Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

spog posted:

This is a nation that literally has .50 cal machine guns mounted to APCs under the justification that illegal gambling dens might resist arrest - I find it hard to believe that the don't have more dramatic plans other than 'I hope he hits something and gets stuck'

In Heemeyer’s case, they did bring out snipers with .50 cal rifles in hopes of disabling the Killdozer, but they were mostly ineffective. I think they did manage to make a few holes in the radiator, which would've stopped him eventually if he hadn't gotten stuck.

Heemeyer armored his bulldozer with a foot of concrete between steel plates. There wasn't a whole lot besides artillery that could've made a dent in it. If nothing else had worked, they considered bring in an Apache or a Javelin anti-tank missile to stop it.

xergm fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Honestly that looks a lot more like a SWAT team rolling out than police chasing a rouge armored vehicle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Traffic Engineers hate this trick!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I was going to make a crack about it being a Chrysler product and the transmission probably poo poo itself and R was the only gear that worked, but I think it's an Isuzu or something, so :shrug:

A Trooper was the only vehicle I’ve ever driven that stalled out while starting off with an automatic transmission. You’d dip the gas in slightly and it was like the torque converter instantly locked up and killed the motor at idle.

If it was a Trooper I’d say the blown tranny is a definite possibility.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have to give them credit though, they drove that thing backwards pretty well.

Apart from the whole backing up the on-ramp bit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That's an M577 command vehicle, not a tank (a variant of the old M113 APC) :spergin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variants_of_the_M113_armored_personnel_carrier#United_States

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this in yospos:

https://i.imgur.com/zmA0bwY.mp4

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Finally, something less aerodynamic on the road than my XJ!

If ever I supported police brutality, today would be it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RollsRoyce posted:

Im sorry but that’s just hilarious in ten thousand ways and I commend those gents on doing whatever the hell is they’re trying to do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RollsRoyce posted:

Finally, something less aerodynamic on the road than my XJ!

What, you don't have block parties where you're from?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They're probably protesting cars or something, and that's not very AI.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Fo3 posted:

They're probably protesting cars or something, and that's not very AI.

Their friend is about to ride up on his fixie and say something like "What, do those cagers have a problem with us sharing the road?!"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When I scrolled down the page I was at the end of the gif so only saw the top of the table. I was hoping it was motorised or something fun. Instead of it was sad people sitting on the road.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 6, 2018

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

What, you don't have block parties where you're from?

We have back yards for that

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My friend is the people you share a road with. He parks in left lane and stays there. We got passed 3 times on the right because he won't go back. I've given up telling him. When he dropped me off he pissed off the dude behind and got a (rightly so) lecture about indicators and smooth stops. He's not dangerous, just annoying as hell.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the food trucks you share the road with. This is currently parked out in front of my building.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What the hell am I looking at.

Looks like lovely studs used as lug nuts?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
11'8 has a metric counterpart down under:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/truck-hits-napier-st-rail-bridge-in-footscray/news-story/cb2e42cfe10fa19e8fc8e37a45dff164
https://www.theage.com.au/melbourne-news/napier-street-bridge-strikes-again-shipping-container-sent-flying-20180607-p4zk50.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Colostomy Bag posted:

What the hell am I looking at.

Looks like lovely studs used as lug nuts?

Its a semi/large truck thing - that actually holds the wheel on, then a chrome appearance cap threads on over it.

Saw a lady driving a Yaris the other day missing 3/4 lug nuts on her passenger/front wheel. Waved at her to roll her window down at a red light and told her about it, she shrugged and said she didn't know what those were and rolled her window back up before I could explain she shouldn't be driving her car like that :ughh:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Geoj posted:

Saw a lady driving a Yaris the other day missing 3/4 lug nuts on her passenger/front wheel. Waved at her to roll her window down at a red light and told her about it, she shrugged and said she didn't know what those were and rolled her window back up before I could explain she shouldn't be driving her car like that :ughh:

Just yesterday at work I had a Toyota Tacoma that, among other things, needed a tire repair, and they had the spare on the right front. As I was setting the lift, I saw that 3 of the lug nuts were visibly loose. Once I lifted it, I found I could remove all 5 with just my fingers. How she drove in without losing the wheel, I will never know. I am big and pretty strong, but I should not be able to remove lug nuts with no tools.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean, based on how many people I see trucking on down the highway with a donut at 75+ MPH, I'm unfortunately not at all surprised that people can't put on a spare tire correctly.

If only there were instructions on how to change a spare that came with the car, and information on the donut telling you that it's risky as hell to go above 50MPH... and on a pothole-ridden highway, to boot. :stonk:

I wish people understood that donuts are not full spares.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How about we just get rid of donuts altogether?

If my Fiesta has room for a full-size spare then size really isn't an excuse IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Manufacturers are one-upping that and not giving you a spare at all.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

And in some cases generously giving it to you as a paid upgrade! Everyone wins! (So long as everyone is the dealer.)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wolrah posted:

I don't think the cops would like that

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The first time I had to get new tires on my car I had them throw the best one off the old set onto a steelie and put it in my trunk. I think it cost me $40 plus the mount/balance charge to replace it every other set of tires or so, and I've never regretted a dime of it.

I'll take a real tire that's almost out of tread over a donut in any weather.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

wolrah posted:

If my Fiesta has room for a full-size spare then size really isn't an excuse IMO.
Theyre already doing this, but in the opposite direction. A lot of cheap cars just give you a can of fix-a-flat.

xzzy posted:

Yay old tabs!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, if you're driving around without AAA or equivalent you got some kind of mental malfunction. And if you got roadside assistance, gently caress putting a spare on. Just have 'em tow it to a shop.

Unless you drive somewhere they can't get, in which case you're probably balls deep in some rocky mountain pass and have a spare everything already.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

xzzy posted:

To be fair, if you're driving around without AAA or equivalent you got some kind of mental malfunction. And if you got roadside assistance, gently caress putting a spare on. Just have 'em tow it to a shop.
I agree with the first sentence, but really on the 2nd one? I mean sure middle of a snowstorm doesn't sound fun but I can a swap a donut out in 20 minutes, whereas I'm waiting at least an hour for a tow plus whatever time at the shop.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like to live dangerously and don't have recovery.

I also travel the most predictable 25 miles each way on well maintained roads in a reliable car. I'll swap a tyre if I have to.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

Unless you drive somewhere they can't get, in which case you're probably balls deep in some rocky mountain pass and have a spare everything already.

AAA has paid for itself many times over towing my kids' crap cars around.

Best one was my son's Miata when it busted a ball joint 100 feet down the street. Called AAA and had them flatbed it up into the driveway so we could fix it. And yeah, there was no way to push the thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cage posted:

I agree with the first sentence, but really on the 2nd one? I mean sure middle of a snowstorm doesn't sound fun but I can a swap a donut out in 20 minutes, whereas I'm waiting at least an hour for a tow plus whatever time at the shop.

The few AAA calls I've made over the years they were on site in under 30 minutes.

Granted, these were all in urban areas.

Yes it's lazy. Don't give a gently caress, it means I don't have to mess with a lovely scissor jack with assholes blowing by at 70 5 feet away.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

The few AAA calls I've made over the years they were on site in under 30 minutes.

Granted, these were all in urban areas.

Yes it's lazy. Don't give a gently caress, it means I don't have to mess with a lovely scissor jack with assholes blowing by at 70 5 feet away.

No, it's not lazy. You are paying for a service and your time (which is your time, and how you decide to spend it) to give yourself peace of mind.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Javid posted:

I've often idly contemplated the difficulty of rigging up an old camera flash in the rear window that I could set off with a button.

Knew a guy ages ago who claimed to keep a carton of BBs in his truck and throw a handful out the window whenever somebody was tailgating him.

I usually have my camera flash handy and stupidly, I've used it before. It accomplishes nothing.

BB's on the other hand are a fantastic idea.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Point my mirrors at them, set my cruise for dead on the speed limit and turn my podcast volume up.

This is pretty much the only solution. Just hope they go around you.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 8, 2018

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I had a starter fail last year and I used my roadside coverage just to get someone to come give me a push to bump start it to get home. Yay manual transmissions.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The one time I called AAA to change a flat (I had the flu and did not loving want to do anything) the hick tow shop who came brought literally nothing that would help them change a tire. Like their entire plan was to do the same thing I would've done. Didn't even have a compressor on the truck to make sure the spare was aired up. There's little point unless you actually can't do it yourself.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Javid posted:

There's little point unless you actually can't do it yourself.

Counterpoint:

gently caress widow-makers.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xergm posted:

Counterpoint:

gently caress widow-makers.

gently caress that noise - only time I've ever had that poo poo has been in rentals/someone else's car. Absolute minimum bottle jack for like 30+ years now, outright (cheap/small) hydraulic floor jack whenever possible

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Cage posted:

That's what I don't get about the no spare tire thing. Say you have some sort of important meeting or work, or whatever. Someplace you need to be. You get a flat and instead of being late to where you need to be you are now totally hosed out of half a day. You have to wait for a tow and then wait at the shop because, him, her and that guy over there are ahead of you. To save what? 50lbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bigbillystyle posted:

That's what I don't get about the no spare tire thing. Say you have some sort of important meeting or work, or whatever. Someplace you need to be. You get a flat and instead of being late to where you need to be you are now totally hosed out of half a day. You have to wait for a tow and then wait at the shop because, him, her and that guy over there are ahead of you. To save what? 50lbs?
Let me show you on the chart where a manufacturer trying to optimise for economy targets gives the merest hint of a gently caress about such problems.