Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Read more than a sentence of that wiki and you might learn the One Weird Trick that makes both of you right!

Right, this is the start of the paragraph:

Filet mignon (/ˌfiːleɪ ˈmiːnjɒ̃/;[1] French for "tender fillet" or "delicate/fine fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

In English speaking countries, it is beef. In France, it is pork. This is an English-language board, and you are speaking English, ergo...

E: VVV gently caress you got me
it's a french word, not an english one, and lol at whoever got salty enough about french loanwords to spend :tenbux:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's a french word, not an english one

om nom nom posted:

Filet mignon (/ˌfiːleɪ ˈmiːnjɒ̃/;[1] French for "tender fillet" or "delicate/fine fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin

This is not difficult to understand. You do seem well-adjusted, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's phrased like my post but I don't $10 care enough about my own account, nevermind others.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

This is not difficult to understand. You do seem well-adjusted, though.
you're right; it's not difficult, however you seem to have left a bit off with your quote
here, let me help.

quote:

Filet mignon (/ˌfiːleɪ ˈmiːnjɒ̃/;[1] French for "tender fillet" or "delicate/fine fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin, or psoas major of the cow carcass, usually a steer or heifer. In French this cut is always called filet de bœuf, which translates in English to beef fillet. The reason that this cut in French is always called filet de boeuf is because, in French, filet mignon always means pork tenderloin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fuckin hell I was trying to be diplomatic, not argue with you

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elizabethan Error posted:

you're right; it's not difficult, however you seem to have left a bit off with your quote
here, let me help.

here, let me help:

quote:

Filet mignon (/ˌfiːleɪ ˈmiːnjɒ̃/;[1] French for "tender fillet" or "delicate/fine fillet") is a steak cut of beef taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin, or psoas major of the cow carcass, usually a steer or heifer. In French this cut is always called filet de bœuf, which translates in English to beef fillet. The reason that this cut in French is always called filet de boeuf is because, in French, filet mignon always means pork tenderloin.

Reading! It's heinz-o-matic!

Considering that this whole discussion started with Chick-fil-a, an American company that does business primarily in English, and has a fake war going on in their advertising between chicken and beef, I don't think pork has anything to do with it :shrug:

E: I no longer think you are well adjusted.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jun 6, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

here, let me help:
a french loadword loanword means things in french. what an astounding insight you have there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We speak French here and it's beef.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the little things that earn people titles on these forums, and I love that it all goes to a good cause.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Different things mean different things in different countries. Sometimes a word can be French, but mean something in an English speaking country that it doesn’t mean in a different county despite being French in both countries.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Chai Tea" drives me nuts. Tea tea??

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was trying to say the word could be either pork or beef depending on the context and avoid an incredibly dumb slapfight but I guess one may as well try to hold back the tides

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Baronjutter posted:

First time someone ordered that for me I misheard them and thought they said “Tri” tea. It took me a very long time* to figure it out because I was 15, didn’t look at the menu, and knew I would look stupid for asking.

*like a week

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Baronjutter posted:

I buy those all the time with the money I get from the ATM machine after putting in my PIN number.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So which mod is going to change the username to Elizabeefan Error?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Garrand posted:

So which mod is going to change the username to Elizabeefan Error?
MODS?????

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Well here's another chunk from that wiki article. Filet mignon, in France, may refer to pork, but in US English and Quebec french, as well as many other places in the world, it refers to a cut of beef. I worked in a French bistro in the USA that had "Filet de Boeuf" for a title, and the description/English translation said "6oz Filet Mignon". It is also pretty clear that the article is referring to filet mignon as beef.

I skipped around copy/pasting and excluded the languages whose names for a petite beef tenderloin aren't filet mignon or something similar.

wikipedia posted:

The same cut of beef can also be called:

French: filet de bœuf

French (Québec): filet mignon

English (U.S.): filet mignon

Swedish: filé mignon or oxfilé

Spanish: solomillo or filete miñón

Dutch: filet mignon

Portuguese: filé or filé mignon

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The Flash and Flash Gordon are not the same person.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cyberia posted:

At some point when I were a lad the British series The Spider was published in the local editon of The Phantom as a back-up comic and in some stories characters sometimes referred to him as "spider man" and it hosed with my mind because I was dumb as hell and couldn't deal with things being called other things.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Buffet is not the same thing as buffet.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Famous singer Jimmy Buff-ay is made entirely out of beef.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

I sucks when I read read as read and not read so I have to re-read read as read so I can read read correctly.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rydiafan posted:

Famous singer Jimmy Buff-ay is made entirely out of beef.

Except in France.

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

credburn posted:

I never heard of Chick-Fill-A until I read Tucker Max's book about being an rear end in a top hat (and his followup book about being a rich rear end in a top hat) and then the next time I heard of it it was because they were homophobic. Then I found out their slogan is basically a desperate anthropomorphic Jew-cow trying to quissling his way or whatever it's called to good favor by selling out another race to the ovens. Everything about them sounds terrible.

A kow-po, if you will.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

cyberia posted:

:confused: :hf: :confused:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Flash Gordon is also not Commissioner Gordon, who is not Gordon Gekko.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which Flash was in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Which Flash was in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Flash-in-the-pan

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

RJWaters2 posted:

The Beatles album Rubber Soul is a pun.
Rubber sole. Like a shoe.

Wait until you think about their LP Revolver.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Oh sunnovabitch

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Mister Mind posted:

Wait until you think about their LP Revolver.

:captainpop:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

I sucks when I read read as read and not read so I have to re-read read as read so I can read read correctly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I knew someone who didn’t get the joke on that.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I laugh every time someone on food network says “banh mi sandwiches”.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

I knew someone who didn’t get the joke on that.

That's not how you pronounce knew.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

nm

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"We can dress real neat from our hats to our feet and surprise them with the victory cry."
-Men Without Hats, "The Safety Dance"

Men Without Hats.

Without hats.

loving liars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Maybe they call their hair their "hat." Or it's a spoof meaning that they don't dress neat because they don't have hats so it's a false sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
That dance wasn't as safe as they promised either.