Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Got the June White Dwarf today. Super excited about the new box set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm waiting for server stuff to happen at work so here's a big post about what I think about AoS 2.

I like the rules changes. A bunch of them are just "hey we noticed people were ignoring our stupid rules and doing logical things instead so here you go" and, like, sure. Whatever. I like the pile-in changes because I played the game recently and found myself in a situation where I couldn't pile-in properly because my dudes were conga-lining around a tree, and it was dumb. The magic stuff seems cool, Endless Spells and the way the turn priority has changed has made the double turn an actual thing to consider.

All of the faction focus stuff wasn't helpful. They didn't elaborate on how the factions play, all of the interviews were pretty shallow, and a lot of the new edition stuff was based on how best to pile on Command Abilities to roll more dice. The Command Abilities stuff is nice on paper but if the highlight is a theoretical 480 attacks on skeletons then I'll pass.

No mention of if every faction will get a Battletome, no consolidation of the tiny stupid subfactions. And combat is probably still going to be huge piles of dudes haplessly bashing at each other with three different weapons with slightly different statlines. AoS is making moves in the right direction, but if it's going to be a mass battles game then it needs interesting decisions to happen in the combat phase. Morale, flanking and positioning need to be looked at before I'd start calling AoS a good game.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I made the mistake of watching Fate/Apocrypha first because it was on Netflix and it had that one character my fellow gay nerds really like and was deeply, deeply confused. There were pretty animes murdering each other with magic nukes, also Dracula was there.

Booyah- posted:

nah, I think it really is the paint and GW photos. A lot of the sculpts are really well done.

For example: the same model by GW and someone else:

The GW gold with bright silver highlights and photos make everything look blown out and overexposed, and the details look really noisy. The composition of that mini is really good and comes out really well with better blocking on the colors.

Retributor is so much better with a Brown or Purple wash it's not even funny. You can throw the studio scheme adding a highlight of Auric Armour on the blame pile as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rhaegar posted:

Got the June White Dwarf today. Super excited about the new box set.

Any prices?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SteelMentor posted:

Retributor is so much better with a Brown or Purple wash it's not even funny. You can throw the studio scheme adding a highlight of Auric Armour on the blame pile as well.

Agreed with this. I've done a bunch of gold with fleshtone and a bunch with brown and the switch to brown helped a lot.

I also think you want to highlight with a bit more retributor gold and then use something like model air gold.

Edging with silver is okay, but if you seal your mini the colors will warp and the silver will be stark. So if you do that, you want to avoid sealing. I usually seal after the wash and then highlight or don't seal at all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of Stormcasts.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/06/faction-focus-stormcast-eternals-part-2gw-homepage-post-3/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I picked up another Weirdnob Warband box yesterday for the Brutes, and today Ebay has a 20% off anything coupon. drat it. :argh:

Why can't there be advance pre-orders for Soul Wars today? Whhhhhy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

I picked up another Weirdnob Warband box yesterday for the Brutes, and today Ebay has a 20% off anything coupon. drat it. :argh:

Agreed it sucks.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

wait the double turn is still in?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

Yeah but it’s less likely now (ties in the roll-off go to the player who didn’t just have their turn) and there’s some benefit to going second in the round.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nopantsjack posted:

Yes but there have been some changes. What Danimo mentioned with Ties. As as well as new stuff like Endless magic being controllable by both players, (But starting with the player who goes second.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Yes but predatory Endless spells can be moved by anyone and the player with the second turn has priority on moving them. Double turns are now less likely because whoever has an Endless spell in the field will want to go second so they don't get their own troops mown down by the purple koosh ball of death.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

GreenMarine posted:

Agreed with this. I've done a bunch of gold with fleshtone and a bunch with brown and the switch to brown helped a lot.

I also think you want to highlight with a bit more retributor gold and then use something like model air gold.

Edging with silver is okay, but if you seal your mini the colors will warp and the silver will be stark. So if you do that, you want to avoid sealing. I usually seal after the wash and then highlight or don't seal at all.

My last gold armor model I used Vallejo Smoke mixed with glaze medium and it was indeed 1000% better for me than Reikland Fleshshade.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone know if the Plague Drones in the Start Collecting! and Blightwar box are the same models?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

berzerkmonkey posted:

Does anyone know if the Plague Drones in the Start Collecting! and Blightwar box are the same models?

They are.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's 20% off your entire cart.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Is there anything in the current starter set that won’t be purchasable from GW as a separate kit when the starter set is replaced? I’m thinking like all the unique kits in Dark Vengeance (heavy weapon cultists, monopose Helbrute, Chosen)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Depending on the points cost, I might switch my Stormcast battleline from all Liberators to a mix of Liberators/Sequitors. A 4+ rerollable save sounds pretty ok as long as they're not standing in front of something with high rend.

Milotic posted:

Is there anything in the current starter set that won’t be purchasable from GW as a separate kit when the starter set is replaced? I’m thinking like all the unique kits in Dark Vengeance (heavy weapon cultists, monopose Helbrute, Chosen)

You currently can't buy Lord Relictors on the Stormcast end, IDK about the Khorne stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Injuryprone posted:

It's 20% off your entire cart.

Yeah, but I already paid for the Ironjawz, and there are no Soul Wars preorders up in the US yet. I really want to use the code, but I'm having a hard time justifying buying anything else right now (which is odd for me.) I'm close to buying the Nurgle Daemon SC, for the Plaguebearers and Herald to fill out my Blightwar sets, but they aren't a high priority right now so I'm just meh on them.

I think I'm just too jazzed on the new spooks to really care about the other armies on my shelf that I might play with in the future...

Thank you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Depending on the points cost, I might switch my Stormcast battleline from all Liberators to a mix of Liberators/Sequitors. A 4+ rerollable save sounds pretty ok as long as they're not standing in front of something with high rend.

You currently can't buy Lord Relictors on the Stormcast end, IDK about the Khorne stuff.

Aren't Lord Relictors valuable to most Stormcast list?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Khorgorath is used in a lot of Khorne lists as well, but you also can't get it outside of the base box.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, they're really good. It's stupid and I hope they start selling them (and not for like 35 dollars).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

They probably will sell the Relictor eventually, like how the Bloodsecrator and Mighty Lord of Khorne were only available in the starter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

The Khorgorath is used in a lot of Khorne lists as well, but you also can't get it outside of the base box.

I can't even find the Warscroll for the Khorgorath.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't even find the Warscroll for the Khorgorath.

It's on the page for the starter set.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Age-Sigmar-Box-ENG

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

They fixed that recently then. Cause it did not used to be.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Any sign of prices yet?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

Any sign of prices yet?

£95 for starter

£45 for spells

£20 for ghb

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

£95 for starter

£45 for spells

£20 for ghb

Spells are looking to be 10 bucks cheaper then I thought they were going to be.

Also £95 is the same price as Dark Imperium. (Though if it was a faithful transition it would be 165 CAD rather then the 190 CAD I need to pay.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 6, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

TKIY posted:

£95 for starter

£45 for spells

£20 for ghb

How much for the push fit kits?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

How much for the push fit kits?

I'm thinking that those are going to be Shadespire warbands at some point, so I would wager $20 each. The textured bases kind of give them away as being AoS adjacent.

I don't want to pay for them and find out that I have to buy another set specifically for Shadespire to get the cards, but the spoopy crow on the Glaivewraith Stalkers is awesome and very tempting.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 6, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That AoS set is looking pretty amazing, those ghosts have a great sense of movement. The only flat note I saw was that the executioner's noose is hanging parallel to the gallows pole, and that's an easy fix.

We had our second meetup in the 7e league, and so far we're all relearning rules and lists. There is a lot to keep track of - the new GW standard of putting all the rules on one entry is a huge quality of life increase.

I totally forgot my Dark Elves had Hate, how Armor Penetration works, and a few other crucial things. Right now ther biggest hurdle is that players will remember a rule from the wrong iteration of WHFB, 40K, or even Mordheim.

Once we're up to speed, I'm looking forward to sharing some photos and reports!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, did the mold for the Daughter of Dark Aelvis blood bowl thingie break? They've been out of stock for a long time now and none of the stores I'm around has it in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was reboxed into a DE allies package, which i think depleted supplies of the a la cart Cauldron.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

It was reboxed into a DE allies package, which i think depleted supplies of the a la cart Cauldron.

That hasn't been on sale for a very while now. Why can't they just make more? It's been a couple months. Shouldn't be hard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I imagine they destroyed the older boxes and have switched plastic production over to all the new kits.

We should start seeing them again when they catch up - probably in plain white boxes at first, just like when DE Raiders went scarce in 40k last year. (After being included in a Start Collecting box. )

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am pretty sure the Blood Coven box has just become available again, I just ordered one the other day and it shipped.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LordAba posted:

That hasn't been on sale for a very while now. Why can't they just make more? It's been a couple months. Shouldn't be hard.

Someone talked about this when there were a lot of shortages of 40k stuff (around the Tyranids release).

Basically there's two factors:

1) production runs on their machines are scheduled weeks/months in advance. They have stock projections and they plan moulds accordingly. This is necessary to minimise downtime, but makes it hard to be responsive if something suddenly flies off the shelves.

2) they are way over capacity. 40k 8th being wildly successful has pushed them beyond their ability to keep all the plates spinning on 1). They did actually plan for this and bought more plant to be able to expand, but there's an issue with the local power grid which they're in a slap fight with the council/DNO over.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Corrode posted:

Someone talked about this when there were a lot of shortages of 40k stuff (around the Tyranids release).

Basically there's two factors:

1) production runs on their machines are scheduled weeks/months in advance. They have stock projections and they plan moulds accordingly. This is necessary to minimise downtime, but makes it hard to be responsive if something suddenly flies off the shelves.

2) they are way over capacity. 40k 8th being wildly successful has pushed them beyond their ability to keep all the plates spinning on 1). They did actually plan for this and bought more plant to be able to expand, but there's an issue with the local power grid which they're in a slap fight with the council/DNO over.

Legitimately, the biggest problem they have right now is warehousing. They literally have none left, to the point of stock being piled in people's offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Legitimately, the biggest problem they have right now is warehousing. They literally have none left, to the point of stock being piled in people's offices.

It's kind of funny to think that this giant publicly-traded 40 year old corporation is experiencing the sort of problems you expect from a brand new start-up, because they were so poo poo for so long that they've surprised themselves by making minor changes and immediately becoming vastly more successful

• Locked thread