Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Phew! As long as it's not a weird stance for a board gamer. I know I'll get some shocked faces when I tell my group I doubt I'll go next year. I had been to the one before, and had a similar issues but took measures to address that this year (secure seating for games before they ran out, put out suggestions for stuff we would play), but wasn't enough. If it was just on my doorstep this wouldn't be a problem, but it's a 4 hour drive for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

Played Hansa Teutonica for the first time and had a really bad experience. Part of it is that I didn't understand the importance of the gold cities so one player fought aggressively to max out action points and then the max supply ability and basically doubled my friend and I's scores combined.

I generally feel down on any game built on actions that gives permanent bonuses because the winner usually ends up being the player who took the most actions. Games like Istanbul at least make additional actions a temporary thing.

I had a similar bad experience with Lisboa where you specifically do one thing on your turn except when you have these favors that let you tag along, although I have other issues with that game like the clergy tiles being radically swingy.

I'm going to be critical here, but please don't take it personally.

Actions are always a thing. If you can improve the number of actions you get you always do that, guess you haven't played Agricola competitively? :)

In Hansa you need to get to three actions and then look around the board to see what else you want to do. The last awesome game I played, the guy who won only got three actions and beat the guy who got max actions. You have to pay attention however, it's not Splendor :).

Lisboa takes a lot of plays to get a sense of how to play well, just as all good heavy games should. If it's obvious how to win on first play, the game automatically goes on my sale pile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

Phew! As long as it's not a weird stance for a board gamer. I know I'll get some shocked faces when I tell my group I doubt I'll go next year. I had been to the one before, and had a similar issues but took measures to address that this year (secure seating for games before they ran out, put out suggestions for stuff we would play), but wasn't enough. If it was just on my doorstep this wouldn't be a problem, but it's a 4 hour drive for me.

You folks are so close to Essen (compared to the US), it should be your main gaming event if you only want to go to one.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Fat Turkey posted:

it's definitely not weird especially with the whole "let's spend this time playing poo poo games i just bought also i have no willpower or check on my spending while here anyway i just bought this box of goose poop from a hobo outside lets play" problem that happens when there's a large expo floor to buy from.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

I'm going to be critical here, but please don't take it personally.

Actions are always a thing. If you can improve the number of actions you get you always do that, guess you haven't played Agricola competitively? :)

In Hansa you need to get to three actions and then look around the board to see what else you want to do. The last awesome game I played, the guy who won only got three actions and beat the guy who got max actions. You have to pay attention however, it's not Splendor :).

Lisboa takes a lot of plays to get a sense of how to play well, just as all good heavy games should. If it's obvious how to win on first play, the game automatically goes on my sale pile.

A good board game also shouldn't have one path to victory, and this is an issue with Agricola and the games that followed it closely. Being first to get a child is such a strong move that you muse take it unless you don't have space in which case you hosed up. Likewise in Hansa Teutonica, if you're first player there's no reason not to drop your disc and cube in that track. This is part of why I sold Caverna, my group basically solved that game to the point where we made the same opening moves each time. What little variability existed in the card placement wasn't enough to cover up a very pedestrian Euro.

Frankly I think disparity in actions is poor design and I can't think of a single board game I enjoyed where it's a feature. It mostly seems like a relic of the aughts, having died out 2010 and beyond. Another thing is the static board, another 2000s era relic, and maybe an expansion changes this but a modern game would make those special cities variable so you wouldn't get the keys and actions, the two powers that go best together, next to each other.

I want to play it again now knowing the pitfalls, but what I played was more frustrating than fun and I can think of better area control games easily.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

A good board game also shouldn't have one path to victory, and this is an issue with Agricola and the games that followed it closely. Being first to get a child is such a strong move that you muse take it unless you don't have space in which case you hosed up. Likewise in Hansa Teutonica, if you're first player there's no reason not to drop your disc and cube in that track. This is part of why I sold Caverna, my group basically solved that game to the point where we made the same opening moves each time. What little variability existed in the card placement wasn't enough to cover up a very pedestrian Euro.

Frankly I think disparity in actions is poor design and I can't think of a single board game I enjoyed where it's a feature. It mostly seems like a relic of the aughts, having died out 2010 and beyond. Another thing is the static board, another 2000s era relic, and maybe an expansion changes this but a modern game would make those special cities variable so you wouldn't get the keys and actions, the two powers that go best together, next to each other.

I want to play it again now knowing the pitfalls, but what I played was more frustrating than fun and I can think of better area control games easily.

This is why Feast is so good! It takes the "get more actions" action and gives it to everyone once a turn automatically and hooray that one roadblock is gone.

EBag
May 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

Played Hansa Teutonica for the first time and had a really bad experience. Part of it is that I didn't understand the importance of the gold cities so one player fought aggressively to max out action points and then the max supply ability and basically doubled my friend and I's scores combined.

I generally feel down on any game built on actions that gives permanent bonuses because the winner usually ends up being the player who took the most actions. Games like Istanbul at least make additional actions a temporary thing.

Like some others said, it's a game that rewards multiple plays and a developing meta. It's very sandboxey so the first few times you play people are probably not going to really know what to be doing, so obviously getting more actions will seem really strong. But once you get a better handle on the game, if you're spending all that time maxing out your actions and other players know what they're doing you're going to end up getting locked out of a lot of other ways to score points such as building a large network, picking up bonus tiles, or sending dudes to the high-scoring privilege city. If you see someone just focusing on actions, upgrade your movement action to unlock more discs and put discs down on the action routes, this will give you a big influx of extra dudes on the board for free and cost them more actions to restock. Or build trading posts in the action city and on adjacent routes, and next to other popular upgrade cities to very quickly rush the game towards a 20 point end so they can't capitalize on the extra upgrades.

EBag fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 6, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

EBag posted:

Like some others said, it's a game that rewards multiple plays and a developing meta. It's very sandboxey so the first few times you play people are probably not going to really know what to be doing, so obviously getting more actions will seem really strong. But once you get a better handle on the game, if you're spending all that time maxing out your actions and other players know what they're doing you're going to end up getting locked out of a lot of other ways to score points such as building a large network, picking up bonus tiles, or sending dudes to the high-scoring privilege city. If you see someone just focusing on actions, upgrade your movement action to unlock more discs and put discs down on the action routes, this will give you a big influx of extra dudes on the board for free and cost them more actions to restock. Or build trading posts in the action city and on adjacent routes, and next to other popular upgrade cities to very quickly rush the game towards a 20 point end so they can't capitalize on the extra upgrades.

Definitely a game that requires you to try it a few times to understand it, and I say this as someone who has only played it once but liked it a lot. I could see why someone would bounce off it on a first play though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

little sister's listening to les mis and planning a board game night, why aren't there any historicals set in that time period? you could probably do a cool cdg in '48

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

little sister's listening to les mis and planning a board game night, why aren't there any historicals set in that time period? you could probably do a cool cdg in '48

She missed Scarlet Pimpernel (I have no idea if this is any good).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

Frankly I think disparity in actions is poor design and I can't think of a single board game I enjoyed where it's a feature.

Argent does some interesting stuff with it. You can get access to spells and items and extra workers that give you more actions, but the turn ends not when everybody takes all their actions, but when everybody collectively takes (players) "end the round" actions, so you're more practically going wide rather than deep.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Scarlet pimpernel is an amazing show with some incredible songs. My wife's favorite musical.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Days of Ire would be a great starting model for a July Revolution or June Rebellion game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

She missed Scarlet Pimpernel (I have no idea if this is any good).

There's some stuff about the original revolution, not about the post-napoleonic revolutions in the 1800s

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Spirit Island back in stock on Amazon Prime $55

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

EBag posted:

And along the same lines, randomizing power locations would ruin balance - actions and keys are important, but one is best early while the other only matters for scoring. Having them be close ensures that area is active throughout while also tempting skipping an action upgrade in favor of placing an office for points throughout.

Actions are easy to overvalue - they let you do more, but if someone pursues them they’ve left the door open to upgrade how efficient your actions are through the other upgrades. HT is almost like an auction game in how it requires you to read the values other people are placing on routes, and while being able to do more is always good, paying too much to do so is (as stated above) a fine way to lose.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

As others are saying there is way more than one path in Hansa. And in any heavy game, experienced players will pound the crap out of newbies, just take your lumps and try to look at other alternatives. In FCM if you open Errand Boy, you’re dead. That doesn’t make FCM a bad game, but you will need to trust that the game gets better the more you know it.

In Hansa you need to get to three actions. After that go where others aren’t going.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
I've been invited to be the guide for a co-worker's boardgame night. From what I'm told these people have only played things like Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit: Seinfeld Edition. I've made a short recommended list for the host to pick from, but they really, really want to add Lords of Waterdeep. Since my list mostly consists of things like Sushi Go, The Resistance, and Codenames: Pictures, and no worker placement games, I'm giving it some consideration.

I haven't played Waterdeep in probably two years. Is there anything I can do to to make it less bad, like removing certain roles, or certain kinds of cards? Any other recommendations for this kind of thing in general?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Who wants to do a real time FCM game on BGC this afternoon/evening? Want to play 4 player.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jejoma posted:

I've been invited to be the guide for a co-worker's boardgame night. From what I'm told these people have only played things like Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit: Seinfeld Edition. I've made a short recommended list for the host to pick from, but they really, really want to add Lords of Waterdeep. Since my list mostly consists of things like Sushi Go, The Resistance, and Codenames: Pictures, and no worker placement games, I'm giving it some consideration.

I haven't played Waterdeep in probably two years. Is there anything I can do to to make it less bad, like removing certain roles, or certain kinds of cards? Any other recommendations for this kind of thing in general?

I fuckin despise Waterdeep but the first thing people here will say is remove the mandatory quests.

If you wanted to replace Waterdeep with something else you should try Caylus or Istanbul or Viticulture w/ Tuscany.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

To the surprise of nobody, FFG scratched the paint off of Warhammer Quest: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/6/heroes-of-terrinoth/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Their Terrinoth setting is the most bland setting ever. It’s like the perfect example of :effort:

Good game though, glad to see the system come back. It's almost a lighter version of their coop LCG's so if those ever interested you it's a good way to try it out.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 6, 2018

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
In news that I suspect no one is quite as excited about as I am, Fantasy Flight is re-skinning their Warhammer Quest card game as Heroes of Terrinoth and releasing it with about 200% more quest content.

I loved the hell out of the system and it was the first thing I ever played solo to teach myself where I just couldn't stop playing. It really captured the feel of dungeon crawling without all the fiddly bits.

Part of the charm was definitely how they embraced the silliness of warhammer though. Hopefully they inject some personality into Terrinoth.

Edit: Ha, beaten twice over.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

FFG scratched the paint off of Warhammer Quest
Isn't it just Descent?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
My group has been waiting for a year for them to finally continue the Warhammer card game so we're all really excited about this.

It's a really fun game!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was downtown today getting a new pair of shoes and I took the opportunity to check out the board game stores. I made a great find! One of the stores had Stonehenge on sale in the discount bin 50% off. I have been thinking about picking it up for a while so this was perfect. Stonehenge isn't just one game, it is a kind of game system. They gave a set of pieces to 5 different game designers (Richard Borg, James Ernest, Bruno Faidutti, Mike Selinker, and Richard Garfield) and had them each come up with a different game using the pieces. I've never played a Richard Garfield game I didn't like so I hope his game is the best one :) In addition to the 5 included in the box the Paizo web site has 44 additional games that can be played with the pieces (and a bunch more on BGG), not as many as Piece Pack or 504 but it's defiantly a box dense with gameplay.

This will get added to my collection of weird experimental board gaming systems, right next to 504, Piece Pack, and Rainbow Deck. I hope one day to be able to play one of them :v: I have been going to board game nights at the university for the last few weeks, I might be able to trick them into playing a game (though they are more into party games and social deduction stuff). I will post a review if I ever get a chance to try it out:
http://paizo.com/paizo/archive/games/library
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20436/stonehenge-anthology-board-game/

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Pierzak posted:

Isn't it just Descent?

Proper Warhammer Quest is highly random Descent without a GM, Warhammer Quest The Card Game is a solid coop card game with a few campaign elements.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got the local boardgame meet up this weekend and I'm trying to figure out what to sign up for. Any thoughts on 1853? I've played 1830 and 1850 both a few times.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

I fuckin despise Waterdeep but the first thing people here will say is remove the mandatory quests.

If you wanted to replace Waterdeep with something else you should try Caylus or Istanbul or Viticulture w/ Tuscany.

Yeah, that's a good call. I'll bring Viticulture w/Tuscany and make a final effort to convince them, but as you know, the theme of Waterdeep reels in the uninitiated pretty hard. I'll get out the mandatory quests, and I think I'll try and pre-draft the secret identity cards so there's more even competition.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Spirit Island back in stock on Amazon Prime $55

Do they have the expansion in stock?

e: they did, ordered

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 6, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jejoma posted:

Yeah, that's a good call. I'll bring Viticulture w/Tuscany and make a final effort to convince them, but as you know, the theme of Waterdeep reels in the uninitiated pretty hard. I'll get out the mandatory quests, and I think I'll try and pre-draft the secret identity cards so there's more even competition.

I don't remember if this card is in the base game or the expansion, but if you do Waterdeep I'd also remove the cards that give you the extra neutral worker... I think you get it from completing a specific quest? It's either a quest or an Intrigue card, I can't remember which. Either way, if you end up with one player who has an extra action early on in the game it can really upset the balance.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't remember if this card is in the base game or the expansion, but if you do Waterdeep I'd also remove the cards that give you the extra neutral worker... I think you get it from completing a specific quest? It's either a quest or an Intrigue card, I can't remember which. Either way, if you end up with one player who has an extra action early on in the game it can really upset the balance.

Yeah I think it's in the base game. I remember there being an extra piece referred to as the 'lieutenant' or something. I'm reading the builder lord is too strong too.

My full list of recommendations to the host is Codenames: Pictures , Sushi Go Party, Incan Gold, King of Tokyo, Sheriff of Nottingham, and then idk if I should throw in Coup, The Resistance, or Avalon. They're going to pick 2 or 3 from that and then everyone else is probably going to bring Cards Against Humanity, which I'm really not looking forward to, and probably 3 different versions of Trivial Pursuit. :suicide:

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 6, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jejoma posted:

Yeah I think it's in the base game. I remember there being an extra piece referred to as the 'lieutenant' or something. I'm reading the builder lord is too strong too.

My full list of recommendations to the host is Codenames: Pictures , Sushi Go Party, Incan Gold, King of Tokyo, Sheriff of Nottingham, and then idk if I should throw in Coup, The Resistance, or Avalon. They're going to pick 2 or 3 from that and then everyone else is probably going to bring Cards Against Humanity, which I'm really not looking forward to, and probably 3 different versions of Trivial Pursuit. :suicide:

I'd do Avalon over vanilla Resistance, from experience people wrap their heads around some of the special roles more easily if they can just say things like "yeah he might be lying, but what if he's Merlin??!" Haven't played Coup so I don't know how it ranks in there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

LongDarkNight posted:

Got the local boardgame meet up this weekend and I'm trying to figure out what to sign up for. Any thoughts on 1853? I've played 1830 and 1850 both a few times.
1853 is basically not a game due to the number of ways that it prevents direct competition and market shenanigans. The stock market virtually doesn’t matter, you can sell down a company to 0 even if no one else picks up the slack, the entire game is decided by the initial auction and the initial auction is archaic and difficult to understand and it’s basically tresham being pissed off that people were playing 1830 as a financial game and not a track building game.

I love it.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd do Avalon over vanilla Resistance, from experience people wrap their heads around some of the special roles more easily if they can just say things like "yeah he might be lying, but what if he's Merlin??!" Haven't played Coup so I don't know how it ranks in there.

Avalon might be better for this group too, because I have suspicions that they might derail a game of The Resistance arguing that the future mega corporations have done nothing wrong and the rebellion should just be thankful for having jobs at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ew 1853 has art by Klemens Franz it is automatically trash.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Tekopo posted:

1853 is basically not a game due to the number of ways that it prevents direct competition and market shenanigans. The stock market virtually doesn’t matter, you can sell down a company to 0 even if no one else picks up the slack, the entire game is decided by the initial auction and the initial auction is archaic and difficult to understand and it’s basically tresham being pissed off that people were playing 1830 as a financial game and not a track building game.

I love it.

I'm not sure that's an endorsement. Maybe I'll play Merchant of Venus instead.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm not sure that's an endorsement. Maybe I'll play Merchant of Venus instead.

It did not sound like an endorsement, love or not.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

I love it.

I agree with everything in this post, except: 1) you didn't mention the two types of track which is the one genuinely interesting decision players make during the game and 2) you didn't express enough love for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

To the surprise of nobody, FFG scratched the paint off of Warhammer Quest: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/6/heroes-of-terrinoth/

Lol. Would it hurt them to not reuse the same old art?