Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Gloss - Airbrush Pledge Floor Care with Future
Matte - Testors Dullcote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dexefiend posted:

Matte - Testors Dullcote

Same but Future I use for semigloss, and Tamiya x-22 for gloss.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Ugleb posted:

Your Mortarion scheme is better than the studio. Those bright wings are great!

How did you do the branches on the Wraith Knight? Lord. Eldar robot. I haven't seen a robot treeman before and I like it.

Thank you!

Those are the GW Creeping Vines. They're really good - they're a soft, bendable plastic that you can wrap around things to a degree. It takes washes amazingly well, the paint is just Rakarth Flesh + Reikland Fleshshade and then a variety of yellows and oranges for the leaves.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

dexefiend posted:

Matte - Testors Dullcote

Can you get Testors Dullcote in a non-rattlecan form?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Yes. It's a lacquer bottle from Testors.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are spray paints that are paint and primer ok to use for models?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

Are spray paints that are paint and primer ok to use for models?

You can, but I'd be afraid that it might go on a bit thick. Try it with a test model first. What are you thinking of? If it's the Army Painter paint, you're good (though I always have bad luck with those sprays.) If you're looking at Krylon or something, why not just use a flat black/white/gray? The problem with the colored paints is that you aren't going to get a match for your bottle paint. Touchups are going to look bad.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can, but I'd be afraid that it might go on a bit thick. Try it with a test model first. What are you thinking of? If it's the Army Painter paint, you're good (though I always have bad luck with those sprays.) If you're looking at Krylon or something, why not just use a flat black/white/gray? The problem with the colored paints is that you aren't going to get a match for your bottle paint. Touchups are going to look bad.

i'm looking at the stuff from home depot and a craft store near me and that seems to be all they got. I dont have the time today to drive at least a half hour to go buy the Cidital Paint one so I was hoping for another brand of something.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Touchups are going to look bad.

To elaborate, most non-hobby spray paints are lacquer, and paint+primers will tend to have a complete finish instead of a paint-receptive surface like primers. Any manual touch-ups are going to look really off in terms of sheen, blending into the base coat will be difficult, and you're going to have trouble getting paint to stick to the finished surface unless you put it on thick (at which point it ends up looking terrible.) Since your acrylic paint wont have the kind of surface bond that acrylic-on-primer gets your miniature may be prone to paint flaking off, as well.

If you want lacquer-vibrant colors for miniatures you're best off just looking into white primer + inks (unless what you're looking for is a metallic).

Wal-marts tend to have a small selection of cans in a locked cabinet near Automotive, if that's near you.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 6, 2018

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

i'm looking at the stuff from home depot and a craft store near me and that seems to be all they got. I dont have the time today to drive at least a half hour to go buy the Cidital Paint one so I was hoping for another brand of something.

I use Rustoleum Painter's Touch or Krylon for priming and they've always worked fine for me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there a Lowes, or WalMart near you? They will have Krylon flat/matte (or something similar) for like $2.50 a can. HD doesn't sell Krylon, iirc, but whatever their $2-$3 per can flat/matte should be ok.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Personally I like Valspar

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ok i'll take another look tommrow. In the mean time I got a bottle of Simple Green Pro HD to strip what I already did. (Its a bottle of purple stuff.) Did 1 cup of the stuff and four cups water as per the bottle's instructions. Now the wraith lord and war walker are just soaking.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've recently started painting 40k miniatures, and think I got a little confused as to what exactly an undercoat actually is. I thought that the spray can of Macragge Blue, that I bought from GW, was the same thing as doing an undercoat AND a basecoat simultaneously. This is not the case? It seems to work just fine as a starting point for dry brushing and painting in details. I've already finished one of my intercessor squads, and want to check here before I begin on the rest of my army, in case I'm doing it wrong. Should I be spraying them all black with that Chaos Black undercoat first, letting it dry, then spraying on the Macragge blue base paint afterwards? Will it affect the finished colour noticeably?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
An undercoat is just a layer of paint you use to affect the final layer; if you paint over black your final layer will be darker, over white it will be whiter. If you prefer to heavily thin your paints they might get a blue tinge if you apply directly over the blue base; in that event you'd use a black/grey to neutralize it.

It's by no means a mandatory apply-to-all-models thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I airbrush gesso and it works well for me for primer chat.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Gunder posted:

I've recently started painting 40k miniatures, and think I got a little confused as to what exactly an undercoat actually is. I thought that the spray can of Macragge Blue, that I bought from GW, was the same thing as doing an undercoat AND a basecoat simultaneously. This is not the case? It seems to work just fine as a starting point for dry brushing and painting in details. I've already finished one of my intercessor squads, and want to check here before I begin on the rest of my army, in case I'm doing it wrong. Should I be spraying them all black with that Chaos Black undercoat first, letting it dry, then spraying on the Macragge blue base paint afterwards? Will it affect the finished colour noticeably?

All the citadel rattlecan spray paints are primer.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Two Beans posted:

I guess I'll just stick to the Macragge Blue spray for my ultramarines undercoating then. I'm planning on covering them all in that Munitorum Varnish spray at the end anyway, so hopefully, the paint will be protected from chipping and rubbing off with that stuff on it. (I get decent discounts on GW stuff, so it almost always works out cheaper than whatever else is on offer).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Two Beans posted:

Are they? I thought I recently saw/heard something saying that this was not the case.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The first post in this thread actually states:

quote:

It should be noted that Citadel/Games Workshop primer is widely considered NOT a primer, it’s merely spray paint. But many people still use it and are happy with it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BigRed0427 posted:

Citadel (and any hobby primers) are just off batches of Rustoleum or Krylon anyway.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I nabbed a Badger 105 new and on the cheap, can anyone recommend a good and affordable compressor and any other items I might need? Apart from cleaning gear, I already got recommendations on that from a friend.

For now I'm just gonna borrow my uncle's loud af compressor, but I'd prefer something I can have in my back basement and don't have to use in the garage

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

Citadel (and any hobby primers) are just off batches of Rustoleum or Krylon anyway.

That info is a little dated and/or wrong. Citadel sprays are meant to be used on bare plastic, and anyone that has ever tried to strip them afterwards can absolutely confirm that it does contain a bonding agent.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong drat post on mobile. I meant to reply to the OP indicating that Citadel sprays aren’t primer and potentially need to be applied to primer.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Shadin posted:

That info is a little dated and/or wrong. Citadel sprays are meant to be used on bare plastic, and anyone that has ever tried to strip them afterwards can absolutely confirm that it does contain a bonding agent.
Does this still apply to the last generation of primers, e.g. Corax White? I've used Skull White with good effect, but heard bad things about the new one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

I nabbed a Badger 105 new and on the cheap, can anyone recommend a good and affordable compressor and any other items I might need? Apart from cleaning gear, I already got recommendations on that from a friend.

For now I'm just gonna borrow my uncle's loud af compressor, but I'd prefer something I can have in my back basement and don't have to use in the garage

I don't have a specific recommendation beyond make sure you get one that has a tank on it.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpost from 40k thread:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Does this still apply to the last generation of primers, e.g. Corax White? I've used Skull White with good effect, but heard bad things about the new one.

It definitely applies to the new ones. I didn’t start painting until 2016 so all I’ve used is Chaos Black, Leadbelcher, and Caliban Green from the new lineup.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

One of the Master compressors with a tank would be good. I would grab one of the airbrush combos so you have a spare on hand in case your 105 has issues. You will need an Badger adapter kit and some teflon thread tape, because the 105 leaks air like a son of a bitch (at least mine does.)

Major Spag posted:

Xpost from 40k thread:

That's a solid red. I like them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

One of the Master compressors with a tank would be good. I would grab one of the airbrush combos so you have a spare on hand in case your 105 has issues. You will need an Badger adapter kit and some teflon thread tape, because the 105 leaks air like a son of a bitch (at least mine does.)

Thanks, I'll take a look

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't have a specific recommendation beyond make sure you get one that has a tank on it.

I've been seeing this recommendation a lot.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

TheBigAristotle posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Master airbrush pack is still a really good introduction to airbrushing; I've only had two issues, one of which is my fault:

1. The cap on the air hose separated from the braided hose; I attribute this to myself because I've accidentally spilled many a solvent on said hose. In case that wasn't the reason; this happened after about a year of use.

2. After 2-3 years of use the tank has started leaking; I still need to disassemble the whole thing and see if it's just a loose nut or damaged hose.

The compressor is great and is still kicking to this day, as is the airbrush. It's not great for fine detail, but it has excellent coverage and the needle can survive everything short of intentionally trying to break it. Excellent priming/base coat/varnish brush, useful alongside a fine brush both so you can use two colors at once for easy weird blending before cleaning out the colors, and to offload the gruntwork from your pricier brush.

E: Tanks are recommended a lot because it means your compressor can work up a reserve of compressed air then wait for you to use it up; without the tank long sessions will overheat and eventuallt wear oyt your compressor's motor, as it will be running the entire time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want to do the following, could anyone confirm it's not a terrible idea?

My goal is to paint Ironjawz in yellow using the stuff I already own.

* Vallejo White Primer
* Averland Sunset all the miniatures using an airbrush. Thin it down 50/50 with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner, apply maybe two coats?
* Do the shading on the armor
* Airbrush with Vallejo Golden Yellow (also thinned down 50/50).
* Then do the skin, pants, bindings, etc.

What I'm really concerned about is having a nice yellow armor that's not too bright and doesn't look like poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That should work just fine, though I question why sandwich the shading between two coats. If you shade the white primer with grey-darkgrey-black they will survive a couple extra coats just fine.

speaking of airbrushing, I heavily recommend Vallejo Liquid Mask to everyone; you can brush it on (immediately clean the brush with warm water and soap after) areas to protect them if you're not confident about your airbrush precision. Very useful for Eldar patterns that aren't straight tapeable lines.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 6, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Just make sure you have an adaptor for the Badger. They use their own size. I think the newer Badgers might come with one these days, I'm not certain. My Sotar 20/20 did.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Neurolimal posted:

That should work just fine, though I question why sandwich the shading between two coats. If you shade the white primer with grey-darkgrey-black they will survive a couple extra coats just fine.

speaking of airbrushing, I heavily recommend Vallejo Liquid Mask to everyone; you can brush it on (immediately clean the brush with warm water and soap after) areas to protect them if you're not confident about your airbrush precision. Very useful for Eldar patterns that aren't straight tapeable lines.

I was thinking to do the shading using either a Seraphim Sepia or Cassandora Yellow wash, as I've seen recommended on a few tutorials. They usually do it after the layer coat. Would it look better if I did a shade on the primer like you suggested?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Philthy posted:

Just make sure you have an adaptor for the Badger. They use their own size. I think the newer Badgers might come with one these days, I'm not certain. My Sotar 20/20 did.

My patriot didn't come with one, I got a quick disconnect pair which works well instead of a hose adapter.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Booyah- posted:

My patriot didn't come with one, I got a quick disconnect pair which works well instead of a hose adapter.

Same. Adapters are cheap and easy to find, you'll feel real dumb if you forget one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Serenade posted:

Same. Adapters are cheap and easy to find, you'll feel real dumb if you forget one.

Cheap yes, easy to find no. At least not in person.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Dang, I'm glad that someone already came in to ask the questions about compressors. With this ebay sale it would almost be irresponsible not to buy an airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Furism posted:

I was thinking to do the shading using either a Seraphim Sepia or Cassandora Yellow wash, as I've seen recommended on a few tutorials. They usually do it after the layer coat. Would it look better if I did a shade on the primer like you suggested?

Like most topics in painting it's up to personal preference. There's nothing wrong with your plan, just thought I'd point that out.

Zenithal Priming (i.e priming white, then airbrushing black/grey paint or primer around panel lines and edges) offers some pretty lovely blended shading for large surfaces, while washes are great for harshly darkening recesses, they're not incompatible but it depends on what kind of style you want to go with.