Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fenris13 posted:

With Rain of Arrows, point blank and Chin Sol count the distance from where you target it to the target hit, so against a boss if you target right on him, you should get almost all your bonuses, obviously trash gets melted no problem, even if you target at your feet.

Unless the rework for RoA changed what the game considers the origin, no.

https://dd.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3xsvb7/rory_just_confirmed_that_point_blank_does_not/

Also, having played RoA exclusively with Chin Sol for a couple of days now ( bought mine when they were 10c+ )the damage bonus from it only applies when you get in their face.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Deki posted:

I didn't see anything posted about the purge/invites, so I'd still like an invite on TG_Big_Vaaler_Brand.

Good name

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Hamburger Test posted:

https://dd.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3xsvb7/rory_just_confirmed_that_point_blank_does_not/

Also, having played RoA exclusively with Chin Sol for a couple of days now ( bought mine when they were 10c+ )the damage bonus from it only applies when you get in their face.

Wait...what this changes everything. I always thought the entire skill gets the bonus based on where you click the arrow. Well it doesn't really change that much. I can start clicking on enemies and moving closer for bosses I guess.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So I haven't played since 2.2 but I was thinking yesterday, how am I so loving poor? Then a goon earlier posted about forming a team to farm unid rares for chaos. I'd completely forgotten about that and had been dumping my rares randomly at vendors or on the floor instead of making a suit of it for chaos. Go me....

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ugh, is losing access to brutal fervor worth taking impact and dropping melee splash on a flicker slayer

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tai posted:

So I haven't played since 2.2 but I was thinking yesterday, how am I so loving poor? Then a goon earlier posted about forming a team to farm unid rares for chaos. I'd completely forgotten about that and had been dumping my rares randomly at vendors or on the floor instead of making a suit of it for chaos. Go me....

The goon was being sarcastic. Having 5-6 people farming rares nonstop and shoving them through the chaos recipe as a super secret way of making money is ridiculous, and is not how rich people make their money.

The rate of return and inventory management of that is kind of like picking up nickels as a job. Yeah, technically it might have a little higher rate of return than just picking up valuable stuff, but it's annoying and time consuming to spend your time on inventory management instead of killing dudes.

Just kill lots of things, try to have a build that can push into yellow/red maps, collect currency and valuable uniques and sell them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So it's finally time to start planning a second character, though I won't roll it until I'm done with Shaper in a few days. I'm doing Elemental Hit, wander style. Probably two sets of it, one for single and one for multi, with the single being in a Frostferno and the multi in something else.

I'm going Avatar of Fire with the blocking jewels.

My options are: Elementalist w/ Yoke for the shocks and absurd prolif, Deadeye for all around greatness, or Scion (Inquisitor/Assassin + Deadeye) for sicknasty crits via Might of the Meek. If I do Scion or Deadeye I'll be using a Xophs.

I cannot for the life of me decide past this point. Ugh.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Just want to make sure everyone knows about this:

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds

Select the main skill, the skill mode (trap, mine, totem, normal), then pick any keystones to find high level builds actually doing that. Then click passive tree heat map and the red lines are pretty much the required nodes.

It makes coming up with your own builds easier seeing what others are doing.

I am using it to do my CI Arc Trapper.

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?skill=Vaal-Arc&keystone=Chaos-Inoculation&skillmode=Trap&heatmap

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I've been messing around with my self-made BV build for a while and I'm starting to feel a bit down on it now that I'm nearing red maps. So I figure it's time to bring it to the pros, but I don't know how to contact them so goons will have to do! Here's the paste: https://pastebin.com/YctkCL6y

General criticism appreciated, besides on flasks because I know what's wrong with those I'm just lazy as gently caress. Especially the tree, I started with one idea and had to change a lot through leveling clusters, my amulet, not having any good jewels, etc.

I'm quite happy with damage given where I am with my build (severely unoptimized). A bit low for real bosses once I'm getting up in levels but still fine. Playstyle and sustain are what's tripping me up. The former can't really be helped and I hope an Enlighten in the helm will help there because the low unreserved mana is a real bottleneck for fun at the moment.

Survivability, I dunno what to do. I mean it's amazing for mapping and shorter bossfights, between flasks and Vile Bastion regen. But this character just crumples against real bosses. And it's not so much I don't get why (generic leech and actually mechanically dodging poo poo until recharge starts is all I have going for me) but rather that I don't know what I'm supposed to do about it. Flasks go a long way but my damage definitely isn't killing tough bosses like the temple boss anywhere near fast enough they can last through a whole fight. Should I just give up on bossing for this character entirely? Do I just need to get better gear before going near double-digit tiers?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nerox posted:

Just want to make sure everyone knows about this:

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds

Select the main skill, the skill mode (trap, mine, totem, normal), then pick any keystones to find high level builds actually doing that. Then click passive tree heat map and the red lines are pretty much the required nodes.

It makes coming up with your own builds easier seeing what others are doing.

I am using it to do my CI Arc Trapper.

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?skill=Vaal-Arc&keystone=Chaos-Inoculation&skillmode=Trap&heatmap

I've been doing the same thing lately, it's good getting a guideline of what you'd want a build to look like and see what other people have made functional.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Velveteen posted:

Ok so I'm really liking Rain of Arrows and if anyone is wondering if its good, its very good. The AoE is big enough to cover the entire screen when shooting at your feet so you can take advantage of Chin Sol and Point Blank for huge multipliers. Because of the "half of the arrows will directly land on targets if they are within range" on the skill, it melts bosses in single target too. It puts barrage's single target damage to shame. I haven't had this much fun with a bow build before. Currently using crappy self found rares along with a Starkonja's Hood I found. Spent 1c getting a Chin Sol and another 1c getting a hrimsorrow for 90% cold conversion. Atziri's flask was a donation from a kind goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXBvhd1xXHE - T10 8 mod map with Deadeye

Really budget gear on a 5l. I'm sure the damage can reach pretty incredible levels if you have some good gear on. I'll see how it does in red maps in the next few days.

I've always wanted to do rain of arrows but everything I read always says it's inferior to TS or wahtever.. do you have a PoB pastebin I can check out :)

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Hamburger Test posted:

My Mistake, I took the meaning of "where the skill was fired" to be fired at, not fired from. This actually makes Rain of Faps even more desirable, as you can move the origin around via traps without getting into pb range.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know I think I'm a bit totem-sick because of how many variants I played over the past few years.
How's self-cast Arc doing?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
One of these days I'll get a Siege Ballista build fleshed out, I'm just not sure what's be most effective: Hyrri and go for elemental damage or pure phys bleed.

Either that or a Warcry build.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

whalestory posted:

I've always wanted to do rain of arrows but everything I read always says it's inferior to TS or wahtever.. do you have a PoB pastebin I can check out :)

I actually don't use path of building. I just pick my skill points off poeskilltree and then change around as I play the character. I'll tell you what I have and you can calculate the dps yourself with pathofbuilding.

Current tree is: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr..._GK8rj8xf1u_94=

Chin Sol for weapon, Hrimsorrow for conversion. If you have lioneye's fall replace the leech circle with the claw half circle for leech.
5L using vaal rain of arrows, physical projectile damage, weapon elemental damage, cold penetration, slower projectiles. Since rain of arrows isn't a projectile it doesn't get slowed down but still gains the damage from projectile attacks. Not sure what I want for the last link, probably faster attacks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

whalestory posted:

It is of you're going wind ripper mf with gg gear in the non unique slots. Because you can make ts more powerful through helm enchant and quiver and shaper flask. Roa has.....

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If someone told me a month ago that Elemental Hit Traps would be the next UltimaBuild (TM) I would not have been able to take them in good faith.

But here we are. On a 5L at like lvl 72 and missing huge parts of my tree:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ultima66 posted:

If someone told me a month ago that Elemental Hit Traps would be the next UltimaBuild (TM) I would not have been able to take them in good faith.

What a time to be alive

Yellow Elder dropped a Shimmeron for me last night so now I have an Inpulsa's with 3ex left over. On the whole I still think a Shroud of the Lightless would be better short of a 6L inpulsa's which I'll never get, but it's still a fun item to have. It's particularly noticeable in Incursions, easily full clear them again (was starting to cut the timer pretty close before). Probably will actually hit 90 with this one, which is a rarity for me.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mo_Steel posted:

One of these days I'll get a Siege Ballista build fleshed out, I'm just not sure what's be most effective: Hyrri and go for elemental damage or pure phys bleed.

Ive been thinking about as well. Got prophecies for Hyri's Demise and Wildwrap just chilling in my stash for once I get tired of blade vortex. I'm guessing hierophant is the best option and then full on Iron commander, cyclopean coil, shaper gloves, etc for all the dex bonuses.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah... Chin Sol is really effective with bow-based traps since they're basically always going to get the double damage.

Also I only now found out that the Combat Focus jewels don't need to be in hybrid slots. They need 40 total of one stat or the other or a mix, not 40 of each. This means you can put the str/int one in a str slot or an int slot or one of the str/int slots. This could potentially make pathing easier.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

McFrugal posted:

Also I only now found out that the Combat Focus jewels don't need to be in hybrid slots.

:aaaaa:

This changes things.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

What's your build?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Velveteen posted:

I actually don't use path of building. I just pick my skill points off poeskilltree and then change around as I play the character. I'll tell you what I have and you can calculate the dps yourself with pathofbuilding.

Current tree is: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr..._GK8rj8xf1u_94=

Chin Sol for weapon, Hrimsorrow for conversion. If you have lioneye's fall replace the leech circle with the claw half circle for leech.
5L using vaal rain of arrows, physical projectile damage, weapon elemental damage, cold penetration, slower projectiles. Since rain of arrows isn't a projectile it doesn't get slowed down but still gains the damage from projectile attacks. Not sure what I want for the last link, probably faster attacks.

If you give your account profile link he can just import the character into PoB

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bugsy posted:

Ive been thinking about as well. Got prophecies for Hyri's Demise and Wildwrap just chilling in my stash for once I get tired of blade vortex. I'm guessing hierophant is the best option and then full on Iron commander, cyclopean coil, shaper gloves, etc for all the dex bonuses.

I am thinking Heiro too but then keeping 9 of them up and running seems silly. Maybe not going Iron Commander is better then?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
So I got a Taste of Hate.

I know they are expensive, but I've never had one to play with. Is there a particular build that having one enables?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its not really a build defining item, but its good on a bunch of different ones. Anything that uses phys damage with get some benefit, doubly so if you use phys damage but scale ele damage via conversion. Its especially good because its a damage flask and a defensive flask in one.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Did The Purge happen? This isn't half as compelling without Goonchat :saddowns:

Still ZapNoodles

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

What's your build?

Ele (s)Hit traps. Was going to go RoA/Blast Rain but then looking at template builds from the HC ladder I wasn't happy with trying to get a decent amount of flat damage to use with Chin Sol. So I tried out Lightning Arrow while leveling to simulate Ele Hit and didn't really have a problem with pack clear so I remade the tree for Ele Hit.

Tree is very much still a WIP. I might end up cutting 3 points on Pierce nodes and either use a Penetrating Arrow Quiver, Rigwald's Quills, or Chain/Fork/Pierce instead of one of the supports in my AoE setup. Here is the latest planned lvl 94 tree: https://www.poeurl.com/bXud

Protip for Bow Saboteurs by the way: The Effigon is a like the entire Champion 4 point Taunt branch on a single amulet, as long as you can reliably blind enemies. Saboteur can reliably blind now, it's quite a bit harder with any other ascendancy.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

I am thinking Heiro too but then keeping 9 of them up and running seems silly. Maybe not going Iron Commander is better then?

Keeping a bunch of totems up is easy with Heirophant's super fast placement speed.
When I was playing around with IC last league, 7-8 seemed like the sweet spot. If you focus too much on dex on the tree for max totems you lose out on damage per totem which can result on less damage overall. You could probably build around some other bow while staying heirophant but in that case some other ranged attack totem is probably better than siege ballista.
I'm no pro at PoB but it seemed like Iron Commander was the best option for siege ballista, and I could get around 500k dps total with them with a 5L and relatively cheap gear(Astramentis being the most expensive base item). I got frustrated with it though since last league was bestiary and totems suuuuuucked for capturing beasts. ESPECIALLY siege ballista since the damage is so chunky.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
Gentlemen, I present to you my Fire Arc build - https://pastebin.com/zxW9QbAc

Why did I make a fire arc build? Because I can, that's why. Also, I wanted better sustain than I could get with an elementalist, and I am burned out on inquisitor.

the general Idea is to use iron will and Doon. Then just stack strength, life, and regen.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Are there any viable ranged attack totem builds? I was thinking about trying something with Scion and taking Heiro/deadeye ascendancies and having 3 totems all shooting out Burning Arrows (or something. Doesn't matter to me what skill.) I love the idea of turrets. I'm currently doing an arc totem heiro and it is really fun, but something about totems firing arrows is very appealing to me.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Scags posted:

Are there any viable ranged attack totem builds? I was thinking about trying something with Scion and taking Heiro/deadeye ascendancies and having 3 totems all shooting out Burning Arrows (or something. Doesn't matter to me what skill.) I love the idea of turrets. I'm currently doing an arc totem heiro and it is really fun, but something about totems firing arrows is very appealing to me.

Siege Ballista is probably a better choice

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Scags posted:

Tornado shot probably works. But for totems you should probably go full hiero. The more totems you get, the more damage after all.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
When did the thread title change? Subtle and well played.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any room in the guild? WegeneValere could use an invite if so

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do any of you use the official trade site instead of poe.trade? any idea why the live search gong sound would be going off when i dont have a live search active?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

do any of you use the official trade site instead of poe.trade? any idea why the live search gong sound would be going off when i dont have a live search active?

Maybe you're the millionth visitor? Congratulations! *GONG*

Try Ctrl+F5 to force the page to reload all it's assets, maybe there's something stuck on the page. After that try clearing cookies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I really don't like the official search page, it feels really claustrophobic. Poe.trade on the other hand, even with an ad blocker, occasionally slows to a crawl when trying to run searches. I find it a lot more readable though and I stick to that unless I run into issues with results being outdated.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mo_Steel posted:

Try Ctrl+F5 to force the page to reload all it's assets
i think this fixed it. thanks

Zero VGS posted:

I really don't like the official search page, it feels really claustrophobic. Poe.trade on the other hand, even with an ad blocker, occasionally slows to a crawl when trying to run searches. I find it a lot more readable though and I stick to that unless I run into issues with results being outdated.
it seems to be updating a lot faster than poe.trade which is leaving old listings up for awhile after they sell right now

also i just noticed that it has a button to copy an item so you can easily put it into pob which is really cool and i dont think poe.trade has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
OK, so im doing my first ever arc totem build and i finally hit maps as a hierophant. Whats a good mapping wand to use until i can farm up enough c for shimmeron?

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 7, 2018