Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zedd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzQMNxee_wg&t=259s
Reminder: The guy cleaving his opponent in half is supposed to be the hero.

Did... did he just earnestly quip, "Honor. To the end." after literally stabbing someone in the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I cannot fathom why they wouldn't be shouting, "Original Score by Thom Yorke" from every possible rooftop but hey

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing Amazon ain't contributing much to the poster fund.
With the letters in different colours, the logo looks like a Spike Lee joint.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I haven’t watched Preacher since the thrid episode of season one. Is it worth watching or no?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KinkyJohn posted:

I haven’t watched Preacher since the thrid episode of season one. Is it worth watching or no?

I think it drags a bit in the second season but Herr Starr is loving fanatical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmAuiJ-lxY

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Zedd posted:

The gently caress is up with that aspect ratio? This is hurting my brain to look at.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cycling between IMAX and regular.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Last Knight did even more of that. I doubt anyone analyzed the actual movie, but the trailer used eight ratios.
https://imgur.com/r/movies/XjhBCtN

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Taintrunner posted:

I think it drags a bit in the second season but Herr Starr is loving fanatical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmAuiJ-lxY

Yeah, I love the adventures of Prince Ludwig the Indestructible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY41eD4lS28

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Did... did he just earnestly quip, "Honor. To the end." after literally stabbing someone in the back?

One of the earlier movies also had a sequence where he had his life saved by his former nemesis, who suggests a truce to defeat a greater evil. And then right afterwards he just outright murders that nemesis in cold blood, in a ludicrously graphic fashion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRap3nust0E&t=503s

These movies have a very weird outlook on their "heroic" protagonist.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wait they remade suspiria what the hell

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Perestroika posted:

And then right afterwards he just outright murders that nemesis in cold blood, in a ludicrously graphic fashion:

These movies have a very weird outlook on their "heroic" protagonist.

And then executes an old/dying/begging man by shooting him in the head as he crawls across the floor. It's all a bit weird.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you haven't seen the Bay Transformers movie you really, really should because they're loving insanely awesome in how they make absolutely no effort in painting Optimus as anything other than a psychopathic murdering monster. It's pretty great.

Like the very first thing he does when he meets his creator is attack her with a sword and yell "I'll kill you!"

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 7, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It works best as a slow build towards how truly despicable Optimus Prime becomes in 3 and 4, but I can't in good conscience recommend Revenge of the Fallen to anyone.

Dark of the Moon is really good though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Optimus is legit cruel and psychopathic at times in the live action movies, it's up for debate how much of that is intentional and mow much is it them just making him do "cool stuff" and not thinking how it starts to add up. The dude is obsessed with his weapons in DotM and he 90% of the time does something to the enemies face.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Michael Bay is the perfect fit for Transformers because he has the gleeful, hyperactive sociopathy of a young boy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you haven't seen the Bay Transformers movie you really, really should because they're loving insanely awesome in how they make absolutely no effort in painting Optimus as anything other than a psychopathic murdering monster. It's pretty great.

My pet theory is that the Transformers series was designed as a social experiment to see just how unappealing you can make a hero before the audience stops supporting him. They apparently haven't reached the breakpoint yet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Samuel Clemens posted:

My pet theory is that the Transformers series was designed as a social experiment to see just how unappealing you can make a hero before the audience stops supporting him. They apparently haven't reached the breakpoint yet.

I would make the argument the audience just generally doesn’t know what’s going on with all the swirling metal. He could be evil or good gently caress if I know

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

"Transformers Age of Extinction" also features one of the heroic Autobots encountering a caged alien on a spaceship. He taunts it, it spits in his face, he shoots its head off and calls its corpse a "bitch." The entire movie is a Super Bowl commercial for despair.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Liberal Idiot posted:

"Transformers Age of Extinction" also features one of the heroic Autobots encountering a caged alien on a spaceship. He taunts it, it spits in his face, he shoots its head off and calls its corpse a "bitch."

This is 100% true, fyi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6b-EeOqxE&t=145s

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zedd posted:

Optimus is legit cruel and psychopathic at times in the live action movies, it's up for debate how much of that is intentional and mow much is it them just making him do "cool stuff" and not thinking how it starts to add up. The dude is obsessed with his weapons in DotM and he 90% of the time does something to the enemies face.

Well Bay has said that Optimus reflects modern America. And Bay made Pain and Gain. I'd guess it's intentional.

The dude whose come closest to defeated Optimus had his face turn into a giant gun.

They know what they are doing.

Optimus and Sam were both brought back wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

Well Bay has said that Optimus reflects modern America. And Bay made Pain and Gain. I'd guess it's intentional.

It's incredible that there's any confusion about this, Bay's Optimus is a Marshall Law-type lunatic, screaming about freedom and saluting the flag while he splits someone from rear end in a top hat to appetite with a gigantic sword.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

KinkyJohn posted:

It really isn't. I stuck through two seasons almost entirely on the strength of the crazy frantic pilot but the show itself is astoundingly boring and loves to squander a great cast and some cool ideas on a bunch of wheel-spinning interpersonal drama.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wow, can't say I've ever in my life been grossed out by eyelashes before.

That's some loving meaty eyelid, right there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's incredible that there's any confusion about this, Bay's Optimus is a Marshall Law-type lunatic, screaming about freedom and saluting the flag while he splits someone from rear end in a top hat to appetite with a gigantic sword.

I can’t tell if you meant martial law or the dude from Tekken.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One L in Marshal

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

One L in Marshal

Gah!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I hosed it up, as you can see. (Everybody read Marshal Law)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zedd posted:

It always reminds of a Robot Chicken sketch where Prime has to get his prostate checked. They asked Peter Cullen to voice him, but he turned it down because he thought the sketch "dishonored" the character. And then he does these films.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Zedd posted:

I wonder if this scene would play out the same in a Bay movie.

I'm kinda disappointed that the live action Transfomers movies have been such whirling garbage that I don't think any kids will enjoy the old movie. Yeah, it's a kids movie, and yeah there are plenty of scenes in it that you could show and say "heh, you call THIS good?", but I'd still argue it's a pretty well put together kids movie and a pretty drat good bit of animation (except by the end since they ran out of time and money :().

(and yes yes, selling toys, blah blah)

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 7, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

It always reminds of a Robot Chicken sketch where Prime has to get his prostate checked. They asked Peter Cullen to voice him, but he turned it down because he thought the sketch "dishonored" the character. And then he does these films.

I'm sure he was just being diplomatic about how there was no way he was going to stoop to that level for what they were willing to pay him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

you're kind of underselling that Robot Chicken sketch tbf, it's about Prime dying of prostate cancer and it's also not overly funny (it's kind of just depressing).

like, for as much of an rear end in a top hat as Prime is in the movies, he's at least a pretty entertaining rear end in a top hat, and Cullen gets more to do in those movies than he ever historically has. dude would be stupid not to take the role.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Marshal Law's more of a flag waiver than a flag waver.

(Everybody read Marshal Law)
This.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Davros1 posted:

Luckily, David Kaye had no such compunctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBqLy45mMo

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Still bummed out this character is missing her massive disfiguring scar from the books. Can't have the love interest be actually ugly I guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cicadalek posted:

Still bummed out this character is missing her massive disfiguring scar from the books. Can't have the love interest be actually ugly I guess.

Maybe the scar healed?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's not like he's that different from most protagonists in action movies. Michelle Rodriguez' character executes someone in cold blood and yet sh'e one of the good guys:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Krankenstyle posted:

Maybe the scar healed?

Someone tried to split her face in half with a sword when she was a kid, so it wasn't exactly something you could brush over with makeup. On a thematic level it echoed the fact that she was kind of a broken person because she was raised for years by a killer cyborg with a doll collection.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cicadalek posted:

Oh she has it. You see it in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Scars tend to be toned down in live action adaptations, The Comedian and Tyrion also only got some scratches.