Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Have him listen to the finest comedy podcasts for training. Specifically, cum town

He's been in the car while I had what a time to be alive on, but I haven't let him listen to chapo (he can't learn the truth about Syria) or cumtown (Because I don't want him doing Nick's Chinese voice).

Oh god I'm a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

TenementFunster posted:

just got the test prep poo poo for the patent bar and lol

The key to the patent bar used to be (I took it 10 years ago) doing tons of practice questions and understanding how to search the MPEP. Once I got to the exam, there were many questions (probably about 30+ or half I needed to pass) that I was able to answer, basically without reading them because they were verbatim copied from the practice questions.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Biglaw $$$ update: Simpson matched Milbank scale (plus issued summer bonuses).

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Yuns posted:

I'm in job transition now and am unemployed for a few days before I start my next job. I'm going to be doing the same thing as before.

Did you go back in-house or switch to another firm?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This is my baby. He's the best.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I retired from my post law, post poker career change and am now moving to a different, warmer island for a fourth career. I switch careers a lot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 13, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

How am I supposed to know where you claim to be from? What? Am I supposed to read people’s posts? Also. They have lawyers in Sweden?

Oh, you want a fight is that it? Huh? Well I'm a terrible fighter, so there. Now you know.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Did you go back in-house or switch to another firm?
I'm a partner and practice head at another biglaw firm now. My new firm is a better fit for my practice. Still sticking with biglaw for now. I think the only things that would tempt me to move would be a significant GC role or Article III federal judiciary (no one is going to ever nominate me for it).

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

(plus issued summer bonuses).

:goofy:

Oh I thought you meant bonuses for summer associates

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh, you want a fight is that it? Huh? Well I'm a terrible fighter, so there. Now you know.

You’re European. Of course you’re a pussy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

:goofy:

Oh I thought you meant bonuses for summer associates

Lol nah, cash for all associates at the end of June. $5,000-$25,000 based on class year. Hopefully some sort of bidding war/dick measuring will result from all of this.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol nah, cash for all associates at the end of June. $5,000-$25,000 based on class year. Hopefully some sort of bidding war/dick measuring will result from all of this.

But do you get to make people cry? I feel like no price tag can be put on that level of job satisfaction.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ActusRhesus posted:

But do you get to make people cry? I feel like no price tag can be put on that level of job satisfaction.

Fairly often. But it's just the junior associates working for me.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
All I'm willing to say about my life is that I yearn for the cold embrace of the grave.

(Every time I think about posting a work story, I envision one of you saying "wait, you're THAT rear end in a top hat?" and recognizing me and I couldn't handle world colliding like that.)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yuns posted:

I'm a partner and practice head at another biglaw firm now. My new firm is a better fit for my practice. Still sticking with biglaw for now. I think the only things that would tempt me to move would be a significant GC role or Article III federal judiciary (no one is going to ever nominate me for it).

Baby I want you to humiliate me. Without giving yourself away, are you profits per partner more than 1m?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Fairly often. But it's just the junior associates working for me.

How many binders are involved? I get the feeling the answer is “a lot”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Job interview for tomorrow canceled. They would have hired me for it, but I don't have my bar card yet :suicide:

Couple of private practice places I'm sending off application and cover letter to, but looks more and more likely that I'm taking the $15/hr job.

Here’s my cat. He turned into a puddle.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Baby I want you to humiliate me. Without giving yourself away, are you profits per partner more than 1m?
Significantly more but pls no doxx. Also remember PPP only means the average. It doesn't account for things like capital contributions or junior guys making way less than senior guys. At one of my old firms, a top rainmaker made 13m while some of the junior guys made 500k so average meant little.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 7, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Of course this hits after I leave biglaw.

On the other hand I no longer have to bill my time (and am working nowhere near biglaw hours) sooooo.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Yuns posted:

District court judge is my dream job, and I’m seriously considering applying for a magistrate judge position once I’m eligible. I probably have another 6-8 years before I could apply though.

I’m applying for AUSA positions now. Actually a little bummed because my district is hiring 4, and I thought they were hiring for enough positions that I might get an interview. That’s about the only job that could get me to leave my current firm.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Omerta posted:

District court judge is my dream job, and I’m seriously considering applying for a magistrate judge position once I’m eligible. I probably have another 6-8 years before I could apply though.

I’m applying for AUSA positions now. Actually a little bummed because my district is hiring 4, and I thought they were hiring for enough positions that I might get an interview. That’s about the only job that could get me to leave my current firm.
I hope you get that AUSA job. That's such a great learning experience and stepping stone for litigators. Most of the former AUSAs I've worked with have been very good lawyers.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ActusRhesus posted:

How many binders are involved? I get the feeling the answer is “a lot”

:cmon: legal assistants make the binders. I just ruin junior associate weekends (and my own).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

AUSA or state court judge seem like basically the best path to A3 judge. But even then you have to butter up a senator.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mikeraskol posted:

:cmon: legal assistants make the binders. I just ruin junior associate weekends (and my own).

I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone make my trial binders much less a legal assistant.

Things have to be perfect and my system is a mix of OCD and neurosis that only I can get correct.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I prefer to just wing it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I actually looked at the application form for an open magistrate judge position. The way it's very written makes it very clear that law clerks need not apply.

"How frequently have you appeared in court?"

Well, I'm *in* court 5-10 times a day, every day for the last 4 years. But I suspect that's not what you mean.

"How many cases have you tried to conclusion?"

We had 13 last year (14 if you count the one with two juries), but you'll think I didn't try them as such.

Mostly, I'd just like a spot on the bench (any bench) so I could finally enforce my draconian, "even Scalia and Thomas think's he's too literal" interpretation of the court rules.

Alaemon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 7, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Adar posted:

I retired from my post law, post poker career change and am now moving to a different, warmer island for a fourth career. I switch careers a lot.

Might as well go to the opposite end of the spectrum and move to Lesbos.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Omerta posted:

Can you move?
I kept getting hassled by the acting to apply (and I suck), but their pension sucks.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Re: trial binders.

I have an excellent paralegal who makes great binders for hearings. I can just say "these pleadings and exhibits, make a judges binder that includes all cases and statutes" and I'll have it within hours with great tabbing.

But then my secretary. She is a second career older hire, not very good with computers who wants to be a paralegal. Because I'm a kind man, I was given the job of training her. She just can't follow explicit directions. "1 copy of each, double sided, 3 hole punched, placed in 3 ring binder and tabbed alphabetically." I'll get like a redwell of stapled documents.

Re: money.

A Texas website publishes all of the salary data for every state employee (via foia request). It gets hosted about every 18 months. This week the 2017-18 edition dropped and most of the staff is livid. New hires being paid more than their trainers, etc.

I found out I'm actually overpaid compared to my class year/experience (the state of Texas does merit based raises). I like salary data being public because it let's you know how much you're valued versus your peers. And I'm only making about 5k more than my class year - a pittance compared to you private folks. But I've had one person already ask how I earn so much more.

Any advice how to tactfully address that?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"git gud, scrub"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
"they pimp my rear end out at conventions to balance the quarterly budget"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Re: trial binders.

I have an excellent paralegal who makes great binders for hearings. I can just say "these pleadings and exhibits, make a judges binder that includes all cases and statutes" and I'll have it within hours with great tabbing.

But then my secretary. She is a second career older hire, not very good with computers who wants to be a paralegal. Because I'm a kind man, I was given the job of training her. She just can't follow explicit directions. "1 copy of each, double sided, 3 hole punched, placed in 3 ring binder and tabbed alphabetically." I'll get like a redwell of stapled documents.

Re: money.

A Texas website publishes all of the salary data for every state employee (via foia request). It gets hosted about every 18 months. This week the 2017-18 edition dropped and most of the staff is livid. New hires being paid more than their trainers, etc.

I found out I'm actually overpaid compared to my class year/experience (the state of Texas does merit based raises). I like salary data being public because it let's you know how much you're valued versus your peers. And I'm only making about 5k more than my class year - a pittance compared to you private folks. But I've had one person already ask how I earn so much more.

Any advice how to tactfully address that?

Texas doesn't just pay lockstep? My salary is non-negotiable (beyond getting promoted to a higher level, but I'm at the highest I can with <10 years), but I'm also in a union, so it goes up ~10% a year, so whatever.
Unionize your office is my recommendation. We also get 5 weeks of leave.
OTO, I had to make my own binders when I was a real trial lawyer (now I have no binders).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Texas doesn't just pay lockstep? My salary is non-negotiable (beyond getting promoted to a higher level, but I'm at the highest I can with <10 years), but I'm also in a union, so it goes up ~10% a year, so whatever.
Unionize your office is my recommendation. We also get 5 weeks of leave.
OTO, I had to make my own binders when I was a real trial lawyer (now I have no binders).

No lock step. There are state equivalent of GS levels with brackets within each. So people can get paid within about a 15k range in their level. Applies to almost every state job. The objective me knows that lockstep is best to minimize disparate impact, but the subjective me lies being rewarded for the quality of my work.

I'm in a union, Texas state employees union. We can't force dues and we are banned from striking and there's no CBA. I joined anyway in solidarity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Florida pay is just published by the state directly.

https://www.floridahasarighttoknow.myflorida.com/search_state_payroll

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Alaemon posted:

Mostly, I'd just like a spot on the bench (any bench) so I could finally enforce my draconian, "even Scalia and Thomas think's he's too literal" interpretation of the court rules.

It’s always refreshing to get a judge that cares whether the parties follow the court rules. But there’s definitely a balance. I’m less of a stickler after a couple years in private practice, especially for courts that have crazy expedited rules (looking at you, ED Va) and for rules that require stupid reports or status updates to the court.

But I definitely think courts should be more willing to impose discovery sanctions. The poo poo some people try to pull is ridiculous.

nm posted:

Can you move?
I kept getting hassled by the acting to apply (and I suck), but their pension sucks.

No, my wife is in house and we both love where we live. I don’t think we’d move unless she got a ridiculously good GC offer. And I’m taking another bar in July. After that, no more bar exams.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I’ve had a few people strongly suggest I throw my name in the hat for judge. But then I’d have to actually work. I’m torn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

I’ve had a few people strongly suggest I throw my name in the hat for judge. But then I’d have to actually work. I’m torn.

Lol no you wouldn't . I've seen judges take over a year to do unimportant written decisions on simple issues