Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Ryan Fredricks to West Ham is a DONE DEAL

https://www.twitter.com/WestHamUtd/status/1004031330135433217

Looking forward to having an actual right-back that isn't either someone playing out of position or too old to run properly.

Carl Jenkinson is still on the books at Arsenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Bit of a weird one that, I'm surprised West Ham aren't aiming a bit higher. I would have been happy with him starting for us next season but he hasn't exactly set the Championship alight over the last few years.

We didn't have many glaring gaps in the team until this so I guess it at least narrows down the positions we need to focus on.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Wazzerphuk posted:

Bit of a weird one that, I'm surprised West Ham aren't aiming a bit higher. I would have been happy with him starting for us next season but he hasn't exactly set the Championship alight over the last few years.

We didn't have many glaring gaps in the team until this so I guess it at least narrows down the positions we need to focus on.

Can I interest you in a lightly used Carl “Jenko” Jenkinson? He has CL experience and everything.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The amount of Arsenal fans bemoaning Lichtsteiner is annoying, I forgot we had a wealth of experienced defenders/leaders/cunts.

Agreed on all 3 descriptions, complaining about getting Lichtsteiner for free is insane

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

poty posted:

Agreed on all 3 descriptions, complaining about getting Lichtsteiner for free is insane

It's the kind of absolute common sense signing that never happened under Wenger and I am here for it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

poty posted:

Only complaint really is that we should have done it like 2 years ago, but oh well. I am still happy with the signing.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
He's the new Oleg Luzhny.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Wazzerphuk posted:

Our only options are a 100 year old Zabaleta or a perpetually broken Sam Byram. I'm guessing Zaba and Fredericks will share duties at RB until Zaba gets even more obviously too old

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fredericks won't have moved from Fulham to be a backup/rotational right back.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
remember mathieu debuchy?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

Fredericks won't have moved from Fulham to be a backup/rotational right back.

He'll be first choice, but I can see Zaba still getting some games here and there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RobDorsettSky/status/1004252809456422912

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Diogo Dalot to United is a done deal.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-announces-the-signing-of-diogo-dalot

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Looking forward to him getting the Shaw treatment OP.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
young full backs?

jose will ruin da lot

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yacine Adli to Arsenal apparently done.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Evans to Leicester is a thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11396171/aston-villa-up-for-sale-as-struggling-club-faces-winding-up-order

quote:

Aston Villa are facing the most important week in their 144-year history as owner Dr Tony Xia fights to keep the club out of the hands of administrators.

Huge investment in player wages and more than £70million in transfers in just two seasons has left the club facing an HMRC winding-up order, with the prospect of administration a real possibility.

Officially, Sky Sports News has been told the club is not for sale and that Dr Xia's financial problems are the result of cash-flow issues in China.

However, SSN understands the owner, who has been in China since the play-off final defeat, is attempting to attract new investors to share the burden, and would be prepared to cut his losses and sell the club for the right price.

Members of the executive board will meet on Wednesday to consider how to solve the club's financial crisis and discuss how to raise the funds needed to pay the £2m outstanding tax bill, which could prompt a winding-up order within days.

Of potentially greater concern, however, is the prospect of paying a series of bills due to be settled on June 23 including wages for players and staff, which is thought to total in excess of £8m.

Despite the club's motto being 'Prepared', few could have predicted the speed with which Dr Xia's gamble to reach the Premier League would appear to have come unstuck.

SSN understands the Midlands club have been taking insolvency advice for more than a week, with insolvency expert and former Chelsea CEO Trevor Birch continuing to advise the club.

The question Villa fans will have is whether Dr Xia has the resolve - and the resources - to continue funding a club that is believed to be costing him around £6m a month to run.

After suspending chief executive Keith Wyness for, according to the club, issues unrelated to the HMRC notice, it was announced that Dr Xia would take over the day-to-day running, but SSN understands he remains in Beijing and the meeting will be chaired by his assistant Rongtian Ho - known at Villa Park as 'Mr.Ho'.

Before Villa's tax problems became apparent, it was clear the club would have to undergo a cull of their highest earners to fulfil their Financial Fair Play (FFP) obligations. That would likely start with the sale of key assets, such as England Under-21 midfielder Jack Grealish.

In the last three years, the club have spent relatively large sums on the likes of Ross McCormack (£11.9m), Jonathan Kodjia, (£11 m) and Scott Hogan (£9m).

To date, more than 17,000 Villa supporters have renewed their season tickets for the 2018-19 Championship campaign. The club's biggest fear is that they could start next season in administration - and a 12-point deduction.

Following the play-off final defeat to Fulham, Dr Xia told fans the club faced significant pressure to comply with FFP regulations and would "need to change a lot of things".

He said: "I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman. Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past 10 years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club.

"We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things."

rip villa

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why is this in the transfer thread and not the championship thread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its been closed

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Jose posted:

Huge investment in player wages and more than £70million in transfers

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

All decent villa players to other clubs is pending.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Apparently we're looking at a £12m deal for Shaqiri which is uhhhh

Not keen on him tbh

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

Not keen on him tbh

What’s the source? He seems too old with too high a wage for FSG’s tastes. And, like you said, he’s not consistently great.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

What’s the source? He seems too old with too high a wage for FSG’s tastes. And, like you said, he’s not consistently great.

He's only 26, same age as Firmino and one year older than Mane and Salah.

Presumably he would just be a backup for the front three which I guess would be okay? We could really use some rotation for next season so they don't get burned out by playing almost every game.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Brony Car posted:

A few journos are reporting the interest, including John Percy who is usually good with Stoke news. He's on 70k p/w at most at Stoke so I doubt he'll break the bank. I don't think he's good enough for Liverpool but maybe Klopp might get a tune out of him.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Brony Car posted:

Literally everyone broke it at the same time so there's definitely interest

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Wonder if it's a ploy to get Lyon to move on Fekir. Can't see us signing two more central attackers

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Can't wait to see him sitting in the stands as Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia play 90 minutes every week.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Literally everyone broke it at the same time so there's definitely interest

Or his agent leaked it to everyone

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Given Arsenal have Xhaka and now Lichtsteiner, I’m kinda surprised there hasn’t been a load of journo talk about Shaqiri going there

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

EvilHawk posted:

Not keen on him tbh
That's basically pocket change these days. For that kind of money, he'd be a decent backup.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

Can't wait to see him sitting in the stands as Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia play 90 minutes every week.

Valencia fell apart in the second half last season, I think he'll see a big drop in starts.

I'm honestly so confused why commentators don't constantly point out his debilitating right-footedness. He killed momentum so often by simply not being able to go left without a 270-degree turn or outside-foot pass.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Big Shaq loving owns, can play anywhere behind the striker, has fantastic technique, a good shot, good work rate, still youngish... He's just a bit brainless and selfish sometimes, who cares. He'd do well at Liverpool.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheBigAristotle posted:

Valencia fell apart in the second half last season, I think he'll see a big drop in starts.

Neither of the two should be starting games again for United. Young isn't terrible, but he's very one dimensional going forward and United need their wingbacks to be able to create and support the attack.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

He's only 26

This is absolutely shocking, but I guess he has been around for almost 10 years now.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Shaq has been a professional first-team player since age 17

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm honestly so confused why commentators don't constantly point out his debilitating right-footedness. He killed momentum so often by simply not being able to go left without a 270-degree turn or outside-foot pass.

People don't talk about this any more since Robben continues to own everyone over and over with one foot, but he and maybe Suso are the only players I can think of that consistently get away with it. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now. I haven't seen any of Dalot at all so I'll take your word for it.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

People don't talk about this any more since Robben continues to own everyone over and over with one foot, but he and maybe Suso are the only players I can think of that consistently get away with it. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now. I haven't seen any of Dalot at all so I'll take your word for it.

Douglas Costa too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I called shaqiri back in the spring, look to me for your transfer predictions

edit - I think he's quite good and also that seems VERY cheap considering neymar and and morata and all that

• Locked thread