Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

adhuin posted:

If you don't have moral qualms about killing someone, then you shouldn't have moral qualms about eating them.

It's an ecological choice. Meat for food, skin for mittens, bones for whatever you need bones for.
Skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Skull throne, obviously.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Quick DM question: if the PCs are fighting a monster and the ruckus draws the attention of a second monster, how/where does the second monster insert into the initiative order?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shitshow posted:

Quick DM question: if the PCs are fighting a monster and the ruckus draws the attention of a second monster, how/where does the second monster insert into the initiative order?

They should just roll initiative and get slotted into the order I believe

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Roll its initiative like normal and decide what round makes sense for it to enter the general combat area. Too far away and you're going to have several rounds if "uh it moves 60 feet". Too close and your ranged guys will be annoyed they missed the opportunity to pew pew it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think you can actually die from eating troll. (Particularly if it's not roasted before hand.)

Your stomach acid doesn't take care of the problem? Im trying to remember how it works in nethack and think that's the answer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shitshow posted:

Roll for its initiative, and then tell the players on which round it will enter, and then have it enter during that round, at the initiative count that you rolled.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty sure everything kills you in Nethack. Also it’s poisonous as hell in Crawl.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm looking to buy a set of metal die that aren't super expensive. Any sellers that you guys would recommend?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mastershakeman posted:

Your stomach acid doesn't take care of the problem? Im trying to remember how it works in nethack and think that's the answer

i puke on the troll

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

adhuin posted:

If you don't have moral qualms about killing someone, then you shouldn't have moral qualms about eating them.

It's an ecological choice. Meat for food, skin for mittens, bones for whatever you need bones for.

Every time I've tried to run a campaign and play against type with the monstrous creatures I have been reminded that people totally forget any real world moral considerations at the game table. Had the following in a group of mostly NG type characters:

Orcs crossing the northern mountains, better go fight them! The orcs are running from a demonic incursion, avoiding settlements to hopefully avoid a military response? Better go find where they are camped. Found the orc camp, look at all of those women and children, how emaciated and terrified they look. Huh, the warchief won't fight because he just wants to protect his people and he can't do that if he's dead? Guess I'll have to fireball the yurts where the children are hiding to get him riled up enough to fight!

You're supposed to be the good guys what are you doing!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
People don't realise that other beings are people until you make it super obvious.

I had my group get all ready to fight beast men until they found out they were duck people returning cows.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

NeurosisHead posted:

Every time I've tried to run a campaign and play against type with the monstrous creatures I have been reminded that people totally forget any real world moral considerations at the game table. Had the following in a group of mostly NG type characters:

Orcs crossing the northern mountains, better go fight them! The orcs are running from a demonic incursion, avoiding settlements to hopefully avoid a military response? Better go find where they are camped. Found the orc camp, look at all of those women and children, how emaciated and terrified they look. Huh, the warchief won't fight because he just wants to protect his people and he can't do that if he's dead? Guess I'll have to fireball the yurts where the children are hiding to get him riled up enough to fight!

You're supposed to be the good guys what are you doing!

have them roll a reaction check for sand

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Josef bugman posted:

People don't realise that other beings are people until you make it super obvious.

I had my group get all ready to fight beast men until they found out they were duck people returning cows.

That's just common sense for anyone who has played King of Dragon Pass.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

It was an introduction to Glorantha. I would tell them to play KoDP but it would give away some of the things I have planned.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Bee posted:

Are you saying you didn't murder the poo poo out of the duck people?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'll never forget just wasting a whole boatload of lizard people with a fireball only to find out they were there to advance the story by... talking. Who does that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pez posted:

I'll never forget just wasting a whole boatload of lizard people with a fireball only to find out they were there to advance the story by... talking. Who does that?

Lizard People are not even evil by default. You monster.

mastershakeman posted:

I believe it's because the Stomach acid is not strong enough in a human. I actually remember a story were a poor guy had eaten troll and gotten sick. Then later died when a troll arm burst out of him.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

kidkissinger posted:

Don't gently caress with the ducks :ducksiren:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

kidkissinger posted:

Mate, if there's anything King of Dragon Pass taught me, is that you don't gently caress with the ducks.

You just don't.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

adhuin posted:

There's also the concept of the barbarian from a tribe that believes in eating what they kill. So from their point of view it'd be evil if they didn't eat their enemies.

Or if they believe in eating the hearts of their enemies to gain their strength, or as a sign of respect to a fallen foe.

Also, while most people would get grossed out by eating an intelligent humanoid, what about non-humanoids like dragons? Dragons are intelligent, too. Does that mean dragon steak's off the menu?

The alignment of eating intelligent monsters likely depends on what the DM thinks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, slaughtering them to eat them is probably just murder. But if they're already dead . . .

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wyvernil posted:

There's also the concept of the barbarian from a tribe that believes in eating what they kill. So from their point of view it'd be evil if they didn't eat their enemies.

Or if they believe in eating the hearts of their enemies to gain their strength, or as a sign of respect to a fallen foe.

Also, while most people would get grossed out by eating an intelligent humanoid, what about non-humanoids like dragons? Dragons are intelligent, too. Does that mean dragon steak's off the menu?

The alignment of eating intelligent monsters likely depends on what the DM thinks.

In this case if it had been any other character for any other reason I would have been "hey yo what the gently caress"

but the elf-raised-by-dwarven-barbarian and neutral rocklady cleric with orc parentage were okay with it while two of the others were grossed out and the warforged had no opinion at all. It wasn't a case of my entire party deciding to descend upon the ogre they killed like a swam of vultures.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
DTAS (death to alignment systems)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Then eat them.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What is King of Dragon Pass?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Quidthulhu posted:

Strategy/management game set in Glorantha, the Runequest setting.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Ran the hardest encounter I've ever run tonight. My group was venturing into what they thought was the den of a witch but turned out to be the den of a white dragon. The dragon was asleep, and the players thinking they had found the item they had come for snuck up to the dragon to retrieve it. The item turned out to be an illusion, and an NPC they had been travelling with revealed themselves to actually be the witch. The witch woke the dragon and split, leaving them with an angry dragon to fight. They did ok, though two of them went down, and after they finished the dragon and started getting the downed players back up the witch reappeared behind an illusory wall they had already figured out and attempted to snipe down one of the party members with a lightning bolt. Having seen through the illusion, one of the players launched a tidal wave at her right as she shot a bolt of lightning, engulfing her and causing the lightning to conduct and disperse into the water around her. They rushed her and tried to get her down, but only got her to 5 hp before she got another turn. She stood up and activated the Thunder and Lightning ability of her Staff and managed to down three of them in a single blast as they had lined up in a very unfortunate manner against someone they had seen cast lightning bolt like 10 times. The final player, who had been personally tasked with killing four witches, delivered the killing blow on the final witch with three of his party members downed and 12 hp. It was the closest thing I've ever seen and there was a lot of tension.

Bonus: The dragon was killed in a pretty ridiculous way. It only had 3 hit points left, but was going to go next as well as it's lair action. It was the Bards turn but he had nothing left that could guaranteed damage at the 70 feet away he was, so he thought for a minute, and then cast Dimension Door to teleport himself 60 feet above it and just crashed into it like a dwarven meteor, dealing enough fall damage to knock himself unconscious and finish the dragon.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, truly it is a crime that we don't eat everything we kill.

The default assumption is humanoid player characters who come from societies with similar cultural ties and taboos to our own. On its own, "Gimli and Aragorn and Pippin killed and ate an orc because they wanted to see what it tastes like" is a monstrous act. "I am from a culture that eats its dead" is a completely different kettle of fish. And probably not something I'd want to explore in a game anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

PublicOpinion posted:

Strategy/management game set in Glorantha, the Runequest setting.

It is also wonderful, both as an introduction to a setting and as a game. The art is really nice and the whole set up is very interesting. You know how games are often touted as "unique?" well I do not know a single game like KoDP.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Also eating other sentients in a world where there are magic monsters created by canabilism probably has created stricter cultural taboos about it. It's not that you don't eat sentients because it's wrong or you might get kuru, it's because you might get lycanthopy or become a Wendigo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
KoDP is so good it almost made me care about Glorantha

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Dinictus posted:

Mate, if there's anything King of Dragon Pass taught me, is that you don't gently caress with the ducks.

You just don't.

How nice of them to bring their own barbecue sticks.

:yum:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Glorantha is the best fantasy setting because the maker is an actual shaman who probably thought up a bunch of stuff about Glorantha while on trips. It very much is it's own thing compared to most other conventional tabletop settings and is also the oldest, originating from the 70s.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dinictus posted:

You just don't.
huey dewey and feasts-on-sinewy

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Hueymakt, Storm Bill, and Zorquack Zoran.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Remember that balanced plate includes at least 50% Aldryami.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
A while back someone posted a character sheet that looked like a Monster Manual entry. I looked back several pages but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone happen to have a link?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Firstborn posted:

I love this website. I mocked this up to put in the sleeve on the front of my character sheet folder.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1POs-5nCG

Very cool website. I was inspired by WebDM's advice to have your Oath tenets in front of you as real touchstones on how you should act. Then I got carried away.
E: Yes, he's only level 2. He's still following them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've since made a few others for characters in my group. It's been fun building them.

Weird coincidence, I'm playing the whoreson knight tonight! One of my favorite characters so far.

This one looks weird on some browsers: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BymwPuCkym

There's a rogue in my sunday game who desperately wanted an animal companion, so i gave him this: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HykHYuA0M

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 6, 2018