Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

BDS struck one of it's biggest victories so far, possibly the biggest. Just fyi.

You going to let on what it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

You going to let on what it was?

I posted it yesterday but ya'll kept on Khamenei's tweet.

The Argentinian national team was supposed to play an exhibition match against the Israeli national team this saturday, the match was originally scheduled to take place in Haifa but due to the involvement of Miri Regev and other politicians it was moved to Jerusalem, according to the reports the argenitinian players told the football association that they are not down with that and that they will stay in Barcelona (where they currently train) until the world cup.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's pretty funny seeing the reaction on facebook go from 'ohmygod ohmygod messi is coming here ohmygod how's my hair' to 'pfft, fuckin' nazi antisemites who needs 'em'

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

It's pretty funny seeing the reaction on facebook go from 'ohmygod ohmygod messi is coming here ohmygod how's my hair' to 'pfft, fuckin' nazi antisemites who needs 'em'

We're the nation state equivalent of a cat-caller.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

We're the nation state equivalent of a cat-caller.

Crazy how it's the national attitude to everything. I've never seen any public forum admit that maybe someone not liking Israel is something to do with Israel and not the other party if they weren't already against the occupation. It's mind boggling and also explains a ton about Israeli culture.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Their statement didnt mince words at all, either.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That quote is probably fake. As far as I know Messi didn't make any statements concerning the cancellation.

TYCSports twitter page says nothing about it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Dutch news reports this issue as the Argentinians cancelling because of safety concerns after Messi got threatened (or "threatened", it's not clear) by a pro-Palestinian organisation which called for people to burn Messi shirts. It's not a very clear story, but it doesn't appear to be a principally anti-Israeli apartheid stance.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's a good start honestly, many people here care about football more than politics and Palestine.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was Jibril Rajoub, the head of the PA's Football Association, who called on muslim fans to burn their Messi shirts but... is that a threat on Messi's person? hardly, I think.

I think Messi and the other players just realized that they really don't need to get involved in any of this poo poo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was Jibril Rajoub, the head of the PA's Football Association, who called on muslim fans to burn their Messi shirts but... is that a threat on Messi's person? hardly, I think.

The article is really not clear if the claim is that calling on fans to burn Messi shirts is the "threat", or if there was that call and then in addition also actual threats.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

https://972mag.com/once-charged-with-killing-palestinian-teen-two-israeli-soldiers-will-walk-free/135955/

Two soldiers executed a palestinian teen, their defendant claimed selective prosecution and the court dropped the case.

That sure is something.

Now with video!. Also hebrew voiceover and subs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

The article is really not clear if the claim is that calling on fans to burn Messi shirts is the "threat", or if there was that call and then in addition also actual threats.

As always, it's especially important to keep an eye on sourcing, because this is a highly political issue that propagandists on both sides are aiming to spin for their own purposes. Most articles I've seen say say that the "threats" line came from the Israeli embassy, rather than from any Argentinan source. That seems to be the official Israeli line - the Israel Football Association is talking about "physical and brutal threats that crossed every red line", Miri Regev has called it "sports terrorism", and Avigdor Lieberman is complaining that "Argentina's footballing nobility" has bowed to anti-Semitic threats.

No non-Israeli sources seem to be backing up the that story, though, and no one's shown any proof or evidence either. And it seems as though the Israeli government is particularly frantic to spin this hard, because the prevailing perception seems to be that this was a totally avoidable situation that the government caused themselves by pushing too hard to turn the game into a political statement, and Miri Regev (who was credited as the one behind the venue change) is now putting a lot of effort into trying to deflect all the blame coming her way.

The origin of the "threats" is probably just Israel's habit of trying to delegitimize peaceful protest by insisting that it's actually dangerous threats which are merely hiding behind a cheap facade of nonviolence.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was apparently the president of the argentine FA who claimed Messi was threatened - http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-argentina-israel-soccer-20180606-story.html

Miri Regev contributed a strange statement in which she said that the cancellation of the match is born out of the same terrorism that led to the murder of the israeli athletes in Munich in 1972. Strange lady.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miftan posted:

Crazy how it's the national attitude to everything. I've never seen any public forum admit that maybe someone not liking Israel is something to do with Israel and not the other party if they weren't already against the occupation. It's mind boggling and also explains a ton about Israeli culture.

honestly from my entire time dealing with zionist/israeli relatives i feel like the best possible word to describe the culture is really really insecure

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They really do need to secure the existence of israeli hegemonia and a future of zionist children.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah nice job PR man
https://twitter.com/abgutman/status/1004673594029469696

Be sure to click the original tweet and see the fun glitchy graphics they put in the video to make her seem scary.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That video is also clearly not from the same demonstration, or from any demonstration at all for all we know, it looks like she was being filmed to a news report.

And it's a regular smoke grenade, not a tear gas canister.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They also claim she wasn't deliberately targeted, yet she was shot 2-3 times in the chest. So either she was deliberately targeted or there was a loving inescapable wall of gunfire headed that-a-ways. Either way Israel looks like poo poo.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

You'd hope trawling social media looking for something to defame a dead medic would take a sort of ethical toll on a person.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Not Operator posted:

You'd hope trawling social media looking for something to defame a dead medic would take a sort of ethical toll on a person.

It helps to shrug off ethical conflicts when you literally think you're a special holy person and the people you're killing are subhuman animals.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Not Operator posted:

You'd be underestimating the power of ideology as a tool of self-deception and delusion then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not Operator posted:

It's easier when you don't view them as human beings.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They also claim she wasn't deliberately targeted, yet she was shot 2-3 times in the chest. So either she was deliberately targeted or there was a loving inescapable wall of gunfire headed that-a-ways. Either way Israel looks like poo poo.

bullets are just an environmental hazard inside gaza. Fluke of nature kinda deal, nothing to be done about it

:(

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So weird how the Israel apologists dissspear into the walls when we're discussing the intentional murder of medical personnel.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Your Parents posted:

It helps to shrug off ethical conflicts when you literally think you're a special holy person and the people you're killing are subhuman animals.

I think a larger component is that their state has, right from birth, repeatedly told them that the rest of the world hates them and will lie and do anything to make them look bad. Similar upbringing as during Apartheid SA.

When that mentality has been drilled into you, framing a dead medic becomes "settling the score", denouncing parents whos' child has just died becomes "fighting propaganda". Necessary evils to combat (in their minds) a global conspiracy against jews and their rightful homeland.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nah, they have agency, they're not idiots. If you're a twenty-something and fervently defend your country doing this stuff, you're doing so willfully and shouldn't get to hide behind the childhood you had or the state propaganda you were fed. At that point you're just an rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

So weird how the Israel apologists dissspear into the walls when we're discussing the intentional murder of medical personnel.

Well you see, it was not technically a sniper rifle because the lower receiver has...

:suicide:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

Nah, they have agency, they're not idiots. If you're a twenty-something and fervently defend your country doing this stuff, you're doing so willfully and shouldn't get to hide behind the childhood you had or the state propaganda you were fed. At that point you're just an rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat.

The propaganda is woven into literally every aspect of daily life and Israel is absolutely poo poo at critical thinking skills. It doesn't excuse it, but it's not that easy to break out of.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

How do you do that when every authority figure in your life has told you that outsiders will do anything they can to lead you astray and harm you?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not Operator posted:

When you've already convinced yourself that an unarmed protester is actually a dangerous terrorist who poses an existential threat to your state and needs to be put down with lethal force, it's not difficult at all to extend that same justification to the medic who tries to save that protester's life. Hell, the Israeli far right already openly cheers the shooting of women and children, saying that it's fine since the kids would just grow up to be enemy soldiers anyway.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

We might almost have to take them seriously if they were willing to draw a clear line and condemn Israel whenever it steps over that line.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Good Lord

https://twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson/status/1004671844501385216?s=20

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm just going to assume they are intentionally mistranslating here, right?

It would be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
No dude, it really is tear gas, that's why nobody's coughing etc. God, that twitter thread.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I hear Hamas makes them huff tear gas to build up a tolerance.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Technically smoke is a gas and a faceful of smoke might make your eyes tear, ergo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Not Operator posted:

I hear Hamas makes them huff tear gas to build up a tolerance.

The IDF used to expose you to tear gas in basic training until a year after I was discharged ''so you know what it feels like''

What's the correct translation of that video?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Miftan posted:

What's the correct translation of that video?

Yeah, I'm curious too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
She used the word 'bsharee' which means shield. Don't know about the rest. And it could have meant anything in context (I don't mean the word could have meant anything but the context in which it used could have meant something different to the meaning being impuned by the Attack Bastards).

But so what in any case. What they've done is shoot dead a clearly identified medic treating people who by the very fact that they were being treated medically means they were not being a threat. That is a criminal act.

They're also using the hamas word as a bogeyman - that's alright then - say hamas made them do it and the Daily Heil's legions will go 'that's alright then she deserved to die' (you know all those people who chant 'hamas and hezbollah' without checking that actually the UK does NOT recognize the political wings of either as terror groups).

I see they have exonerated themselves 'they were shooting generally not aiming at her' according to haaretz.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israeli-army-video-shows-killed-gaza-medic-throwing-gas-canister-1.6156535

So much for their precision control that they're always boasting about.