Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I think a better way to look at it is that the dead creature found with the MUTO cocoon at the beginning is Godzilla's mate, thereby giving him and Cranston the same exact quest of revenge and linking them thematically.

This is supported by all three of these identifying with each other for a second towards the end. We get the human realizing the MUTOs have no malice and are just trying to get their children to survive like he is, and then the awesome shot where him and Godzilla are on the same level for a bit and briefly make eye contact right after.

Like the movie doesn't have magic shrinking twins telepathically explaining to how how Godzilla is doing but they really got a lot of personality out of him in 14 to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
All Monsters Attack rules

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't recall the latter tbh.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4303507.html

Honestly this whole bit is pretty terrible

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4303507.html

Honestly this whole bit is pretty terrible

Oh, haha. The Vertigo funeral issue. 2 things here: it's really funny to see a sensible conversation on scans_daily. Also, Ellis isn't a great writer, but I really appreciate the way he and other similar writers approached comic books as if they could simply say what they felt like, rather than pretending they're writing for a prestige TV drama or movie series pitch. I mean, what he wants to say is just...right there, there's no two ways about it. It's dated, stupid, biased, whatever else, Ellis was well known for just infodumping whatever he read in Omni and thought was interesting, but it's way better than the sitcom writing you get from a typical superhero comic.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh, haha. The Vertigo funeral issue. 2 things here: it's really funny to see a sensible conversation on scans_daily. Also, Ellis isn't a great writer, but I really appreciate the way he and other similar writers approached comic books as if they could simply say what they felt like, rather than pretending they're writing for a prestige TV drama or movie series pitch. I mean, what he wants to say is just...right there, there's no two ways about it. It's dated, stupid, biased, whatever else, Ellis was well known for just infodumping whatever he read in Omni and thought was interesting, but it's way better than the sitcom writing you get from a typical superhero comic.

I was just marveling at how good the conversation is in the comments there. And yeah I don’t really mind his tendency to have characters monologue his opinions per se, I appreciate that forthrightness a lot. this is just such a putrid take, letting Reagan and honestly even Thatcher off the hook for being vampiric scum

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's just British chauvinism rearing its head, it's easy to forget that Americans aren't the only self-centered and exceptionalist people in the world.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It does! It's primarily this well done portrait of a sad and lonely kid living in a bleak urban environment. That scene near the end with the mother crying was brutal. It's also one of Honda's favorites.

It also transitions very well into Godzilla vs Hedorah, with both focusing on environmental concerns to different degrees and having Godzilla effectively summoned from a child's dreams.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish that Godzilla 14 had ended similar to destroyah with Godzilla's son (or in this case the main man himself) rising from the dead by absorbing the radioactive fallout to get his energy back. Even if a nuclear blast over water wouldn't be as bad as one on land the entire coastline around San Francisco would be hosed without Godzilla sucking up all the dangerous fallout.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do wish that Godzilla 14 had ended similar to destroyah with Godzilla's son (or in this case the main man himself) rising from the dead by absorbing the radioactive fallout to get his energy back. Even if a nuclear blast over water wouldn't be as bad as one on land the entire coastline around San Francisco would be hosed without Godzilla sucking up all the dangerous fallout.

See, I assumed that's what actually happened, and I wouldn't be surprised if shots where that was mentioned ended up on the cutting room floor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/narcokitty404/status/1003064872731578368

I very much like the idea of Godzilla's career path being a lot like Elvis' and he's just in a lot of 60s beach movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I very much like the idea of Godzilla's career path being a lot like Elvis' and he's just in a lot of 60s beach movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the Ultraman TV shows does the toy selling thing where instead of killing or pushing back monster attacks they shrink them down (into toys you can buy in stores today!!!!!) and put them in stasis until such a time that humans and monsters from other planets can live in peace together. Anyway I just like there are some not much larger than human sized monsters in a few episodes that are retired from the whole planet invading thing and they just have an apartment in some Tokyo suburb and run a local soccer club or something.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Seconded!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's just British chauvinism rearing its head, it's easy to forget that Americans aren't the only self-centered and exceptionalist people in the world.

That’s interesting, I was thinking more like the little brother syndrome they’ve developed thanks to the Special Relationship, he comes off like he’s just begging American readers to acknowledge Britain had it worse

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

That’s interesting, I was thinking more like the little brother syndrome they’ve developed thanks to the Special Relationship, he comes off like he’s just begging American readers to acknowledge Britain had it worse

You could definitely read it that way, but I'm always reminded of that quote about British colonialism (paraphrased): "always remind them they are being ruled by mediocrities." American exceptionalism is bombastic, loud, and proudly ignorant, British exceptionalism is boring, wry and falsely humble.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Possible King Ghidorah and Mothra solo movies

It kind of sounds like Legendary's monsterverse will be done after Godzilla vs King Kong?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It makes sense, since that movie's entirely why the MonsterVerse even exists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

It makes sense, since that movie's entirely why the MonsterVerse even exists.

Well I was thinking we might get a solo sequel for each of them, but yea I don't think anyone was expecting a full cinematic universe ala Marvel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Has there ever been a solo King Ghidorah movie, or has he only ever been a Godzilla villain?

A kaiju movie where the kaiju isn't a force of nature, a manifestation of vengeance and anger, or a misunderstood good guy, and is just straight-up Giant Monster Satan sounds like fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Well I was thinking we might get a solo sequel for each of them, but yea I don't think anyone was expecting a full cinematic universe ala Marvel.

And King of the Monsters is gonna have Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah, which are kinda the three kaiju you pick if you're gonna pick any non-G Toho kaiju. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if MechaGodzilla was in vs Kong, then you'd have all your iconic Toho bases covered.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Has there ever been a solo King Ghidorah movie, or has he only ever been a Godzilla villain?

A kaiju movie where the kaiju isn't a force of nature, a manifestation of vengeance and anger, or a misunderstood good guy, and is just straight-up Giant Monster Satan sounds like fun.

Not just a Godzilla villain

Like his first movie is titled after himself, and it's the first BIG crossover movie Toho does. Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra are all brought out of the woodwork and Ghidorah easily holds his own. This is important because each of them had their own solo movies, and of course Godzilla VS Mothra was released just earlier the same year Ghidorah was released in.

So what I'm trying to say is, Ghidorah could loving own his own movie

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Half the time I forget Godzilla is in Invasion of Astro-Monster

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

They better do caterpillar Mothra with Rodan since moth...ra is kind of redundant with the better flyer right next to it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Darko posted:

They better do caterpillar Mothra with Rodan since moth...ra is kind of redundant with the better flyer right next to it.

Full grown Mothra, so the two could have a badass in air fight.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pyswagoras posted:

Possible King Ghidorah and Mothra solo movies

It kind of sounds like Legendary's monsterverse will be done after Godzilla vs King Kong?

I don't know whether to feel crushing disappointment for what could have been, or childlike glee for what's to come

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why is king ghidorah getting a solo movie when he/shes a bad guy. Who would the antagonist even be? Space godzilla?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean a solo movie as in he's the one monster Godzilla fights? That's hardly anything new, his debut film is even called Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

Why is king ghidorah getting a solo movie when he/shes a bad guy. Who would the antagonist even be? Space godzilla?

Maybe ghidorah is the antagonist and it's just a regular people vs. kaiju film?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe ghidorah is the antagonist and it's just a regular people vs. kaiju film?

I actually wouldn't at all mind regarding Shin Godzilla if instead of it getting a sequel it gets one-off flicks with the different monsters where each one is critical of some aspect of humanity or another.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He was the villain in at least a few of the late-90s Mothra trilogy movies.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Half the time I forget Godzilla is in Invasion of Astro-Monster

I like to think of it as a 60s Alien invasion movies with cameos by Godzilla and friends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder what angle they could go with Legendary Ghidorah. Conjoined triplets? The more nature oriented themes lend themselves to some fun ideas, though I'd be extra impressed if they went all out 'wait, this thing can't even be from Earth'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder what angle they could go with Legendary Ghidorah. Conjoined triplets? The more nature oriented themes lend themselves to some fun ideas, though I'd be extra impressed if they went all out 'wait, this thing can't even be from Earth'

Dunno, all that's been established so far is that Ghidorah was frozen under the ice in Antarctica and scared the bajeezus out of the Monarch research team that found him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Dunno, all that's been established so far is that Ghidorah was frozen under the ice in Antarctica and scared the bajeezus out of the Monarch research team that found him.

What was this from? A post-credits sequence or something?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It comes from the Legendary Godzilla/Monarch social media timeline

Note that there is allusions to other monsters besides the 6 types we know of.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I had no idea this existed. And, as cool as the Halo trailer was, this was even better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Choco1980 posted:

It comes from the Legendary Godzilla/Monarch social media timeline

Note that there is allusions to other monsters besides the 6 types we know of.

Still interesting that the earliest is basically a theory that The Great London Smog was caused by something other than (though possibly attracted by) plain ol industrial pollution. (Hedorah?)

Though I like the idea that Ghidorah is a freak even by Kaiju standards, too weird to live, too rare to die, and monstrous even by Kaiju standards as a result. (not living in an accepting society for conjoined triplets, sadly)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 9, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if they intend to go full Lovecraft with King Gidorah and Dr. Graham.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wonder if they intend to go full Lovecraft with King Gidorah and Dr. Graham.

I think they absolutely have to go full horror with King Ghidorah, just to differentiate him from Rodan and Mothra (one of whom will probably get smoked early on in King of the Monsters). He'll be presented as an unstoppable force that will just wreck any and all poo poo in sight for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

I think they absolutely have to go full horror with King Ghidorah, just to differentiate him from Rodan and Mothra (one of whom will probably get smoked early on in King of the Monsters). He'll be presented as an unstoppable force that will just wreck any and all poo poo in sight for shits and giggles.

If they kill Mothra, I swear.... I'll sing the dang fairy song.