Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

They sound pretty solid to throw into a pack, I'm running my players against Hobgoblins where their casters are all warlocks and there is a derth of things that can fit in at this CR thats doing anything different so they could be good.

What kind of mechanics are we talking about here.

Oh another cool one that could work for you. The Dybbuk pretty much the Demon from the exorcist. Useful if there are corpses near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol you gotta do the A Serious Man opening if you're using a dybbuk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Marking is a rule in the DMG. But it's pretty simple and I don't know if it works the same as in 4e.
You: Marking is a rule in the DMG
Everyone else: There is a thing called Marking in the DMG but it is completely unlike the concept as used in 4E, or the concept as it is used in real life sports and other real life scenarios, and is completely useless for its intended purpose.
(a bit later) You: Marking is a rule in the DMG.

That's not autism that's illiteracy. Or memory problems.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Another fun thing I see in a lot of Critical Failure Tables:

Yeah, fighters end up getting more critical failures the more often they attack. Meanwhile, wizards make OTHER people roll, and THEY can critically fail to resist. The wizard usually doesn't critically fail basically anything, because they're not rolling the dice.
Crit successes/failures work fine if you design them for the game being played, or the game for the failures. A pretty iron clad rule is that crits on PCs (long term characters) should be different to crits on low-level enemies (designed to die in droves). A busted leg taking 1d6 days to heal is meaningless to a goblin about to die next round and a major plot point for a PC. Treating them equivalently is a stupid thing done by idiots.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh another cool one that could work for you. The Dybbuk pretty much the Demon from the exorcist. Useful if there are corpses near.

That's a cool monster though, thanks for posting it. See a dybbuk along with some Gnolls. You kill a gnoll. Dybbuk disappears, gnoll gets up and starts crab-walking at you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here are the CR 4 to 8 monsters.

quote:

Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
Deathlock

Dybbuk

Iron cobra

Merregon (Legion Devil)

Ogre battering ram

Stone defender

Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
Adult oblex

Allip

Kruthik hive lord

Oaken bolter

Star spawn mangler

Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Duergar warlord

White abishai

Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
Air elemental myrmidon

Armanite

Black abishai

Dhergoloth

Earth elemental myrmidon

Fire elemental myrmidon

Maurezhi

Shadow dancer

The Lost

Venom troll

Water elemental myrmidon

Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
Canoloth

Corpse flower

Deathlock mastermind

Howler

Sword wraith commander

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

My Beyond Copy of Mords tome of Foes just unlocked. Any of you interested in some previews from it?

ToC if any of you wants to request something.

Are there any player options in chapters 2-5? Or is it mostly lore/fluff?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Character Options in this book:

Races: Gith (2 subraces the Githyanki and the Githzerai. Both are fairly underwhelming).

Subraces: Elf (Eladrin, Sea, Shadar-Kai), Tiefling (Baalzebul, Glasya, Mammon, Zariel, Dispater, Fierna, Levistus, and Mephistopheles)

Of these options the Gith are fairly underwhelming, and almost seem like Tiefling as far as what they get. The Eladrin is well pretty much the DMG one but with some seasonal stuff added to the Misty Step. Sea is fairly decent. Shadar-Kai is basically Eladrin again. Tiefling are the Tiefling, with ever so slightly changed magic options. Maybe a few other slight changes but that is basically it.

Of all these options the only one that seems remotely worth the space is the Sea Elf.

Technically there are also 2 magic items. Basically the Silver Swords that Githyanki have. I did not purchase that option so no idea what the stats are.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Deep Gnome and Duregar also come in the book. But they are in other books as well.

Other then that there are some details on how to roleplay Gith, Dwarves, Elves, Halfings and Gnomes. As well as stuff like creating Githyanki Raiding and Duregar parties. But it's largely fluff in that area.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 18, 2018

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

My Beyond Copy of Mords tome of Foes just unlocked. Any of you interested in some previews from it?

ToC if any of you wants to request something.

Is the spine on your copy OK? I was chatting to the owner of my flgs today when he received a recall email for the limited edition based on defective bindings.

Edit: apparently it's a problem with damage to the outside of the spine, not the binding.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 18, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

cavemen wear oincloths

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Are the demon lord stat blocks the same as OotA or did they change things?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Played a pretty good session of Torchbearer last night. We defended a farm from goblin raiders then hunted them down and killed them.

One of the other players didn't enjoy the system because, in his opinion, it didn't allow enough character customization and was too "two-dimensional".

I think he's right that D&D allows for more choices when making a character but in my opinion they aren't meaningful choices. What I enjoyed about Torchbearer was that it enforced constant characterization for the players and GM. Dungeons and Dragons has a lot of options, but in play you can avoid ANY kind of meaningful characterization very easily.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I loathe games that tell me how to roleplay, tbqh, but I think Torchbearer works alright if you treat it as akin to a pen & paper roguelite with third person characterization.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Subjunctive posted:

If PC death isn’t on the table, what negative consequences are they trying to avoid in combat?

Aside from what people have already said about non-death consequences, it doesn't seem wrong to gauge the players attachment to their characters / frustration if they had to quickly build a new one and decide you want them to have a 5% chance of dying instead of a 25% chance. Stakes are still there but you're all more likely to have a fun time. Seems like the average player's death tolerance would go up over time both intra-character (they've had time to roleplay it and carry its narrative forward in interesting ways) and inter-character (they've played enough characters that they are no longer attached to any one).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

Are the demon lord stat blocks the same as OotA or did they change things?

They have actually been changed. Namely in that the Demon Lords appear to have been nerfed. The Demons Lords have had their hp reduced and have had attacks weakened. For example Yeenoghu had his 2d12 + 9 damage flail reduced to 1d12+9 and his 4d10+9 damage bite reduced to 1d10+9 damage.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Reading Curse of Strahd and this is great and I'll probably run this with a fresh batch of characters after my group is done with LMoP but oof I really need to do some work with the Vistani because this is one gothic horror trope that really did not need to be carried over.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Tome of Foes is pretty nifty. Lots of higher level humanoids for people who True Polymorph into Dragons that can then shapeshift into humanoids and join the party in cramped spaces. Sadly, no new beasts for those stuck with just Polymorph.

Looks like a merger of Deities and Demigods + Manual of the Planes + new races. Thumps up.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Jeez. What is it with gypsies where casual racism gypsy racism is still so prevalent and not even really examined?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Jeez. What is it with gypsies where casual racism gypsy racism is still so prevalent and not even really examined?

uhh....they're powergamers? did you get the right thread?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh I googled them and thought you meant that they’re gypsy stereotypes. I’m not familiar with their stats.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Nobody tell him.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm rolling up a gunslinger from this http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/174320
I'm thinking dual wield in your face shooter dps, a no name with all the AC boosting features that uses a rifle most of the time and a shotgun up close, or some sort of combination of the two, tanky no name with a pistol.
Any ideas for how I should build?

Also any decent character sheets out there? The standard one seems.... Not super great

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nobody tell him.

Someone really should.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Ok Romani sorry. See I live in this bubble too. What the gently caress is the deal. I bet lots of people don’t even know the actual term, I just sort of forget it occasionally.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh I googled them and thought you meant that they’re gypsy stereotypes. I’m not familiar with their stats.
Oh sorry I see it now, you were responding to the comment about the Vistani that I missed. I understand the context now.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love this website. I mocked this up to put in the sleeve on the front of my character sheet folder.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1POs-5nCG

Very cool website. I was inspired by WebDM's advice to have your Oath tenets in front of you as real touchstones on how you should act. Then I got carried away.
E: Yes, he's only level 2. He's still following them, though.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 18, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Firstborn posted:

I love this website. I mocked this up to put in the sleeve on the front of my character sheet folder.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1POs-5nCG

Very cool website. I was inspired by WebDM's advice to have your Oath tenets in front of you as real touchstones on how you should act. Then I got carried away.
E: Yes, he's only level 2. He's still following them, though.

That's very cool. Never seen that site used for player info before.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

They have actually been changed. Namely in that the Demon Lords appear to have been nerfed. The Demons Lords have had their hp reduced and have had attacks weakened. For example Yeenoghu had his 2d12 + 9 damage flail reduced to 1d12+9 and his 4d10+9 damage bite reduced to 1d10+9 damage.

That seems an odd choice for CR20+ encounters, I wonder why they did that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They sure love putting 1s for the number of damage dice on high-level enemies. Sometimes I take a monster manual monster and have to feign like I'm not sheepish when I declare "The Death Snake, Engulfer of Dreams" hits you for...*rolling*...8 damage.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Meanwhile low level characters have to worry about losing all their hp in a single blow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well that's better. I'd way rather brutally kill the one hapless dude in one hit and have a story while they make a new level 1 character than bore the pants off a higher level party.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well that's better. I'd way rather brutally kill the one hapless dude in one hit and have a story while they make a new level 1 character...”

Do you apply this policy to newbies as well?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Who described a policy? I described a preference...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ignoring character advice, are there any better character sheets than the standard 5e one that you folk would recommend?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Who described a policy? I described a preference...

Do you apply this preference to newbies as well?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Ok Romani sorry. See I live in this bubble too. What the gently caress is the deal. I bet lots of people don’t even know the actual term, I just sort of forget it occasionally.

I really wish I knew. It's completely absurd, a bullshit myth held over from the loving Byzantine Empire that somehow manages to persist.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Do you apply this preference to newbies as well?
Yes I would rather kill a new player's low level character than bore their high-level character with hours of tension-free combat where monsters do 9 damage on a hit. It's much worse for damage to be tuned too low than too high if your players are seeking a tactical combat game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My party killed a mindflayer+ogre mage in 3 rounds but not before two members were stunned for 7 rounds and all of us were between 6hp and dead. TBF it was encounter converted from a 3.5 module but glass cannons smashing together was a bit of a mess as a climax.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is a another fun monster I liked. The Orthon Devil.

Also remember the Dybbuk I posted earlier this is their true form.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Can someone post the sea elf page?