Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So you just buy a new piece of poo poo. It would still be cheaper in the long run than buying the real deal. If you just followed fashion trends the lifespan of a knockoff handbag would be about as much as its seasonal lifespan anyway.

Yes you have successfully agreed with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

coathat posted:

Yes you have successfully agreed with him

This isn't about loving handbag quality, it's about the sanctity of the loving brands. If you're getting bent out of shape because some Chinese industrialist is selling knockoff Gucci bags at a price point Chinese people can actually afford, then get a loving life. You're not going to overturn the state of conspicuous consumption by defending the patent rights of a First World fashion conglomerate.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*scandalized* A handbag?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This isn't about loving handbag quality, it's about the sanctity of the loving brands. If you're getting bent out of shape because some Chinese industrialist is selling knockoff Gucci bags at a price point Chinese people can actually afford, then get a loving life. You're not going to overturn the state of conspicuous consumption by defending the patent rights of a First World fashion conglomerate.

If your anti-capitalism is about violating "the sanctity of the loving brands" you are already sucked up into the machinery so far there's no hope of pulling you out.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

If your anti-capitalism is about violating "the sanctity of the loving brands" you are already sucked up into the machinery so far there's no hope of pulling you out.

Dude.

gently caress off.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I can't believe Kate Spade died for this

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

if you haven't come appreciate the goon wisdom of marxism-schadenfreudism then I don't know what to tell you lol

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
maybe chinese bootleggers aren't central to my ideology and I just think western multinationals selling products with absurd margins being undercut is a good thing

i'm not on the whole "patents are good because it increases the cost of items which leads to less consumption" train, but it's quite a take, I'll tell you that

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

patents are good because they allow nerds to throw words at one another on a dying comedy forum

they are bad for the same reason

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a convincing argument for posadism over the last few pages

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

a convincing argument for posadism over the last few pages

i enjoyed the conflation of trademarks and patents

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thug Lessons posted:

bootleg designer goods actually reinforce conspicuous consumption. No one is actually fooled when you or me buys a fake designer product, because everyone knows we never would have been able to buy it in the first place. It's out of our price range.

your opinions disgust me

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

lollontee posted:

your opinions disgust me

Good lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You are proud of the fact? That's really quite... something

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
like congratulations on trolling us all into thinking you have reallly lovely opinions on thgins and are totally not worth taking seriously or somethingthing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Friendship ended with Stalinism. Now Anarcho-Syndicalism is my friend.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjSq4HqP9Y&t=77s

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
let's all post about the kronstadt commune for the next 46 pages together as a people

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
IP theft is good
Pirating is good
Ad-blocking is good.

Resist every and all attempts to restrict intellectual property

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

as a communist, im all about market respecting and patent protecting. and furthermore may i request that we all continue the discourse in a respectful manner,

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If there is some unambiguous 'bad' in knockoffs, its that some of them are more likely to kill you, with some dangerous chemical in them, or whatever. But in many cases, they're exactly the same, because they come from the same factory.

At any rate, it just means the rules have changed. Though that might depend on what Chinese policy is to its own tech. There are plenty of countries poorer in tech than China - is it going to tolerate them bootlegging Chinese tech, or will it pull a hissy-fit? Because my assumption is 'lol nope'.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chinese textile quality has gone way up in the last couple years. I got a wool jacket from some no-name brand for this past winter and it's fantastic. Electronics failure rate is going way down too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thug Lessons posted:

I would argue that bootleg designer goods actually reinforce conspicuous consumption. No one is actually fooled when you or me buys a fake designer product, because everyone knows we never would have been able to buy it in the first place. It's out of our price range. Ripoffs just encourage people to believe in the superior quality of designer products even though everyone already knows they're a pure status symbol, an expression of the money you can spend, rather than having any unique aesthetic or practical value.

I call Chinese bootleggers shitheads because it matches my experience with extremely sketchy "small business owners" who don't give a poo poo about the law. Feel free to believe it's racism though.

sir this is a Beijing McDonalds

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wait, here's a new one: China is culturally appropriating Gucci handbags.

And, debate starts, now.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

rudatron posted:

Oh wait, here's a new one: China is culturally appropriating Gucci handbags.

And, debate starts, now.

yes and it owns

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But I was always told, by others, that cultural appropriation was bad. I never really believed it, but I was in the minority.

But now, it's good? That seems confusing.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

But I was always told, by others, that cultural appropriation was bad. I never really believed it, but I was in the minority.

im pretty sure the entire history of culture is a series of appropriations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the italians should give up noodles and go back to bread and stews

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

rudatron posted:

katy perry wearing a kimono is actually very very good, you see

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ahh, but what if:

Katy Perry, wearing a kimono, that's actually a chinese knock-off? How does the appropriation guilt get distributed?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

self unaware posted:

im pretty sure the entire history of culture is a series of appropriations

Yep. If you tell an anthropologist, or probably even a historian, that cultural appropriation is bad and must be stopped they'll laugh in your face

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

do not see what tech & patent theft has to do with cultural appropriation at all

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
Shut the gently caress up about handbags and go back to relitigating the holodomor or the red terror or some other poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

resar posted:

Shut the gently caress up about handbags and go back to relitigating the holodomor or the red terror or some other poo poo

the Holodomor was theft of Britain's famine IP

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

GalacticAcid posted:

*scandalized* A handbag?

this was a good reference

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yep. If you tell an anthropologist, or probably even a historian, that cultural appropriation is bad and must be stopped they'll laugh in your face

if you think about it we're all guilty of appropriating mesopotamian culture

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

a convincing argument for posadism over the last few decades

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/davidmirandario/status/1004512321010655233

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Larry Parrish posted:

as a communist, im all about market respecting and patent protecting. and furthermore may i request that we all continue the discourse in a respectful manner,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

do not see what tech & patent theft has to do with cultural appropriation at all

it's rudy bringing it up out of the blue because he loves to be mad about it because he sucks