Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
He's also pretty good on free kicks and corners.

Don't see why they wouldn't sign him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bea Nanner posted:

Papastathopoulos shouldn't be far behind, according to his father (and the Greek coach).

I did not know noted Big Bird Yer Mam had signed for Arsenal

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

Valencia fell apart in the second half last season, I think he'll see a big drop in starts.

I'm honestly so confused why commentators don't constantly point out his debilitating right-footedness. He killed momentum so often by simply not being able to go left without a 270-degree turn or outside-foot pass.

Valencia has done more with his left this season than any other, including if I recall, a decent goal. He's still maddening with how he stops and cuts inside so often, but that's more noticeable now because he hasn't got the same pace to burn a full back and get a cross in anymore, so he does it more often.

He had a poor second half to the season, but he's getting on now, playing 90 minutes every week at wingback with no one else covering is loving knackering. Even in a 4-3-3 he was expected to provide the width on the right.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It was insanely frustrating to watch him grind those rare moments of momentum to a halt standing 18 yards from the touchline near the side just flicking his right leg then passing directly backwards. Since the flick and run isn't really much of a threat anymore, he's only useful when the opposing back is slow. Which is basically never.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I just found out Jose plays for Brighton and also is Columbian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Izquierdo_(footballer,_born_1992)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ninpo posted:

He had a poor second half to the season, but he's getting on now, playing 90 minutes every week at wingback with no one else covering is loving knackering. Even in a 4-3-3 he was expected to provide the width on the right.

Add in that he had the glacially slow Juan Mata starting in front of him for a lot of the season.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

tarbrush posted:

Wonder if it's a ploy to get Lyon to move on Fekir. Can't see us signing two more central attackers

Shaqiri plays as a winger in his national team

Liverpool should move quickly because his price is gonna blow up when Switzerland destroy Brazil 8 - 1

poty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Shaqiri is awesome and I also can't believe hes only 26. If he is willing to play as part of a rotation instead of a nailed on starter, then he is a total bargain at 12m. We had to bring in a still getting fit Lallana for Salah in the CL final and the team really needs depth for that attacking front. I would hope this is in addition to Fekir rather than in place - there should be plenty of games for both.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Shaqiri is also good in the 10 position, as I said, I don't think Liverpool are really stacked there tbh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wengy posted:

Shaqiri is also good in the 10 position, as I said, I don't think Liverpool are really stacked there tbh

I don't think Liverpool really play with a 10 right now, but I can't tell if that's because Coutinho left and Lallana was injured and Klopp didn't trust anyone else to play that role, or if it's because his 4-3-3 doesn't have an attacking midfielder because the front three don't need one and the defence needs the help of three more defensive-minded midfielders.

Like, could Shaqiri do the kind of box-to-box thing that Ox and Wijnaldum were doing last season?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I don't think Liverpool really play with a 10 right now, but I can't tell if that's because Coutinho left and Lallana was injured and Klopp didn't trust anyone else to play that role, or if it's because his 4-3-3 doesn't have an attacking midfielder because the front three don't need one and the defence needs the help of three more defensive-minded midfielders.

Like, could Shaqiri do the kind of box-to-box thing that Ox and Wijnaldum were doing last season?

I'm not sure he'd be effective in that role; he'd definitely have the stamina, but I don't think the Ox/Wijnaldum position would really play to his strengths. But who knows. In any case, he'd give you an option for those times you might want some added creativity in front of the deeper central midfielders (and a mean free kick / corner taker), and he'd do well on both wings.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Apparently Felipe Anderson has been pushing for a move to West Ham and Lazio are prepared to let him go. Which is a weird sentence to type

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wengy posted:

I'm not sure he'd be effective in that role; he'd definitely have the stamina, but I don't think the Ox/Wijnaldum position would really play to his strengths. But who knows. In any case, he'd give you an option for those times you might want some added creativity in front of the deeper central midfielders (and a mean free kick / corner taker), and he'd do well on both wings.

That's cool, I'd be happy with him signing for the relatively cheap fee that's being said in the media. Seems like a solid depth signing and if Liverpool are planning another season with long cup runs we could really use the depth.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Apparently Felipe Anderson has been pushing for a move to West Ham and Lazio are prepared to let him go. Which is a weird sentence to type

Some players are so desperate for a Premier League move because they keep hearing it's just "better" they don't have any idea that, for example, Lazio might be a better team than West Ham. This is how you end up with a shitload of French players at Newcastle or Aston Villa, right before they got relegated and are in the mess they're in.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jason Sextro posted:

Some players are so desperate for a Premier League move because they keep hearing it's just "better" they don't have any idea that, for example, Lazio might be a better team than West Ham. This is how you end up with a shitload of French players at Newcastle or Aston Villa, right before they got relegated and are in the mess they're in.

West Ham will probably pay a lot more than Lazio and it's a bigger "shop window" if that's what a player wants. Look at Payet, his fee more than doubled when he went back to the same club at 29.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

That and they'll probably double or triple their wages.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

vyelkin posted:

That's cool, I'd be happy with him signing for the relatively cheap fee that's being said in the media. Seems like a solid depth signing and if Liverpool are planning another season with long cup runs we could really use the depth.

The only minor downside is it would completely shut off the development path for Wilson, Ojo and our general assortment of promising attackers.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
They're not ready for a big role yet.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There are rumours that Liverpool is interested in Moses Simon and want to pay 10 million pounds for him.
I'll drop him off at your club myself if that is true :)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tarbrush posted:

The only minor downside is it would completely shut off the development path for Wilson, Ojo and our general assortment of promising attackers.

Ok Arsene

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

That and they'll probably double or triple their wages.

The wages thing is likely true, yeah. I just wonder if West Ham is really a higher-profile stage than Lazio? It's true for Payet, but that was a couple years ago, when they had qualified for the Europa League and seen as a team on the rise. They've just come off a terrible season with David Moyes where they narrowly avoided relegation. All I'm saying is that the Premier League is generally a high-profile move but I don't believe it's universally true in every case. I'm sure he'll be paid much better though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Lazio would sell Jews to the Nazis (they probably did actually) for wholesale prices. Lotito has never blocked any transfer request, and the price is always lower than it should be. He's a terrible president.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

The wages thing is likely true, yeah. I just wonder if West Ham is really a higher-profile stage than Lazio? It's true for Payet, but that was a couple years ago, when they had qualified for the Europa League and seen as a team on the rise. They've just come off a terrible season with David Moyes where they narrowly avoided relegation. All I'm saying is that the Premier League is generally a high-profile move but I don't believe it's universally true in every case. I'm sure he'll be paid much better though.

I think appointing Pellegrini helped as well. He's a high profile manager with a long history of success. There's no way this transfer would even be mentioned if West Ham kept Moyes

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

tarbrush posted:

We've always got a few highly rated youngsters, but there's only a tiny percentage of them that are ever good enough. There have been a few more in recent years, but I wouldn't like to see the club not signing players to allow untested kids playing time. That being said, I would like to see the club not sign Shaqiri, because I don't like him.

Jason Sextro posted:

The wages thing is likely true, yeah. I just wonder if West Ham is really a higher-profile stage than Lazio?

I would say so, yeah. If Lazio had made the Champions League then maybe, but there are far more people watching the Premier League than Serie A.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I think appointing Pellegrini helped as well. He's a high profile manager with a long history of success. There's no way this transfer would even be mentioned if West Ham kept Moyes

thats because moyes would want some poo poo british player who "knows the league"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Melissa Reddy says Liverpool should finalize a deal for Nabil Fekir by the end of the weekend for roughly £60 million.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
in my head i always say "nibble fucker" so i'm just going to keep that up probably

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

vyelkin posted:

and if Liverpool are planning another season with long cup runs we could really use the depth.

Liverpool played three other matches outside of Champs/Prem this season. Yes, I know they made it to the finals, but "long cup runs" is quite a statement. Chelsea played more matches this season.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/1004773695108370433
Cool. No brainier decision, but cool.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

€40m for that turd lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Liverpool played three other matches outside of Champs/Prem this season. Yes, I know they made it to the finals, but "long cup runs" is quite a statement. Chelsea played more matches this season.

despite going out of the domestic cups early our squad was still in absolute bits at the end. we really need more depth and it was very evident at the end of the season.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

ephex posted:

€40m for that turd lol

Turn on your monitor!!!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Liverpool's winger depth is appallingly bad and they got really really lucky that mane and salah stayed as healthy as they did all season because no one behind those two scares anyone

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Newly promoted Serie A side Parma are lining up a move for Stoke's former England striker Peter Crouch, 37. (Calciomercato via Talksport)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Blue Star Error posted:

Newly promoted Serie A side Parma are lining up a move for Stoke's former England striker Peter Crouch, 37. (Calciomercato via Talksport)

Pls be true

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

:bisonyes:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

trem_two posted:

Pls be true

Italians do love asparagus

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Deal agreed for Fekir, set for a medical tomorrow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm jealous of teams actually signing players apparently benitez is refusing to sign a contract without proof he'll be backed with transfers while Newcastle aren't signing anyone until he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal have supposedly completed the signing of notes bad defender Sokratis [ridiculously Greek last name]

• Locked thread