Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Another “what the teams are working on” update:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-june-2018

3 Kingdoms news finally coming later this week, and with E3 just after there’ll probably be a deluge of stuff to talk about.

The new campaign pack for Rome 2 will get revealed soon too, probably at E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That specific Northumbria vassal gets autoannexed when you kill Westmoringas.

Also, you absolutely shouldn’t sit around waiting for units to replnish, especially when campaigning for minor cities.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Creative Assembly posted:

Those who have been craving a little more gore as they raid, pillage and, conquer will be pleased to hear that a Blood Pack is currently in development. It will be similar in scope to the Blood & Burning pack for Attila, sharing some of its effects, along with new content created just for Thrones.

It’s going to be ready this summer (most likely July) and we’re planning to make it available for free to players that already own Blood & Burning for Attila. We’ll release more details on it closer to the time, along with a more general update on future plans for the game.

Aww poo poo, let me remind you how I totally called this a few pages back and got loled at.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dramicus posted:

Aww poo poo, let me remind you how I totally called this a few pages back and got loled at.

Ha, loser. Being right about things is lame.

I'm really dissatisfied with the Wessex campaign. I expected more infighting to stop the inevitable tide of the biggest power in the game, but nah, Alfred's just kinda great.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
3K now delayed to Spring 2019 :(

Also first in engine trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhhHecSt3LM

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 6, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ha, loser. Being right about things is lame.

I'm really dissatisfied with the Wessex campaign. I expected more infighting to stop the inevitable tide of the biggest power in the game, but nah, Alfred's just kinda great.

That is why it is so much fun being a power nearby Wessex as it gives you a good midgame challenge in trying to oppose him.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I really, really like what I'm hearing of the music so far. Tough to say anything about the gameplay yet but the music is perfect.

Can't complaint too much about the game being pushed back really. I'd definitely prefer that they do this one right and not rush it out to meet a deadline.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Xiahou Dun confirmed! If there's not a day-1 gigantic scimitar mod I'll be very disappointed.

Also, new dev blog, which confirms both Lame Historically Accurate Mode and Totally Kickass Dynasty Warriors Mode

quote:

How does Classic Mode differ?

Janos: A big difference is how these iconic heroes behave on the battlefield. By default, we adhere to the romanticised view: these characters can hold their own against hundreds of rank-and-file warriors. They’ll appear as single character units and fight like the heroes from Luo Guanzhong’s epic. In Classic Mode, they’ll appear in battle the way you might expect a classic Total War general to do: they’re only human, and will march into battle at the centre of a bodyguard unit.

In short: by default, characters in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS take centre stage in battle, helping to turn the tide with their flamboyant Wushu martial arts or strategic prowess. But Classic Mode focuses more on historical troop manoeuvres, where victory is defined by superior army composition and battle tactics.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll wait, It's gonna be great.

Plus I am curious to see what they'll experiment with next in the Flashpoint pressure cooker.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
gently caress, that's a great way to do it.

Shame about the delay but what with no news coming out for ages, I think people were already sorta expecting it. I just hope it's good when it comes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Love that there are two different modes, now everyone's happy!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best part is, all it does is swap a unit out with another unit. Balance shouldn't be fucky since all they need to do is buff/nerf Cao Cao (default) or Cao Cao (Classic Bodyguard) if it gets out of hand.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Love that there are two different modes, now everyone's happy!

but I don't want to play pontus

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cool trailer. I'm glad they have Classic mode, even if that makes me boring.

e: Oh, the mystery historian was Rafe de Crespigny. That's a pretty good get.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 6, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mantis42 posted:

Cool trailer. I'm glad they have Classic mode, even if that makes me boring.

Honestly, I really liked the fantasy games and I think they have the best battles in the series, and I still plan on playing with Classic mode because it feels more natural in a historical setting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

but I don't want to play pontus

Who'd be Three Kingdoms Era Pontus anyway?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there's no loving shortage of them

there's a decent number of characters and factions who are brought up solely so one of the Big Boys can demonstrate the largeness and aggressive nature of their sons. biggest one is probably Dong Zhuo, who is straight out of central Evil Vizier casting

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ze Pollack posted:

there's no loving shortage of them

there's a decent number of characters and factions who are brought up solely so one of the Big Boys can demonstrate the largeness and aggressive nature of their sons. biggest one is probably Dong Zhuo, who is straight out of central Evil Vizier casting

Dong Zhou is a huge deal though, and he's got a whole roster of vassals and other characters associated him like Lu Bu. Pontus is more like Liu Biao or Zhang Xiu or someone who didn't even get a unique character model in Dynasty Warriors

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

Dong Zhou is a huge deal though, and he's got a whole roster of vassals and other characters associated him like Lu Bu. Pontus is more like Liu Biao or Zhang Xiu or someone who didn't even get a unique character model in Dynasty Warriors

fair point. he's the reason the Han dynasty falls, but he's also very much the story you tell so you can get to the actual story:

"the last han emperor was installed as a child by this jerk. he was a jerk. oh man, this guy. huge jerk. moved the capital to Jerk City, to greater facilitate his being a jerk. his death at the hands of an incredibly stupid ruse marks the last time the Han dynasty had any independent power to speak of, and the beginning of those Three Kingdoms in the title."

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Daddy Zhuo was the best, especially in the tv show, and he better be in the drat game or else!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dong Zhuo is the Wario of Three Kingdoms.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 6, 2018

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I hope the game doesn't have a single achievement for classic mode, cementing it's uselessness to the general playerbase.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Considering the most grognardy flipped their poo poo about the game franchise coming to STEAM in the first place I doubt that'll wound them much.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
right, so even though we're not getting this for another year, what's some good three kingdoms related media to get into? i could read the book, but i'm probably not gonna do that. i could also play the games, but i'm not gonna do that either. so are there tv shows or movies worth watching that go into it?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Plavski posted:

right, so even though we're not getting this for another year, what's some good three kingdoms related media to get into? i could read the book, but i'm probably not gonna do that. i could also play the games, but i'm not gonna do that either. so are there tv shows or movies worth watching that go into it?

This is one of the best depictions of Three Kingdoms on TV. Keep an eye out for Cao Cao, the Most Magnificent Bastard.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The 2010 TV show was well received and John Woo's Red Cliffs is a good watch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is the book a good read/are there recommended translations?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

The new series was worth it for Liu Bei: Father of the Year.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Moss Roberts translation is the best and includes plenty of footnotes that help give context to a lot of what happens. I haven't read the whole thing, since its loooong, but it moves at a pretty quick pace.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'll second that the unabridged Moss Roberts translation really good. But it's not a short work. The full Romance of the Three Kingdoms is about as long as the entire KJ Bible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don Gato posted:

The new series was worth it for Liu Bei: Father of the Year.

Leave the baby keep the general.

EDIT:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/06/creative-assembly-tactical-fps-hires/

Interesting. Hope it works out for them.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 6, 2018

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Wanna bet that the game won't come out until late September, 2019?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

John Woo's Red Cliffs is a good watch.

Is that the one where all the "good guys" capture Cao Cao and tell him that he lost because he has no friends?

Bleh.

Dude was famous for being able to win over subordinates to his cause, damnit.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is the book a good read/are there recommended translations?

http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cao Cao story:

After defeating a regional rival, the sons of his rival fled to the northern tribes for refuge. Cao Cao decided to go after them, but a number of his advisors vehemently protested - the terrain was difficult, the logistics were bad, the army needed to rest, and the sons were effectively defanged without their power base anyways. Cao Cao overrode their protests and went north anyhow, and after a long, difficult campaign managed to win victory and return in triumph and glory with the heads of his enemies proudly displayed. After returning to his capital, he immediately summoned all the ministers who had protested his victorious campaign. In fear and trembling they arrived, but were surprised to find themselves richly rewarded. Cao Cao then gave them a short speech, saying essentially "Yeah holy poo poo that campaign was a terrible idea, I only just about managed to survive by the skin of my teeth thanks to good luck. I hope in the future you'll continue telling me that I'm being a stupid loving idiot when I'm being a stupid loving idiot."

He was a lot more polite about it than my paraphrase, obviously.

Edit: PYF Three Kingdoms stories, especially the ones that probably weren't historically accurate

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 6, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i kind of wish they'd just do a unified mode where they're just the hero units from shogun 2

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Tomn posted:

Edit: PYF Three Kingdoms stories, especially the ones that probably weren't historically accurate

I like Sun Quan sending generals on a suicide mission to find China's equivalent of Atlantis.

quote:

Sun Quan had a history of unusual behavior. In his younger years, this behavior was somewhat odd but mostly harmless. For example, when Zhou Tai was being disrespected by his subordinates, Sun Quan had him remove his clothing at a banquet in order to display his many battle scars. Having Zhou Tai tell the story behind all of them earned him the respect of his underlings. When Lü Meng was deathly ill, Sun Quan watched him sleep through a hole in the wall because he didn’t want to disturb Lü Meng’s rest but wanted to keep an eye on him. As isolated incidents, these seem a little strange but ultimately more-or less understandable. But in light of Sun Quan’s later behavior, they start to look like signs of some sort of mental illness.

In 230, Sun Quan decided to invade the islands of Yizhou and Tanzhou - which probably didn’t exist. These islands were mostly mythical. Yizhou was said to be a land where it was always summer. Food of all sorts was abundant and it was overflowing with natural resources. Entire families slept in the same bed and the people of Yizhou used deer antlers for weapons. If it sounds more like a folktale than a historical account, that’s because it is.

Tanzhou has a more complex history. According to legend, the emperor of Qin sent a magician named Xu Fu in search of a mythical mountain so that he could find an elixir of immortality for the emperor. Xu Fu took a boat full of young men and women and, upon finding Tanzhou, used them to colonize it. From time to time, sailors appeared in Kuaiji claiming to be from Tanzhou, so it is possible that there was some truth to the story, though the legend is no doubt more fiction than fact. Hu Sanxing (a very respectable historian) and some other Chinese historians believed that Tanzhou was actually Japan. Of course, the Japanese reject the idea that the Japanese islands were discovered and colonized by Xu Fu, and it is impossible to know for sure.

Sun Quan decided that he wanted to find and capture these islands in order to add their resources to his own. Pretty much all of Sun Quan’s advisers were vehemently opposed to this for all of the very good reasons. Lu Xun and Quan Zong were particularly vocal in their objections. But Sun Quan ignored them all. He sent Zhuge Zhi and Wei Wen with 10,000 men to sail the sea, find the islands, and conquer them.This is pretty much the equivalent of sending an army to conquer atlantis.

In 231, Zhuge Zhi and Wei Wen returned from their mission. Though they left with 10,000 soldiers, they returned with just 1,000. 90% of their army was lost to disease and battle. Tanzhou turned out to be much too far away for them to reach. They did find an island that they decided to claim was Yizhou, and they abducted a number of natives to bring back to Sun Quan. The expedition was a complete and utter disaster. Rather than take the blame for giving these men such a foolish and impossible mission, Sun Quan charged Zhuge Zhi and Wei Wen with failing in their duties and killed them both.

Archlich on tumblr is a cool guy to look up for interesting RotTK stories.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Here's another story. In the trailer, you'll notice a dude with an eyepatch bowing to Cao Cao. That's Xiahou Dun, one of Cao Cao's most important generals. Now, how did he lose his eye? Well...

quote:

Now the division of Cao Cao's army under Xiahou Dun, having marched out in advance, first came into touch with Gao Shun. Xiahou Dun at once rode out with spear set and offered a challenge. It was accepted and the two leaders fought half a hundred bouts. Then Gao Shun began to weaken and had to turn back. He rode round to the rear of his array. Xiahou Dun was not the man to quail, so he followed right into the enemy's country. Then Cao Xing, one of Lu Bu's generals, secretly strung his bow, fitted an arrow and, when Xiahou Dun had come quite near, shot at him. The arrow hit Xiahou Dun full in the left eye. He shrieked, and putting up his head, pulled out the arrow and with it the eye.

"Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away!" cried Xiahou Dun, and he put the eye into his mouth and swallowed it.

Then resuming his firm grip of his spear, Xiahou Dun went after this new enemy. There was no escape for Cao Xing. He was overtaken and fell with a fatal spear wound full in the face. Both sides were stricken dumb with amazement.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tomn posted:

Is that the one where all the "good guys" capture Cao Cao and tell him that he lost because he has no friends?

I don't really remember but probably. It's not exactly a classic but it has its moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tomn posted:

Cao Cao story:

After defeating a regional rival, the sons of his rival fled to the northern tribes for refuge. Cao Cao decided to go after them, but a number of his advisors vehemently protested - the terrain was difficult, the logistics were bad, the army needed to rest, and the sons were effectively defanged without their power base anyways. Cao Cao overrode their protests and went north anyhow, and after a long, difficult campaign managed to win victory and return in triumph and glory with the heads of his enemies proudly displayed. After returning to his capital, he immediately summoned all the ministers who had protested his victorious campaign. In fear and trembling they arrived, but were surprised to find themselves richly rewarded. Cao Cao then gave them a short speech, saying essentially "Yeah holy poo poo that campaign was a terrible idea, I only just about managed to survive by the skin of my teeth thanks to good luck. I hope in the future you'll continue telling me that I'm being a stupid loving idiot when I'm being a stupid loving idiot."

He was a lot more polite about it than my paraphrase, obviously.

you can really tell from early on that Liu Bei is the guy who's going to go on to found the next dynasty, because HOLY poo poo the text cannot get enough of sucking him off, and thus, all his losses must be explained through either "no, seriously, he's just THAT humble" or "do you have any idea how stupid his buddies were"

see, for example, the case of How Liu Bei Lost His Home Territory To Lu Bu

Liu Bei, being good rulership, humility, and kindness incarnate, knew he was being called away from his home as part of a ploy to take his territory from him. but, being Liu Bei, nobly and honorably answered the summons anyway, and before he left had to figure out who was going to be in charge in his absence

said Liu Bei's designated anger translator Hot Blooded Fighting Anime Character IRL Zhang Fei, "i got you, dawg"

said Liu Bei: "you are going to get shitfaced and gently caress it all up. no."

said Zhang Fei: "no, honestly, I swear on our friendship, no wine's gonna pass my lips until you return."

said Liu Bei: "yeah okay sure, since you swear"

the second Liu Bei is over the horizon, Zhang Fei announces "okay, we are throwing the rager to end all ragers tonight, so I am so loving hungover the very thought of another drop of wine is unbearable for at least, like a few weeks"

Lu Bu shows up the next morning with his army, literally everyone in the garrison is drunk or hungover, Lu Bu wins without any meaningful resistance, and the tatters of the garrison led by Zhang Fei catch up to Liu Bei, announcing "soooo, I did a thiiiing, that maaaaay or may not have been exactly that thing you said I'd do and I swore I wouldn't do. and oh PS Lu Bu's got all our wives and kids now because of it."

Liu Bei facepalms, extremely hard, and then snaps on Zhang Fei because he's drawing his sword to commit suicide. "you loving moron, i can get another wife and kids, I cannot get another one of you. we are marching back there. and I say we, meaning that your rear end is going to be in the very back of the procession and tasked with not saying a goddamned thing, because we can probably smooth this over if Lu Bu and I can both blame this tragic misunderstanding on what a complete fuckup you are."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 6, 2018