Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

RBC posted:

irrc in 2014 wynne and hudak were "neck and neck" according to the pre election polls and wynne got a majority soooo

Wynne beat her polling day before election day polling avg by by +2.5 or so but the neck and neck narrative was always bullshit pushed by news stations so you watch more. Wynne was ahead in polls by this point in the 2014 election.

Typo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most legit entities don’t request payment in itunes gift cards.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know, in all the times the government (including CRA) has legitimately called me, they've never used a lovely computerized voice -- always a real person! That's the most obvious giveaway, even if you were dumb enough to believe the government wanted to be paid in gift cards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can see people falling for scams, it's the whole gift card thing that should be a dead give away, how is it not?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Typo posted:

Wynne beat her polling day before election day polling avg by by +2.5 or so but the neck and neck narrative was always bullshit pushed by news stations so you watch more. Wynne was ahead in polls by this point in the 2014 election.

yeah but eric grenier

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The same people that any form of government is tyranny and they will arrest you for anything and share memes on Facebook that Trudeau is the devil

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The tally of polls for Ontario this time is very much neck and neck.

It's actually kinda funny because I get the impression that the media is also not pushing it as that much of a horse race and just some weird narrative of tory inevitability; I assume it would be a horse race if it was Wynne second rather than Horwath. Not like I'm trying to imply anything about Canadian media and their idea that the NDP is the specter of communism rather than tepid social democrats.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 6, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I like when some measurement has an accuracy to 5% they report to the tenths of a percent.

There needs to be some simple standardized way of communicating confidence intervals. Like instead of saying 35%* with a bunch of subtext no one reads it’s just given as a range 29-41%*.

32%
25%
37%

Become

26-38
19-31
31-43

And all of a sudden it becomes clear that the polling and hand waving is poo poo.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 6, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They've finally done it, the liberals have killed Canadian football

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

RobFordQB.gif

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The media has been turning elections into a reality TV show for years, and it's bad

No I don't give a gently caress if this politician said they wanna bleach poppies. Can they govern?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
live feed of doug's last day of campaigning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckIcOiJyH4

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

RBC posted:

live feed of doug's last day of campaigning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckIcOiJyH4

He needs to get rid of the rest of Rob’s money before Renata takes it all in the courts, smart move

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

RBC posted:

yeah but eric grenier

Just looking at his meaningless number salad makes my blood boil

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
At this point we just gotta hope a bunch of liberals flip to the NDP last minute and that millenials turn out in the same numbers as they did in the 2015 federal election.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

At this point we just gotta hope a bunch of liberals flip to the NDP last minute and that millenials turn out in the same numbers as they did in the 2015 federal election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was an article in the local paper a few weeks ago about a woman here who fell for the scam. She had actually legitimately called CRA about something a couple of days before getting the first call so she thought it was them calling her back.

Apparently when they asked for payment in Bitcoin it didn't send up any red flags.

Here's the article for anyone interested:

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/whistler-resident-falls-prey-to-tax-scam/Content?oid=8624501

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Helsing posted:

At this point we just gotta hope

oh so we're hosed then

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Odds are too low, I can see a handful of well liked local people holding on but otherwise it's going to be a blue crush with the left splitting the vote everywhere

Even money on >=6?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ante posted:

The media has been turning elections into a reality TV show for years, and it's bad

No I don't give a gently caress if this politician said they wanna bleach poppies. Can they govern?

One of them also said the only war they'd sign up for is the WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No war but the Christmas war

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

I think we might see a ‘shy NDP’ effect amongst women voters. I’ve seen polls indicate that Ford’s favourability amongst women is particularly bad and anecdotally this seems true to me. My boomer mom who never votes and who isn’t at all political was talking about how all her friends were saying how much they disliked Ford and she’s going to vote for the first time in like 15 years cause she dislikes him so much

If the NDP can pull enough liberal women into their coalition I think they have a much better chance in this election than the ‘pundits’ give them credit for

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Toxxing myself for NDP minority or majority so Lowtax can get an unbreakable spine

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Helsing posted:

Congrats to premier ford

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
A part of me wishes Doug gets it and is unfettered so everything is terrible and everybody learns how bad it is...

Or they just insist he was hamstrung by invisible opponents and shift the goalposts back another couple of yards

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I can understand Doug Ford people voting for Doug Ford. Duh.

I can understand Conservatives that are hpapy that Doug Ford is leader of the PC and are going to vote for him. Duh.

I still cannot loving fathom the same Conservatives that openly decry Ford and complain about him and hate him.... but at the end of their rant proudly state that they're still voting Conservative.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Wirth1000 posted:

I can understand Conservatives that are hpapy that Doug Ford is leader of the PC and are going to vote for him. Duh.

I still cannot loving fathom the same Conservatives that openly decry Ford and complain about him and hate him.... but at the end of their rant proudly state that they're still voting Conservative.

Conservatism is a way of life, party leaders are interchangeable

edit: I'm sure most of the posters in this thread also vote along ideological lines, myself included

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dukemont posted:

Conservatism is a way of life, party leaders are interchangeable

edit: I'm sure most of the posters in this thread also vote along ideological lines, myself included

Hardly. If the progressive movement could convince conservatives to be half as fickle about their possible leaders as progressives already are, conservatism would be stone dead.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Liberal-lites are calling for tactical liberal votes "to stop the tories from getting in" and I'm just laughing at the sheer underhandedness of implying their party would be in any way willing to do anything better than kneecap a NDP minority with the help of the tories.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Wirth1000 posted:

"I still begrudge the NDP for what they did to Ontario in the 80's, and I hate Wynne, and there's only one option left!" - A huge number of boomer Canadians

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

"I still begrudge the NDP for what they did to Ontario in the 80's, and I hate Wynne, and there's only one option left!" - A huge number of boomer Canadians

Cool that Bob Rae was enough to disqualify the NDP from power for a lifetime but Mike Harris wasn't for the PCs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Cool that Bob Rae was enough to disqualify the NDP from power for a lifetime but Mike Harris wasn't for the PCs.

Every day I want to scream this at people while door knocking

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If the people I work with are to be taken as the average Ontario voter, Wynne's hail mary worked for the OPC.

Apparently having a university degree doesnt make you any less susceptible to con artists. These people honestly believe that the ONDP are going to legalize every drug, put prostitutes on every corner and spend every penny in the country on teachers who spend entire semesters on strike. :negative:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
lol van-city council

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Furnaceface posted:

If the people I work with are to be taken as the average Ontario voter, Wynne's hail mary worked for the OPC.

Apparently having a university degree doesnt make you any less susceptible to con artists. These people honestly believe that the ONDP are going to legalize every drug, put prostitutes on every corner and spend every penny in the country on teachers who spend entire semesters on strike. :negative:

Who could have guessed people who went Lib-PC-Lib federally would do the same thig provincially

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PT6A posted:

Why not just allow the NDP to win and then take back power when inevitably they can't appease the unappeasable by waving a magic wand and fixing all problems? Looks to be working for Albertan conservatives :rolleyes:

because the ndp commit the grave sin of spending all their hoarded money on things like "schools" and that's just a nightmare for them

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 7, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

baby boomers

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Furnaceface posted:

spend every penny in the country on teachers who spend entire semesters on strike. :negative:

I don't understand why Horwath hasn't explained that governments literally do not have the power to pass laws that end strikes without concessions from the government/employer and that Wynne and Ford are making empty promises when they say or imply that they can.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tagesschau posted:

I don't understand why Horwath hasn't explained that governments literally do not have the power to pass laws that end strikes without concessions from the government/employer and that Wynne and Ford are making empty promises when they say or imply that they can.

She expects people to know better and see through the lies.

I wish I still had that kind of optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Bonus, it was the 90s