Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Squashing Machine posted:

We all know you can never really understand someone who is different from you, you can only pretend to.

I have no idea how you can read anything I have said and believe this is my position. Like, what is your foundation for your critical perspective?

Name your five most influential critical theorists. What school do you subscribe to? Hell, just tell me if you consider yourself a continentalist or an analyist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Human doesn't actually mean anything inherently, which is the point. All labels are ultimately arbitrary, and because of that wholly subject to deconstruction. There is nothing inherent in any category, because it is built on the weak foundation of language.
Actually, Homo sapiens sapiens is a category with pretty inherent qualities. That people everywhere conceive of language and identity regardless of how those are shaped by circumstance says more than any of the French pomobabble you learned in your senior year.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have no idea how you can read anything I have said and believe this is my position. Like, what is your foundation for your critical perspective?

Name your five most influential critical theorists. What school do you subscribe to? Hell, just tell me if you consider yourself a continentalist or an analyist

I didn't go to school, I went to books.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i don't have much to add to this discussion but as a middle-class white man filled with ennui i find reading about middle-class white men filled with ennui inherently boring and would rather read about other stuff thats beyond my everyday experience

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Actually, Homo sapiens sapiens is a category with pretty inherent qualities.

You do realize the flexibility of taxonomic categorization is actually a major part of biology right?

There are entire schools of thought dedicated to the boundaries of what is considered acceptable variation within a species.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You do realize the flexibility of taxonomic categorization is actually a major part of biology right?

There are entire schools of thought dedicated to the boundaries of what is considered acceptable variation within a species.
Are you literally appealing to "human biodiversity"?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

WASDF posted:

I just bask in the empathy, and feel something kind of cosmic about things like DEATH and LOVE.
That's all...

You're saying it's been done before? Well that's a waste of the forty thousand words I wrote about death.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Are you literally appealing to "human biodiversity"?

No I am saying that pointing to "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" as an objective categorization is false because all categorization is inherently arbitrary to some extent, and even the biologists who do the categorization acknowledge this. I am not saying there are non human humans, but I am also saying that the criteria we use to define what is a human being at a biological level is not unambiguous, because all taxonomy deals with issues of ambiguity.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
noted defender of the hegemonic perspective, chinua achebe:

quote:

Once you allow yourself to identify with the people in a story, then you might begin to see yourself in that story even if on the surface it's far removed from your situation. This is what I try to tell my students: this is one great thing that literature can do —it can make us identify with situations and people far away. If it does that, it's a miracle. I tell my students, it's not difficult to identify with somebody like yourself, somebody next door who looks like you. What's more difficult is to identify with someone you don't see, who's very far away, who's a different color, who eats a different kind of food. When you begin to do that then literature is really performing its wonders.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clipperton posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the point of art to expand our limited scope of subjective human experience. If you can empathize and connect with elements of an experience or struggle, that is a good thing. However, I do not think that connection speaks to anything "universal" as much as it is a bridging of subject positioning and experience.

In summary, art should build empathy not by convincing you that everyone has a shared universal experience at the core of their being, but by showing you that the human experience is vast and dynamic.

Nothing he is saying is speaking to universality as much as finding connections between yourself and others, which I already explicitly said is my view of the purpose of art. I don't see how claiming we should identify with others means that human experience shares a universal core.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Clipperton posted:

you are killing it with these quotes. I support it whole-sale.
Okonkwo is something of an icon for the importance of empathy to me. Things Fall Apart is amazing.
Yams.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No I am saying that pointing to "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" as an objective categorization is false because all categorization is inherently arbitrary to some extent, and even the biologists who do the categorization acknowledge this. I am not saying there are non human humans, but I am also saying that the criteria we use to define what is a human being at a biological level is not unambiguous, because all taxonomy deals with issues of ambiguity.
You're reading me backwards. I'm not saying that because the taxonomical category exists it dictates the qualities of its examples; I'm saying that unavoidable commonalities necessitate a larger category. Even your own arguments support this; when you talk about "an endlessly complex series of interlocking subjective experiences", that you conceive of "subjective experiences" as an idea that can stand for literally every mind on the planet means that you are simply writing Homo sapiens sapiens with different letters.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nothing he is saying is speaking to universality as much as finding connections between yourself and others, which I already explicitly said is my view of the purpose of art. I don't see how claiming we should identify with others means that human experience shares a universal core.

I think you're getting bullied right now cause you recognized what people meant when they said "universal" and yet you misconstrued it as their assertion of the hegemonic human experience.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

People don't deserve to read books if they think the reason literature has value is to show that actually we're all the same if you think about it man

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You're reading me backwards. I'm not saying that because the taxonomical category exists it dictates the qualities of its examples; I'm saying that unavoidable commonalities necessitate a larger category. Even your own arguments support this; when you talk about "an endlessly complex series of interlocking subjective experiences", that you conceive of "subjective experiences" as an idea that can stand for literally every mind on the planet means that you are simply writing Homo sapiens sapiens with different letters.

Well sure, but my issue with the argument of universal human themes is that if A shares something with B and B shares something with C, and A shares something with C, it doesn't necessarily means that they all share the same thing.

My point is that we can all find common elements to create empathy between each other, but it doesn't mean those elements are universal to all people.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My point is that we can all find common elements to create empathy between each other, but it doesn't mean those elements are universal to all people.
Well, that's where we diverge. I think that a few might be.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

J_RBG posted:

People don't deserve to read books if they think the reason literature has value is to show that actually we're all the same if you think about it man

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Let's keep in mind, though, that you're the one who actually brought up the idea of universality in the first place. Here's the post that started all this:

Squashing Machine posted:

They can, but it's a pretty lovely place to start your criticism from. And, obviously, these books were widely purchased and read by large swathes of the population, poor included. Maybe it's wish-fulfillment, maybe it's the same impulse that makes people wave at the President's limo, or maybe it's because these characters are depicted navigating problems of life and existence that are relevant even outside their individual caste.
Now, even if you reject the idea that some things might unite all humans, surely this post doesn't conflict with the idea that "A shares something with B and B shares something with C"? Why jump to the conclusion that Squashing Machine is presuming something that you disagree with?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Let's keep in mind, though, that you're the one who actually brought up the idea of universality in the first place. Here's the post that started all this:

Now, even if you reject the idea that some things might unite all humans, surely this post doesn't conflict with the idea that "A shares something with B and B shares something with C"? Why jump to the conclusion that Squashing Machine is presuming something that you disagree with?

Because, from experience, the way he phrased it felt like a traditional universal truth preamble and it turns out I was right

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because, from experience, the way he phrased it felt like a traditional universal truth preamble and it turns out I was right
But then you used your rejection of universals to deny that people even significantly share particulars, like a book's themes couldn't resonate with most people. It's ridiculous.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

like a book's virtue couldn't be that its themes resonate with most people. It's ridiculous.

It could but I would find it difficult to prove that much less argue it in terms of literary merit.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It could but I would find it difficult to prove that much less argue it in terms of literary merit.
This would only be of consequence if anyone had claimed to do either.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it's girth and shape of thematic resonation that's what counts anyway apparently

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There, I fixed the goddamn post for you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You seem pretty mad, it's a literary debate man. Chill, we are just book nerding here.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

GAS

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Don't make me bring up video games

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I propose a new subject: dumb as heck marginalia in used books.

In my used copy of Pedro Paramo there are these """observations""" made by what seems to be an alien-being. ...and I would have promised her [the dying mother] anything.: "characterizes protagonist as a man wh loves his mother and would do right by her. he spent time with her on her last days." another, "the motif of God is used to develop the theme of religion..."
I can only guess that this person may not be a native English speaker, but I'm intrigued by what an English speaking person may have thought observations like these would reveal. AND, what's a classic move with excessive highlighters of books, there are absolutely zero notes beyond the half-way mark.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WASDF posted:

In my used copy of Pedro Paramo there are these """observations""" made by what seems to be an alien-being. ...and I would have promised her [the dying mother] anything.: "characterizes protagonist as a man wh loves his mother and would do right by her. he spent time with her on her last days." another, "the motif of God is used to develop the theme of religion..."
I can only guess that this person may not be a native English speaker, but I'm intrigued by what an English speaking person may have thought observations like these would reveal. AND, what's a classic move with excessive highlighters of books, there are absolutely zero notes beyond the half-way mark.

So can I have my book back, then?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

So can I have my book back, then?

you had the decency to write most of them in pencil, and I've already gone through each page (before reading) and erased everyone I could.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Everyone? :ohdear:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Those seem like fairly typical literature 101 notes from a first-year student who is to write a 500-word essay on basic literary theory buzzwords and started reading too late or is attempting to internalise 'close' reading by making basic notes while doing so and realised halfway through that it wasn't necessary. In-/direct characterization, motifs; it's standard first-semester language/literature studies stuff.

Why would those examples be indicative of a non-native speaker?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

not a soul left living in that book

Lex Neville posted:

Those seem like fairly typical literature 101 notes from a first-year student who is to write a 500-word essay on basic literary theory buzzwords and started reading too late or is attempting to internalise 'close' reading by making basic notes while doing so and realised halfway through that it wasn't necessary. In-/direct characterization, motifs; it's standard first-semester language/literature studies stuff.

I was thinking something like this, too. I've seen a lot of too-close readings tire people out before they even get through whatever it is they are reading.

quote:

Why would those examples be indicative of a non-native speaker?
It wasn't just those examples that lead to the suspicion, and it wasn't a particularly strong suspicion at that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

the real white noise is all of these loving posts

Thank you.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Good god almighty the last few pages have caused me to contract HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
But at least the argument gave us this post:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No regrets bitch

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

WASDF posted:

Whoever last had my copy of Nella Larsen's Passing was strangely determined to prove Irene Refield was secretly a lesbian. They highlighted every instance where she described other female character's beauty or desirability and every cold-fish description of Irene's husband, to finally conclude:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No regrets bitch

Let's begin the unhealable TBB critical schism, you and me bud