Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Life is Strange is probably the most successful project they've ever done so far and even that still had some problems here and there. Though then again, the company has only really made 3 games so far so there's still a chance for improvement as things go forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I chuckle because on one side you have a bunch of basement dwelling CHUDS who bitch about the game having too much talking and not enough Souls-Borne. On the other there's blue haired trans-people who wanted another LiS.
It's a bloody good mix and I think that years from now it'll be seen as a classic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mulva posted:

Personally when the game fucks me mid-dialogue I just alt tab out and cancel the process. It doesn't save until the conversation is over. Free do-over bitch!

I'd just own it, myself. The game is clearly meant to be played multiple times in multiple different ways what with the way you can take quests in different directions and even botch them horribly.

Not spoilering this so people don't get taken off guard though. You can outright fail hints. Pembroke Hospital and it's denizens are not a good indication of how open less friendly characters are. You can see this literally right outside the hospital if you spare the gang leader early on. He'll be a patient, as much of a turbo-jackass as ever, and you can gently caress up the very first hint you get out of him which may or may not mess up a quest (That you would never receive if you gently caress up the hint.).

The fact that you can get different quests from playing out different hints different ways is fantastic and basically says they want you to replay this with different styles. Sort of like how you can build for a Bloodlines-esque Nosferatu build or just Tremere or Gangrel it up with blood or mutation based powers.

Also, another unspoilered thing: Before getting on the boat after beating your first boss check around a bit. You can pick up your first two handed weapon which is a scythe. The scythe is one of the first weapons you can get that actually lets you block attacks rather than just dodge them or race the enemy to get the first hit in. Which can be invaluable for harder fights since you can actually throw enemies off balance with it and get a free hit in. If you miss it you have to trek all the way across the city to get it. Which loving sucks given that monster hunters will be out in force.

Also, if you end up going to the morgue (There's a lot of buildings that look like they can be entered, and so far quests don't always take you there. This one can though.) be sure to search every room. Towards the end of it you can find one of the most ridiculously useful early game secondary weapons barring the enhanced stake from the fake vampire crazy lady. It's essentially a switchblade and lets you shank people Jack the Ripper style to steal blood with every hit. Combine that with the semi-hidden surgeon's hacksaw in the hospital and both will basically give you infinite blood so long as you know how to dodge properly. Which lets you spam self heals and powers constantly. Which lets you farm XP without killing civilians.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 6, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
can this game scratch the Vampire Bloodlines itch? I played that for the atmosphere, story and characters. I don't really care about combat one way or another in this game, just as long as the rest of it is good?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

buglord posted:

can this game scratch the Vampire Bloodlines itch? I played that for the atmosphere, story and characters. I don't really care about combat one way or another in this game, just as long as the rest of it is good?

Once you're past the intro and into the open world the game bombs you with like an hour+ of conversation and conspiracies between the various Pembroke staff and patients. And that's before you even start exploring the open world and finding other crazier stuff. It's damned atmospheric too. So yeah. I'd say it's basically Bloodlines-esque, right down to the slightly janky combat.

Edit: Also, a neat thing I discovered. You can avoid fights with monster hunters. If you run at them they assume you're a vampire hungry for blood. However if you hold the walk key down they'll usually (It seems to depend on how close you are when they see you and their rank in the order. Cadets won't even mess with you half the time if you're careful.) give you a verbal warning to back off instead of attacking. If you go any further then they freak out and attack. This lets you skip a lot of fights before getting stealth powers if you're careful.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 6, 2018

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Haven't bitten anyone yet, but I am thinking about munching on a few absolute shitheads who are actively making life harder for other people. If this actually makes the area better in some tangible way instead of simply lowering the health of the neighborhood I'll be impressed.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got this game and it sucks :haw:. Seriously though, game is good. Glad I got it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I wouldn’t compare this to Bloodlines, mainly because it’s absolutely humorless and the pacing is mind-numbingly slack, which to me is an unforgivable sin in a game clearly meant to be replayed. The first few hours are Peragus Station-caliber dull. It even has the problem people were afraid Pillars of Eternity 2 could have had but ended up avoiding - everyone is voiced but subtitles are doled out in parcels, so it’s impossible to read faster than people talk. Conversations are very slow.

And while Bloodlines was no fantasia, the look and design of locations was deliberate and gave them character. Besides the x-ray vision there’s no real style to the look of Vampyr. Postwar London at night has all oppressiveness of a Soulsborne town with none of the invention or atmosphere.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 6, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m not even really sure why they put in a skip dialogue function, since it doesn’t jump lines, it jumps characters. If a conversant has three lines before passing back to Reid, it will go straight to Reid if you hit x on the first line.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why the hell are you skipping dialogue in a game like this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lodin posted:

I chuckle because on one side you have a bunch of basement dwelling CHUDS who bitch about the game having too much talking and not enough Souls-Borne. On the other there's blue haired trans-people who wanted another LiS.

jesus loving christ

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lodin posted:

Because I keep hoping the next thing to be said will be interesting. The only reason to go through character exposition is to unlock the things that aren’t exposition and are actually potentially worth listening to / provide meat for the choices you will make an hour or two down the line when you’ve unlocked all the context - that is, the unlocked secrets and revealed character relationships. I don’t need to hear for the fourth time that Pembroke is strained and dirty.

Contrast this with, say, Pillars 2. There is just as much exposition, probably more, but it gives you carrots by plugging into disposition and character relationship systems. That makes it go down easier. Also you can skim the flabbier writing and push forward at your own pace.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lodin posted:

I read faster than they talk and the voice acting is kinda mediocre so I don't care to hear people slowly overact their dialog.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

To make the bloodlines comparison, Bloodlines’ dialogue was never boring, the VA was usually excellent, and it was backed up with bafflingly good character animation. Even when I play it for the nth time I still sit through every conversation.

From what I’ve played I think I’d compare Vampyr more to Alpha Protocol than anything - macro-level reactivity, emphasis on dialogue and leveraging research in dialogue, dreary combat and environmental design, boss fights that add nothing to the game - but played at 1/10 speed and 0% of the wit. It’s basically, how much would you like Alpha Protocol in an open world and Mass Effect dialogue design / writing? The answer to that goes a long way toward predicting how much you’ll enjoy Vampyr

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also, what if Alpha Protocol only gave you the pistol skill win button if you took the psycho rear end in a top hat path?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Alpha Protocol is lit so I'll likely buy this when I get home.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lodin posted:

It's a bloody good mix and I think that years from now it'll be seen as a classic.

Bloody hell, m8

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's kind of unfair to compare this, a rando talk-heavy "indie" game, to a cult classic so well loved that people will jump through hoops to even get it running

Lodin posted:

gently caress you

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
New thread title:
Vampyr Protocol - The Dishonored Bloodlines

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this the modern day aloha protocol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm only ~3 hours in but yeah, very much getting an AP vibe.

The blender pitch is "Alpha Protocol meets Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, with a dash of Dishonoured.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I'm gonna play a full badguy run after all. I didn't mind losing exp but locked chests just kill me. Gonna eat everyone for dem chests. Then in a potential second playthrough I only kill people that drop cool stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh hey, I just met the ambulance driver and can't believe I haven't made a The Knick reference, yet! :ohdear:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm about 5 hours in and i'm wondering, has anyone found ways to raise a districts health status beyond healing everyone that are sick?
Running around getting crafting materials and playing whack a mole with peoples diseases is so terribly unfun and you can only ever raise it a little bit that way, but i also want to eat people. I was kinda hoping to find events/quests/things i could do that would raise it again, but nothing so far. It even decreases when you eat someone who is clearly a very poo poo person which i found pretty disappointing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How do you water that dying plant in your office? Or is it meant to be some kind of comparison to the player character slowly losing his humanity so it is impossible to save it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How do you water that dying plant in your office? Or is it meant to be some kind of comparison to the player character slowly losing his humanity so it is impossible to save it.

Option 3: Funny Life is Strange reference where you had a plant you had to take care of each episode but oops if you over-watered it, it died too!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Dongattack posted:

Running around getting crafting materials and playing whack a mole with peoples diseases

The medical profession: playing Whack A Mole with Death.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I don't normally get single player games at launch but I love all the romanian stuff in it so i picked it up. The gameplay variety is about the only thing that would hurt it on a replay, since it's all very samey, but the character hubs are pretty solid. I'm only about 10 hours in but I'm already feeling the difficulty sting from choosing not to kill anyone. It's not as janky as I expected it to be either, no crashes or bugs I've noticed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
So basically I'm Dr. Thackery only human blood is my cocaine! :monocle:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bewilderment posted:

Option 3: Funny Life is Strange reference where you had a plant you had to take care of each episode but oops if you over-watered it, it died too!

Ooooohhhh I should have recognized that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lodin posted:

What the gently caress dude.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I'm about 5 hours in and i'm wondering, has anyone found ways to raise a districts health status beyond healing everyone that are sick?
Running around getting crafting materials and playing whack a mole with peoples diseases is so terribly unfun and you can only ever raise it a little bit that way, but i also want to eat people. I was kinda hoping to find events/quests/things i could do that would raise it again, but nothing so far. It even decreases when you eat someone who is clearly a very poo poo person which i found pretty disappointing.

You can save people in little events that occur and that seems to help.

Sometimes killing people will actually save people down the line. Though this may effect the ending you get. Not sure yet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There's also another connection in addition to those already mentioned (it's just a collectible, but spoilering just in case): The Vampires in this game are actually harmed by plant life. Touching a living plant is apparently painful, and one instance tells of a vampire being significantly injured after being struck with a rose. Apparently that's also why stakes are so effective against them.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Help I made a bad choice and the docks are teetering on collapse and I've had to put down 3 NPCs who ended up becoming crazy or zompires.

Everyone in the docks district either has fatigue or a cold now too, what in the rear end?

Main story spoiler if you want to avoid my mistake: Don't spare the docks pillar priest dude after he turns in to a corpse eating skal. It took him the duration of one whole day to break his oath and form a skal cult and cause the two sisters in that area and the town drunk to go hostile or crazy and try to kill me. After having to put them all down the whole district is a sliver from going hostile

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I spend my time running around checking up on peoples health and giving up free medicine. I might as well start a pharmacy since I synthesized so many drugs I have like 10 of each type.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game really does sound like This War of Mine, haha. Do citizens getting sick and turning into vampires etc. all happen in real-time, or only once you advance certain plot sequences?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

precision posted:

yeah a lot of the reviews seem like people who were not aware the studio's previous game was Life is Strange
yeah a lot of the posters seem like people who were not aware the studio's previous game was Remember Me (a competent action game)

i havent played vampyr yet (because i'll wait for it to be a cheapie) but this shouldn't be an excuse

Archonex
May 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

This game really does sound like This War of Mine, haha. Do citizens getting sick and turning into vampires etc. all happen in real-time, or only once you advance certain plot sequences?

Basically, instead of doing the whole "It's always night in the city and there's no real progression of time." thing that Bloodlines did you actually advance time when sleeping in a hideout or evolving new powers. Since the city is a plague ridden nightmare that's about as borderline livable as Bloodborne's city was prior to the PC showing up things tend to degrade over the day while you're trapped inside due to the sunlight being able to crisp you. Part of this is due to the fact that it's London circa WW1 and the spanish flu is rearing it's head. Aside from the spanish flu there's also a straight up vampiric zombie plague going around that will infect citizens if things go very poorly for a given district.

You can arrest both however by flipping open your district menu at the start of a night and seeing who is most in need of medical attention. You don't need to cure everyone and at the start unless you want to sneak around it might not even be possible. For instance in my game White Chapel (never a good place to be in this time period even in more mundane settings) has over the course of the tutorial become a nightmare almost ready to be overrun with Skal's in my game. The Priwen Guard are engaged in open conflict with them on the street to try and hold the zompire plague back. Even minor NPC's and citizens seem at least slightly aware of the vampires in that area as a result of that.

You can also persuade characters to do or outright just do some really stupid stuff that really screws things up too. Though given that sometimes you and the character don't know it's stupid at the time without researching the lore (this opens up new dialogues through hints and such) you might not know it. Like letting a priest start up a goddamn Skal/zompire cult out on the docks. Which may or may not be preventable given that i've found that holding off on certain quests gives new options. Though if he does it it basically dooms the docks to be completely overrun to the point where there's basically nothing but vampires in the place without a gently caress ton of focus on it over the course of a week or two to ensure it's well being.

From what i've seen so far the game is heavily choice dependent. Which is probably why it's programmed to autosave instead of let you manually save.

The game all but spells all of this out for you in the opening texts and a few lines in the tutorials what with the whole "Take responsibility for your actions." and "Only you can ruin this city with your bad decision making skills save the lives of the people in this city." messages it gives you right on the intro and at the end of the tutorial. Since you're basically the only doctor that gets to see both sides of the epidemic you're the only one that can actually put effort into fighting it at it's source.

Incidentally, i'm not sure if getting to sanitized effects story decisions. But i'm trying to do that prior to unleashing some of the more apocalyptic stuff on the city to see if it helps. I'm not sure if he was right or not, but a friend told me over Steam as things get worse and people start dying/getting infected the citizens get more aware of things going horrifically wrong in the city. Which leads some conversations going into new places. So i'm hoping that having a sanitized rating basically defeats the plague, despite how hard it is to achieve.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 7, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think I'll get this tomorrow after work. I love playing games where poo poo goes wrong and you can't fix it. It's my favourite part of RPGs and merciless autosaves that make you deal with it are extremely my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Archonex posted:

Basically, instead of doing the whole "It's always night in the city and there's no real progression of time." thing that Bloodlines did you actually advance time when sleeping in a hideout or evolving new powers. Since the city is a plague ridden nightmare that's about as borderline livable as Bloodborne's city was prior to the PC showing up things tend to degrade over the day while you're trapped inside due to the sunlight being able to crisp you. Part of this is due to the fact that it's London circa WW1 and the spanish flu is rearing it's head. Aside from the spanish flu there's also a straight up vampiric zombie plague going around that will infect citizens if things go very poorly for a given district.

You can arrest both however by flipping open your district menu at the start of a night and seeing who is most in need of medical attention. You don't need to cure everyone and at the start unless you want to sneak around it might not even be possible. For instance in my game White Chapel (never a good place to be in this time period even in more mundane settings) has over the course of the tutorial become a nightmare almost ready to be overrun with Skal's in my game. The Priwen Guard are engaged in open conflict with them on the street to try and hold the zompire plague back. Even minor NPC's and citizens seem at least slightly aware of the vampires in that area as a result of that.

You can also persuade characters to do or outright just do some really stupid stuff that really screws things up too. Though given that sometimes you and the character don't know it's stupid at the time without researching the lore (this opens up new dialogues through hints and such) you might not know it. Like letting a priest start up a goddamn Skal/zompire cult out on the docks. Which may or may not be preventable given that i've found that holding off on certain quests gives new options. Though if he does it it basically dooms the docks to be completely overrun to the point where there's basically nothing but vampires in the place without a gently caress ton of focus on it over the course of a week or two to ensure it's well being.

From what i've seen so far the game is heavily choice dependent. Which is probably why it's programmed to autosave instead of let you manually save.

The game all but spells all of this out for you in the opening texts and a few lines in the tutorials what with the whole "Take responsibility for your actions." and "Only you can ruin this city with your bad decision making skills save the lives of the people in this city." messages it gives you right on the intro and at the end of the tutorial. Since you're basically the only doctor that gets to see both sides of the epidemic you're the only one that can actually put effort into fighting it at it's source.

Incidentally, i'm not sure if getting to sanitized effects story decisions. But i'm trying to do that prior to unleashing some of the more apocalyptic stuff on the city to see if it helps. I'm not sure if he was right or not, but a friend told me over Steam as things get worse and people start dying/getting infected the citizens get more aware of things going horrifically wrong in the city. Which leads some conversations going into new places. So i'm hoping that having a sanitized rating basically defeats the plague, despite how hard it is to achieve.

Right now I'm right before the Mary boss fight - I bowed out after getting my rear end kicked to go rest. However, I've been curing every single sick person I've met, so the docks and the hospital are both sanitized and were very quickly, and as soon as I hit sanitized nobody ever got sick in that district ever again. I'm just now running to Whitechapel to cure the one guy that needed 3 mesmerize to talk to, and then they should be sanitized too. I can figure that things will get more serious later, but i'm surprised that people even only as far as me seem to have a problem with recurring sickness.

Also, I've found two people that killing would actively save multiple other lives, and one third person who's just human garbage and causing massive misery, but I've gotten so far without eating anybody, so I feel like I should bravely soldier on and go for whatever happens in a pure pacifist ending - Can anyone give me a spoiler as to how much killing just a few especially awful people affects the ending?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 7, 2018

• Locked thread