Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Come back with me to January 12, 2015.

ManxomeBromide posted:

GIVING UP FOR NOW: DROD RPG - Tendry's Tale. It's neat, but optimization puzzles of this scale require more energy than I've been able to spare lately.

BEATEN: DROD RPG - Tendry's Tale. :woop: Hadn't really been feeling the appeal of videogames lately, so I fired up something I'd previously brickwalled on, hoping that being systematic about it would let me not notice I wasn't enjoying myself, or at least let me get over the initial barrier I'd hit at the start of Part 2.

And it worked! Either time away from the game had sharpened my ability to focus on what mattered, or I mistook my initial lack of enjoyment of the opening of part 2 for my general videogame ennui, and it got to the point where it again became fantastic.

18 hours later and I've actually finished it, at least to the normal ending. There are two semi-obvious secret goals that are clearly bonus goals, but each requires you to not use a "crutch" strategy that makes the initial playthrough feasible. Even with the crutches, after all, it was 18 hours for about a dozen levels. I'm going to treat those two goals as the equivalent of mastery challenges.

ON DECK: Runner 3. An old pre-order comes due. I expect silliness and mindless fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Wuppo: My favorite thing about this game is how it makes you actually wait for a train to arrive, then the cleaning crew to do their thing, before allowing you onboard, even scolding you if you try to step inside too early. And then you actually sit through the whole train ride. Or that you legitimately have to stand in line to go on the rides in the amusement park. It's the kind of thing that could absolutely be criticized for wasting the player's time, but in Wuppo's whimsical, animated world it just works perfectly as a piece of the worldbuilding. It also ties into the good-natured feel of this really, really fun and charming game.

Dreamstones: A pretty fun block-breaker that's ultimately let down by two things. One is that some of its systems feel half-baked, where you can see the unrealized potential. For instance, you build up the kingdom over time by constructing various buildings, but these only contribute to your global score. The game misses an opportunity to tie them into an overall strategy layer, X-Com style. But the more important thing is that the design is riddled with little decisions that just edge it onto the wrong side of the challenging/frustrating divide. Unbreakable blocks up in your face, important blocks in unreachable locations, anemic bonuses (reduction in ability cooldown is nice... oh but it's 10% off a 3-minute cooldown? C'mon), etc. The ball also often goes into a loop, so you're hosed unless you happened to equip an ability that lets you break it somehow. The most bizarre thing is how you're penalized for pausing the game - do it three times in a level and lose a life. Apparently that's an anti-cheat measure. :confused: The developer doesn't seem too responsive to criticism either from what I've seen, mostly it's "I understand it's frustrating but it's part of the challenge". Fair enough for sticking to your guns I guess.

It's not a bad game. I spent a good ten hours beating it and am still going back to bonus levels and such, so it's doing something right. But it could've been much better. And frankly it's just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Complete: Hero of the Kingdom - ~4 hours to 100%, and perhaps an hour less to beat. Fun, simple game that is nice to chill out with. I beat the story in one sitting, returned later to mop up the 100%.

Nulled: The Swindle - Hitboxes feel too big to me, leading to overall frustration. The one-hit-kill aspect is a bit rough with the loose hitboxes. Combine that with a time limit, and I'm not really into it. I feel bad because someone gave it to me because they liked it so much, but it's just not for me.

'Beat': NBA Playgrounds
- Fun 2-on-2 NBA jam sort of game. There's an achievement for beating the first 6 tournaments, so that's what I'm calling done. Playing against the AI, every match feels the same, so I don't see a need to continue playing for completion's sake. It is definitely the most fun basketball game I've played in a while, and will be my go-to if I'm ever in the mood for basketball in the future.

Done with(for now): BATTLETECH - I have thoroughly enjoyed the ~50 hours I've played so far, but updates keep breaking my (modded) save. I don't feel like re-starting yet again, so I'm calling it quits for now until more content is out. I was never super into the story, and all missions, regardless of objective are very samey. There's no incentive to use anything other than the biggest mechs you've got, and just have them sit around taking pot shots at the AI which always greatly outnumbers you. I'll revisit it again when(if?) there are substantial additions to the game. I feel I've gotten my money's worth, and it'll be too frustrating to run through the same stuff I've already done.

On Deck: Hero of the Kingdom II - I enjoyed the first, don't see any reason not to plow right into the second.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: Runner3. This isn't everything completed, but right people are still hunting for the last of the ultra-secret collectibles, and most of the final achievements involve doing incredibly tedious things. I've played all the main levels and bonus levels and gotten the secret items it admits to having hidden and unlocked all the characters and done all the bonus levels. I can repeat levels to try to perfect them, or take on the ridiculous bonus challenges, and I might, eventually, but if I do that will involve going back to it later over the course of a month or two.

Which is pretty much my story for Runner2, come to think of it, so in that sense it's a good sequel. It's also a good sequel because it's got a good attitude about not wanting to repeat itself, though this means a lot of people are very angry about not getting Another Runner2. The new moves you get in this game make it feel much less like a rhythm game by default and more like a platformer that you have to speedrun. There are fewer, but longer, main levels. There are more, and more sophisticated, bonus levels. The aesthetic is wackier overall, sometimes to its detriment. But I had fun with it overall.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
My Origin Access mission took a turn through the Mass Effect franchise. I replayed the whole Shepard trilogy and played and beat Mass Effect: Andromeda which was a better game than I was led to believe, though a quite long one.

After that, I cranked through Battlefield 1 in a few play sessions. The campaign is fun and each of the five little sections don't overstay their welcome. It was much better than BF4 doing the dumbest things to justify gallivanting around the world. It's also quite a funny game in light of the people complaining about BFV killing historical accuracy, since they certainly jazzed history up a bit for BF1, but it was a much less irritating experience than BF4. Not bad at all for being bundled with my Access. What's up next may either be Titanfall 2 if I'm feeling another action campaign or Dragon Age: Inquisition (perhaps with a replay of 1 and 2?).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I posted here, looking back over my list of games from the last year, I've been pretty varied.

STILL KINDA PLAYING

Just Cause 3 - I loved Just Cause 2, so why am I still less than 25% complete on this? There's nothing wrong with it, it's prettier, there's more to do, movement is nicer and so on but I haven't really found time for it. I really should.

Tekken 7 - Love this, I've played Tekken since a friend brought Tekken 2 round to my house over 20 years ago and I immediately begged my parents for it. I'm never going to get good at it, I play too many other games and even within Tekken, I want to play as every character a bit. The singleplayer is lacking but I play online unless I'm practicing. It's endlessly complex and wonderfully simple at the same time, looks awesome and feels so impactful. The only game I've played much online since FIFA 14.

Rimworld - Best game ever. I had a good colony going when a new version dropped and all my mods broke. I misunderstood how they're stored so had to wave bye to that colony. Now I do, I have a massive list of mods to install when 1.0 comes out, then I'll pick this back up.

Assetto Corsa - The driving in Assetto Corsa is remarkable and I've spent some 60 hours just trying to push cars to their limit on the tracks in game and some incredible modded ones. If there were a more engaging career or online rankings I'd probably have quadruple the number of hours in this (I'm too flighty to commit to a league) so it's likely to remain a nearly game.

Football Manager 2015 - I'm still on with my game where I have a world-class youth academy but I'm not allowed to sign anyone. We had an insane end to our last season and somehow got promoted to the Premier League. We clearly don't belong there and are just getting muffed every week. It's a fun save but mustering the enthusiasm to play the current season is hard.

FTL: Faster Than Light - I played this for a month solid while my PC was out of action, it's still brilliant.

MOST LIKELY NULLED

Sorcery! - It's just not what I thought it would be. It seems to be a bunch of events strung together with no real thread running through them.

Stellaris - I was so excited for this. It was really interesting and fun until it really wasn't. It's just kind of an ordeal to play mid-game, so little happens, not even in a hilarious disaster way like your first CK2 and Rimworld games do.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - I hopped on the bandwagon for this and I'm worse at it than any game I've ever played. Not sure I have a enthusiasm to improve, either.

My Summer Car - Might get back into this as updates do intrigue me and it's good silly fun but there's no way I'm ever getting that car to work.

GRiD: Autosport - I enjoyed GRiD 1 and 2 but can't get into this. It's just a bit too arcadey, there's little feedback in the steering and I threw the towel in at an 'endurance' event which is short but your tyres start to fall apart after a lap, making it impossible to know how your car will react in the next turn.

ONGOING

Kerbal Space Program - Managed my first ever successful manned interplanetary mission before moving to the new version with vastly improved performance.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - I love driving like a dick in this and the ProMods map adds a million exciting places to go and do that. My margins are smaller than they could be thanks to all my speeding tickets. Just about made a profit on a job from Dublin to Kaliningrad, German police are everywhere! American Truck Simulator is tempting me for a change of pace, too, since it always seems to be on sale somewhere.

Crusader Kings 2 - Abandoned my Brittania game to go cheevo hunting. I hit random and started as the tiny tribal, pagan, independent state of Ilmen. I swallowed up my neighbours, reformed the Pagan faith, turned feudal and am desperately trying to switch from Gavelkind (the kingdom is split among your sons) to Primogeniture (first son inherits everything). Complicating everything is the fact that I put the Aztec invasion DLC on 'random' and they turned up in the middle of the 9th century and smashed everyone. They control Britain, Iberia, Germany and much of central Europe. They border me now and it's basically a matter of hoping they decide to conquer Italy, Scandinavia or Africa next instead of me. Every time they invide anywhere, the entirity of Europe band together to stop them and just get smacked down. I'm going for the 'And stay out!' achievement, which requires you to eliminate all Aztec territory and armies which could take some considerable time and likely some time as a scheming vassal. Game owns.

Cities: Skylines - Now I see the game as more of a bonsai tree you must make look pretty rather than an efficiency-focused building game, I'm enjoying it. I've made an interesting island map and have a list of things I want to make.

Gran Turismo - I wanted a few screenshots of a game that swallowed up large chunks of my time when I was 10. There are flowcharts out there that tell you how to make the optimal car choices and beat it with minimal fuss but to me, that's not the point of Gran Turismo. It's more about driving cool or weird cars and either winning with them or upgrading them until you can't not win. I'm rather proud of myself for getting all the golds in the B Licence and winning a super cool Dodge Copperhead (never actually produced irl) you can't actually buy for my trouble.

Prison Architect - I thought they were done in 2015 but they kept adding to this outstanding management sim so I'm doing one final big prison. Even when compared to v1.0 it seems more complex and likely to trip you up now, which I appreciate. Some prisoners in medium security can get a bit spicier than before and I've already had a workman killed by one making a break for it. I probably should have built the extension to my canteen before demolishing the existing wall. The early game feels odd when you're used to knowing everything about the mood of your prisoners and having all kinds of hi-tech stuff but the sense of progression is welcome.

Rogue System - This is a really interesting one. There's not a massive amount to it right now but it's got unlimited potential for people who like spaceflight. You control a spaceship and much like Kerbal, the orbital mechanics are true to life, you'll need to get used to knowing about things like periapsis and apoapsis but the difference maker is that it's like a flight sim, there are a million buttons in the cockpit to press, you need to go through things like warming up your reactors, communicating with space ATC and making sure that everything is set up correctly. I never expect anything more than what currently exists from Early Access games but with combat and an open-ended sandbox campaign planned, I can't help but get excited over what this could become.

BEAT

Firewatch - Very nearly torpedoed itself with some insane slowdown on scene changes but thankfully I figured out a fix and really enjoyed the game. Really engaging story and finding your way around the wilderness is a lot of fun if you turn off the marker that shows where you are, makes you pay attention to the scenery and come to know the area well.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided: System Rift - This is apparently the inferior of the two DLCs but I enjoyed it a lot, it was nice to see some high-quality snarking between Pritchard and Jensen and the gameplay was great, as always with Deus Ex. I still have A Criminal Past to play. It's a shame the IP seems to have fallen by the wayside with the half a story in the main game and only 2 DLC stories, I think a lot of games with interesting settings lend themselves well to the short 'stories' model of DLC. Dishonored does it really well.

Tacoma
- Short but well-told drama in space, you view all of the different perspectives by playing back hologramatic recordings of the crew. I was engaged by the story the whole way through and ended up really caring about the characters.

Tomb Raider Mod: Hanami in Kyoto - I love the TRLE mods. Tomb Raider 2 is one of the games I'm most nostalgic over and seeing this site with a huge backlog of quality mods in the same vein is great.

Bennett Foddy's Getting Over It - I fell a lot. I growled, swore, cursed Bennett's quotes and music a thousand times but I did enjoy the sense of accomplishment I got from each small victory in the relentlessly fair but infuriating game. I'll forever be able to say that I Got Over It.

Prey - Excellent game, I probably can't say much about that hasn't been said already, but it doesn't look out of place among games like Deus Ex and Dishonored that it shares a lot of its DNA with. I hobbled myself a bit by shunning alien biomods which kept me scrabbling around for ammo throughout the game, but there was also enough depth in the human tech tree that I wasn't hoarding neuromods. You can tell this isn't quite a AAA game (maybe AA?) in that there aren't many other humans and your interactions with them are stilted. Also there's a robot enemy type that feels a bit shoehorned in like they wanted to have human enemies come in for the last act but didn't have the time or money to do it well. In any case I'm a big advocate of mid-budget titles that can be a bit different at the cost of a bit of polish and Prey succeeds wildly on that front.

Katamari Damacy - I'd heard about this vaguely a few years ago and it came up when looking at PS2 classics. The premise is so simple; you control a 'Katamari' and anything much smaller than yourself will stick to you, so you get bigger and can roll up bigger things. It's so satisfying when people who gave you a kick 5 minutes ago when you were composed mostly of bananas run screaming when you're a horrifying bundle of furniture, livestock and buildings. I beat the main game and will be picking up We Love Katamari.

Inside - I'm not really one for 2D side-scrollers but this got such rave reviews that I had to pick it up when it was on sale. It wasn't overly long or difficult but it certainly left an impression. It's a beautiful game, the animations, art and music are all spot on and that ending :stare:. I'm trying to chivvy along my dad into finishing it so I can get his thoughts on the ending and what the game was, like, really about, man.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Well, I have officially gotten my list down to one game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. As much as everyone has talked up this game I wanted to play it last (every other game afterwards will be crap, right?), so I'll probably start this after my vacation next week.

I've already started learning what I need to pickup some sim hobby games. Feels good to be at the end of my list!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

InevitableCheese posted:

Well, I have officially gotten my list down to one game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. As much as everyone has talked up this game I wanted to play it last (every other game afterwards will be crap, right?), so I'll probably start this after my vacation next week.

I've already started learning what I need to pickup some sim hobby games. Feels good to be at the end of my list!

Holy cow, congrats dude! Enjoy your reward of Witcher!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Chief Savage Man posted:

What's up next may either be Titanfall 2 if I'm feeling another action campaign or Dragon Age: Inquisition (perhaps with a replay of 1 and 2?).

Titanfall 2, now!

It's the first thing you should've done when you got Origin Access!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another month gone, another month of games beaten:

#53: The Last of Us Remastered (10 hours) - This was just eh. I actually don't think it was a very good game. The stealth is awful, the guns feel awful, every character other than Ellie is awful, and the story is (intentionally) dissatisfying.
#54: Kamiko (1 hour)
#55: Prey (16 hours) - The ending may have been dumb, but wow what a game. What a great game!!
#56: Gravity Rush Remastered (8 hours) - Interesting, flawed game. I'm curious to see how the sequel improves on it.
#57: Splatoon 2 SP (5-6 hours) - A lot like Splatoon 1 SP but with a few more design wrinkles to the levels.
#58: Yakuza Kiwami (18 hours) - What a fun fun game! My first Yakuza game and I picked a good one to start with. Majima Anywhere was a great concept.
#59: DuckTales (1 hour) - The original NES game! Yeah I'm going through the Disney Afternoon Collection now.
#60: Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers (1 hour) - There's really not a whole lot to this game, it's pretty bare bones and just a simple sidescroller. I do like the idea of throwing balls at bosses though.
#61: Tailspin (1 hour) - Okay this one is loving weeeeeeird. A shmup where you have to upgrade twice to have the ability to rapid fire, where you can shoot diagonally (and sometimes have to against bosses), and you can turn around LITERALLY by flying upsidedown.
#62: Darkwing Duck (1.5 hour) - Basically reskinned Mega Man.
#63: The Sexy Brutale (5 hours) - Really cool time-loop murder prevention game. Reminded me of Ghost Trick a little, but without the possession aspect.
#64: Cursed Castilla (2.5 hours) - Ghosts & Goblins style game, originally a free game by Locomalito but remastered for Steam with additional fixins.
#65: DuckTales 2 (1 hour) - More of the same but looks nicer.
#66: Chip & Dale 2 (.5 hour) - See above.
#67: Implosion (6 hours) - Splashy top down action game... a bit low budget so the mechanics are not very deep, but it was enjoyable enough for a bedtime Switch game.
#68: Dishonored 2 (13-15hrs) - I'll need to think more about whether the first or second game is superior. I think the second game is very good, and has interesting setpieces, although the mission design isn't QUITE as strong.
#69(nice): Fallout 4 (20 hrs) - An extremely 'more of the same' Fallout with dumbed down dialog and paths. Very few vaults

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat: Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King - This is a great not-Zelda game. If you want a game that scratches your A Link to the Past itch, this one will do it. I throughly enjoyed myself playing this game even if the boomerang is a little overpowered. My one complaint is that they didn't take the "grandpa telling a story to his kids" aspect far enough. It was used pretty uniquely two times, but that was it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: The Crew

Got this when Ubisoft was giving it away last Christmas and hadn't really thought much about it until my randomiser app told me to play it. Given its middling review scores and generally pretty bad reputation I figured I'd do a few races, get an idea of the game and then move on. But, completely unexpectedly, it's turned out to be my favourite racing game in ages. The USP is that the game map is a shrunken (but still enormous) representation of the whole US, so you can seamlessly race from New York to LA if you want to.

Turns out that pretty much did it for me - the best times I had with the game was disabling the HUD, putting on some chilled out dance music, sparking up and aimlessly cruising for hours. It's seriously impressive the way the map shifts between blasted desert to muddy swamp to icy mountains to skyscrapers without the joins being visible. The very last thing I did was spending 2 hours racing from the California/Mexico border to Niagara Falls soundtracked to Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works and it was glorious.

I also beat the story missions (cheesy and cliche but not in an annoying way) and dug the handling, which is somewhere between Burnout and Project Gotham (so pretty arcade-y). The only real fly in the ointment is the game needing to be online as I guess it's supposed to be a MMORPG? I think I saw one other player the whole time I was cruising around though, so it was pretty much a single-player game as far as I was concerned. If you happen to have it definitely give it a spin, if only to drive around for an hour or two admiring the map.

Bonus points for having a great photo mode.

BEATEN: Beyond: Two Souls (PS4)

David Cage at his most indulgent. What a hack... It's a story about a psychic Ellen Page with a pet poltergeist who's being studied by Willem Dafoe. It's told with a mixed chronology, so one minute you're a little girl playing with toys, the next you're undergoing CIA training, the next you're being raped in a bar as a teenager, then you're preparing for a date. This makes an already ropey story make almost no sense, as well as completely ruining the idea that my actions have consequences. The vast majority of the game is spent watching badly written cutscenes that you have very minor control over. There's a bunch of surface similarities to Life is Strange (female protagonist with supernatural powers, domestic settings, player makes choices), but LiS accomplished 10x more than this with a tenth of the budget.

All that said, in typical David Cage fashion the plot goes completely off the rails in the last act and it gets bizarre enough to be enjoyable. Ellen Page dressed up like Big Boss assassinating the Prime Minister of Somalia! Ellen Page commandeering a Chinese mini-submarine and infiltrating an underwater base! Willem Dafoe experimenting on the screaming, tortured ghosts of his dead family! I think this was given away free on PS Plus to hype up Detroit: Become Human, but it did the complete opposite for me and totally put me off going anywhere near another Cage game.

BEATEN: God of War (PS2)

I really want to play the new God of War, but I'm on a self-imposed 'no buying games until I clear my backlog a bit' rule. So I figured I'd get up to speed by finally playing through the series (the only one I'd previously played was Chains of Olympus on the PSP). Despite its age it's still a fun, competent character action game - albeit without the precision, challenge and depth you get from Platinum Games titles. Still, the narrative was neat in that Kratos is an unambiguous monster and he goes through a kind of pop-Greek Tragedy as the game goes on. Also the graphics are dated, but not so much that you notice it very often.

I was a bit disappointed that there were only a few bosses though. I thought the cool opening Hydra fight would be the norm, but that's only one of maybe three proper boss fights in the game. Also there's a late game bit involving revolving pillars with swords on them that nearly drove me insane.

Going to play God of War 2 this month, then God of War 3 in July. I could also pick up Ascension but I've heard its more of the same and not that great. Opinions?

BEATEN: Murdered: Soul Suspect

Another one chucked up by the randomiser. Went into it with zero expectations, but the high concept really quickly won me over. You play a hardened criminal turned police detective who is also a ghost and must solve his own murder using ghost superpowers. Even though the main character kinda looks like he should be playing trumpet in a ska band, his very Harrison Ford-y voice acting makes him easy to like. Though his story is actually pretty neat you don't really do that much detective work in the game, it's more scanning the environment for clues and then activating the next cutscene. There are also bonus ghost stories when you complete a series of collectables, and the fact that I cared enough get them all must mean that something's working well.

A pretty fun way to spend 7 hours or so. It gets a bit rushed towards the end, but it's easy to forgive because I read the devs ran out of money, completed the game on a skeleton staff and promptly went out of business. Pity, because there's a lot to like here.

BEATEN: Transistor

Ultra-stylish action/tactical RPG game with a killer aesthetic and soundtrack. Has a neat mercurial vibe where you can switch between real-time and turn-based to take out groups of enemies, which you do by combining various programmes to get new effects. So if you've got machine-gun like power you can modify it with, say, homing missiles, to create a homing machine gun. You can double-modify the weapons to make some really overpowered game-breaking combos, but the game being pretty easy isn't so bad when it looks and sounds this nice. The plot is pretty minimalist, but my interpretation is that the whole thing takes place inside some sort of futuristic computer and the characters are programmes escaping deletion. No idea if that's right, but everything seemed to make sense through that lens.

BEATEN: Long Live The Queen

Ultra-anime princess maker type game where you have to help a teenage girl reach her coronation. You choose what classes she takes, which gives her skills and molds her personality, as well as making key decisions (which are subject to skill-checks). Probably takes about an hour to run through, but I managed to get my princess skewered, drowned, crushed, poisoned, strangled by a demon and shot with an arrow before I got the hang of things. Eventually managed to get her on the throne, via a magical girl duel that eventually hinged on my latent talent for cake decoration. It's just self-aware enough to not be insanely creepy and I had fun with it, though I probably wouldn't want to be caught playing it.

BEATEN: Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

Has always lived in the shadow of Marvel vs Capcom 2, but I think this has a lot going for it. It's marginally less chaotic than MvC2, the 2D backgrounds are awesome, each character has an ending and it's just nice to see the CPS-2 hardware getting pushed to the max. I'm just a fan of the whole late 90s 'Vs' aesthetic, complete with the hyped up attract sequences, over-excited announcers and kickass sprite-work and special effects. Onslaught is a bit of a pain in the rear end if you're playing a character without a beam-based supermove, but once you get the hang of fighting him he's not so hard to beat. Completed it with all characters (including secret ones) and though some of the endings were low-effort, some are brill (Morrigan starts up a game of Puzzle Fighter). Heading to MvC2 next, which doesn't have individual endings, so I'm going to have to train my friends how to play it. Should be interesting...

NULLED: LSD: Dream Emulator (PSOne)

Right, so I got sent Osamu Sato's kickass 2017 album All Things Must Be Equal a while back. That led me down the rabbit hole to Sato's 1998 Japan-only PSOne title LSD: Dream Simulator. From what I've read this is an attempt to turn ten years of his dream diary into an interactive experience, which essentially involves wandering through surreal landscapes populated by weirdly animated beings and soundtracked by what I think is procedurally generated DnB. The fact that it's all super lo-fi 3D graphics, even by PSOne standards only makes it more involving. LSD is actually insanely awesome as a kind of interactive party exhibit, whatever you do in the game has some kind of trippy effect and if even nobody is doing anything it starts playing cool 90s arthouse FMVs.

I tested this by leaving it set up on the Steam Link during a get together last weekend and came upstairs to find a bunch of people glued to the screen wondering what the gently caress this crazy thing was. So I think it's largely achieved its goals as being an incredibly weird gaming experience. I mark it nulled only because I've researched if the game actually has an ending - it does - but only after 365 'nights' in the game. Given that a night is 10-15 minutes long I think achieving this will break my brain, but I think I've gotten the full experience out of it.

NULLED: Frozen Hearth

Chucked up by the randomiser and came with multiple red flags. No longer has a Steam store page. Refuses to launch when clicking play. Fiddling with settings tends to hard lock Windows. Eventually got it working (it will only play in a specifically sized window :rolleye:) to find an ugly, bog-standard and unreasonably difficult MOBA/RTS hybrid that's trying its best to rip off Game of Thrones. Couldn't get the thing off my hard drive quick enough.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 6, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I love reading your summaries.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

As an update to the MvC post I've just spent the last hour teaching my housemates how to play MvC2. They're pretty fast learners! The main hurdle has been getting them to do QCF+P punch moves, but I think they're getting it. Plus they dig the smooth jazz soundtrack.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 6, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

God of War 1-3 are good, you don't really need to play anything else in the old series. The PSP games are actually pretty good (I also recommend the Killzone PSP game which is an isometric shooter). Haven't played Ascension.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What randomizer do you use? Becoming tempted to start using one as I approach 3k on Steam alone.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

glad she is dead posted:

NULLED: LSD: Dream Emulator (PSOne)

I mark it nulled only because I've researched if the game actually has an ending - it does - but only after 365 'nights' in the game. Given that a night is 10-15 minutes long I think achieving this will break my brain, but I think I've gotten the full experience out of it.

Well the math on that is 91.25 hours, so I think you made the right decision.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

What randomizer do you use? Becoming tempted to start using one as I approach 3k on Steam alone.

I don't think my randomising method is going to work for everyone, but here it is. So, I've got every game I own added to my Steam library (even console only games are in as blank Notepad files). From that, I took a series of screengrabs of the library, one grab per page. Then I cropped those images down to just the bar of game titles. I fed those images into a jpg to text analysis site and copied the resulting list into a .txt file called Unplayed Games. Now when I want to pick a game to play I just c&p that list into https://www.random.org/lists/ and boom I've got a game.

Tbh I'd just use one of the wheel of fortune thingys that come up when you google Steam randomiser.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Well the math on that is 91.25 hours, so I think you made the right decision.

Here's what 90 hours of trippy dreamscape nightmares would get me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDji5zhu1nc

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 6, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well, I asked 'cause I've got a lot of stuff lurking on GOG and even Origin and Uplay now, but I guess no matter what there's not really an easy way to get all of those onto a single list without employing some kind of manual process.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Well, I asked 'cause I've got a lot of stuff lurking on GOG and even Origin and Uplay now, but I guess no matter what there's not really an easy way to get all of those onto a single list without employing some kind of manual process.

Yeah me too, but annoyingly there's no way of getting a full list of digital games you own without a bit of legwork. It doesn't take too long if you set your mind to it though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I think i am losing the plot,

My steam library is growing at an accelerated pace.
I only play a small handful of games but am trying to play to completion.

#1 Skyrim - almost done, just the side quests left
#2 Splintercell Blacklist - Trying to get up in the leaderboards one level i am in the top 2k in the world.
#3 Diablo 3 - the grind is real
#4 World of Warcraft - see #3
#5 Fortnite - Save the World - So much fun....

but added to my steam library.......

Beat Saber - a must play and sooooo adictive
Heart of the emberstone: coliseum
Scanner Sombre
Dead Rising 4
Kerbal Space Program
Ruiner
Running with rifles
Moon Hunters
Crazy machines 3
Jalopy
Knight club
Destiny 2
Styx:shards of darkness
Yooka-Laylee
cook,serve,Delicious 2!!
Ken Follet's the pillars of the earth
Bear with me
Acceleration of Suguri 2
Subserial Network
Hearts of iron IV
Blackwake
Portal Knights

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

get Factorio and cry as you'll never play anything else ever again.

Until it starts haunting your dreams, then's the time to stop cold turkey.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

double nine posted:

get Factorio and cry as you'll never play anything else ever again.

Until it starts haunting your dreams, then's the time to stop cold turkey.

I have factorio and Rimworld

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Scanner Sombre
Subserial Network

Focus on these two to quickly knock 'em off of your list. They're both incredibly short and neat.

I'm afraid a lot of the games on your list are massive timesinks, though, so... well, play what's fun and don't worry about it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TheresaJayne posted:

I have factorio and Rimworld

oh god ...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/id/theresajayne/games/?tab=all

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Superhot is also short and good, play it to knock it off the list!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

glad she is dead posted:

BEATEN: The Crew

Got this when Ubisoft was giving it away last Christmas and hadn't really thought much about it until my randomiser app told me to play it. Given its middling review scores and generally pretty bad reputation I figured I'd do a few races, get an idea of the game and then move on. But, completely unexpectedly, it's turned out to be my favourite racing game in ages. The USP is that the game map is a shrunken (but still enormous) representation of the whole US, so you can seamlessly race from New York to LA if you want to.

Turns out that pretty much did it for me - the best times I had with the game was disabling the HUD, putting on some chilled out dance music, sparking up and aimlessly cruising for hours. It's seriously impressive the way the map shifts between blasted desert to muddy swamp to icy mountains to skyscrapers without the joins being visible. The very last thing I did was spending 2 hours racing from the California/Mexico border to Niagara Falls soundtracked to Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works and it was glorious.

I also beat the story missions (cheesy and cliche but not in an annoying way) and dug the handling, which is somewhere between Burnout and Project Gotham (so pretty arcade-y). The only real fly in the ointment is the game needing to be online as I guess it's supposed to be a MMORPG? I think I saw one other player the whole time I was cruising around though, so it was pretty much a single-player game as far as I was concerned. If you happen to have it definitely give it a spin, if only to drive around for an hour or two admiring the map.

Bonus points for having a great photo mode.

Hey, this post got me to install the Crew and hey-o, it's the replacement to Burnout Paradise I've been looking for, in that it has a big open world to explore and I can collect cars.

It's not going to top Burnout Paradise, alas, but who cares: I get to have fun driving. :D

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, this post got me to install the Crew and hey-o, it's the replacement to Burnout Paradise I've been looking for, in that it has a big open world to explore and I can collect cars.

It's not going to top Burnout Paradise, alas, but who cares: I get to have fun driving. :D

There's also a uplay Crew 2 beta you can sign up to now that goes live on the 21st for a couple of days. It's a bit of a downer that it's the US again and not Europe, but I'm going to get it just to cruise around the map with shinier graphics.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

glad she is dead posted:

There's also a uplay Crew 2 beta you can sign up to now that goes live on the 21st for a couple of days. It's a bit of a downer that it's the US again and not Europe, but I'm going to get it just to cruise around the map with shinier graphics.

Between the Division and the Crew, ubisoft is killing it for me lately. I mean, it's hell on my backlog, but hell - as long as I'm playing the games I own and having fun, I'm making progress.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Ya same I love those mini reviews/opinion he does.

al-azad posted:

God of War 1-3 are good, you don't really need to play anything else in the old series. The PSP games are actually pretty good (I also recommend the Killzone PSP game which is an isometric shooter). Haven't played Ascension.

Yes I highly HIGHLY recommend the main trilogy. I know everyone likes to poo poo on them now that the new GoW is out but I actually liked the old one because of the amazing boss fights. The new one doesn't have as many nor as epic but has a way better story.

The ares final boss fight in GoW1 is one of my favorites and the final boss fight of GoW3 is so loving epic. Too bad it seems to be cool to poo poo on those games now with the new GoW and how Kratos was a garbage character.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

PLAYED: Kingsway. I picked this up out of Windows 95 nostalgia, and I didn't like it much. Outside of the aesthetic, it was just a generic RPG / Roguelite sort of thing.

COMPLETED: Strategic Command I: European Theatre. A 2002 vintage WWII strategy game, and it shows its age. One of the biggest problems in the game is that the research system is almost entirely RNG based; I got very lucky with research, and the Germans invented jet fighters just in time for the aerial Battle of Britain in June 1940. That was fun, but it's far from balanced. If the RNG had gone the other way, I could have been stuck using biplanes as late as 1945. Another major annoyance was how slow turn processing can be when there's a lot of special events happening, because it slowly shows you the events one by one and there's no way to speed it up. The interface is a bit of a pain too. Despite its flaws, I loved this game so much that I bought the sequel the minute I finished my campaign, but because of the jank I can't recommend it to anyone without a huge asterisk and several pages of qualifying statements.

COMPLETED: Mind Snares: Alice's Journey. An Artifex Mundi Hidden Object Game(tm). This one is poorly written, and is the first AM game I've encountered with a noticeable bug. You need to finish it in one sitting, because the game will fail to render any graphics the second time you run it. Avoid.

"COMPLETED": Indivisible Backer Preview. This is the first backer demo; I played it in May, before they released a second version. On the whole, I enjoyed it, although the KB+M controls needed a bit of work. One last point is that I'm seriously unsure as to whether the combat system will work in the full game. It was getting a little annoying by the end of the demo, so who knows how it'll feel after 20+ hours in the full game.

COMPLETED: Ace Patrol. A light strategy game about WWI aircraft. I liked it for my first campaign, but when I tried to start a new one it became apparent just how repetitive it was. Fun for a few hours, but it runs short on actual content. Pick it up cheap in a sale or something.

COMPLETED: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. I finished this twice. The first game was a kill-em-all run on Veteran, and the second was a recruit-em-all run on Casual. I kinda hate this game, given how frustrating it is to play, what with the knockback into instant-death pits, the air-dropped frogs, the insta-kill paintings... I don't know what it says about this game that it made me rage so hard, and yet I still finished it twice and am seriously considering reinstalling it for another go.

COMPLETED: Order of Battle: WWII. A Panzer General-style hex-based wargame. It makes a number of additions to the old formula: torpedoes are now a thing to manage instead of being abstracted away, logistics are a thing you have to consider, proper airfield / carrier mechanics, and more. I only played the tutorial campaign, but I liked it a lot. I plan to reinstall it and play one of the real campaigns at some point.

Next up: I've got two games installed right now: Sword Coast Legends and Unreal I. I'm honestly not too eager to play either of them, but I'll give them a try and see how they go.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EightDeer posted:

Next up: I've got two games installed right now: Sword Coast Legends and Unreal I. I'm honestly not too eager to play either of them, but I'll give them a try and see how they go.

Judging from your tastes, I have to ask - have you played Unity of Command?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Judging from your tastes, I have to ask - have you played Unity of Command?

I have not. All I know about UoC is that it's a hex based wargame with better than average AI and a rather detailed set of mechanics regarding logistics / supply.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EightDeer posted:

I have not. All I know about UoC is that it's a hex based wargame with better than average AI and a rather detailed set of mechanics regarding logistics / supply.

Yup, and it's good! If you get a chance, give it a go - I think you'll have fun with it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

InevitableCheese posted:

Got a response from one of the guys who made GaugePowered. They said they are planning to shut it down and release the code publicly, so anyone who wants to build on it can.

Edit:

Here's a link to the source code, if anyone is interested:

Source Code for Gauge Powered

I'll start playing around with it myself.

Have you done anything with the source?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Even though there is a sale going on right now, some of us still find time to, you know, play games *gasp*

Nulled: Boss Defiance
Local multiplayer only game, so that's a straight up null for me.

Finished: Dark Romance: Vampire in Love
An older HOG with a good amount of HO scenes and way to many "shift these wheels to match numbers/colors/dentist plans".
The theme was fun and I killed my vampire lover at the end, because no way did I want to be turned into an undead.

Finished: GRAVEN: The Purple Moon Prophecy
Another standard HOG

Nulled: Magic Pixel Picross
A port of a mobile/touch device game, which also means lovely controls. There are plenty of good Picross games to play instead of this one.

Nulled: MANOS
The game version of extremely lovely movie, Manos: The Hand of Fate, is extremely lovely.

Finished: Mass Effect 3 + DLCs
I finally got around to play the final chapter of this epic scifi game, and boy did it not age well.
Really bad sound design made everything feel empty. GFX looked like something from early 2012 (oh wait), and considering the big change from ME1 to ME2 in RPG-ness, ME3 didn't get any better for sure.
Positive things: Some of the DLC missions were fun, like The Citadel. Not having to scan for minerals was positive. I actually enjoyed the ending of the story and the game, but I also played the extended version. I always enjoy when a game doesn't end with a boss battle that suddenly introduces all kinds of new tricks just to annoy the play and stretch play time a few extra hours.

Nulled: Paganitzu
It's an old 3D Realms game, is why it was nulled.

Finished: Time Trap - Hidden Objects
A HOG

Nulled: You Must Build A Boat
I enjoyed 10,000,000 and finished it as well, but this one is just too tough for me. Don't know if my reaction time is just so much slower or what it is, but I got my my rear end kicked all the time and really had a hard time progressing.
It then became a grind to earn money, power, brains(?) to level up a tiny bit all the time, so in the end I just said gently caress it and rage-uininstalled (yes, it's a thing)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: For Honor

Ubisoft is rightly criticised for its cookie-cutter open-world titles, feature bloat and bad writing, but at least it still takes the occasional chance on an untested concept even if it doesn't quite stick the landing. For Honor is essentially a medieval fighting game reimagined from the ground up, a simple to understand but difficult to master mix of defensive stances, well-timed parries, character-specific special moves and cool-headed strategy. Anyhows, I'd overlooked this due to the mixed reviews at launch but they were giving away the starter edition after E3 to promote their new expansion so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

And hey, what do you know, despite it being one of those games where the sequel clearly is going to refine the concept a bit more, it's a load of fun. I spent most of my time in the one on one duel mode, which has a purity and focus lacking from the battle modes. I realised pretty early on that the player who keeps a cool head comes out on top - and it genuinely feels neat blocking a long series of attacks from an online opponent before parrying their final blow and laying into them while their stamina bar is depleted. I didn't feel that I got genuinely good, but skills from more traditional fighting games (parrying timing and baiting your opponent into making mistakes) transferred over, as did a kinda Souls-esque environmental and stamina awareness.

I also cleared the story mode, which is one of those ropey affairs that repurpose multiplayer maps and spin a loose narrative around them. To its credit, you get to explore a bunch of neat environments and learn the mechanics of each character for use in multiplayer. But the actual story is a lazy bunch of garbage - not exactly helped by the fact that the characters spend 95% of the campaign in full helmets, making it seem more like a story about animated suits of armour than people. It's not as if they don't have faces either - the odd cutscene shows them off - but I guess sticking with helmets cuts down the budget for facial animation.

So yeah, it's fun and there's easily enough content in the starter pack to elevate it beyond a demo with monetised hooks. I'll keep an eye out for For Honor 2 as this is a neat first draft.

BEATEN: God of War 2 (PS2)

Speaking of sequels improving on the original, God of War 2 feels like the perfect example of a dev team correctly analysing what they got wrong in God of War and solving it in the sequel. The scale is way bigger, the bosses are nastier, the locations are prettier and the exploration/combat/puzzle rhythm is Nintendo-smooth. I also like how they leaned into making Kratos an irredeemably angry rear end in a top hat: after playing a bunch of games recently where the player character is inadvertently terrible (hi Aiden) it's neat to get someone who is just straightforwardly, unapologetically monstrous and incredibly forward driven. He's weirdly charismatic for a guy who doesn't do much other than scream furiously and dismember things.

I also dug the more subtle environment storytelling where you realise that Kratos' continuing extermination of Greek Gods and mythological figures is clearing the way for Judeo-Christian gods to show up (you get a bunch of Nativity imagery towards the end). If you think of him as a vessel for Old Testament fury, Kratos kind of makes sense. Anyhows, I've got the PS4 remaster of God of War III downloaded so I'll get to that soon. I'm thinking I might actually play Ascension after all (possibly on PS Now if it works alright), assuming I'm not getting a bit bored of hacking and slashing after the next game.

BEATEN: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

It's a beautiful game, both conceptually and visually, but an ultimately hollow experience. I really dug the creepily realistic Shropshire village - created in fetishistic detail for the English countryside and it throws up beautifully composed and lit dioramas at a rate of about one a minute (my screenshot button got a heavy work out). But a couple of things really drag it down: firstly the movement speed is like wading through loving treacle, even with the 'run' (more of an amble) button that hilariously apparently wasn't documented at launch. I get that this is a game about slowing down and appreciating the scenery, but knowing that it'll take ages to get anywhere put me off exploring as I didn't want to spend a couple of minutes crossing a field to find out there was nothing of note in the building on the other side.

But worse than that is the dippy cod-philosophical narrative, which feels like an episode of the Archers with delusions of grandeur. It's not that the basic concept is that bad, but it's a story told through dull characters that you only ever encounter as vaguely person-shaped energy clouds. I get that this saves on animation and letting your imagination do the heavy-lifting preserves the verisimilitude it works so hard to achieve in the environment but... well, it's difficult to empathise or care that much about vaguely person-shaped energy clouds, especially when they're spouting iffy dialogue. Also, it is actually quite difficult to tell vaguely person-shaped energy clouds apart when their voice-actors all sound a bit samey. By the time the game wound up I couldn't wait for it be over.

BEATEN: The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit

Adored Life is Strange and Before the Storm, so was very hyped up for this. It's a great little slice of what's to come in Life is Strange 2, but man it's depressing as hell. Basically, you play a neglected 9-year-old who turns looking after his alcoholic dad into an imaginative superhero adventure. Looming over the whole thing is both father and son failing to deal with the mother's tragic death. It's pretty rough stuff at times but has Life is Strange's signature emotional texture and complexity all over it. I could have done with it being a little longer, but hey, I'm not going to turn my nose up at a free demo.

BEATEN: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China

Tossed up by the randomiser (well, ACC: India was, but I figured I should play this first). It's a competent stab at doing a 2D Assassin's Creed but doesn't excel in any single area. The plot is meh, the stealth is workable but a bit clunky due to overlong animation transitions and the level design is repetitive. I kind of liked the ink wash painting style where blood splashes out of people and 'stains' the paper scenery, but aside from that, it was a pretty forgettable experience.

BEATEN: DiRT 3

Whipping a car around a forest at breakneck speed with a rock-solid physics engine is insanely fun. This is the first DiRT game I've played (I think I got this for free from Humble Bundle?) but I'll definitely be checking out the other entries in the series. The handling of the cars just feels right - with my favourite moment when you drift on a loose dirt road onto tarmac and feel the tyres suddenly grip as you accelerate. The only fly in the ointment was an insanely annoying dudebro announcer that won't shut up about YouTube after races, but someone in the PYF Things Dragging This Game Down thread told me how to disable his audio, and it was all fun times from there on out.

BEATEN: Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS3 and Arcade)

MvC2 is one of my favorite fighting games of all time. I love the chaos, I love the incredible variety of characters, the depth, the smooth jazz soundtrack and the whole celebratory anything-goes vibe of the game. Unfortunately, I'm seriously caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to finding people to play against. Single-player is almost non-existent in the game, so my first tactic was to try and train my friends in how to play it. That went okay, but I had to keep intentionally losing in order to keep them motivated and they just didn't put up a satisfying challenge - it's just a genuinely intimidating game to parse if you're not familiar with Street Fighter basics.

My next tactic was to find an actual cabinet and challenge someone in an arcade. So I hopped on the train to one of London's remaining arcades where I found a machine and had a couple of matches going against the residents. I got loving pummelled! I couldn't do anything and got repeatedly infinite comboed into oblivion.

It was impressive to be beaten that badly, but not exactly enjoyable. So it seems like I'm in some limbo where I'm too good for my friends and too poo poo for the arcade. Oh well.

BEATEN: The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Arcade)

Following the MvC2 debacle, I hid out in a Lost World sit down cabinet and cleared the game, which cost me a big pile of £1 coins but cheered me up no end. It's a top-tier Sega shooter and it's a crying shame it never got a home port. Sure the graphics are a bit dated (though I like the chunky Model 3 models and bright palette) but the sound remains incredible, especially in one of the big cabinets. I also enjoy the bit where a dinosaur is taking a poo poo and you have to shoot its rear end in a top hat before it craps all over your car. Really captures that intangible Jurassic Park experience.

BEATEN: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Lots of happy memories of this game from clearing it in the 90s and I reckon it still holds up today. At the very least it's up there with Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island as real top-tier 16-bit platformers. You can tell how hard Sonic Team were trying here, with every Act having its own boss, the transitions between Acts and Zones, the various shields, the four types of special stages, the various Super and Hyper forms of the characters. Plus this time when I was reading up about the games I found that the Ice Cap Zone theme is based on a really cool 80s song by The Jetzons. That's turned me onto that band, who are awesome. I can imagine myself playing this roughly every 10 years for the rest of my life.

BEATEN: Grow Home

Another example of Ubisoft giving a weird low-budget concept a chance. This is a supremely chilled out physics based climbing game/platformer in which you tend to a space plant as it spirals into the sky towards your ship. There's not really any enemies except gravity, and the game constantly encourages you to mess about and explore. Feels very honest, open and sincere about its ambitions and it's all the better for it.

NULLED: Tormentor ❌ Punisher

I am going to enjoy any game that begins a round with someone screaming "LET'S loving DO THIS!" and in which you reload your rifle by firing your shotgun. The game itself is a bonkers 2D top-down arena shooter in which you deal with increasingly aggressive waves of enemies that kill you in one hit. It's kind of like someone crossed Devil Daggers with Hotline Miami and just has a really compelling "one more go" addictive feel to it. Plus, while it initially feels a bit simplistic there's actually a surprising amount of depth, for example you can upgrade your gun by fulfilling certain criteria and there are various environmental tricks you can pull off to maximise the carnage.

It's nulled because I am probably not going to be able to get good enough to 'beat it', which I gather from the trophies involved killing all nine bosses on one life. The most I've made it through is three, and that felt mainly through luck. It's a great little game though.

NULLED: Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete

Man, I tried, I really tried. I'm a twitch-based action gamer at heart, but when my randomiser tossed this up I really wanted to finally understand why people get so addicted to it. So I printed out and read the manual, I watched and played along with tutorials on Youtube, I did my best to understand what was going on - but in the end the whole thing left me cold. I appreciate the strategic complexity and the amount of gears turning behind the scenes to simulate all that it does, plus the historical trivia is very cool, but I simply didn't actually enjoy any part of actually playing it. Maybe one day I'll find the slow-paced strategy game that appeals to me, but this wasn't it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Civ 3 is generally regarded as the weakest one, although tbh the worst civ is always the current one before a slew of expansions turns it into the bet one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

closing out this page with a June summary!

JUNE:
#70: Observer (5-6 hours)
- Mostly okay game from the makers of the not very good Layers of Fear. The detective stuff was fun. The trippy sequences were bog standard.
#71: LEGO City Undercover (15 hours) - I wish this was better.... bleh.
#72: Samus Returns (8 hours) - gently caress yeah. Third best 2D Metroid behind Super Metroid and Zero Mission.
#73: Tom Clancy's The Division (25 hours) - Ugh... gently caress lootgrind games, and especially gently caress playing them solo.
#74: Snipperclips (2 hours) - This on the other hand I played co-op with my roommate and had a blast!
#75: Sonic Mania (3 hours) - It's soooo good but I wish the co-op was better than "bye Tails". Split screen that poo poo!!
#76: Uncharted 4 (10 hours) - What a blast! Just the thing I needed after my soul-sucking experience with The Division.
#77: Theatrhythm (5 hours) - Cute little music game. This wasn't Curtain Call so the 'campaign' as it were is pretty limited.
#78: Destiny (8 hours) - Now this was a fun game and didn't punish me for being underleveled. Once I did the campaign, however, I deleted it (70 gigs!!!)
#79: Moon Hunters (1 hour) - Roguelite game, beat it, dont care about beating it further times.
#80: Splasher (5 hours) - Platformer by the designer of Rayman Legends, with very similar game DNA. Very excellent.
#81: Torin's Passage (4 hours) - lol what a stupid game, gently caress you Sierra
#82: D the Game (2 hours) - FMV game from the 3DO by the late Kenji Eno. I played the scanlined-as-hell PC version PUBLISHED BY ACCLAIM (RIP).
#83: Steamworld Heist (9.5 hours) - Active Control SRPG but in 2D.. essentially plays like a mix of Valkyria Chronicles and Worms. Super good, and doesn't overstay its welcome.
#84: Dying Light (12 hours) - Spiritual parkour successor to Dead Island, better than Dead Island in a lot of ways... no fast travel was a real buzzkill, as were the forced zombie encounters in story missions.
#85: Black the Fall (3 hours) - Out of this World style game, also inspired by Limbo/Inside. Doesn't stand out from those games but I liked the atmosphere.
#86: THOR.N (45 minutes) - Small walking simulator about the gamification of society -- was a Humble Original.
#87: Stray Cat Crossing (2 hours) - Small little walky game made in RPG Maker. No real strong feelings about it.