Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mods change my name posted:

No I just can't think of the particular word that DR uses to describe his "logical beliefs" that I wanted to invoke but you do you man

DR is consistent with his own views of how the world works is what I think youre trying to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Like mlmp you're normally cool and I ain't mad at you and I see your point, but this is kinda some DR type argument you're making at the moment and I wish that you'd reconsider. We want blood and to eat the rich here, not logic my friend, as it has already failed us

Don't make me think past my preconceived notions and assumptions and force me to examine the whole picture in context or we're gonna fight bruh.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even know anymore, I say kill em all

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
IHOP saw this conversation coming.

https://twitter.com/IHOP/status/1003682801042915328

International House of Bancakes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No I just can't think of the particular word that DR uses to describe his "logical beliefs" that I wanted to invoke but you do you man

he refers to his beliefs as an 'ethical framework'

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I don't even know anymore, I say eat em all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

also

I'm from Buenos Aires, I say kill em all

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

loving :lol: at people who think "Well we have to be careful with recalling judges, otherwise judges will always be looking over their judges every time they sentence someone"

Yes, I too want a society where public servants aren't held accountable. Well done.

Gay marriage was legalized via judicial fiat in the state of Iowa. Come the next election, they were voted out of office. I'm not sure I want judges being held to popular opinion. They need to be as non-political as can be, not worried about the whims of voters.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don’t blame the cop. He was just following protocol.

Also any judge that rules on gay marriage, immigration, guns, or literally anything else that impacts a large portion of people, they are inescapably political, even if you don’t want them to be.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's the dumb thing about states with an elected judiciary. Interpretation of the law should be divorced from election cycles, not subjected to the whims of whichever group of voters is angriest or most well funded at the specific moment.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

McNally posted:

IHOP saw this conversation coming.

https://twitter.com/IHOP/status/1003682801042915328

International House of blockchain

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I bet it's stupid and all they change it to is breakfast

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

psydude posted:

That's the dumb thing about states with an elected judiciary. Interpretation of the law should be divorced from election cycles, not subjected to the whims of whichever group of voters is angriest or most well funded at the specific moment.

No, my feelings are more important.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jesus just bring Judge Dredd out.

It's what we as a society deserve except not really because Dredd is too good for us.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

McNally posted:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Willing to bet that the 'recommended sentence' / probationary board yadda yadda would have translated into 10+ yrs for the perp if Brock Turner was anything but a white kid.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

In only we could just eat the rich

The system is not broken; it's just transitioning into a meat buffet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

That Works posted:

Willing to bet that the 'recommended sentence' / probationary board yadda yadda would have translated into 10+ yrs for the perp if Brock Turner was anything but a white kid.

I wish Paul Mooney was still doing comedy because he'd have some poo poo to say about this.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

He's a deontologist, friend

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1004505455727665153?s=19

Isn't this literally their job?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Motherfucker doesn't understand the point of checks and balances

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Like mlmp you're normally cool and I ain't mad at you and I see your point, but this is kinda some DR type argument you're making at the moment and I wish that you'd reconsider. We want blood and to eat the rich here, not logic my friend, as it has already failed us

I guess my main point is that if you're satisified cheering over spiking one judge, you're missing the point that the judge just followed the state's own guidance on how to determine punishment, which is in and of itself a hosed up set of guidance that is designed to save the more privileged. And a fair number of judges may just see this as an excuse to always hammer people for basic poo poo.

That Works posted:

That's my point. The guidance is based on all kinds of criteria that just so happen to align with the wealthy, educated, white folk. That poo poo should change hard.

It's not the end of the world that this judge got recalled. But it sure would be nice to focus on one of the root causes of this inequality, which is how state laws and sentencing guidance are written. Any number of judges from various backgrounds could've followed the sentencing guidance and the exact same crime would get a different sentence based on social status, family/community connections, schooling/employment, and more. That's not a good model to follow, and it should change.

boop the snoot posted:

Also any judge that rules on gay marriage, immigration, guns, or literally anything else that impacts a large portion of people, they are inescapably political, even if you don’t want them to be.

That's their job, unless you buy into the utter bullshit, generally conservative argument against "activist judges."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1004490866503966720

Welp, he's not getting a pardon, that'd for drat sure.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

In the Guard you need to be in a slot that requires that rank to get promoted, and you can also refuse promotion (for a time). His situation isn't too crazy especially if he's prior.

Example: 1LT is promoted to CPT automatically, but can't pin CPT until he's in an MTOE slot that requires it. This is so we don't have O-3 XOs and such.

Wait, the army has separate slots for O-3s and above? poo poo, most officer slots in the Air Guard are Major slots, so I won’t have to worry til I’m looking at Lt Col, and by that point, I’ll be well beyond retirement age, so I won’t give a poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The National Guard is weird. A few NG units have Confederate Army battle honors in their official lineage because of how the Militia Act of 1903 worked.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:cb:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The National Guard is weird. A few NG units have Confederate Army battle honors in their official lineage because of how the Militia Act of 1903 worked.

Yeah, the unit I deployed to Iraq with is one of those. They trace their lineage to a unit that formed in 1799, captured Aaron Burr, fought at New Orleans, fought in Mexico under Jefferson Davis, fought for the Confederacy, etc.

If they were as screwed up back then as they were when I was with them, it's no wonder the south lost the war.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

My hometown did something super cool.

https://twitter.com/elizabethcatte/status/1004328902549037057?s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

Yeah, the unit I deployed to Iraq with is one of those. They trace their lineage to a unit that formed in 1799, captured Aaron Burr, fought at New Orleans, fought in Mexico under Jefferson Davis, fought for the Confederacy, etc.

If they were as screwed up back then as they were when I was with them, it's no wonder the south lost the war.

There are even stranger military units out there.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

There's a lot to like in that picture.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Check out the rest of the pictures. That woman loving rules.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Afros are awesome in general.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I like her.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2018/06/06/troubling-us-navy-review-finds-widespread-shortfalls-in-basic-seamanship/

It's getting better and the LCS OOD model was fantastic and I hope they train the rest of the fleet with those lessons learned. Except the part where I was trained four different times by four different entities for 2-9 days at a time to perform tasks in VMS (electronic charting) of questionable need and little practicality.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:emptyquote:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hell yeah!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Motherfucker doesn't understand the point of checks and balances

R in office, so it's entirely willful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

My hometown did something super cool.

gently caress that poo poo, that's way too positive, it's 2018, I checked out that person's twitter feed and was lead to this: https://twitter.com/radiofreegeorgy/status/1004385249520996352

In the meter of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

• Locked thread