Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The market can't be that big, I mean what are they gonna do when everyone that really wanted a Skyline has one? It's not like there's an endless supply of fanbois out there with disposable cash in hand, that poo poo is going to dry up really quick I would think.

You have the right idea, there is always going to be a market for quality 4x4 trucks in exceptional condition, just hope that guys like them don't figure it out when no one wants Skylines anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

InitialDave posted:

I've noticed that quite a few straight sixes seem to go at the back end of the engine. I've often wondered if a supplemental electric coolant pump at that end could help, if the issue is lack of circulation causing hot spots.

Its quite common to expanded the rear passages on rb and vg (v6) motors. I think its pretty common on 2js looking for that stupid power as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The market can't be that big, I mean what are they gonna do when everyone that really wanted a Skyline has one? It's not like there's an endless supply of fanbois out there with disposable cash in hand, that poo poo is going to dry up really quick I would think.

You have the right idea, there is always going to be a market for quality 4x4 trucks in exceptional condition, just hope that guys like them don't figure it out when no one wants Skylines anymore.

The only thing I care about from them if they manage to sell that AZ-1 for 17 grand because goddamn

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is the market on them like at the moment? I'd be shocked if they got that much but you never know.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What is the market on them like at the moment? I'd be shocked if they got that much but you never know.

Nice ones have sold for over 18 grand.
It seems high but then again, there were only 4800 (?) or so ever made, they went through their 'these aren't worth anything rip' phase which took a bunch of them off the roads via neglect and now they are US-legal. I don't know how many nice ones are left but the supply is tiny and the US market is huge. I'm more curious about if Montu is going to do anything with it or just take it off the truck, check the oil, and put it up for sale. That's gotta be what they do, it's exactly what Japanese Classics does, and dang it just rubs me the wrong way. Just give a poo poo about the cars you are selling goddamn

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

I've noticed that quite a few straight sixes seem to go at the back end of the engine. I've often wondered if a supplemental electric coolant pump at that end could help, if the issue is lack of circulation causing hot spots.

Pull out the EGR stuff and they're fine. 7Ms after 89 came with EGR stuff, early ones didn't and the early ones don't suffer from excess heat at the back. (they just eat head gaskets until you throw in some ARP bolts)

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Condition 4 bus

:eyepop: I’m nowhere near needing a JDM bus to turn into a camper but drat I want to inspect and bid on this.

More comedy from the Coaster auctions

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If interested those huge Coasters seem to come up in decent condition very often, I'm more looking for the smaller "already a camper" Toyotas but I'd imagine you could pick up the big ones CHEAP

Iron Croissant 64
Jun 2, 2018

by R. Guyovich

iwentdoodie posted:

It seems to be one of those words that the UK (and probably australia) still uses while the rest of the English speaking world, and the Japanese, see as an ethnic slur.

The only people I hear use the word are the same people who drop the n word and don't understand why they can't call people fag anymore, and British people.

A few years back Peter King, a Republican politician who is known for....nothing good, and being super racist said it multiple times during an interview and refused to back down on it because of political correctness. And basically anything that guy thinks is okay is objectively wrong, so eh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Thread title needs to be changed now to "Lets Import Jap Vehicles for Fun and Profit". K thanks.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Just give a poo poo about the cars you are selling

This. I am really interested in trying to import and sell a vehicle or two, and I feel like more of the desire comes from these things being cool and nostalgic and fun to work on, not just trying to make a quick buck. Here in central North Carolina it seems like most of the 4WD listings on Craigslist are beat up pickups or Grand Cherokees that have been lifted, stripped, and had who knows what done to them. I'm still waiting to hear back from on online request I put in to the NCDOT asking about registration and titling of these vehicles and while I suspect that it's not going to be an issue, I came across this on the local Craigslist today:

quote:

1992 Honda Acty Attack, Japaneese Mini Truck for sale. All time 4x4 with diff-lock
Have not been able to get it street legal due to regulations therefor I'm selling. No title, bill of sale

I'm really hoping that it's not much of an issue here in NC because drat I want one of these Pajeros or Ruggers or Delicas.

Riller fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 6, 2018

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Riller posted:

This. I am really interested in trying to import and sell a vehicle or two, and I feel like more of the desire comes from these things being cool and nostalgic and fun to work on, not just trying to make a quick buck. Here in central North Carolina it seems like most of the 4WD listings on Craigslist are beat up pickups or Grand Cherokees that have been lifted, stripped, and had who knows what done to them. I'm still waiting to hear back from on online request I put in to the NCDOT asking about registration and titling of these vehicles and while I suspect that it's not going to be an issue, I came across this today:

I'm really hoping that it's not much of an issue here in NC because drat I want one of these Pajeros or Ruggers or Delicas.

Be very clear what you are asking them, they will assume alot of things (incorrectly). There is a huge difference between 25 year old kei truck and not 25 year old truck (they can be imported as Low Speed Vehicles). Also if its imported as farm equipment it will never be street legal. They will assume everything wrong so just be very patient and very clear and concise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Anyway, spent a couple of hours last night extracting chassis dollies to lend my mate for his FD shell. Should turn up this afternoon, will try to get pictures of it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
BIdding on a Jimny and Surf tonight

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Jimny?

JIMNY OF 4WD

God I love this poo poo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
ELECTRONIC
PETROL
INJECTION
INTERCOOLER

everdave posted:

BIdding on a Jimny and Surf tonight

Good luck!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Passed on JIMNY had some corrosion which terrifies me doesn’t exist in my state. Throwing 220k at a turbo diesel surf no inspection let’s roll!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Meat Dimension posted:

Condition 4 bus

More comedy from the Coaster auctions

I want to buy one of these and run like a little bus company for fun in a small town.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Surf went for 312 if it had all the cool stickers I’d have bid more oh well

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The boys on Mighty Car mods mentioned the other day that the R33-34 skyline GTR's are now north of AU$100K to buy. There arent really that many left in japan that havent already been exported by the Aussies, Kiwis and Canukistanis, so they're going to be absolutely INSANELY expensive when they become US eligible.

Interestingly you dont hear of the AU FZJ80's making GBS threads out head gaskets often at all. Perhaps the cooling system is that much bigger on an AU spec one to cope with driving through deserts?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I wanted a Jimny anyway but after seeing this video it made me want one a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Jimny?

JIMNY OF 4WD

God I love this poo poo.

I'm not clear. Does this have a turbo?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The further I mess with my SA22C, the more I fear it will end up this way at some point.
Currently:

Except now the hood is loose, and the front suspension is sitting on the ground.

e: poo poo. Thought for a minute this was in the "what did you do" thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wanted a Jimny anyway but after seeing this video it made me want one a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

The little black one with the tractor tires is a 2-stroke. Neat.
Almost want to buy one already modified like that and ship it over to mess with the USDM Samurai guys.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

The further I mess with my SA22C, the more I fear it will end up this way at some point.
At least you're starting with a complete one!

Hey, Kaker, you sell kei trucks for landscaping, right?
https://imgur.com/gallery/35wiU1M

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

I'm not clear. Does this have a turbo?

:iiam:

InitialDave posted:

Hey, Kaker, you sell kei trucks for landscaping, right?
https://imgur.com/gallery/35wiU1M

Dang those are gorgeous! Can't imagine that one with the aquarium moves very fast.

Washed, waxed, polished and trim-restored.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love it!

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
EFB

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
What do these vehicle interiors smell like? I know the Japanese are big smokers, do any of them reek of cigarette smoke? If so, how do you neutralize the smell?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Some Guy From NY posted:

What do these vehicle interiors smell like? I know the Japanese are big smokers, do any of them reek of cigarette smoke? If so, how do you neutralize the smell?

An ozone generator takes care of smoke smell.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Kaker, do many Seras get imported or are they a hot ticket at the auctions? I have no idea why(It's the doors) but I have some weird boner over these lovely little compacts.(100% the doors)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There is usually one or two up for auction, even some 5 speeds lately but they haven't been in great shape. Would be hard to make money on one but if you wanted one personally Seras are pretty easy to find.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yea, it would be a personal vehicle since I have mental problems. I'm assuming it would cost me in the 5-7.5k range for a 5-speed? or more like 10k?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No I think you could probably get one in your driveway for 7 or less, I would advise to be patient and wait for a really good one since there doesn't seem to be a lot available.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Some Guy From NY posted:

Only a couple of the cars I've got so far have been smoker's cars, and after a clean (including shampooing all fabrics) I then run (as was already mentioned) our ozone generator which will then clear out the rest. The Surf just smells like an old truck so I haven't ran the ozone in it, it was never smoked in. Likewise the Prado was filthy but wasn't a smoker's car so smells fine.

TheFonz posted:

Kaker, do many Seras get imported or are they a hot ticket at the auctions? I have no idea why(It's the doors) but I have some weird boner over these lovely little compacts.(100% the doors)

Nah they aren't hot items but are a very inexpensive and easy car to have if you want something unique but usable as a daily. It's a Tercel/Paseo with fantastic doors, and that's it. Some have super JDM interior options like the mood smells.
The way the doors and glass are you will roast if you live somewhere hot and sunny.
If you want a nice 5 speed manual one you might be waiting a couple months or so depending on your quality threshold. If you are cool with an auto you can get one much sooner. Turns out I should have refreshed the page :v:

Cost-wise I'd expect to pay around 7k~ or so USD to have it in your driveway. This depends on so many variables though and as was mentioned supply is pretty low but demand isn't super high either.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 8, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There is a filthy 5 speed Sera up right now with low miles, I don't see any body damage may be worth trying to pick up super cheap if you wanted to do some refurbishing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's a dude in my tiny half-dead town with a banana yellow Sera. I get all :swoon: every time I see it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Saw a first gen Evo this morning in Lakeland, first time I'd seen one in person.

Too bad it was beat to gently caress and had literal rust holes in it. Gonna guess he brought it down from Canada.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Saw a first gen Evo this morning in Lakeland, first time I'd seen one in person.

Too bad it was beat to gently caress and had literal rust holes in it. Gonna guess he brought it down from Canada.
No, that's pretty much what they do.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Low balled a Pulsar GTI-r last night will hear soon and another low 300 bid on an absolute cream puff Beat that goes tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That should be fun, I'd be curious to know what you got it for, if it goes through. Interestingly, they exist in LHD format also.