Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I was joking about the comments I'd seen about Chinese influence across previous articles but okay? If I wasn't being hyperbolic enough to make it obvious then sorry I guess.
i think the point is that if your immediate reaction to people's real pain and a dude's real racism, based in real war crimes, is to leap at the chance to make a lukewarm burn on the ann forums, it's kind of insufferable. the solution here isnt more hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Yes hello, I think it is in fact not a good thing.

A radical stance. Do you have any basis for this theory?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ill post the actual story since ann and half of everyone here just talks around it

the author called China a land of worms and Korea the raped country,

the amount of men the mc killed with sword was 3712. the rape of nanking as you might know took place in the 12th month of 1937. and of course, there was a famous competition of japanese officers killing unarmed people with swords in nanking

the mc died at the age of 94. the imperial prince who had a role at the rape of nanking died at the age of..... 94

the ln mentions him joining the chinese mafia and killing 912 men (apparently, i cant actually read it). the ija arrived on.... the 9th of december.

all of this started gaining traction in china, so they blocked the website from outside of japan visitors. people started resigning. then they cancelled it and the lns.

all that said for gods sakes someone make an actual ww2 anime without any magic bullshit that isn't another tale about civilians

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in bigger news, the beatless anime website announced today the next episode will not be a recap. its having so many recaps this is actual news. however, the episode is delayed by 5 minutes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

ill post the actual story since ann and half of everyone here just talks around it

the author called China a land of worms and Korea the raped country,

the amount of men the mc killed with sword was 3712. the rape of nanking as you might know took place in the 12th month of 1937. and of course, there was a famous competition of japanese officers killing unarmed people with swords in nanking

the mc died at the age of 94. the imperial prince who had a role at the rape of nanking died at the age of..... 94

the ln mentions him joining the chinese mafia and killing 912 men (apparently, i cant actually read it). the ija arrived on.... the 9th of december.

all of this started gaining traction in china, so they blocked the website from outside of japan visitors. people started resigning. then they cancelled it and the lns.
thanks for this summary there wasnt actually a half decent summary of what was going on anywhere i could find

Davincie posted:

in bigger news, the beatless anime website announced today the next episode will not be a recap. its having so many recaps this is actual news. however, the episode is delayed by 5 minutes
is it still normal length or is it 5 minutes shorter than usual?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

i think the point is that if your immediate reaction to people's real pain and a dude's real racism, based in real war crimes, is to leap at the chance to make a lukewarm burn on the ann forums, it's kind of insufferable. the solution here isnt more hyperbole.

It was more that the first few articles sparked a decent amount of "it's fiction who cares" writeoffs and attempts to nitpick criticism that I found depressing, but fair.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

is it still normal length or is it 5 minutes shorter than usual?

it has a thirty minute slot from 25:30〜26:00. i did not know japan wrote their times like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

It was more that the first few articles sparked a decent amount of "it's fiction who cares" writeoffs and attempts to nitpick criticism that I found depressing, but fair.

I mean, like davinci said, so much of the english language news about it is super vague on the details to the point that I can hardly blame people for assuming it was just mildly racist/vaguely implied shady poo poo. You aren't in the discord but when those first few articles went up me and Davinci had to spend half an hour trying to crowdsource what the gently caress was even going on, and I actually know Japanese and Davinci actually knows a lot about World War 2. I can't blame some random 14 year old for not getting it when ANN's reporting is just 'a racism happened and he made some tweets.'

Obviously there's people making excuses even knowing the full details, but still.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's mostly just for TV broadcasting purposes. I can see it being a bit more clear than saying that Jojo airs on Toonami Saturdays at 12:30, since that's technically Sunday.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ohhhh wow thanks. now it makes sense what the author was doing. zoinks

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endorph posted:

you could have easily just made him a samurai in some random sengoku lord's service who got his killing experience killing other japanese and had that be his backstory. the fact that you specifically chose a scenario in which hes killed thousands of chinese is, well, weird.

good on the author for giving an actual apology, at least.

Obviously in this case it was not done in good taste or intent, but having anti-hero characters be demons or incarnations of evil is not necessarily a weird or novel thing. I could imagine a scenario where if one wanted to setup a shocking character backstory rife with violent baggage, the murder of thousands of Chinese makes for a pretty eye-catching hook, beyond some played out Sengoku figure. With good execution we'd follow the protag through a story of consequence.

It sounds like that is not anywhere near to being the case here, as it sounds like this character background was done just to be ostentatiously racist as gently caress, so yea.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Obviously in this case it was not done in good taste or intent, but having anti-hero characters be demons or incarnations of evil is not necessarily a weird or novel thing. I could imagine a scenario where if one wanted to setup a shocking character backstory rife with violent baggage, the murder of thousands of Chinese makes for a pretty eye-catching hook, beyond some played out Sengoku figure. With good execution we'd follow the protag through a story of consequence.

It sounds like that is not anywhere near to being the case here, as it sounds like this character background was done just to be ostentatiously racist as gently caress, so yea.
i mean, even using the murder of thousands of chinese civilians as fodder for a redemption story for a japanese guy is pretty hosed up. like imagine if i wrote a novel about the guy who pulled the lever at auschwitz being transported to a fantasy world. even if i was doing it to be a story about consequence it'd still be super heavy, dumb material to work with.

not to say fiction can't engage with these things at all but the premise itself when paired with bland isekai seems kind of unworkable.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Im gonna invade the discord and finally bring the long promised RAID to fruition.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If Vincie won't make me admin well have to get the codes by force...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/pkjd/status/1004383731459584000?s=21

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
finally, the shokuhou arc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Got your FLCL thread right here

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Im gonna invade the discord and finally bring the long promised RAID to fruition.

try it coward

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Parallax posted:

try it coward

Make me admin

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

finally, the shokuhou arc

finally, kinuhata's sweater design

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently to be heroine's been edited down for its japanese tv broadcast, and thats the version on western streaming sites.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This sucks, especially since the cuts are apparently just arbitrarily cutting multiple seconds of animation purely to cram the thing into standard anime episode lengths. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 6, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
an isekai, but get this, its the reincarnated soul of oskar dirlewanger

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
does 2ch have a spite buy culture, would ln sales skyrocket? sounds like he sjws played themselves!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lets play a game called guess the director!

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1004461903161298944

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1004462020467548160

It's Yamaken :lol:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

an isekai, but get this, its the reincarnated soul of oskar dirlewanger

Wasn’t there that one show with Reinhard Heydrich reincarnated as a sexy JRPG villain?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

does 2ch have a spite buy culture, would ln sales skyrocket? sounds like he sjws played themselves!

they cancelled the lns too holmes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Wasn’t there that one show with Reinhard Heydrich reincarnated as a sexy JRPG villain?
that was dies irae, and he wasnt reincarnated, he just faked his death

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
gonna be a fun century of people sucking china's face culture dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Relin posted:

what

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Relin posted:

tell me all about how much you want to kill thousands of chinese with a katana

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Relin posted:

Real good take about a series being cancelled for glorifying mass rape.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also from what I know this was a decision that was self realized and not based on outward pressure, anyways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

he called china a country of worms and called korea the raped country, you shithead.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Relin posted:

This take is ultra hot.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i posted before reading some of the elaboration, because i had only read the original ann article about china getting really mad at just being called insects and the war fantasy :shobon: the other stuff he said does go too far

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBH, I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the anatomical layout of a face culture dick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

i posted before reading some of the elaboration, because i had only read the original ann article about china getting really mad at just being called insects and the war fantasy :shobon: the other stuff he said does go too far
get banned

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Relin posted:

Haha whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Relin posted:

lol

• Locked thread