Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems extremely polarizing with reviews either real good or reacmediocre. Any of you playing it

EDIT: because people gave me shot here’s a updated op:

This game you are a vampire and you talk to people and eventually bite them and kill them there’s also content like dark souls I guess and it’s made by the life is strange people

It son pc Xbox PS4 fun times

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Press Y to fade to black

Games are art

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Spent a little over an hour with this so far for review, and I'm really enjoying it. It's not what I was expecting at all. There's a bit of very light Dark Souls-y combat, then a bit of exploration in a linear area, then a more open area, then a surprising amount of dialog and crafting/upgrading. I keep bouncing from one thing to another without getting a feeling for how deep any of these elements will be, but I kind of love feeling off-balance like this.

Oh, and the whole thing has a surprisingly subdued vibe that works in its favor... until a bit of clunky exposition or dialog completely whiffs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Dark Soulsy, Bloodlines, or Bloodborne? I don't imagine "you die easily" style Dark Souls game play working when you're a superhuman nocturnal predator. Though I guess most of what you'd fight in this game would know your weaknesses.

Seriously tempted to pick this up regardless however. What's the replayability and "dicking around" factor in it?

Steam only has like 8 reviews, which is confusing. I would have thought this game would be selling like hotcakes given the VTM: Bloodlines fixation gamers have. Adding an actual open world game to it (with the ability for districts to fall to the plague and people to be more dynamic) sounds like it would be amazing and right up folks alley.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it unlocked literally a couple hours ago.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it super serious or more like masquerade?

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Been looking forward to this game for a while, I'm giving it a shot no matter what reviews say.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I literally never heard of this game until I started seeing annoying Twitch ads for it a few days ago. Was I just living under a rock or has it been flying under everyone's radar?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I knew about it but didn’t know it was by actual developers until recently. Looks real cool though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The morality system in this game sounds neat. Apparently it's really hard if you only feed on "bad" people, and the more time you spend on developing characters the more exp they give. So you're constantly tempted to just say gently caress it and kill one of them for a bunch of exp.

Now for the bad part: The load times are awful(on PS4). Hopefully those get patched because minute+ load times in a hard game sounds like torture.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 5, 2018

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
they did that thing where they don't promote their game until right before release because the there probably isn't any end game and they want people to impulse buy it before they hear what a huge let down it is. (or its rad and i'm an idiot)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The ACG guy gave it a very positive review and I tend to agree with him most of the time on story-based games, so that's encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidwgHSddIQ

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

they did that thing where they don't promote their game until right before release because the there probably isn't any end game and they want people to impulse buy it before they hear what a huge let down it is. (or its rad and i'm an idiot)

Oh no!

Yeah, I barely saw anything about it, and probably wouldn't even know it existed if I didn't have an eye on Dontnod after Life Is Strange.

I do want a Bloodlines + Pathologic game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
All the steam reviews from people that got it for free are thumbs up and most that bought it are thumbs down. Sounds like a big no.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Story sounds good, gameplay sounds bad, still going to give it a try

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vandalism posted:

All the steam reviews from people that got it for free are thumbs up and most that bought it are thumbs down. Sounds like a big no.

Isn’t this every game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I trust DONTNOD and it looks really good :shrug:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
FWIW it seems that a lot of the negative reviews are complaining that it isn't Dark Souls/a hack and slash/insert person's favorite game here or complaining about a graphical glitch that can occur.

It sounds like it went the Bloodlines route of making the story and character interactions a major focus as well. So if you liked that game you'd probably enjoy this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah a lot of the reviews seem like people who were not aware the studio's previous game was Life is Strange

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm reading that the dialogue choices are just like later BioWare games where your character blurts out something totally different than you selected. It would be great if someone could confirm/deny this as I trust goons.

Other than that I'm curious about the differences between the X and PS4Pro before picking this up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Archonex posted:

FWIW it seems that a lot of the negative reviews are complaining that it isn't Dark Souls/a hack and slash/insert person's favorite game here or complaining about a graphical glitch that can occur.

It sounds like it went the Bloodlines route of making the story and character interactions a major focus as well. So if you liked that game you'd probably enjoy this one.

Looking at the promotional material you could he forgiven for thinking that it would be those things, though. It looks very Bloodborne.

I mean, the preorder stuff is weapons.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Spent a couple of hours watching someone play this game and it looks solid but highly derivative of every other open world game to come out in the past 4 years (Witcher 3, Soulsborne, Dishonored, Fallout, Nioh, etc).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't think I could find a reason to spend 50$ on this game over any of those. It doesn't seem to do offer anything uniquely interesting other than maybe the setting.

The relationship system could be the big selling point but seems rather shallow at the start so I'd have to see more.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BattleHamster posted:

Spent a couple of hours watching someone play this game and it looks solid but highly derivative of every other open world game to come out in the past 4 years (Witcher 3, Soulsborne, Dishonored, Fallout, Nioh, etc).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't think I could find a reason to spend 50$ on this game over any of those. It doesn't seem to do offer anything uniquely interesting other than maybe the setting.

The relationship system could be the big selling point but seems rather shallow at the start so I'd have to see more.

That sure is a.. diverse list of games you have there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Great OP. Love it.

Really curious about this game now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are there vampires in this game???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can you play as a THICC lady vampire who struts the street in like a sexy corset showing off your T&A???

Asking for a friend.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The plot description and general tension between taking the easy way and saving people sounded more Pathologic to me than Dark Souls. Is it like that? Because I would love a slightly less janky Pathologic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baby Babbeh posted:

The plot description and general tension between taking the easy way and saving people sounded more Pathologic to me than Dark Souls. Is it like that? Because I would love a slightly less janky Pathologic.

i am given to understand this is a mega story based RPG from the creators of noted action game Life is Strange, and that anyone expecting it to be anything even remotely like Dark Souls is gonna be in for a world of disappointment

e: i was gonna go ahead and pick it up and start playing but PSN is being stupid right now and i am way too lazy to go out just to buy some PSN cards, i'll grab it in a couple days after some more goons play it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Haven't played too much of it so far, but I like it. Yeah the combat is kinda lame, but it seems like a lot of the game is kinda like the quests in Witcher, where you are off investigating stuff and talking to people about things. I'm not regretting getting it 25% off at GMG. At least not yet.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I heard this is a spiritual successor to Vampire: The Masquerade c/d

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I heard this is a spiritual successor to Vampire: The Masquerade c/d

People seem to call it a Deus Ex Vampire, which in my mind wouldn't be that far off from VTM.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Had no idea this was even out. How's the story, or at least the presentation of it? This doesn't look like my usual kind of game but Dontnod has bought themselves quite a lot of faith on my part and I'm willing to give it a shot if the story is done half as well as LiS.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It appears to be the top selling game on Steam at the moment so you probably don't have to worry about it being abandoned

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What the heck this game came out?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Haven't played too much of it so far, but I like it. Yeah the combat is kinda lame, but it seems like a lot of the game is kinda like the quests in Witcher, where you are off investigating stuff and talking to people about things. I'm not regretting getting it 25% off at GMG. At least not yet.

The reviews say it starts weak and gets better so let us all know!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Chomp8645 posted:

Can you play as a THICC lady vampire who struts the street in like a sexy corset showing off your T&A???

Asking for a friend.

yeah you can, it's good OP

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The RPS review seems to like the combat and be disappointed by the story/morality stuff. As someone who was interested because of the story/morality stuff, this sounds very disappointing: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/04/vampyr-review-pc/

Can't tell whether this game is going to be divisive or whether it's just flat out disappointing.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
FWIT, I'm about 5 hours in and still near some of the starting area (I play slow and like to explore).

-Combat is fairly smooth, kind of Soulsborne im style with more supplementary abilities to flesh out your playstyle. Almost all powers have a forked path which usually comes out to either AOE/DOT abilities or straight power ups. So if you're a paitent combatant or the kind of person who balls to the walls their combat, you can find some kind of style to mesh.

-Dialog and morality are interesting, but will be a case of YMMV. As others said there is some Bioware-esque tendencies for NPCs to spit out their life stories at you, and some NPCs have more to say than others. That said some diolog can only be unlocked after map investigations or following chains of conversation with others which is cool.

-The overall moral choice system of the game is groovy so far. You have no karma meter, just a district bar that measures how safe the area is. Start munching on named people and logically people feel less safe with folks vanishing. The game actively tells you that if you decide to foregoe killing people outside combat, you make it harder on yourself. Mechanically the people who you might have an easier time justify munching on give you less xp in general than nice guy charaters (for example first map, a sick ptsd homeless vet, a gangster and mentally ill person combine give you less xp than one ambulance driver). Plus there are no munch on folk choices too, the first one I encountered really stumped me too because both options seemed like good answers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BattleHamster posted:

"Highly derivative of a list of games that play almost nothing alike"

O...okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
without resorting to trawling twitch, can someone point me in the direction of some gameplay footage?

• Locked thread