Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hope they never wash it because the grime really helps sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How are they meant to get the jam off, then?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://shopgreddy-com.myshopify.com/products/17040206

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wrong thread.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anything that removes pop-up headlights is heresy that I won't stand for

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
*Not* RADL approved

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Man, I WANT to like it, but a normal FD still looks so damned good I can't support a body kit. If one existed for the RX8, on the other hand...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it'd work better with the more squared off FC roof anyway.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yeah, it's the roof line that really kills it. That exact kit looks excellent on the S chassis, the roof line works better with the styling and you end up with a second generation Camaro. Pretty sure that was actually the first version, which was later adapted to the FD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boxen posted:

Man, I WANT to like it, but a normal FD still looks so damned good I can't support a body kit. If one existed for the RX8, on the other hand...

Agreed, if you could make the RX-8 look like...well, not a giant penis it would be worth it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Don't put [img] or [timg] tags on an mp4 (or gifv). Just post the link.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've been seeing this parked outside my main grocery store for months:

I see it so frequently I'm convinced somebody who works in the strip mall is commuting in it. And that rules. Today it even had the little roof thing on it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FBS posted:

I see it so frequently I'm convinced somebody who works in the strip mall is commuting in it. And that rules. Today it even had the little roof thing on it.

Meh.

I see people commuting in slingshots pretty regularly.

I came drat close to buying one when they first came out, but decided an Abarth cabrio would be a better use of my money (and every Polaris dealer wanted added markup over msrp). Every time I see a dorky guy uncomfortably sipping along in his slingshot I feel good about my decision.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Live your best life, courier truck driver.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

FBS posted:

I saw one at a cars and coffee with a hitch receiver. That's dedication. But also this is Charleston, SC. There's a solid 40% chance of rain every day in the summer, so this is the least practical thing ever.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dave Inc. posted:

I saw one at a cars and coffee with a hitch receiver. That's dedication. But also this is Charleston, SC. There's a solid 40% chance of rain every day in the summer, so this is the least practical thing ever.

My plan was to build a bike mount onto one if I had bought it.

I put a roof rack and hitch on my cabrio instead. Only bummer is that I can’t close the top with the rack installed.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 7, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm not usually a fan of retro body conversion, but I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here. That looks damned good. Too bad it's such a pain to do rear sheet metal as well.

boxen posted:

Ooo, that might work even better.
I like the stock FD. A lot of the body kits are not an improvement.

Given TRON styling of the car, that's the way it should have been from the start.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I like the stock FD. A lot of the body kits are not an improvement.

It doesn't help that the FD is pretty drat close to a perfect looking car right off the bat. The only things that I've seen improve them are bumpers that get rid of the lovely central license plate mount point that were the scourge of the UK/Japanese market FDs. Subtle changes that work with the lines of the FD rather than stupid over the top stuff like bolt on wings, vented hoods, overfenders and complete front/rear light changes. The RE Amemiya Porsche conversion looks kinda cool butttttttttttt an FD looks better stock and that's not even a debate.

Styling wise, this is a nice FD (ignoring the huge chromies):

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Every time I see one I wish they did mx5/miata hardtops as a regular overseas option because their styling is on point but not everyone wants a convertible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
isn't the new one a hardtop convertible?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Dunno, I'm taking about the early pop up headlight ones and I don't mean convertible with a hard top, I mean hard top like fixed roofs, like coupes used be called in the 70s (at least by mazda and in au).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, FDs are really beautiful, sleek cars.

I always find it interesting that the hero car for The Fast & The Furious is the Supra, but everyone seems to forget Vin Diesel had an FD initially.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, FDs are really beautiful, sleek cars.

I always find it interesting that the hero car for The Fast & The Furious is the Supra, but everyone seems to forget Vin Diesel had an FD initially.

My favourite bit in FnF is when they roll the Supra in and pop the hood, Jesse goes "2JZ no poo poo!" and the camera cuts to a bog standard NA variant that's not even a VVTI. Building that thing into a 10 second car would've been insanely expensive. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My favourite bit in FnF is when they roll the Supra in and pop the hood, Jesse goes "2JZ no poo poo!" and the camera cuts to a bog standard NA variant that's not even a VVTI. Building that thing into a 10 second car would've been insanely expensive. :v:

Nobody said overnighting parts from jay-eh-pan was cheap.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The 7+ speed non turbo Eclipse in the opening scene? You can even see it has the base model manual window cranks when it pans through the interior.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nobody said overnighting parts from jay-eh-pan was cheap.

I recall the gang was stealing poo poo like microwaves and toasters from those trucks... Must've done that a whooooooooooooooooole lot!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The 7+ speed non turbo Eclipse in the opening scene? You can even see it has the base model manual window cranks when it pans through the interior.

Ha, I remember Jesse's car not having any front brakes in the drag race against the S2000. I may go look into these bloopers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well, why do you think they were so shirty about Mr "more than you can afford pal"?

Also see Thunderbolt where Jackie Chan can race a standard Mitsubishi FTO against a modified R32 GTR, thanks to the performance-enhancing capabilities of a big bag of Mitsubishi's cash.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InitialDave posted:

Also see Thunderbolt where Jackie Chan can race a standard Mitsubishi FTO against a modified R32 GTR, thanks to the performance-enhancing capabilities of a big bag of Mitsubishi's cash.

i give this a pass because the fto is real pretty

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i give this a pass because the fto is real pretty

I haven't thought about the FTO since Gran Turismo 2. Neat.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I haven't thought about the FTO for ages, nice looking, but pretty slow. Reminds me I need to catch up with a mate that had a supra 20+ yrs ago (so even before the first F&F). He had it in storage in a shed and got pissed off if anyone dare touch the car cover on it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My garbage-rear end city got a Speedhunter's article (helps it had a whole bunch of rad cars racing round it tbh).

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/06/her-majesty-approved-motorsport-on-englands-streets/

This dude drove his white soft top E-type all the way from loving Norway for the occasion. He then drove it round the sprint circuit a whole bunch before driving it home again. Legend.

Whole load of photos in the article. Like, a LOT. It was a great weekend.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

eyebeem posted:

I haven't thought about the FTO since Gran Turismo 2. Neat.

Jackie Chan was big into the FTO and iirc he had a :rice: Evo before the FnF series was a thing

they'd probably have a better following if they were RWD. unlike Mazda, Mitsubishi is kind of a joke but i've always thought that stuff ljke the FTO and GTO/3000gt/Stealth or wtfever its called was up there with the FD in terms of amazing 90s sportscar stylings

if long term ownership didn't seem like such a nightmare it'd be a neat car to daily.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Thief posted:

Jackie Chan was big into the FTO and iirc he had a :rice: Evo before the FnF series was a thing
He was sponsored by Mitsubishi.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I recall the gang was stealing poo poo like microwaves and toasters from those trucks... Must've done that a whooooooooooooooooole lot!

i forget sometimes how long ago that movie was

this is the ADD kid's supra design and his compaq computer

this is what they were stealing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really appreciate how they set up the boxes in the truck so as soon as you open the door you have a sample of what you're stealing front and center. Some real attention to detail there, makes window shopping easy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought it was DVD players all this time, I never realized they were goddamn VCRs.

edit: I'm pretty sure we had that exact VCR at some point too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Thief posted:

they'd probably have a better following if they were RWD. unlike Mazda, Mitsubishi is kind of a joke but i've always thought that stuff ljke the FTO and GTO/3000gt/Stealth or wtfever its called was up there with the FD in terms of amazing 90s sportscar stylings

if long term ownership didn't seem like such a nightmare it'd be a neat car to daily.
Yeah, the FTO wasn't available here from dealers, but back then we had a more lax import laws so I saw a few. Pretty slow though IIRC about a 16sec 1/4mi. That bad fr a 'sporty' car as 16sec was decent from a 1970s car.
I wish mits made and priced the gto /3000 to compete with the nissan 300zx or other similar coupes instead of stupid high and rare. But I also wish the mazda gtx gearbox wasn't glass, the mx5 was hardtop coupe, the rx8 was the car with a piston engine etc
Mits do some crazy things (like loving carbs), but I had mates with 80s galants and another with evo4 and I rate them pretty well. An evo 5 or 6 would be pretty sweet in my garage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We had an infestation of FTO imports here. Oddly expensive to insure, apparently. Seemed to attract the sports car buying equivalent of the people who bought import Hilux Surfs and Pajeros, so I think they mostly got abused to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InitialDave posted:

Well, why do you think they were so shirty about Mr "more than you can afford pal"?

What about The Rock, where a Humvee chases a Ferrari F355?