Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sarsapariller posted:

Bug report- I attacked a -1000 hostile neighbor, while coaxing a neighbor on their other side into joining me in my war. This was a traditional all-or-nothing fight, no claims. At the war's end, we had each carved about half of the territory out when they surrendered, and everything we'd taken became ours automatically. The neighbor I was fighting with instantly went hostile and closed borders, citing claims on my systems? I'm guessing that what happened was that they'd claimed the systems while the hostile neighbor was there, but I happened to take them during the conflict.

This is pretty aggravating because afaik I can't even see which systems it is they are claiming. Not that I'd give them away, but it'd be nice to see how much it would cost me to get the borders open again. The last piece of my alien zoo is in there, dammit!

You can survey while at war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do you check how much threat you have? I just vassalized my neighbor and got a bunch of hostile diplomatic events that must be because of threat, but there's no indication how threatening you're perceived to be or how much the different war goals contribute to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Threat is per-empire, there's no one way to check it.

A good example is all the genocide penalties you'll accumulate as Exterminators; robot empires tend not to care.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Threat is per-empire, there's no one way to check it.

Yeah, but if you hover the mouse over your relationship with any given empire, you can see how much it is being impacted by threat.

On a different note: claims suck. Inevitably I and a neighbor, who have worked together well up to this point, will both make a claim or two on a third empire, and then whenever one of us takes those claims our relationships will be irretrievably shot to hell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ulmont posted:

On a different note: claims suck. Inevitably I and a neighbor, who have worked together well up to this point, will both make a claim or two on a third empire, and then whenever one of us takes those claims our relationships will be irretrievably shot to hell.

Hello, Space Europe.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Look at it this way, they were going to be your next target anyway and now you have a reason to follow through.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the idea of claims, but their long-term effects on diplomacy need a re-think.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Am I missing something or is there no way to see what claims other empires have on you without going into each system individually?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clanpot Shake posted:

How do you check how much threat you have? I just vassalized my neighbor and got a bunch of hostile diplomatic events that must be because of threat, but there's no indication how threatening you're perceived to be or how much the different war goals contribute to it.
Hover over their opinion of you in the diplomacy screen, it will say how much if that is due to threat.

Baronjutter posted:

You can survey while at war.
I have committed war crimes to collect animals. So many war crimes.

Aethernet posted:

You can see - use the Manage Claims option and mouseover the systems in question. It'll tell you who has a claim on it. It would be nice to have a Claims mapmode though.
Yes please.

Baronjutter posted:

I like the idea of claims, but their long-term effects on diplomacy need a re-think.
What is there is fine, it just needs more. I like the Space Europe behaviour, there just needs to be an alternate way to deal with it other than assassinating Ferdinand. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from relinquishing your own claims to smooth over relations but some way to request other empires do the same would be nice.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There desperately needs to be a way to request your war partners to call it a day when you aren't the primary combatant. Twice now I've been trapped in forever wars with my buddy empire because he has delusions of grandeur and has claimed literally every system our two mutual enemies own. The second time I tried to politely say "thanks, no thanks" to his war declaration, but he kept spamming it, making me lose 50 opinion with each rejection, and I was worried he would drop out of my Federation in a huff if he didn't get his way.

I'd also like a way to influence Federation votes. I want to invite a third guy to my Federation, but my buddy is voting NO and I'm not sure why. They both have Friendly relations with each other, what's the holdup?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Different ethics I find. Galaxy often ends up in a spiritualist/everyone else binary for me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vengarr posted:

I'd also like a way to influence Federation votes. I want to invite a third guy to my Federation, but my buddy is voting NO and I'm not sure why. They both have Friendly relations with each other, what's the holdup?
I don't have a general solution but uh why not piss off that guy until he leaves and then recruit the not idiot instead?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Splicer posted:

I don't have a general solution but uh why not piss off that guy until he leaves and then recruit the not idiot instead?

I have a reason: Don't join federations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vengarr posted:

Probably doesn't want you to be able to form a voting block with #3 and out vote him (or at least he would if he weren't an AI). Same should go for you too really; I can't imagine forming a federation I wasn't overwhelmingly dominant within.

e2: scratch that all votes have to be unanimous anyway. gently caress that.

Speaking of, what happens if you have vassals and join a Federation?

e: oh god it's -2 Influence to be in a Federation? :lol:

Shadowlyger posted:

Don't join federations.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 6, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

PittTheElder posted:

What? When did that happen? I thought one of the benefits to joining a federation was so you didn't have to pay the influence cost of defense pacts or other guarantees. That just makes them even less appealing.

The better solution to being friends with a federation when someone is trying to cockblock you is to declare war on the federation to beat the poo poo out of the third wheel then vasallize the other party you were interested in. Usually works for me.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

In general I just wish there were more ways to influence another empires opinion. Even something as simple as trade deals improving relations would go a long way I think. Maybe add some sort of consumer goods trade, too, and allow embargos.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

In general I just wish there were more ways to influence another empires opinion. Even something as simple as trade deals improving relations would go a long way I think. Maybe add some sort of consumer goods trade, too, and allow embargos.

Yeah I've never really understood why they took away the embassies that you could send to other empires to improve relations in 1.0. Even if you could just do one at a time, it would be really nice and make sense to be able to have some ability to do some targeted, direct diplomacy

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Probably doesn't want you to be able to form a voting block with #3 and out vote him (or at least he would if he weren't an AI). Same should go for you too really; I can't imagine forming a federation I wasn't overwhelmingly dominant within.

e2: scratch that all votes have to be unanimous anyway. gently caress that.

Speaking of, what happens if you have vassals and join a Federation?

Vassals remain vassals, and to form federations yourself you need the Diplomacy tradition, the opener of which cuts diplomacy costs in half, so it's -1 influence to be in a federation your start.

The Federation fleet having no size cap is dead handy. If only fleet manager worked with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I found some primitives with a dead god. It's a planet mod giving +200% spiritualist attraction and I've never seen it before. Is it just going to sit there forever? Are there any events related? Can I get rid of it one day? I enlightened these guys and they are firmly materialist some how, but I wonder how long it will last. Seems like really cool event hook.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vengarr posted:

The second time I tried to politely say "thanks, no thanks" to his war declaration, but he kept spamming it, making me lose 50 opinion with each rejection, and I was worried he would drop out of my Federation in a huff if he didn't get his way.

Voting no gives you a relationship malus, but ignoring the vote and letting it time out has no penalty. :iiam:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

What? When did that happen? I thought one of the benefits to joining a federation was so you didn't have to pay the influence cost of defense pacts or other guarantees. That just makes them even less appealing.

The better solution to being friends with a federation when someone is trying to cockblock you is to declare war on the federation to beat the poo poo out of the third wheel then vasallize the other party you were interested in. Usually works for me.

Federations are effectively a defensive pact with multiple empires simultaneously, and the federation fleet having no upkeep is pretty nice for keeping your relative power score high without tanking your economy (plus you can use it to double your strength if you're having trouble with a nearby leviathan or something). The trick is to avoid joining federations with brain-dead allies, which can admittedly be a challenge given the AI.

Once the federations phase of the game hits it becomes challenging to maintain soft diplomacy with multiple empires since you can no longer NAP with people in a federation and you can only become associate with one federation. Depending on how the galaxy layout looks, maybe it's worth joining one as a preemptive safety measure.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So I found some primitives with a dead god. It's a planet mod giving +200% spiritualist attraction and I've never seen it before. Is it just going to sit there forever? Are there any events related? Can I get rid of it one day? I enlightened these guys and they are firmly materialist some how, but I wonder how long it will last. Seems like really cool event hook.

What age were yours? Mine were just getting ready to hop into space so I invaded asap. When it finished I got an event with three outcomes "Oh mighty heaven warriors, are you the heralds of our dead god?" 1.Yes - boost to productivity for a long time. 2.No - no obvious reward, haven't chosen it so no idea what it does. 3.Whatever, just get these scum off my planet - no obvious reward, haven't chosen it so no idea what it does. and after I chose 1 they've been pretty firmly half spiritualist and half materialist from early game to early 2400s.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Federation Fleet can also have unlimited ships per fleet, it seems? Which is situationally useful, particularly if you've got a single uber-badass admiral.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VikingofRock posted:

When you do a trade deal it improves their opinion by (acceptance amount) - 1

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Splicer posted:

When you do a trade deal it improves their opinion by (acceptance amount) - 1

That decays far too fast, though. 10 years later they’re taking the Grey Dust for granted.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

As a robotized materialist empire. Fed'ing up with some determined exterminators has been the best move i ever made

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really kinda wish the ship designer gave me the stats before I slotted the equipments in the spots.

Because I'm lazy.

My whine aside, dumb down some basic tips for me to build a decent fleet or what I should gear towards in the rock/paper/scissors style. Should I do some cannons on a corvette, lasers on destroyers, shields/armor mixture on all? I'm feeling a little lost trying to design my own fleets.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 7, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think what I hate about claims is that they never go away even when an empire switches ethics and so they will pretty much hate you forever because they were aggressive once and decided they wanted your home system or something.

Jerks :argh:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know what happens if you load a savegame from 2.1.1 where you have the World Shaper ascension perk as a Machine Empire that you can't have in 2.1.1b? It's an ironman game so I don't want to try if it fucks something up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

That decays far too fast, though. 10 years later they’re taking the Grey Dust for granted.
I think having an active trade agreement also improves trust. There's a cap obviously, but initial relationships can be started with a trade -> trust builds -> trade ends -> new very favorable trade -> relationship should be high enough to leverage into a NAP -> NAP ups trust cap etc.

Note: this is not an "Everything's fine stop complaining!!!!" post.

Xenaero posted:

I really kinda wish the ship designer gave me the stats before I slotted the equipments in the spots.

Because I'm lazy.

My whine aside, dumb down some basic tips for me to build a decent fleet or what I should gear towards in the rock/paper/scissors style. Should I do some cannons on a corvette, lasers on destroyers, shields/armor mixture on all? I'm feeling a little lost trying to design my own fleets.
If you hover over the S M L icons beside the component it will tell you the stats.

Your basic ship workhorse has a gun that does -shield and +armour and a slightly longer range gun that does +armour and -shields. Then set their behavior to whatever's just within gun range. Go 50/50 armour/shields and add an A slot (if you're running low on power use the powerbooster. If you're mixing hull types use the afterburners to keep them about the same speed). Add about 25% PD ships for safety. Throw in some torpedo ships too if that floats your boat. This will get you a fleet that will do acceptably well against most threats. Rock paper scissors is basically seeing if they've got more shields/armour/hull than usual and deploying weapons with the appropriate + (or bypass).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Does the Ship Designer give you base stats or does it also give you the stats that would apply after bonuses for your empire?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Shugojin posted:

I think what I hate about claims is that they never go away even when an empire switches ethics and so they will pretty much hate you forever because they were aggressive once and decided they wanted your home system or something.

Jerks :argh:

Let me tell you about how China is still super salty about Taiwan even though the cultural revolution is over and they literally have nothing to lose from letting Taiwan join the UN and have embassies like a normal rear end country.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but if you hover the mouse over your relationship with any given empire, you can see how much it is being impacted by threat.

That's why you're supposed to get the people you work well together with into an alliance. Otherwise it's zero sum out in space. Which makes sense really, given the competition for resources and the clashing ideologies there is zero reason not to assume that the Empire you've fought beside in Space War One won't instantly attempt to strangle your empire in the cradle in Space War Two.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Does the Ship Designer give you base stats or does it also give you the stats that would apply after bonuses for your empire?

Base stats, sadly. Doesn't include things like research techs for bonus hull HP or the repeatable damage techs either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So there's a lot of bugs in the beta I've run across. For instance the prosperity tree doesn't do half of what it claims, my hubs aren't producing unity for example.

(oops no they do, they just take a few months to kick in. Weird they used to apply instantly)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Sometimes modifiers don't update until the month rolls over but I haven't noticed anything straight up missing.

I did run into the Unity overflow bug after opting into 2.1.1 shortly after it was made available. It seems to have been fixed again though.

2.1.1 is supposed to be a rolling beta though so some things may get fixed and others broken as they play around with it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Relevant Tangent posted:

That's why you're supposed to get the people you work well together with into an alliance.

...I did. That didn't stop the conflicting claims trashing our relationship, after which the empire broke the alliance.

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
Anyone got any guides or resources for playing ultra wide? I'm bored of science nexus rushing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Irving.jpg posted:

Anyone got any guides or resources for playing ultra wide? I'm bored of science nexus rushing.

General Rules:

Colonize everything 12 tiles or higher.
Prioritize techs/buildings/etc that speed up pop growth.
Be sure to put every Unity building on every planet.
Put a few science buildings on each planet, OR dedicate every 5th-6th planet to science.
Influence will be your limiting factor throughout most of the game, be it through claims to gain territory in war or just starbase cost in the early game. Anything you can do to reduce influence costs or gain more influence is worth its weight in gold.
The easiest way to gain lots of territory is to go to war with a Total War empire. It lets you leverage your economy (in the form of ships) to expand, rather than influence.
You want Gateways ASAP.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ulmont posted:

...I did. That didn't stop the conflicting claims trashing our relationship, after which the empire broke the alliance.

Claims should almost certainly be cleared if ownership is transitioned to an ally during a war. That's a pretty annoying bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

ConfusedUs posted:

General Rules:

Colonize everything 12 tiles or higher.
Prioritize techs/buildings/etc that speed up pop growth.
Be sure to put every Unity building on every planet.
Put a few science buildings on each planet, OR dedicate every 5th-6th planet to science.
Influence will be your limiting factor throughout most of the game, be it through claims to gain territory in war or just starbase cost in the early game. Anything you can do to reduce influence costs or gain more influence is worth its weight in gold.
The easiest way to gain lots of territory is to go to war with a Total War empire. It lets you leverage your economy (in the form of ships) to expand, rather than influence.
You want Gateways ASAP.

This sounds like a good strategy for my pet empire (Fanatic Egalitarian/Militarist with Beacon of Liberty and Citizen Service). I'm guessing go for Discovery and either Expansion or Harmony first, then pick up Interstellar Dominion and crap outposts everywhere I can?