Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here's nice ones
https://www.tanihata.co.jp/products/shouji.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

I love how this article acts like it's Fixer Upper ending that's making this stuff go out of style, instead of everyone just getting sick after a half a decade of it. Still, I guess it's the end of an era of sorts.

*plays amazing grace on bagpipes*

more like half a hour

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

PRADA SLUT posted:

also, open floor plans won't die out, but they'll move out of the "suburban moms who watch house flippers and anchor their existence on pinterest boards" and back into just being the "bicycling dink yuppies in downtown highrises"

also, shiplap, nautical themes, barn doors, damask patterns, word art, are all turd designs and I welcome their deathknell

next can we get rid of obnoxious oversized brown leather dadchairs for MANLY sitting in the MAN office with MASCULINE mahogany veneer desks

Not that I disagree with you but you do own an eames chair

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

there wolf posted:

*plays amazing grace on bagpipes*

*Shiplap shiplap shiplap*

That's the sound my asscheeks make when I'm making my fatass clap.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
McMansion Hell retweeted my thread on the bathroom renos so now your work is famous, BeatMastrJ.

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1004361210387574785?s=19

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Lain Iwakura posted:

McMansion Hell retweeted my thread on the bathroom renos so now your work is famous, BeatMastrJ.

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1004361210387574785?s=19

Well since neither of you know how to spell my screen name, all that fame is for naught since no one will know who I am.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well since neither of you know how to spell my screen name, all that fame is for naught since no one will know who I am.

Sad.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

Fixed that for you!

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1004589255853686786

Also there's only one of me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bEatmstrJ posted:

So how was it fixed in the end?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Everyone stop giving him the attention he so desperately craves until he posts pictures of the finished bathroom.

There... is a finished bathroom, I'm assuming.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Parasol Prophet posted:

Everyone stop giving him the attention he so desperately craves until he posts pictures of the finished bathroom.

There... is a finished bathroom, I'm assuming.

yes, I’m going for a ... minimalist aesthetic

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Tag yourself, I'm the part where he says the bathroom will be "perfect for women" and then hysterically backpedals the second he's corrected by actual women about having preferred the original bathroom.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the part where he says the bathroom will be "perfect for women" and then hysterically backpedals the second he's corrected by actual women about having preferred the original bathroom.

No, no, not women.

Females

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

No, no, not women.

Females

poo poo, you're right. #biofax

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

yes, I’m going for a ... minimalist aesthetic

The ultimate in minimalism is when you've burned the house to the ground, right?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I find the idea of giant separate sinks on opposite sides of the room such that you don't even need to look at your spouse, shielded from contact with each other via a gigantic tub delineating the demilitarized void between you, yet have an enormous mirror to flood your vision with your own visage to be an apt reflection of married life in suburban america

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I find the idea of giant separate sinks on opposite sides of the room such that you don't even need to look at your spouse, shielded from contact with each other via a gigantic tub delineating the demilitarized void between you, yet have an enormous mirror to flood your vision with your own visage to be an apt reflection of married life in suburban america

Stop ripping off Mcmansion Hell's shtick. (but seriously the duel vanity =relationship level joke never gets old)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
oh wait sorry let me fix it

his and hers sink level: groverhaus after ernie won’t stop eating cookies in bed

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

So how was it fixed in the end?

Duct tape and superglue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Duct tape and superglue.

Pretend I laughed. Seriously though, what remedial work took place? Sistered joists? Some manufacturer approved splice repair method?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I like the part where she dunked you on Twitter for 300 likes and a further 100 retweets.

You're a cautionary tale, bassmaster!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I’m sorry, I can’t get over your claim that “women play an unfair role in the home-buying process.” Like a wife is a glorified family pet who should have no more say in where she lives than the dog does, and not a human being and her husband’s equal life partner.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like the part where she dunked you on Twitter for 300 likes and a further 100 retweets.

You're a cautionary tale, bassmaster!

Good for her. All those likes will add up to something someday, i'm sure of it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bEatmstrJ posted:

Good for her. All those likes will add up to something someday, i'm sure of it.

Not here to dunk on you, bEatmstrJ, as an engineer (EE, though) I'd like to hear how things turned out with your project.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm curious about the mildew rock concerns or if everyone was off-base on that.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My sister in law (a molecular biologist) gave him (through me) some ideas about how to test before the renovation, he started the stufyy, and the thread got closed before we saw the results. Iirc she wasn't sure if it would be a problem.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question how did they fix the floor?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He has thus far refused to tell us, which probably does not bode well.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Too proud to admit he was wrong, hes right about to drop a hint we are all getting strung along I can feel it

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

He has thus far refused to tell us, which probably does not bode well.

It's this.

Dude's so busy telling us how dumb and petty we are he can't be bothered to tell us how it turned out okay despite the community's misgivings.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He told us it got fixed, and before he left the last time he told us how much it was going to cost. I'm sure everything is done and up to code because he had to hire someone to finish it. It probably looks nice enough, and I'm sure it's functional.

But beat master J, you gotta not take it so hard. You did something dumb that cost you tens of thousands of dollars. You're gonna get poked at for that, and then you kindof went off the rails with poo poo. I mean, you gotta see how you brought a good chunk of that on yourself.

But I do know some people would like to see specifically what was done to repair your joists.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Without pictures demonstrating otherwise, I’ll put :10bux: on: he quietly slapped some material in there sistered to the face of the joists, closed it up, is pretending nothing ever happened, and will continue to do so right through the sale of the property some day in the future.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bad Munki posted:

Without pictures demonstrating otherwise, I’ll put :10bux: on: he quietly slapped some material in there sistered to the face of the joists, closed it up, is pretending nothing ever happened, and will continue to do so right through the sale of the property some day in the future.

Or until someone fills the tub and discovers the mold rocks aren't load bearing.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Call it semantics if you want, but I'd like to clear something up.

Many of you are asking how the "mistake" was "fixed", or some variant. The short version is: there was no mistake to fix.

Now I will preface by saying that I was very naive in my understanding of joist physics and the potential dangers I imparted upon my home by cutting them. Although much of the feedback from this forum was not constructive in the least, I won't deny that without the concern of many of you, my project might have had a much less safe ending for me or my future home buyers. So for that, I thank you.

That being said, unless my rudimentary understanding of science is completely flawed, if you want to put something in the ground, you have to dig a hole. As far as I know, there's no way around that. If, in the process of digging that hole I happen to break a gas line, well, that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. But alas, no gas lines were broken.

My design called for a sunken bathtub and that's what I got. Whether it was me or the contractor, those joists were getting cut regardless, so really I just saved them some time (naively).

You can all rest assured that my design was executed appropriately by a licensed contractor, who worked with a structural engineer to develop a solution to fit my goal. The city inspector then came by and signed off on it.

The joists are still just as cut as they were a year ago.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That is a lot of words to say you cut the joists because you think a sunken rock-surrounded tub is good and cool. That's all been covered at excruciating length already.

bEatmstrJ posted:

You can all rest assured that my design was executed appropriately by a licensed contractor, who worked with a structural engineer to develop a solution to fit my goal.
This is what everyone's asking about. People want to know what the solution was, not how xtreme and kickin rad your rock moat is.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm just here for pictures, because I want to know if he actually got away from the "100% designed for females" red-and-black, hard-edges-only aesthetic.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh good, he's back to gently caress up more bathrooms

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK I retract my "let's not do another round of dunking" position, that is some stellar corkscrew logic to avoid admitting ya hosed up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm glad it got sorted out professionally and I would like to see a photo and/or sketch of expectations vs result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bEatmstrJ posted:

Many of you are asking how the "mistake" was "fixed", or some variant. The short version is: there was no mistake to fix.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Now I will preface by saying that I was very naive in my understanding of joist physics and the potential dangers I imparted upon my home by cutting them.

That was your mistake, you insufferable prat. Jesus, you really do deserve whatever mockery the internet has thrust upon you.