Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

I still say the window for what will round off with a good 12pt socket that wouldn't with a good 6pt is pretty narrow, and with flank/wall drive designs the difference is minimal. A lot of my sockets are 12pt, and I don't tend to round stuff that isn't already something I'm pushing my luck with.

Yeah, I have a generic no-name 3/4" drive set for big sizes, and I don't find it causes me any hassle even when putting some good torque through them.

Absolutely this.

I've been burned by 12pts too many times to trust them over a 6pt on anything I really care about, even more so if it's in at all hard to reach spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

You can accidentally stash a bunch of stuff in an engine bay. Most of the moving parts are fairly well shielded, and things tend to fall into little crevices in non-moving parts or splash shields or whatever. I've definitely found sockets an oil change or two after I've done some work, and once a used car came with a bonus Snap-On mini breaker bar.

I went to change the oil on my volvo once and was annoyed I couldn't find the tool to remove the oil filter canister housing(basically a cup with a 3/8" ratchet hole and 17mm nut on one end). I figured I could just get it off my hand, so stared taking the skid plate and was annoyed again by the sound of something rattling under it. Get a couple bolts off, and out rolls the tool I was looking for, held in place the past 6,000 miles between the filter housing and the skid plate.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

That is an unhappy turny thing.

That's a rather underwhelming-looking bearing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Heavy maintenance shops certainly meet this description, and I’ve heard of military depot-level maintenance grounding and disassembling aircraft because of a single missing tool. It’s a real issue.

Single missing anything if you're working in the cockpit, earing (which you wouldn't be wearing on the flight line anyway), pen, badge, paper clip, sunglasses (that were found 2 hours later sitting on the wheel next to the stairs after everyone was resigned that they'd probably have to safe and pull out the ejection seats. (We were the Electrical Engineers so we weren't allowed to have tools anywhere near the plane :v:)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

tactlessbastard posted:

At work today turny thing got real hot and then quit turning:

No replacement bearings available before 1030a tomorrow :effort:

ftfy, you can't just quote an imgur link unless it's to an actual image.

E: re: Aircraft Maint and personal belongings, I have a knife and a flashlight I'm not approved to use on the line, but they are allowed to be in my pockets if they don't get pulled out and used during maintenance. They are both bright orange just in case I'm working in an awkward position and one or the other slips out, and every time I leave a bird I do a pocket check. This hosed me one time when I'd thought my keys had slipped out, but later I found them in the pockets of the jeans I'd changed out of during the start of shift. Luckily I found them before impound procedures had been started, but still.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 5, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Been having a coolant leak in my Grand Marquis and I finally had a bright sunny day to figure it out. Both sides of the intake manifold and the gaskets are hosed.

Holy danger to manifold Batman!

e: oh yeah one of the intake manifold bolts was missing too. I don't know if that contributed to the leak or not but that was a cherry on top

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 5, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It would be nice if I were mailed a 10mm socket once a month like a magazine subscription.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

It would be nice if I were mailed a 10mm socket once a month like a magazine subscription.

Gonna take that idea to Shark Tank. *patent pending*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What you really need is an bluetooth socket set so when siri hears you say "where the gently caress did that 10mm go??" it makes the socket emit a beep.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

xzzy posted:

What you really need is an bluetooth socket set so when siri hears you say "where the gently caress did that 10mm go??" it makes the socket emit a beep.

That only helps if the socket in question hasn't fallen into the dark depths of the engine bay or a frame rail.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Colostomy Bag posted:

Those sockets are offerings to Vulcan Combustus, the god of Automotive Repair. He is also the one that is deceives you from using the right size socket the first time.

He's also the one that sends Torx bit screws to punish us for our hubris.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

Those sockets are offerings to Vulcan Combustus, the god of Automotive Repair. He is also the one that is deceives you from using the right size socket the first time.

But have you ever rounded a Torx bit? Every time I've had to use a Torx bit/socket, that bastard has come out smoothly even if it looked sketchy at first. Torx is a godsend over the lovely plebeian Phillips or flatblade which should never be used in an automotive situation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Torx works, but I'm still always unprepared.

Though anything under T10 is bullshit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Torx bits are godlike, even the freebie ones that come in boxes with screws, even when I drive them down harder than I should with an impact driver.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

You have to be reaaaaally reckless to gently caress up a torx. I've encountered a couple that were basically 6-way versions of those one-way screws they put public restrooms together with, and even those came out without too much effort.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

As Nero Danced posted:

The gods' true punishment for the careless and unwary is the unholy trinity of Philips, JIS, and Pozidriv.

Mistake not one for the other, lest your heads be stripped and you rend your garments in agony.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Space Gopher posted:

The gods' true punishment for the careless and unwary is the unholy trinity of Philips, JIS, and Pozidriv.

Mistake not one for the other, lest your heads be stripped and you rend your garments in agony.

My purchasing guy actually bought JIS screwdrivers and still doesn't understand why I'm mad, but considers himself a "handyman".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

I made one for Kastein's Secret Santa. I'm not sure if he lost it or not.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The problem with torx is breaking the bits. Ford F150 bed bolts with a torx head... gently caress you.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

DiggityDoink posted:

But have you ever rounded a Torx bit?

Yes, although I'm inclined to think nearly all pedal bike screws are made of cheese

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Brigdh posted:

Yes, although I'm inclined to think nearly all pedal bike screws are made of cheese

Ive only had Honda motorcycles but same. Wonderful engineering otherwise.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

shy boy from chess club posted:

The only good thing if you round one, or it starts to round, is that you can generally just grab one a size up, hammer it home, and get the fastener out that way. And if it's a nice hardened one it's typically still useable.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BlackMK4 posted:

The problem with torx is breaking the bits.

A thousand times this.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Space Gopher posted:

You can accidentally stash a bunch of stuff in an engine bay.

My old Buick wagon had a nice space behind the headlight where I used to store an extra quart of oil and a small bundle of tools.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I knew it! I, too, store a quart of oil and a rag for checking said oil behind the headlights in most of my cars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BlackMK4 posted:

The problem with torx is breaking the bits. Ford F150 bed bolts with a torx head... gently caress you.

I like how ford decided combining a phillips screw with loctite to hold on a TPS was a good idea.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like how ford decided combining a phillips screw with loctite to hold on a TPS was a good idea.

If I had connections in the industry I’d love to make a book called “Who thought this was a good idea, again?” and fill it with stories behind the loctite’d TPS sensors, Jeep’s pre-corroded windshield screws on wranglers and GM’s penchant for placing oil filters right above k-members.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If only all cars had the engine bays of old Subarus, you could store an entire tool kit in the spare tire space

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even a modern Subaru bay has a surprising amount of air in it. It's not enough to store a toolbox in there but compared to other cars built in 2018 it seems extravagant.

Like you open a Toyota or Honda hood and you start hunting around for a 4 year old kid to fish stuff out that you dropped.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

If I had connections in the industry I’d love to make a book called “Who thought this was a good idea, again?” and fill it with stories behind the loctite’d TPS sensors, Jeep’s pre-corroded windshield screws on wranglers and GM’s penchant for placing oil filters right above k-members.

I've always thought a what were they thinking thread would be a good one.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I knew it! I, too, store a quart of oil and a rag for checking said oil behind the headlights in most of my cars.

E46 had a bin on the passenger side great for this. It's affectionately called 'the drug bin'. You can even get aftermarket lids for them.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dentside Ford trucks had the built-in underhood tool trays.

you're gonna need 'em :newlol:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

xzzy posted:

Even a modern Subaru bay has a surprising amount of air in it. It's not enough to store a toolbox in there but compared to other cars built in 2018 it seems extravagant.

Like you open a Toyota or Honda hood and you start hunting around for a 4 year old kid to fish stuff out that you dropped.

Volvo S40 T5. The ECU is in the air filter box and the connections are zip tied to it several times. Great little car but man gently caress this engine bay, never worked on anything so difficult and frustrating.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dave Inc. posted:

Volvo S40 T5. The ECU is in the air filter box and the connections are zip tied to it several times. Great little car but man gently caress this engine bay, never worked on anything so difficult and frustrating.

I've heard Volvo was one of the worst offenders of "bizarro European engineering", but the entire ECU? Not just the fusebox?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sucks that cars don't come with tool kits any more.

My old Honda CL350 has a special little tube right in front of the rear wheel with a whole set of wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers inside.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I've heard Volvo was one of the worst offenders of "bizarro European engineering", but the entire ECU? Not just the fusebox?

"Our ECU is overheating!"

"Yes, Åke, but how will we solve this?"

"I have an idea."

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

The Door Frame posted:

It's the actual ECU.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?336713

Step 3 is disconnecting the ECU harness. Step 14 is removing the hidden torx screw that holds the harness to the airbox. Step 18 is disconnecting the radiator top mounts to give the airbox clearance to be removed.

Step 19 is unbolting the engine mounts and sliding the engine back an inch if you still don't have enough room to pull the box.

It reads worse than it is--only takes about 15 minutes if you can manage to brute force the box out instead of giving it nice, easy clearance--but still. I really liked that car but I absolutely hated working on it.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"Our ECU is overheating!"

"Yes, Åke, but how will we solve this?"

"I have an idea."

I know an Åke, and this is just the sort of poo poo he would pull.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dave Inc. posted:

Step 3 is disconnecting the ECU harness. Step 14 is removing the hidden torx screw that holds the harness to the airbox. Step 18 is disconnecting the radiator top mounts to give the airbox clearance to be removed.

Step 19 is unbolting the engine mounts and sliding the engine back an inch if you still don't have enough room to pull the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoTRoRbQxVc&t=110s

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

I think this is just motorcycles period, or possibly just Japanese ones. The Phillips screws on my '80 Suzuki, and every other bike I've ever worked on, had heads of cheese. I learned to just skip a screwdriver and go straight to the hammer impact driver and a couple of taps first unless I'd already been at that fastener with anti-seize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Darchangel posted:

I think this is just motorcycles period, or possibly just Japanese ones. The Phillips screws on my '80 Suzuki, and every other bike I've ever worked on, had heads of cheese. I learned to just skip a screwdriver and go straight to the hammer impact driver and a couple of taps first unless I'd already been at that fastener with anti-seize.

My '07 Suzuki used soft brass phillips-head screws to bolt on the carburetor. I had to drill those fuckers out.