Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I'm sure the critically panned show is actually doing really well by Netflix's metrics. That's the only explanation for all the lovely shows that Netflix makes -- sometimes expensively -- and keeps making.

Bright was apparently their all time best movie and critics ripped that one. Also the Adam Sandler movies do really well too. No accounting for taste.

I probably say this every year, but I'm about caught up on this season of the Expanse, and it astonishes me at how much this is exactly the sci fi show I've been waiting for my whole life. Every aspect: writing, acting, characterization, pacing, production, SFX is absolute top tier quality. And it's by far the hardest sci fi show ever, and rather than hinder the show they use “realistic”limitations to highten drama and create spectacular scenes. I just saw a scene where a guy was walking through a ship with a lot of dead crewmen who are still attached to the deck with mag boots, so it's this dude dodging around these corpses that look like they are all still standing up. It wasn't a long scene but it was striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Wow Sam and Diane's relationship is insanely gross

I still absolutely adore Cheers, but ... yeah, there are some parts that haven't aged well at all. I just finished another run through the entirety of Frasier the other day and there's a lot more gay panic than I remembered in that, too (and holy gently caress did that show spin its wheels for an entire season after Niles and Daphne got together).

zoux posted:

Bright was apparently their all time best movie and critics ripped that one. Also the Adam Sandler movies do really well too. No accounting for taste.

Ridiculous 6 was watched more times in its first 30 days on Netflix than any other movie in the company's history.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

I still absolutely adore Cheers, but ... yeah, there are some parts that haven't aged well at all. I just finished another run through the entirety of Frasier the other day and there's a lot more gay panic than I remembered in that, too (and holy gently caress did that show spin its wheels for an entire season after Niles and Daphne got together).

Ridiculous 6 was watched more times in its first 30 days on Netflix than any other movie in the company's history.

It'd be one thing if the crap was squeezing out better shows. While I'm sure at some level this happens, but Netflix is investing so much in original content and investing heavily in genres I like, it's hard to complain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's nice about The Expanse is how they went big for their old school OPA leaders (Jared Harris and now David Strathairn) because without the right actor those parts could just come across as ridiculous.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waiting for Michael Ironside to show up in some capacity. And hopefully say get your rear end to mars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that's nice about The Expanse is how they went big for their old school OPA leaders (Jared Harris and now David Strathairn) because without the right actor those parts could just come across as ridiculous.

I kind of feel bad that Strathairn went from A-list to supporting roles on prematurely cancelled Syfy shows but our gain I guess

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Timby posted:

Which is odd because half of the main actors were gay and I think one of the show runners was gay too

Also the beer glasses in cheers are so teeny tiny

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Which is odd because half of the main actors were gay and I think one of the show runners was gay too

David Hyde Pierce was the only gay member of the main cast (Dan Butler was, too, but he was always supporting), and Pierce didn't come out until several years after Frasier ended. There was always a lot of speculation about John Mahoney, but he was a devout Catholic and revealed that he stopped dating after he had a colostomy due to colon cancer back in the '80s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
+1 for Dietland good

also giving Killing Eve a second try and it’s definitely clicking more this time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Shelley Long is a delight, but lmao if she thought she could make it in Hollywood movies

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Shelley Long is a delight, but lmao if she thought she could make it in Hollywood movies

Troop Beverly Hills is a loving classic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

The episode of Frasier where she comes to Seattle is hilarious from start to finish.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

The episode of Frasier where she comes to Seattle is hilarious from start to finish.

Absolutely

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

I probably say this every year, but I'm about caught up on this season of the Expanse, and it astonishes me at how much this is exactly the sci fi show I've been waiting for my whole life. Every aspect: writing, acting, characterization, pacing, production, SFX is absolute top tier quality. And it's by far the hardest sci fi show ever, and rather than hinder the show they use “realistic”limitations to highten drama and create spectacular scenes. I just saw a scene where a guy was walking through a ship with a lot of dead crewmen who are still attached to the deck with mag boots, so it's this dude dodging around these corpses that look like they are all still standing up. It wasn't a long scene but it was striking.

That's a funny example to give, as Doctor Who did an episode last year that mined that concept for a few scenes with its bad guy, which was later revealed to be the work of capitalism. It was a far better season of the show than the last few.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Absolutely

His rant at the end kills me. "For you have made a pact with Beelzebub ... AND HER NAME IS MARYANNE!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The depictions of space travel and space combat in The Expanse is fantastic. It's the first time where it feels like it's just a really dangerous and lovely thing to experience. Going to space sucks and it's a privilege to be born on Earth or Mars. People involved in really fast space travel and crazy maneuvering during battles suffer through horrendous strokes and I think their intestines get hosed up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mameluke posted:

That's a funny example to give, as Doctor Who did an episode last year that mined that concept for a few scenes with its bad guy, which was later revealed to be the work of capitalism. It was a far better season of the show than the last few.

Doctor Who is atrocious, I have no idea what example you think I'm citing

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

zoux posted:

Doctor Who is atrocious, I have no idea what example you think I'm citing

He's saying that Doctor Who used the visual of corpses floating upright in zero gravity because of their magnetic boots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The depictions of space travel and space combat in The Expanse is fantastic. It's the first time where it feels like it's just a really dangerous and lovely thing to experience. Going to space sucks and it's a privilege to be born on Earth or Mars. People involved in really fast space travel and crazy maneuvering during battles suffer through horrendous strokes and I think their intestines get hosed up.

There was that hosed up episode where they showed what happened to the guy who invented the engine that everyone uses and how he ends up dying because the g's were so bad that he couldn't turn off the engine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah, being a pioneer in The Expanse is a horrible death sentence. If Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos were in the show their spleen would explode from trying to get to Mars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh yeah, being a pioneer in The Expanse is a horrible death sentence. If Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos were in the show their spleen would explode from trying to get to Mars.

I am suddenly intrigued by this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of goofy how Jessica Harmon plays a love interest on two completely different CW shows. She's Niylah (Clarke's girlfriend) on The 100 and Dale Bozzio (Clive's girlfriend/wife) on iZombie.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Timby posted:

Bulldog should have been a gay character.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
If you had any hope that people were going to stop being ridiculous about politicizing the Thundercats reboot CalArts had a shutdown after a staff member thought a Twitter meme was a school shooting threat so we can look forward to even more of that bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Erotic Wakes posted:

If you had any hope that people were going to stop being ridiculous about politicizing the Thundercats reboot CalArts had a shutdown after a staff member thought a Twitter meme was a school shooting threat so we can look forward to even more of that bullshit.

I don't see how it being a meme makes it not a threat. The loving Toronto incel van attacker had memes in his declaration of intent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah these days there’s honestly no way of loving knowing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's kind of goofy how Jessica Harmon plays a love interest on two completely different CW shows. She's Niylah (Clarke's girlfriend) on The 100 and Dale Bozzio (Clive's girlfriend/wife) on iZombie.

Not too goofy for a Canadian actress when those shows are all filmed in Vancouver fwiw

e: didn't the toronto van fucker even say he did it for supreme gentleman elliot rodger?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like it's giving me anxiety how utterly gross and manipulative both Sam and Diane are in their relationship

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Calaveron posted:

Like it's giving me anxiety how utterly gross and manipulative both Sam and Diane are in their relationship

Just don't watch it then. The shows a product of it's time. If it's helps you at all the show recognises this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Just don't watch it then. The shows a product of it's time. If it's helps you at all the show recognises this.

But Coach, and also the promise of Frasier
And yeah it's good the show recognizes that their relationship sucks and is unhealthy. Not a lot of shows do that like Friends
Also how I met your mother

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 7, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

esperterra posted:

e: didn't the toronto van fucker even say he did it for supreme gentleman elliot rodger?

Yep. Killing people for the lols is the point we've reached.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If Netflix still has that "We want shows for every niche and demo there is" mentality, then 13 Reasons Why is I guess their go-to Teen Angst Drama. Not that it would be too hard to make another, but maybe it does well in that demo. We don't know. Netflix will never tell.

(One interesting thing is pop culture makes High School the ultimate focus of child/teenage cruelty and cliquishness but it's usually much worse in the 6-8 grade range. I know that was my experience and I've heard similar things from others.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's incredible, Diane is basically the Frasier prototype

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, and then HIMYM spent several years turning Ted, ostensibly its protagonist, into the biggest creeper rear end in a top hat seen on television since Ross Geller, only to let him get his happy ending by killing his baby mama and getting him back together with Robin in possibly the worst sitcom series finale in history.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah, and then HIMYM spent several years turning Ted, ostensibly its protagonist, into the biggest creeper rear end in a top hat seen on television since Ross Geller, only to let him get his happy ending by killing his baby mama and getting him back together with Robin in possibly the worst sitcom series finale in history.

Yeah that's what I meant, the show went to great lengths to show Ted and Robin were fundamentally incompatible but then the later seasons hosed it up and nobody recognized it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh yeah that 70s show also recognizes an awful relationship but then throws it all out to the wind

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I had no idea she was Richard Harmon's actual sister and now I can't unsee the resemblance.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Rhyno posted:

I had no idea she was Richard Harmon's actual sister and now I can't unsee the resemblance.
Why would you do this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

misguided rage posted:

Why would you do this

He's a handsome man! He's like an American Matt Smith!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Calaveron posted:

But Coach, and also the promise of Frasier
And yeah it's good the show recognizes that their relationship sucks and is unhealthy. Not a lot of shows do that like Friends

Yeah everyone knew that the relationship was toxic and tried to get them to realize it. See the classic episode with John Cleese to see how insane the two of them are together .