Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

ascii genitals posted:

The best is dealing with the bizarre quirks of blended systems

We run instruments that can only be controlled by Chromeleon but in a GDP environment where data can only be captured by Empower.

I'm quitting soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RadioPassive posted:

We run instruments that can only be controlled by Chromeleon but in a GDP environment where data can only be captured by Empower.

I'm quitting soon.

Do they at least all print out with that cute chromelean watermark?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

It's GDP, it's legally required to be depressing. Even if it was cool like that, I'm sure I'd be required by some obscure SOP to line-out the chameleon and footnote it with explanatory language about why it's not needed.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What is GDP? I'm unfamiliar with that term. Seen plenty of GMP, GLP, GAMP, but never GDP.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"Good Documentation Practices"

It's all the rules about proper signatures / witnessing, obscuring entries, comments, etc.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So despite having Mettler-Toledo come in and tell us exactly why bracketing daily balance checks is a waste of our time we're going to start bracketing daily balance checks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Can that lims goon pm me? I have a question!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Lyon posted:

What is GDP? I'm unfamiliar with that term. Seen plenty of GMP, GLP, GAMP, but never GDP.

We’re not manufacturing so GMP isn’t quite right. We’re quality control so we’re all about documentation and data integrity, so GDP instead.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

RadioPassive posted:

I'm quitting soon.
The lab I joined several years ago was queueing runs in Empower to run on an old Water 2695 and then capturing the data from a Viscotek detector (these were GPC runs) in whatever Viscotek's package is (I forget), exporting that data to excel, and then ignoring the excel data.

Anyway I hate Empower.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sundae posted:

"Good Documentation Practices"

It's all the rules about proper signatures / witnessing, obscuring entries, comments, etc.

RadioPassive posted:

We’re not manufacturing so GMP isn’t quite right. We’re quality control so we’re all about documentation and data integrity, so GDP instead.

Oh interesting. I have never come across a GDP lab in my several years of selling LIMS. Who is the regulatory body for GDP? Is it still the FDA? What are you testing an what type of testing are you performing that requires GDP? I am trying to search for a write up of GDP laboratories but I am mostly getting information about documentation within a GMP lab.

Mustached Demon posted:

Can that lims goon pm me? I have a question!

PMed.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I've usually heard GDP in reference to the documentation guidelines within the cGMP/GLP regs and guidance (EU/FDA/ICH). I don't think it's usually a stand alone thing, although I suppose the term could be used more generally in other labs.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So experience question, how long should I hang out in my current gig before I walk out? I just started doing HPLC work and want to take advantage of the openings it will offer but I'm pretty fed up with my current job. I was thinking 3 months but can I go sooner?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What kind of position is it? General tech level hourly? Something writh relo, etc etc?

I wouldn't go before 6 months unless it's a seriously toxic workplace, but it really depends on the position and level.

quote:

Oh interesting. I have never come across a GDP lab in my several years of selling LIMS. Who is the regulatory body for GDP? Is it still the FDA? What are you testing an what type of testing are you performing that requires GDP? I am trying to search for a write up of GDP laboratories but I am mostly getting information about documentation within a GMP lab.

The links you're finding are right -- it's the means of meeting documentation requirements within a GLP or GMP environment. It's not an individual thing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

What kind of position is it? General tech level hourly? Something writh relo, etc etc?

I wouldn't go before 6 months unless it's a seriously toxic workplace, but it really depends on the position and level..

Been here for six years in the NMR team but since that's a dead end gig I jumped to a general QC team. My boss left and the group split into two, despite making it clear I wanted a leadership position our director brought a person in from another team to lead my group. I've been here longer, know more than the new boss and have to do parts of her job to get poo poo done. She's cool at least so I'm not that upset working for her. But the getting passed over for team lead the fact we're not getting any raises this year has made me extra bitter. If I have to wait six months so be it but I'm pretty irate about how I've been treated.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Nah that's different. I thought you meant brand new to a company. No timr requirement before burning that place now, IMHO. You have six years of references to pull from at that place.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Agreed: six years is plenty. In fact you can cite the recent shift as your reason for leaving - "I've enjoyed my time at ShitzuTonka but there's been a change in focus and I felt it was a good opportunity to ..."

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Ill see how much it matters in the past my resume was tossed into the shredder for not having empower or HPLC anywhere on it so i view my time in NMR as a loss I would have to explain.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Ill see how much it matters in the past my resume was tossed into the shredder for not having empower or HPLC anywhere on it so i view my time in NMR as a loss I would have to explain.

What are you looking to do?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Shrieking Muppet posted:

All my experience in college was NMR and liquid (gravity) chromatography and I switched to GCMS for my career. It's a totally different technique but the fundamentals of chromatography and structure identification carry over at least.

Most of the people who put empower experience on their resume just know how to build a sequence or some poo poo, it's not like they're actually administrating or installing stuff. Nice experience to have, but not critical.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

What are you looking to do?

Smart rear end answer: Id like to abandon science completely and sell hotdogs from a cart

Real answer: I want to move into a group/team leader position. Because NMR is strange and wants everyone to have a PhD it wasn't possible for me from that angle so I moved to QC/HPLC. Even if I can't get into a leadership position from one of those I could moved into development at some point which is at least intellectually stimulating. For now I'm learning a lot which is actually fun even if my employer is going to hell around me, I could possibly go into instrument fixer as well since I'm good at it but it seems like a dead end job since where do you go from there?

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 7, 2018

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Smart rear end answer: Id like to abandon science completely and sell hotdogs from a cart

Real answer: I want to move into a group/team leader position. Because NMR is strange and wants everyone to have a PhD it wasn't possible for me from that angle so I moved to QC/HPLC. Even if I can't get into a leadership position from one of those I could moved into development at some point which is at least intellectually stimulating. For now I'm learning a lot which is actually fun even if my employer is going to hell around me, I could possibly go into instrument fixer as well since I'm good at it but it seems like a dead end job since where do you go from there?

Started as a field service engineer, now working in a very fulfilling job as the top level support engineer for my product---writing support documentation, helping software engineers understand what scientists actually want, helping with escalations that make it to the top. Other paths in this direction would be application engineer, or horizontal moves into sales, marketing, R&D etc.

As a field service engineer I got boat loads of training, and also exposure to lots of different companies. I've done work for basically every major pharma company, government and academic labs, little start ups, manufacturing sites etc.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ascii genitals posted:

Started as a field service engineer, now working in a very fulfilling job as the top level support engineer for my product---writing support documentation, helping software engineers understand what scientists actually want, helping with escalations that make it to the top. Other paths in this direction would be application engineer, or horizontal moves into sales, marketing, R&D etc.

As a field service engineer I got boat loads of training, and also exposure to lots of different companies. I've done work for basically every major pharma company, government and academic labs, little start ups, manufacturing sites etc.

Hmmm maybe I should consider instrument fixer more seriously

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Do you think you could interface instruments to LIMS? Basically get them connected to the network/trouble shoot any issues with software/hardware/network, determine what data needs to be transferred from the instrument to LIMS, and then map to/setup the LIMS master data.

Or would you have interest in being a business analyst? It's mostly documentation, meetings, and demoing LIMS builds to customers.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Hmmm maybe I should consider instrument fixer more seriously

I think the size of the company has a lot to do with the career path. I was FSE in a smaller product unit so we didn’t have a lot of the corporate bullshit, but there wasn’t really a developed career path either. I certainly don’t regret it even if I had to go somewhere else in the end when I got sick of traveling.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lyon posted:

Do you think you could interface instruments to LIMS? Basically get them connected to the network/trouble shoot any issues with software/hardware/network, determine what data needs to be transferred from the instrument to LIMS, and then map to/setup the LIMS master data.

Or would you have interest in being a business analyst? It's mostly documentation, meetings, and demoing LIMS builds to customers.

I would like to learn how to interface instruments with a LIMS i'm fairly good technically so i'm sure i could learn how too, however if we get our hands on your LIMS system (which was really well received btw) I might get a chance to do so. I hate paperwork and meetings, and i'm not sure how well id be in a customer pseudo sales role, if its like being a teacher I should be good at it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The organization of our paraffin blocks is so hosed, and I decided to try to file stuff because my coworker, although volunteering for the duties, has not done anything...

This is probably hours of organization because he hosed it all up. I'm... not happy. :sigh:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Found out Friday that my second HPLC run ever had perfect recovery and met the rsd requirements, which is amazing on a cad with a method known to be tricky. However half my samples had extra impurities and the other half did not, I get to redo everything again next week!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Honestly, I have no idea how to go from individual contributor to team leader. I did it through luck and being in the right place at the right time. I did work my rear end off, but that was like 20% of it and it was 80% luck.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but QC is not the way to go to be a team leader. Don't get tethered to any one technique either. Cross-train and try to solve every problem you can until you're told to gently caress off. Then apply for another slightly higher job elsewhere. I hope you're in some place with a healthy industry.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone here tried the ASCP's Lab Management University online certification thing? I'm leaning towards purchasing it so I have a little more management experience jazz to put on my resume, but if it's through the ASCP's online learning portal I'm hesitant because, well, anything online they do is trash, haha.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Reviewed slides with one of our neuropaths today and he cranked the brightness up in the scope so high I still have tracers in my vision like 15+ minutes later :suicide:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

anyone familiar with the BD Rhapsody?

I need...opinions.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My neuropathologist just rickrolled me...

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
How do I get out of Pharma CRO hell? All job's I'm qualified for on Indeed have glassdoor reviews that describe the exact dysfunctional management and ever increasing workloads and low ceilings I'm trying to get out of.

I have a bachelor's in chem and 6 years of experience as a process chemist. All the R&D positions outside of the industry have really specific qualifications like "X years in pine resin derived polymer adhesive application chemistry"

Do I just have to go into QA?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

carnassials posted:

How do I get out of Pharma CRO hell? All job's I'm qualified for on Indeed have glassdoor reviews that describe the exact dysfunctional management and ever increasing workloads and low ceilings I'm trying to get out of.

I have a bachelor's in chem and 6 years of experience as a process chemist. All the R&D positions outside of the industry have really specific qualifications like "X years in pine resin derived polymer adhesive application chemistry"

Don't forget project management!

One of our development managers moved from pharma into materials science but he was just managing development batches not in a lab dealing with poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

carnassials posted:

PM me your resume if you're willing to relocate to bay area. I know of a few chemist roles open in my company and we could talk.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

carnassials posted:

Heh. I just had a recruiter call me to talk about a job for a pine resin derived polymer adhesive application company. I'm also trying to find a gig as a process chemist for a CRO, so wow.

What geographical area are you in or trying to move to?

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

Sundae posted:

PM me your resume if you're willing to relocate to bay area. I know of a few chemist roles open in my company and we could talk.

Sundae, from reading your posts in here and the corporate topic I think it'd be cool to work with you, but... that's the one metro area that I'm adverse to. Unless, everything I've ever heard from is lies and the cost of living isn't nightmarishly high and every city 5 hours out hasn't been gentrified by tech bros

Dik Hz posted:

Heh. I just had a recruiter call me to talk about a job for a pine resin derived polymer adhesive application company. I'm also trying to find a gig as a process chemist for a CRO, so wow.

What geographical area are you in or trying to move to?
We are probably talking about the same place. :)

I'm in the southeast in the middle of nowhere SC. I'm down to move most anywhere that isn't a frozen tundra.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

carnassials posted:

Sundae, from reading your posts in here and the corporate topic I think it'd be cool to work with you, but... that's the one metro area that I'm adverse to. Unless, everything I've ever heard from is lies and the cost of living isn't nightmarishly high and every city 5 hours out hasn't been gentrified by tech bros

Nah, you've heard it correctly. It's the most expensive region in the country now. :( Just figured I'd offer if you were interested.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

carnassials posted:

We are probably talking about the same place. :)

I'm in the southeast in the middle of nowhere SC. I'm down to move most anywhere that isn't a frozen tundra.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We just had a quarterly Iab cleanup. Top discovery: a pack of soy sauce in a lab drawer that also contained an incorrectly stored bottle of sodium cyanide. :eng99: