Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

mike12345 posted:

ok how long is that episode? I'm ok with paying if it's a two hour+ special, not
so much if it's 20-30 minutes.

Every war nerd epidoed is like 2-3 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if this is the right thread but my new podcast addiction is Omnibus: basically it's Ken Jennings (yes, the Jeopardy! champion) and the guy who wrote the theme song for MBMBAM explaining all sorts of weird obscure trivia (everything from the Darian Gap to MAD to the Newton's cradle) in order to preserve it past the inevitable apocalypse. While the prospect of the end of the world is my biggest phobia, the two guys are hilarious and manage to make the weird premise work.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Omnibus is great! Just started listening on your recommendation. It's fun without being as zany as the dollop.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't very impressed with the omnibus, it felt like it never got very deep into the topics. Their episode on that 1904 Olympic Marathon didn't have as much information as the Dollop, and the Dollop spent way less time on it, as part of their 1904 Olympics episode.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I'll give you that, but it's a fun listen while I work from home, especially since I burned through all of the dollop in the last couple months.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Curveball: any podcasts about dangerous activities? everest, K2, deep sea diving?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Well, there's always the Revolutions podcast.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well this afternoon I just got to the part where King Louis XVI gets decapitated. Sort of an anti climax, but apparently such a thing was normally anticlimactic compared to other means of ending peoples lives. How many episodes until the rein of terror

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

buglord posted:

Well this afternoon I just got to the part where King Louis XVI gets decapitated. Sort of an anti climax, but apparently such a thing was normally anticlimactic compared to other means of ending peoples lives. How many episodes until the rein of terror

I'm torn on the use of spoiler tags being goofy in this context, or not

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Fooge posted:

It is goofy but i'm assuming it's a bit?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fooge posted:

Well if you're going to spoil that then you're also going to spoil what happens to King Charles I and at that point why even bother listening??

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Antares posted:

It is goofy but i'm assuming it's a bit?
Facebook news did spoil a biography of Mikhail Gorbachev for me, and I was a strangely upset about it. They mentioned how Boris Yeltsin got into power and I’m just at that point in the book where the two men are getting increasingly aggressive towards eachother.

I am legitimately curious what happens to Marquis de Lafayette though. He’s right at that point where everyone in France hates him and his previous fame from the American Revolution isn’t doing him any favors.

but yes that previous post was a joke

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

buglord posted:

Facebook news did spoil a biography of Mikhail Gorbachev for me, and I was a strangely upset about it. They mentioned how Boris Yeltsin got into power and I’m just at that point in the book where the two men are getting increasingly aggressive towards eachother.

I am legitimately curious what happens to Marquis de Lafayette though. He’s right at that point where everyone in France hates him and his previous fame from the American Revolution isn’t doing him any favors.

but yes that previous post was a joke

Good news: Mike Duncan is writing a biography on Lafayette, so you'll be able to find out soon enough.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

buglord posted:

How many episodes until the rein of terror

It starts around 3.32 I think and lasts for about five or six episodes

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Holy crap this thread wasn’t kidding about Dan Carlin and the tyranny of the boxing metaphors.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Keep pushing through it, don't let them knock you out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Speaking of which, have there been any hints on what his next episode is gonna be about?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Glumslinger posted:

Speaking of which, have there been any hints on what his next episode is gonna be about?

Boxing analogies other ramblings, maybe something historical will be jammed in if there is time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

Boxing analogies other ramblings, maybe something historical will be jammed in if there is time.

Maybe he'll just finally do a 5 part history of boxing series that takes 2 years

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Glumslinger posted:

Maybe he'll just finally do a 5 part history of boxing series that takes 2 years

He will pivot to that weird CEO analogy from the Persian series. For consistency sake.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

A Guy Long Ago Killed a Whole Bunch of People:
His arms were probably really tired by the end of it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Glumslinger posted:

How To Explain Boxing To Aliens, Parts 1-6

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

webmeister posted:

How To Explain Boxing To Aliens, Parts 1-6

It's hitting someone with your hands...on STEROIDS.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 8, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

buglord posted:

Curveball: any podcasts about dangerous activities? everest, K2, deep sea diving?

The outside podcast is kind of a grab bag of various physical activities, with the Science of Survival ones being about people in kinda hosed up circumstances:
https://www.outsideonline.com/podcasts

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think today's the last day of the Revolutions fundraiser, if anyone still wants to get on Gentleman Johnny's Party Train.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mike Duncan has clearly watched a lot of Simon Schama's Power of Art. Thread.
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1005485808193818625

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

buglord posted:

Holy crap this thread wasn’t kidding about Dan Carlin and the tyranny of the boxing metaphors.

It took me a while but his right wing radio host style of speaking finally grew on me. cant say the same about the boxing metaphors. Is Prophets of Doom a next good stop?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

It took me a while but his right wing radio host style of speaking finally grew on me. cant say the same about the boxing metaphors. Is Prophets of Doom a next good stop?

Prophets of Doom is amazing, I think its generally considered one of his best.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Count Roland posted:

I just need to find an easy way to port it to Overcast on iOS, though it seems kinda impossible?

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Mike Duncan has clearly watched a lot of Simon Schama's Power of Art. Thread.
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1005485808193818625

Its a fantastic picture, but Duncan's comments about it are not funny or interesting to me. Fair enough if you disagree, though.

I hadnt seen Duncan's twitter before so was surprised to learn he and his followers mostly post just like (or sometime are) menopausal Resistance enthusiasts... the spinster fanfiction about Angela Merkel was especially saddening to witness. It is definitely to Duncan's credit that he has kept that part of his personality out of his great podcasts.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Count Roland posted:

It owns- definitely try and find a way to listen

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

I just need to find an easy way to port it to Overcast on iOS, though it seems kinda impossible?

I just download the audio file from his website.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The Real Quaid posted:

It owns- definitely try and find a way to listen

The only thing that brings it down is the first 45 minutes when he goes over how he agonized about selecting it as a topic. I tend to just skip that on replays. Death Throes of the Republic is still my favorite after all these years.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I just got through Carlin’s 30 minute segment on Rasputin and it’s absolutely :discourse:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

buglord posted:

I just got through Carlin’s 30 minute segment on Rasputin and it’s absolutely :discourse:

If you liked that, then definitely check out Last Podcast On The Left's 4-part series on Rasputin if you haven't already. It's amazing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Do you know the timestamp for when this starts? I wanted to listen to just that part the other day, but I couldn't find it.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

1:24:20~ on pt 5

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just finished listening to "The Magliana gang" two-parter from History on Fire. It charts the history of a roman crime org from the 70s through the 80s. Mafiosi, neo-fascist terrorists, vatican banks, the italian intelligence agency, the italian government... it's nuts.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2018

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Just finished listening to "The Magliana gang" two-parter from History on Fire. It charts the history of a roman crime org from the 70s through the 80s. Mafiosi, neo-fascist terrorists, vatican banks, the italian intelligence agency, the italian government... it's nuts.

If you want more of sort of the same, check out the last few episodes of Radio War Nerd about post war Italy & the origins of the Years of Lead. The latest ep has quite a bit about the Aldo Moro kidnapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

buglord posted:

The best part of the later revolutions series is just how interconnected the various revolutionaries are. People just keep popping up in different revolutions over and over.