Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sab669 posted:

the company is at a point where they won't back down after we've gone this far into integrating it.

It's this. Someone higher up has put a bunch of political points into JIRA and cannot back out now.

We're a few weeks away from rolling out JIRA to our whole company. I believe it includes mandatory 100% time tracking, so you have to account for every minute of your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Protocol7 posted:

But we still have fixed release dates and predefined scope for those releases
So the only thing not fixed on the triad was cost? Did they just throw more contractors at it when something was at risk of slipping?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
What does your heart tell you?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
JIRA can be good as long as somebody who understands development is in charge of setting it up before anyone else starts using it.

The chances of this happening are left to the user.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Lumpy posted:

JIRA can be good as long as somebody who understands development is in charge of setting it up before anyone else starts using it.

The chances of this happening are left to the user.

Oh yeah, this. JIRA can be amazing.

I wish there was better JIRA <--> VSTS integration. I'd be head over heels.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pixelboy posted:

Oh yeah, this. JIRA can be amazing.

I wish there was better JIRA <--> VSTS integration. I'd be head over heels.

Having been involved in several JIRA -> VSTS migrations, I agree. The tools out there (even the paid ones) suck and it's horrifically complex to write your own migration tool.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jira was good until about 5 or 6 years ago when they decided to be EVERY SINGLE THING.

Our "workflow" at one point was an MC Escher masterpiece.

Then we scaled everything back and made it pretty simple. More of the issues now are user management when it comes to access to projects, but simplifying things reduced headaches and problems.

But we found the less we try to do with Jira, the better experience we have with it.

We're migrating Bitbucket to Gitlab this summer and seriously considering dropping Jira for it, but it's a tough sell at the moment because our backlog after 2.5 years of agile is actually really solid.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

geeves posted:

We're migrating Bitbucket to Gitlab this summer and seriously considering dropping Jira for it, but it's a tough sell at the moment because our backlog after 2.5 years of agile is actually really solid.

Why GitLab over GitHub?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelboy posted:

Why GitLab over GitHub?

I always think about it because “Auto devops” looks nice.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I haven't used Github professionally, but after 7 month of GitLab, it's a big ol' ehhhhhhhhh (GitLab is the eh to be clear)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pixelboy posted:

Why GitLab over GitHub?

Gitlab fit more into how we already operate and how we want our CI to work. We have Bitbucket and Jenkins at the moment, but while looking into upgrading Jenkins and Bitbucket, we realized that Gitlab was really suited to how we want to work as well as how we already worked. Which basically means it keeps the things we like and helps us with the things we want to improve upon all within one solution. (I'm wary of one solution options, but Gitlab at the moment is the exception)

So yes, we have to learn how the gitlab-ci.yaml works, etc. but the fact that I was able to set it up in under a day for one of our smaller products was promising. I got out main app pipeline running not long after that.

Gitlab also refreshed their UI (one of the early complaints I had). Their documentation is excellent as hell. Seriously reading their documentation can be as addictive as reading wikipedia.

Gitlab was a slightly better pricing model for our organization as well. It wasn't 9-1 decision but it was more 6-3 in the end with gitlab winning.

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 6, 2018

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Github enterprise is also as expensive, broken randomly depending on when they branched the build and a black box you can’t manage.

also most third party tools that work with github either don’t support it, or charge stupendous amounts of money to support github enterprise.

Gitlab is cheaper and does more.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
GitLab kicks rear end, it's just hard to build a good UI to represent such a rich set of features

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

geeves posted:

Jira was good until about 5 or 6 years ago when they decided to be EVERY SINGLE THING.

Our "workflow" at one point was an MC Escher masterpiece.

This has been really loving me off since it's taken 5 or 6 years for us to actually get Jira in place, and now a bunch of the stuff I looked at when trialling it years ago is trash. I keep looking up features and finding tickets explaining how they've been removed from the cloud version. Why am i resorting to tampermonkey to get things like timestamps on updates?

It didn't help that we had people setting up workflows without trying them out leading to things like START WORK and IN PROGRESS being two different buttons leading into different flow routes and no ability to go back if you clicked the wrong thing

Confluence is particularly awful now - you can't even edit using wikitext at this point and it's trying to look like a social media post instead of anything useful.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

My boss wants to get rid of all unit tests because he gets annoyed at us having to debug that and not "actual" code. He's pushing super hard for us to move to functional testing only.

edit: Or is that normal and I'm being unfair?

Shirec fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 6, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shirec posted:

My boss wants to get rid of all unit tests because he gets annoyed at us having to debug that and not "actual" code. He's pushing super hard for us to move to functional testing only.

It's bad and you should :sever:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Shirec posted:

It is a terrible idea

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:suicide:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Shirec posted:

It's normal in that there are plenty of lazy people who can't be bothered to test their code. Have fun tracking down where the bug is when the "test the thing does the thing" test fails and the surface area you have to check is the entire feature.

Our legacy codebase is exclusively functional tests and it's a nightmare, both because the functional areas are rather large and because the whole codebase was written in a way to be antagonistic to unit testing and refactoring. It's not fun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shirec posted:

holy poo poo lol

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
People that want to get rid of the unit tests want to get rid of the units too and write one huge procedure instead.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Just use customers as your QA, problem solved.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Shirec posted:

It depends on how much time you're spending trying to shoehorn mocks into tests for methods that were not ever designed by a sane person to be unit-testable in the first place.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clanpot Shake posted:

Have fun tracking down where the bug is when the "test the thing does the thing" test fails and the surface area you have to check is the entire feature.

Unit tests catch some of these, but not all. The important thing is to add a unit test in these scenarios so the code constantly has more unanticipated edge cases covered.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

Functional testing only is awful and does not work. It wasn't effective when software was shipped in boxes every 18 months, and it's only gotten less effective over time as software release cadences have accelerated.

Removing the unit tests is fine if you can say with certainty:
1. The tests are unreliable
2. The tests are invalid (not testing the correct things)
3. The tests are not salvageable as written

In that case, dumping them entirely is fine -- as long as the next step is to start rewriting them and addressing points #1 and #2.

That said, his reaction is totally normal. Among people who are bad at software development.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 6, 2018

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Hooo boy. Well I don't have any say either way so I'm sure I'll have trash fire things to talk about either way. Maybe someone will take pity and hire me with the job applications I'm papering Chicago with.

I think the big breakdown was, like y'all said earlier about doing tests and then fulfilling them, there was a major slowdown in creating them and having someone else do them (me and offshore). I also think another part of it was that for the assertions we were testing against, he wanted things verified down to an insane level (every property on every test, every conceivable type of negative testing), like maybe 30-40 assertions on some tests. When that started having problems, he threw fits about time wasted and had us strip everything but happy path out.
Then we ran into problems where our database isn't saving milliseconds so he can't verify the exact time something was created and updated. Led to a day of debugging unit tests and now wanting to get rid of testing in general.

I've noticed he has a tendency to choose a big new path for us to follow, and we do it for a week or so, run into a bump, and he gets mad. Then we get a new big better thing to do. Which leads to fragmentation. Which he then discovers way later and blames us for not spending more of our free time fixing.

Again, I might be being unfair

edit: Thought of an example of changing his mind all the time. We've had 4 very different ways of returning error codes this year. Each of them would come into logging differently and requires a not insubstantial amount of refactoring.

Shirec fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 6, 2018

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Shirec posted:

you are not

testing is one of those things where a lot of people have different ideas of how to do it correctly, and there are a lot of different ways to do it correctly that can fit certain workstreams

your boss, however, has no idea how to do it correctly, and no idea how to fit anything to your workstream

I think the thing that sticks with me most about testing is the major idea I learned in my testing class in university, which was that every decision you make while testing should be prefaced with "is this worth the time I am spending writing the test". At my previous job, some people were dogmatic about "any code change should have an associated new test or test change" and I spent a fair amount of time arguing that adding an assertion on a field mapping that someone had fatfingered to cause the defect was not worth the time spent to write the assertion (although usually I just added it if someone commented about the absence on a PR because arguing about it took more time than just adding it)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shirec, every time I see your name in the Killed By column, I hope it's you telling us all you've finally :yotj: and won't have to deal with that guy anymore.

e: hell, any time there are a batch of new posts I hope you got out and people are congratulating you

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 6, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Shirec posted:

lol, no you aren't

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Shirec, every time I see your name in the Killed By column, I hope it's you telling us all you've finally :yotj: and won't have to deal with that guy anymore.

e: hell, any time there are a batch of new posts I hope you got out and people are congratulating you

:same:

I'm emotionally invested in Shirec gtfo of there and her boss getting what's coming to him

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

TBH that's what I'm hoping I can post in here every time! I feel super bad that my one interview that I thought was going to result in an offer never materialized, I know a lot of folks posted support and encouragement, and I never was able to provide satisfaction.

Debating sending another follow up email tomorrow but I'm assuming I was ghosted (was supposed to get something on the 28th).

Jose Valasquez posted:

:same:

I'm emotionally invested in Shirec gtfo of there and her boss getting what's coming to him

:blush: It's really motivating to know I've got a bunch of folks rooting for me to succeed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
To follow up on test chat, the "tests" he was asking for sound incredibly brittle and would have provided a net negative to development time, especially once you consider the costs you've added to any refactoring you do.

I understand that when you're going with a cheap overseas outsourcing plan you have to create VERY aggressive testing at every level to ensure that they actually and correctly do the thing you ask (likely negating any savings you may have gotten in using them) but it sounds like he just outright doesn't understand testing, just like he doesn't understand anything else.

Shirec, please do go to local developer meetup and networking events. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

To follow up on test chat, the "tests" he was asking for sound incredibly brittle and would have provided a net negative to development time, especially once you consider the costs you've added to any refactoring you do.

I understand that when you're going with a cheap overseas outsourcing plan you have to create VERY aggressive testing at every level to ensure that they actually and correctly do the thing you ask (likely negating any savings you may have gotten in using them) but it sounds like he just outright doesn't understand testing, just like he doesn't understand anything else.

Shirec, please do go to local developer meetup and networking events. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Ah! That makes total sense. As to meetups, ugh I totally need to be. I’ve been battling depression/anxiety since dealing with all this but I can gumption up to get out of this hole. I’m a little worried I’ll be too obviously wanting a new job though.

What are y’alls tips for meetups and networking, with the end goal of getting a new job? I’m good with people so at least I have that (except for horrible monsters, I’m bad with them)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

What are y’alls tips for meetups and networking, with the end goal of getting a new job? I’m good with people so at least I have that (except for horrible monsters, I’m bad with them)

You're overthinking. You talk to people there like you'd talk to other people and form relationships, and sometimes those relationships lead to job opportunities.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Shirec posted:

(except for horrible monsters, I’m bad with them)
I have bad news for you about this industry

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Vulture Culture posted:

I have bad news for you about every industry

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

It can't be worse than my current boss, who just shouted "Sieg Heil" as an apparently hilarious joke.

edit: Insert Illinois Nazi joke here

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Shirec posted:

It can't be worse than my current boss, who just shouted "Sieg Heil" as an apparently hilarious joke.

Jesus Christ. Just when I think things can't get any worse, it's almost like he's trying to take being an awful human to its absurd maximum.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shirec posted:

Surprised it took this long to trip Godwin’s Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

Adolf Hitler, Hermann Göring, and Harry Caray walk into a bar…