR right now, but have been shopping around and considering a Samsung Odyssey in addition to Rift/Vive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

plester1 posted:

What are the unacceptable parts for serious-about-VR folks? I don't have any VR right now, but have been shopping around and considering a Samsung Odyssey in addition to Rift/Vive.

The tracking and comfort on the controllers is really rough when you need finesse. You can't move them very far out of your field of view (which means games where you grab something from your hip, you need to look down to do it), and the feel is so bad that using them for any length of time gets frustrating because it should just... be better. Occlusion can be a problem as well if you line up your hands with your face. The headsets themselves are also fairly uncomfortable, and the cheaper ones (non-Odyssey) don't even have IPD adjustment, which means if you aren't close to the average it'll cause additional strain on your eyes and look worse. Unless you're like super cash strapped, if you spend a decent amount of time in VR the upgrade to a Rift or Vive would be super worth it.

FWIW I have a Vive, Rift, and Odyssey.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

plester1 posted:

Unacceptable might be a little strong imo, the MSMR system is generally good but like 90% of where it needs to be before I'd call it "great". Tracking is decent, compared to PSVR its pretty solid, but there's a level of tracking swim that's just perceptible enough to trigger sim sickness in people that'd be totally comfortable in a Rift or Vive, precise head tracking is pretty critical to VR. The hand controllers work fine generally but aren't comfortable and the buttons map weirdly to SteamVR games, and also only track when you're looking at them or are just outside your field of view which is a way bigger problem than you might think. The screens in most of the MSMR HMDs are somewhat ghosty and the optics by and large suck, and they generally don't have mechanical IPD or eye relief adjustments (the Samsung one is the exception, the screen and optics are actually pretty good and it does have an IPD dial)

Its not nearly bad enough to sour someone if its their only exposure to VR, but whenever I use one I just want to rip the thing off and go back to my Vive. I think the real use case for them is a businessperson plugging them into a laptop to do VR presentations on the road and for that they're amazing, but I don't think they make particularly good gaming HMDs. Exception maybe being the screen on the Samsung one being so nice that if you were to exclusively play simulators maaaaybe that would be fine, for the price though I think you'd be better served with a Rift or Vive.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

FWIW I have a Vive, Rift, and Odyssey.

Thanks, that's a super helpful post. Any opinions or recommendations between Rift and Vive? I've tried both briefly but haven't spent that much time in VR.

A few things about my situation: I'm a glasses wearer, I won't have a ton of space for moving around, and I am often prone to motion sickness, although I've never actually been sick in VR. I've got a PC with a 1070ti, and am mostly interested in gaming stuff like Skyrim, Superhot, Elite, etc.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

plester1 posted:

Thanks, that's a super helpful post. Any opinions or recommendations between Rift and Vive? I've tried both briefly but haven't spent that much time in VR.

A few things about my situation: I'm a glasses wearer, I won't have a ton of space for moving around, and I am often prone to motion sickness, although I've never actually been sick in VR. I've got a PC with a 1070ti, and am mostly interested in gaming stuff like Skyrim, Superhot, Elite, etc.

I would not personally recommend the Odyssey over the Rift or the Vive because I personally find the controllers unacceptably bad and the headset itself is significantly less comfortable than the Rift or the Vive, and the higher resolution doesn't make up for the difference.

As far as Rift vs Vive, I personally think they're close enough overall in terms of experience and cost that I would say you should try both and choose whichever one you happen to like better. If you can't do that at all, then overall I'd say get a Rift. It's a little more annoying to get a well tracked setup (realistically you'll want 3 sensors, mounted on the ceiling pointing down), but the controllers are significantly better and the headset is more comfortable and the optics are better. They can be a little rough on glasses wearers though (I don't wear glasses so I can't comment on that personally, but I have heard the Vive is easier to fit them into).

I personally only use my Rift at this point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Looks like we're getting Moss, which was pretty well reviewed:

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1004091317255671808

Moss is great. Little bit on the short side though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Moss is great. Little bit on the short side though.

Actually his name is Quill

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ItBreathes posted:

My only other experience with VR is Daydream and Oculus Rift Dev Kit 1, but I'm enjoying Windows Mixed Reality. Really immersive, the roomscale has worked well, though I can see why people would be annoyed with the controller tracking being less than Vive or the Rift - though I still think it's worth the $200-$300 savings.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I've found the Odyssey is great for seated stuff. The visuals are somewhat ahead of Vive/Rift and really bring vehicle sims to life. It is bizarrely uncomfortable though, how did that get past really anyone at samsung?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

plester1 posted:

A few things about my situation: I'm a glasses wearer,

Just as a heads up, regardless of which you get, you'll probably benefit from getting a lens adapter. They can be found on Thingiverse and printed however you find convenient, they you buy some cheap lenses from Zenni and pop 'em in.

Example for Rift

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Actually his name is Quill

:v:

It's a she though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

:v:

It's a she though

Turns out I am the one who is owned

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It's nice to see more high quality titles coming to PC VR. It's less nice to see them hardware gated (reVIve nonwithstanding). Hopefully someone at Facebook can sweet talk some parties into getting VR RE7 (or whatever the latest one was) and Ace Combat 7's VR mode ported to PC as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its probably coming to SteamVR also, the HTC account has been tweeting at them

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Please strike 35% of the disgruntlement from my previous post from the record.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

So why wasn't it named Mossflower?

I can't help but think a licensing deal fell through on that title.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

Ace Combat 7's VR mode ported to PC as well.

Project Wingman is planning on VR support, btw.

e: trailer: https://youtu.be/0zrh1dF7YMs
VR demonstration: https://youtu.be/CXpqQe6kT_s

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 6, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ve wanted to CUM HISTORIA in VR for years.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

CapnBry posted:

VR rail shooters

I would throw money at a game porting arcade rail shooters to VR or a legitimate time crisis VR

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I upgraded my ProTube to carbon fibre tubes and magtube handles.
Assembly cost me a blood sacrifice but it's a great improvement for hand freedom.
I'd have normally swung the whole thing around to point the controller where I'd like to teleport to, now it's trivial to just detach a hand to point.
I've also started using the tube as a holder for the controllers when I need to free a hand for something, where I'd normally have let them dangle from the straps.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've had my Vive for a couple weeks now and have been having a lot of fun with it, but most of the games I've been playing have been short 1-2 hour "experiences" like The Lab, simulators like H3VR, or repetitive games like Beat Saber. These are all great games, but I've been looking for something longer to sink my teeth into. Other than Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR, are there just not that many big games available for VR? It doesn't have to be as expansive as Skyrim, but I'd like to have something in VR that I can easily put 15+ hours into.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

I've had my Vive for a couple weeks now and have been having a lot of fun with it, but most of the games I've been playing have been short 1-2 hour "experiences" like The Lab, simulators like H3VR, or repetitive games like Beat Saber. These are all great games, but I've been looking for something longer to sink my teeth into. Other than Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR, are there just not that many big games available for VR? It doesn't have to be as expansive as Skyrim, but I'd like to have something in VR that I can easily put 15+ hours into.

No VR-original games are that long because money, but Talos Principle VR should have more than fifteen hours in it if you're into that sort of thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

No VR-original games are that long because money, but Talos Principle VR should have more than fifteen hours in it if you're into that sort of thing.

Minor sidenote, but what I'd wager you're probably likely to see out of bigger studios in the next few years is the inclusion of playing in VR as an option, like Payday 2.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Talos Principle is a good puzzle game

If you feel confident in your VR sickness not sinking in, experiencing the Serious Sam collection in VR is cool and good, and you can play co-op with your flat friends. The whole croteam collection goes on sale regularly.

Payday 2 is also in this category.

fake edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Minor sidenote, but what I'd wager you're probably likely to see out of bigger studios in the next few years is the inclusion of playing in VR as an option, like Payday 2.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. I'd love to play games with friends, but most don't have a room to spare for room scale, and many of the fun games kinda need at least enough space to sidestep some projectiles or so if you want to not be completely useless compared to flatters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Yeah that's what I'm hoping. I'd love to play games with friends, but most don't have a room to spare for room scale, and many of the fun games kinda need at least enough space to sidestep some projectiles or so if you want to not be completely useless compared to flatters.

I'm really looking forward to e3 this year (aside from the usual round of big-hype titles and surprises), because we're just getting out the first year since the Vive and Oculus really got released. If you've had a look at any console that wasn't the Nintendo Switch for the past decade or two, now's the time we should start seeing a decent quantity of titles from the big developers.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm not opposed to VR ports or VR/flatscreen cross-"platform" games as long as they're done decently well, like Skyrim VR appears to be. The only reason I haven't bought that yet is because I'm on very edge of minimum requirements for VR; I have a 1060 and an i5-4570, a processor from over 4 years ago. I haven't run into any problems with what I've played so far, but I'm afraid something like Skyrim might be too much for my current rig.

I have Payday 2 and the VR port looked good for the 30 minutes or so I messed around with it. I like how VR players can shoot while interacting with drills and other objects. I'll check out Talos Principle too.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Spoggerific posted:

I'm not opposed to VR ports or VR/flatscreen cross-"platform" games as long as they're done decently well, like Skyrim VR appears to be. The only reason I haven't bought that yet is because I'm on very edge of minimum requirements for VR; I have a 1060 and an i5-4570, a processor from over 4 years ago. I haven't run into any problems with what I've played so far, but I'm afraid something like Skyrim might be too much for my current rig.

To my knowledge you'd be fine with a 1060 and i5 for Skyrim. It's not nearly as demanding as FO4. Also you can add mods to make it more performant if you have any issues.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Spoggerific posted:

This was in answer to another kind of post but still basically the same topic - big/essential games:

El Grillo posted:

Here are some of the big ones:

I think it's pretty much universally agreed that Lone Echo is a must-play experience and probably the best single player VR game so far. But it looks like you haven't played Echo Arena, its free multiplayer? Definitely need to check both of them out. ~6hrs playtime.

The Mage's Tale is another big singleplayer. It's fun, more lengthy than almost any other purpose-built VR game out there (~10hrs), and the visuals are decent, but there's a bit of a lack of polish.

Brass Tactics as someone already mentioned is the latest, and it has a free demo. First (really awesome) proper RTS from some of the Age of Empires devs. Campaign is ~4hrs or so, but there are a bunch of SP skirmish missions plus PVP and coop multiplayer.

Landfall is another good RTS type game but focuses on controlling individual mech characters on smaller arenas.

Sprint Vector is a multiplayer that just came out, it's kind of a Mario-cart-type racing game but without the carts. Look up some videos, it's sort of hard to describe, there's lots of flying.

From Other Suns is described as a cross between Faster Than Light and Borderlands. It's a single player/co-op game where you command your own spaceship and travel across the galaxy, fighting AI enemies either in space with your ship, or in FPS by jumping onto other ships and space stations. Some people say it gets monotonous due to the proc gen used for combat environments. But it's pretty polished and fun and the feeling of piloting your ship with your own crew, with the various different jobs of engineer etc.. definitely gave me a Firefly trip. Up to 4 player co-op or you can play with AI on your side. ~4hrs for one playthrough.

Arktika.1 is a very polished FPS single player from the Metro devs, apparently it's great unless you have a searing hatred of teleportation gameplay. ~6hrs playtime.

Wilson's Heart is another singleplayer first person experience, it's a noire first person puzzler/gothic horror game but in reality is more of a long-form interactive narrative experience. People still really seem to like it though despite the lack of in-depth gameplay mechanics. ~6hrs playtime.

In a somewhat similar vein, The Invisible Hours is a totally non-interactive, 'virtual immersive theatre' experience. It's a murder mystery in a mansion with a whole story all going on at once - so you choose how to experience it, which characters to follow and in which order. Really awesome apparently despite somewhat mediocre visuals.

Mission: ISS is a simulation of the internal US side of the ISS (and the whole thing in EVA mode). Very cool.

Obduction is Myst in VR. Very good if you like that sort of thing, but there have been performance problems so it's worth staying under two hours playtime so you can refund, unless & until you're happy with how it runs on your machine. ~15 to 20hrs.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is what it sounds like. Really fun with a good crew, lots of capacity for amusing idiocy. Only criticisms are that it's visually somewhat meh, and whilst there's a good amount of content, the actual number of campaign missions is a bit limited.

Google Earth VR is mindblowing.

Res Infinite is beautiful and trippy as hell.

Fallout 4 VR is Fallout 4 in VR. Typical Bethesda jank where you have to use community mods to get it to run properly.

Assume you know about Onward/Pavlov. Good fps's of very different types.

Arkham VR is actually great even though it's a quite short. Weirdly enough, the last half is one of the best narrative uses of VR I've seen. The visual polish is loving great too.

Updated old stuff:
I Expect You To Die had another mission added to it for free, so there's probably a solid two to three hours' content in there now. Even more worth checking out if you never did.
The Unspoken released a single player campaign which was pretty cool and visually great, unsurprisingly short though.
Rec Room now has a whole bunch of quests, including the pirate one they just released, and also customisable persistent community rooms where you can build poo poo, kind of like a paired-down Garry's Mod.
Big Screen added large multiplayer spaces recently, and you can broadcast your screen to all other players with audio if you have a decent upload bandwidth.

...also, Chronos was the longest early VR game, it's gamepad only but still a good one with some great VR tricks.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Spoggerific posted:

You could take a look at Mage's Tale, its a dungeon crawl RPG, ~10 hours in length, with a ton of secrets, spell combinations, and some gorgeous dungeons.

You may want to also look into setting up revive and checking out some of the stuff on the Oculus store, as that is generally where you're going to find more of the longer and polished single player experiences.

Check out Lone Echo, a story based, beautiful sci fi game thats ~8 hours to complete (depending on how fast you are, how much you go hunting for optional stuff), and while obviously no 2 peoples opinions are the same, its not only what I consider the best VR game I've played, but one of the best games I've played in the last 10 years. It uses a zero gravity locomotion based on grabbing and pushing off the environment. If you want to test it out, try Echo Arena, the multiplayer component to it, as its free (and a great multiplayer game in its own right) and uses all the same movement styles.

Chronos is a 3rd person action RPG, and one of the longer games, at probably 10-12 hours to finish. You need a gamepad to play this as its almost more like a dark souls thing, which may sound odd for VR, but its really wonderful with the scale and beauty within VR.

Wilson's Heart is an adventure game, but very straight forward, almost more like an interactive movie, and has some faults. Its still a single player experience I really enjoyed with the style and world thats built up, a love letter to black and white horror movies, with some marvelous set pieces. Its probably about a ~6 hour game to finish, but if a single player story is what you're looking for, its something to consider.

Arktika.1 is a shooter by the developers of the metro series, so it looks gorgeous, and is fairly long single player game (again, for VR) of 6-8 hours. Theres a ton of guns, and upgrades, mods and such you can invest into, secrets to find, challenges that give you more upgrade points if you want to replay levels and try for them. It got flack for its locomotion, which is teleport only, but its a very polished and solid game, that aside.

Edge of Nowhere This is a bit shorter, probably 5 hours max, and its a 3rd person stealth action game. It is however one of my favorites, and is all a big fantastic homage to Lovecraft stories, maybe not worth it at full price, if you're not into the idea of 3rd person games in VR, but something to keep in mind if that Lovecraft setting appeals to you and its on sale.

This isn't so much single player story based, though it certainly is fully playable single player, but if you're a fan of FTL From Other Suns is basically a first person straight up VR remake of FTL. Roguelike elements, every run is different, you're traveling to get home, being chased, each stop is something random, but where it becomes more thatn FTL is boarding enemy ships, beaming off to stations fro random missions, repelling borders, etc, where it becomes a shooter with a bunch of different random weapons with random stats, so you get a bit of that item hunting fulfillment.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really looking forward to e3 this year (aside from the usual round of big-hype titles and surprises), because we're just getting out the first year since the Vive and Oculus really got released. If you've had a look at any console that wasn't the Nintendo Switch for the past decade or two, now's the time we should start seeing a decent quantity of titles from the big developers.

Yeah I think theres going to be a lot to see, even just whats already been hinted and shown a bit, theres that VR game from Respawn coming out next year I'm sure we'll finally see some details on, Insomniac just teased a few days ago some new open world VR game, there will likely be some more info on that spy adventure that was teased back at GDC, that Marvel VR game has been radio silent since october of last year, Echo Combat is coming, as well as possibly teases of a sequel or something to Lone Echo.

Not to mention smaller stuff coming like Windlands 2, Pavlov's battle royale offshoot, Vox machinae, and more.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Edison was a dick posted:

I upgraded my ProTube to carbon fibre tubes and magtube handles.
Assembly cost me a blood sacrifice but it's a great improvement for hand freedom.
I'd have normally swung the whole thing around to point the controller where I'd like to teleport to, now it's trivial to just detach a hand to point.
I've also started using the tube as a holder for the controllers when I need to free a hand for something, where I'd normally have let them dangle from the straps.

Yesssss, CF magtube supremacy! I just got the latest carbon fibre prototype magtube cups the other day and played some stand out with them last night and it’s a thing of beauty. The previous magtube prototype cups were quite a bit heavier but still so good compared to normal methods, now it’s just like butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Yesssss, CF magtube supremacy! I just got the latest carbon fibre prototype magtube cups the other day and played some stand out with them last night and it’s a thing of beauty. The previous magtube prototype cups were quite a bit heavier but still so good compared to normal methods, now it’s just like butter.

Guys with the new magtubes, are you using Touch controllers or Vive controllers? I got a knockoff stock and it works well with Vive controllers but just doesn't seem to work well for me with touch controllers.