Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you wouldn't download a car...

I'd download a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

self unaware posted:

ripoff products are good

Chinese manufacturers replicating fancy designer bags and selling them as the real thing owns so hard

i know the arduino man makes you sad, but sacrifices have to be made for progress

If you think the companies selling fake designer crap are noble Robin Hoods you're out of your mind. Americans watch too many mobster movies.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 6, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I bet the labor conditions in the illegal knockoff handbag factory are great.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i may not like this designer handbag, but I'll fight to the death for the right of Kering S.A. to brand it as Gucci

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

If you think the companies selling fake design crap are noble Robin Hoods you're out of your mind. Americans watch too many mobster movies.

I never said they were but feel free to keep trying to put words in people's mouths since you clearly can't understand the posts.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i may not like this designer handbag, but I'll fight to the death for the right of Kering S.A. to brand it as Gucci

No I'll explicitly fight for the shithead Chinese "entrepreneur" to rip it off and claim this is ownage, the little guy finally sticking it to moneybags. I also thought the guy in Wolf of Wall Street was a hero.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

self unaware posted:

I never said they were but feel free to keep trying to put words in people's mouths since you clearly can't understand the posts.

Well, you didn't bother explaining yourself, you just said it was ownage. Maybe if you'd said something of substance I wouldn't have mischaracterized your (doubtlessly brilliant) position.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Chinese entrepreneur selling fancy bags: shithead, not ownage

american entrepreneur selling fancy bags: has a patent, owning, not shithead

surely this is about the underlying issues and not your deep seeded racism towards the Chinese people

Thug Lessons posted:

Well, you didn't bother explaining yourself, you just said it was ownage. Maybe if you'd said something of substance I wouldn't have mischaracterized your (doubtlessly brilliant) position.

why would I need to explain myself when everyone except for you can understand?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Le good guy capitalist making epic fake jordans

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

plz stop this d&d poo poo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Revisionists buy shoes too

-Michael Jordan

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
patents and others intellectual property are fuckiung bitcoins. it isnt real, ip exists for exactly as long as people think it existys. You're absolutely correct in being terrified of china 'not enforcing the spiript of I/p! it is at this exact point when empires cease to enforce patent rights, that patents themselves cease to exist as commodities to be owned and traded for other crpital. All that crap, all those buttcoins, disappear into the aether from which they sprung the base unit instant the nodes, the capitalists cease to acknowledge they're existance

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

Revisionists buy shoes too

-Michael Jordan

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

self unaware posted:

Chinese entrepreneur selling fancy bags: shithead, not ownage

american entrepreneur selling fancy bags: has a patent, owning, not shithead

No actually it's the opposite. This is leftism. Deciding which country's capitalists are ownsauce, extra points for being corrupt as poo poo.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
patents are capital

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
also gently caress you

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

No actually it's the opposite. This is leftism. Deciding which country's capitalists are ownsauce, extra points for being corrupt as poo poo.

I didn't say the people doing it were some kind of moral paragons (like you keep implying)

I'm saying that the act of undermining western brands who sell their goods at 10000x markup is a good thing, whoever does it.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

lollontee posted:

patents and others intellectual property are fuckiung bitcoins. it isnt real, ip exists for exactly as long as people think it existys. You're absolutely correct in being terrified of china 'not enforcing the spiript of I/p! it is at this exact point when empires cease to enforce patent rights, that patents themselves cease to exist as commodities to be owned and traded for other crpital. All that crap, all those buttcoins, disappear into the aether from which they sprung the base unit instant the nodes, the capitalists cease to acknowledge they're existance

Powerful stuff my man. Raise the fist for the Chinese bootleggers selling fake Bapes.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thug Lessons posted:

Powerful stuff my man. Raise the fist for the Chinese bootleggers selling fake Bapes.

gently caress you

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lenin made a patent system, which is what I tell myself to justify my existence

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

self unaware posted:

I didn't say the people doing it were some kind of moral paragons (like you keep implying)

I'm saying that the act of undermining western brands who sell their goods at 10000x markup is a good thing, whoever does it.

Maybe in some sense, but you could just as easily argue it's just furthering mindless consumerism.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
That Tyler, The Creator tweet about cyberbullying, but with the words Intellectual Property instead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

rudatron posted:

I'm stating a fact, not passing judgement. It's the logical thing for China to do, which is why they're doing it. But they're not doing it for humanitarian reasons.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

neither were the companies who developed that technology, so why do you care?

This discussion was only ever about why stealing technology is good. Literally nobody argued that it's good for that technology to be exploited through a capitalist mode of production, and we established the moral equivalency between capital interests here before you stuck your big nose ITT.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

Maybe in some sense, but you could just as easily argue it's just furthering mindless consumerism.

I'd put that more on the western firms buying millions in ads to push their garbage overpriced products. People by fake Gucci bags because of Gucci marketing(they want the name and not the price), not because Chinese bootleggers are creating a great product and marketing it. The bootlegger wouldn't even be there if the demand didn't exist.

really in general, calling bootleggers "shitheads" just because they don't respect western ip laws is pretty racist/questionable imo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This discussion was only ever about why stealing technology is good. Literally nobody argued that it's good for that technology to be exploited through a capitalist mode of production, and we established the moral equivalency between capital interests here before you stuck your big nose ITT.

He got triggered by nobody hating the Chinese

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I never responded to Rudatron, I responded to WJ. I clarified what I was talking about. I don't necessarily agree with Ruda, though he's definitely closer to reality than y'all are.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
the best part about that arduino dude getting butthurt is that his kit costs more than twice if you bought it from china directly. Like, exact same kits have already existed for a much cheaper price. The only difference is...... he made a nice box. and uhhhhh, instructions..... Hell, I'd go as far as saying that he stole the kit idea from the chinese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy moley!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol rudatron is extremely stupid

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'd download a car

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I never responded to Rudatron, I responded to WJ. I clarified what I was talking about. I don't necessarily agree with Ruda, though he's definitely closer to reality than y'all are.

this doesn’t even make sense. are you trying to say we should be worried about Chinese interests stealing American technology because it undermines American hegemony?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

self unaware posted:

I'd put that more on the western firms buying millions in ads to push their garbage overpriced products. People by fake Gucci bags because of Gucci marketing(they want the name and not the price), not because Chinese bootleggers are creating a great product and marketing it. The bootlegger wouldn't even be there if the demand didn't exist.

really in general, calling bootleggers "shitheads" just because they don't respect western ip laws is pretty racist/questionable imo

I would argue that bootleg designer goods actually reinforce conspicuous consumption. No one is actually fooled when you or me buys a fake designer product, because everyone knows we never would have been able to buy it in the first place. It's out of our price range. Ripoffs just encourage people to believe in the superior quality of designer products even though everyone already knows they're a pure status symbol, an expression of the money you can spend, rather than having any unique aesthetic or practical value.

I call Chinese bootleggers shitheads because it matches my experience with extremely sketchy "small business owners" who don't give a poo poo about the law. Feel free to believe it's racism though.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok racist, now stop posting

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this doesn’t even make sense. are you trying to say we should be worried about Chinese interests stealing American technology because it undermines American hegemony?

Nope.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Hello i would like to file a complaint with the corporate ethics national doodaa deparment.

what is your complaint sir?

someone stole my product and is trying to sell it as their own. Here, is my product, here is their's. They just changed the name. can you believe it!

Okay sir. did you design or manufacture anything in the kit?

Well, no. I didn't

Do you have any patent protecting the kit?

Well, no. It's actually open sourced.

Interesting, so what did you do?

Well, I designed the box. You see! the box! Right here! And I put the stuff in the box! See these little pockets, i put the stuff in there! It's mine! I made it! WHY IS NOBODY LISTENING TO ME

Sir, please excuse yourself

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I would argue that bootleg designer goods actually reinforce conspicuous consumption. No one is actually fooled when you or me buys a fake designer product, because everyone knows we never would have been able to buy it in the first place. It's out of our price range. Ripoffs just encourage people to believe in the superior quality of designer products even though everyone already knows they're a pure status symbol, an expression of the money you can spend, rather than having any unique aesthetic or practical value.

People who buy ripoff products understand that the use value is the same between a fully priced officially branded merchandise and its equivalent knockoff.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thug Lessons posted:

I call Chinese bootleggers shitheads because it matches my experience with extremely sketchy "small business owners" who don't give a poo poo about the law. Feel free to believe it's racism though.

yeah I'm going to say if you're calling out a group of people by their race and then using a sweeping stereotype based on what I can only assume is your experience with American small business owners... seems a bit racist

coathat
May 21, 2007

How dare you stereotype textile factory owners

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

People who buy ripoff products understand that the use value is the same between a fully priced officially branded merchandise and its equivalent knockoff.

That's not even true lol. Knockoffs are generally even less durable than what you'd get at Sears, and fall apart immediately, let alone designer quality. That's why they're so cheap. The only "use value" you're buying is getting to pretend you own a Louis Vuitton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

That's not even true lol. Knockoffs are generally even less durable than what you'd get at Sears, and fall apart immediately, let alone designer quality. That's why they're so cheap.

So you just buy a new piece of poo poo. It would still be cheaper in the long run than buying the real deal. If you just followed fashion trends the lifespan of a knockoff handbag would be about as much as its seasonal lifespan anyway.