Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Questions: What is a magtube? What is EVA mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

UmOk posted:

Questions: What is a magtube? What is EVA mode?

Magtube = magnetic attachment version of the Protube stock

EVA mode = extravehicular activity, aka when your Kerbals get out of the ship

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

rage-saq posted:

Yesssss, CF magtube supremacy! I just got the latest carbon fibre prototype magtube cups the other day and played some stand out with them last night and it’s a thing of beauty. The previous magtube prototype cups were quite a bit heavier but still so good compared to normal methods, now it’s just like butter.

I've just got CF pipes. It's plenty light enough for me.

Stick100 posted:

Guys with the new magtubes, are you using Touch controllers or Vive controllers? I got a knockoff stock and it works well with Vive controllers but just doesn't seem to work well for me with touch controllers.

I'm on Vive controllers.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

knockoff stock

Problem found. Protube products are extremely well design, the knockoff stuff has all been total crap.
The shape of the touch and vive controllers are so wildly different that you really need a precision fit for each device.
I’ve got a rift btw

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Problem found. Protube products are extremely well design, the knockoff stuff has all been total crap.
The shape of the touch and vive controllers are so wildly different that you really need a precision fit for each device.
I’ve got a rift btw

Oh I got different cups. The issue I had is that the touch controllers don't stick in the cups well (probably need to remove straps) and that the touch controllers don't seem to do well if you aim them straightforward. With Vive that's not a problem. I assume with Protube there are two different cups for left and right for rift?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Oh I got different cups. The issue I had is that the touch controllers don't stick in the cups well (probably need to remove straps) and that the touch controllers don't seem to do well if you aim them straightforward. With Vive that's not a problem. I assume with Protube there are two different cups for left and right for rift?

Yes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Spoggerific posted:

I've had my Vive for a couple weeks now and have been having a lot of fun with it, but most of the games I've been playing have been short 1-2 hour "experiences" like The Lab, simulators like H3VR, or repetitive games like Beat Saber. These are all great games, but I've been looking for something longer to sink my teeth into. Other than Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR, are there just not that many big games available for VR? It doesn't have to be as expansive as Skyrim, but I'd like to have something in VR that I can easily put 15+ hours into.

To The Top - course based platformer game. About 30 levels, easily 15 hours of gameplay if you enjoy going for the medals. One of my favourites.

Scanner Sombre - only about 2 hoursish but it's super cheap and is an incredibly well made and cohesive experience. a 'sink your teeth into for one afternoon' game

The Serious Sam and Talos Principle games have been mentioned, along with the Oculus Store games. All are fantastic. Lone Echo in particular is probably the best piece of software made for VR yet. it's incredible.

Doom 3 has a great VR mod with full motion controls

COMPOUND is a fantastic lo-fi aesthetic roguelike shooter

Twisted Arrow has been sitting in my to-play list for ages, it's apparently pretty good and a good length

Obduction is great if you like Myst-style adventures, though there are some issues with the VR version's playability and performance.

Vanishing Realms isn't long, maybe 4 hours, but it's a great single player experience and is inexpensive.

LA Noire is a very very well done conversion of some cases from the pancake version, probably 8-10 hours of content.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone have opinions on Apex Construct or Horus Station

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think Horus Station is a dumb name for a video game (or a station).

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Gorn hasn't gotten old yet in the 3 weeks I've had VR. Combine it with beer for extra fun.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone spend time in Gunheart yet?

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Gort posted:

Elite's simultaneously great and lovely in VR. Flying is amazing, but plotting routes and taking the headset off to look at one of the million websites required to play the game effectively are really bad, as is doing stuff like flipping the mission board over and over.

Can't you use Virtual Desktop or OVRDrop for that?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

iceaim posted:

Can't you use Virtual Desktop or OVRDrop for that?

Voice attack is super popular for ED. That plus ovrdrop and things like hello.v you can do lots of stuff without taking the headset off

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Voice attack is super popular for ED. That plus ovrdrop and things like hello.v you can do lots of stuff without taking the headset off

Reminder that there is a Brian Blessed voice pack for Voice Attack. It's pretty great to have him yelling back at you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Think this belongs here idk.

Magic leap showed off their hardware today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ0OuYG0Tn0

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I just skipped around and I like the bit where they note that the thing lights up to alert others that you’re recording, as if someone might have a human interaction with someone wearing these fuckin things.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Boxman posted:

I just skipped around and I like the bit where they note that the thing lights up to alert others that you’re recording, as if someone might have a human interaction with someone wearing these fuckin things.

This is so perfect especially when you combine their twitch stream today that totally bombed and was totally worthless and chat was having absolutely none of it. Def watch the replay if you want a laugh of what two hosts nervously ignoring 5000 frustrated nerds who want some loving real talk on their vaporware.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Those are some beautiful gogs tho

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Boxman posted:

God, not even the dorks who wore google glass would wear this thing in public.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they not even show it working? I skipped through the video and didn't see her doing anything besides put an inactive device on her face.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tom Guycot posted:

God, not even the dorks who wore google glass would wear this thing in public.

Good news, it only works inside!

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Did they not even show it working? I skipped through the video and didn't see her doing anything besides put an inactive device on her face.

They did not. They showed a camera view with graphics overlaid at one point but I don't think it was made using the device. This feels like the Theranos of VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like that woman should not have dressed up as a scary nun/judge to sell that thing because it's not helping it look less like something from a dystopian nightmare.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like that woman should not have dressed up as a scary nun/judge to sell that thing because it's not helping it look less like something from a dystopian nightmare.

She definitely looks like she's about to scan through a crowd and identify someone as being deviant from the acceptable norm with those things.

"Him! In the third row! He's thinking Happy Thoughts!" :commissar:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

As long as people are recommending games, try out water bears.

It's not some masterpiece or anything, but it's a decent functional roomscale puzzle game that's enjoyable and actually uses 3d space for it's puzzles. Good for demos.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Gorn hasn't gotten old yet in the 3 weeks I've had VR. Combine it with beer for extra fun.

Try the Low Violence mode from the options screen, if you haven't. Trust me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How is Virtual Virtual Reality on Rift?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
People are recommending games? In that case, I'd go for Red Stare.

You play an agent in the 60s and have to observe an apartment to find out who the Russian agents. You get objectives from your boss, have to take picture from people and fax them. In the mean time, the room you're in has all sorts of fun little environment things to draw you in, but also help you. I really enjoyed placing photos on a blackboard, circling them with chalk and connecting them with each other. It's a fun detective-like game.

Also noteworthy: it's free.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Stakeout: The Game? That sounds pretty cool!

Thanks for posting this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Moss is now up on Steam. Apparently it's considered to be quite a good PSVR game.

Also Sairento's getting a DLC pack of three new weapons (and Relics for them) in the next few days; A claw that launches said claws as projectiles one-by-one (or three at once with a Relic), a hook on a chain, aaaand... I can't remember the third one from the patch notes right now :cripes:. They're all weapons that can be used for both melee and ranged attacks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ak2h3PkY1I

Stormland announced for Oculus in 2019 by Insomniac Games.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Baron von der Loon posted:

People are recommending games? In that case, I'd go for Red Stare.

You play an agent in the 60s and have to observe an apartment to find out who the Russian agents. You get objectives from your boss, have to take picture from people and fax them. In the mean time, the room you're in has all sorts of fun little environment things to draw you in, but also help you. I really enjoyed placing photos on a blackboard, circling them with chalk and connecting them with each other. It's a fun detective-like game.

Also noteworthy: it's free.

Plus it has the best VR smoking to date. Not a fan of cigs in real life but after a few hours of playing I had smoked more cigs than a child entertainer at a birthday party

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Songbearer posted:

Plus it has the best VR smoking to date. Not a fan of cigs in real life but after a few hours of playing I had smoked more cigs than a child entertainer at a birthday party

using the mic to take drags is GENIUS and the wave VR rave software really needs the same thing in game if it doesnt already

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

JazzFlight posted:

This looks absolutely fantastic. Flying, climbing, gliding, walking in an open world, upgrading yourself, fighting people- it looks and sounds like an honest to goodness AAA game even if it was a flatscreen game, never mind a made exclusively for VR game.

The next year of VR is going to be an exciting time.

EDIT:

Oh and looks like the first footage of Echo Combat is out. I was just expecting deathmatch for some reason, but to see it has a payload mode has me just incredibly excited for this now. I hope some other maps have more verticality to them, as that one seems pretty much on one plane. I'd like to see some taking advantage of the zero g nature, you know the payload after a checkpoint going completely vertical and having to fight "up and down" (i mean, you could of course orient yourself whatever way you want, but still).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6XjoGlGzvA

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 7, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Subnautica is on sale on Steam for $19.99. I just watched the gameplay trailer and I literally cannot imagine putting on my loving VR headset to play that poo poo. The ocean is terrifying to me, this seems unbelievably terrifying.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Subnautica is on sale on Steam for $19.99. I just watched the gameplay trailer and I literally cannot imagine putting on my loving VR headset to play that poo poo. The ocean is terrifying to me, this seems unbelievably terrifying.

Half of it is invisible until it's too close to escape from, worse luck

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

All I hear about Subnautica is how horribly optimized the pancake version is. How badly does this come across to VR because I feel like floating around in endless blue with hitching would be an express ticket to Chundertown.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

JazzFlight posted:

Far Cry 6, coming exclusively to Asus monitors!

:sigh:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ralith posted:

Far Cry 6, coming exclusively to Asus monitors!

:sigh:

does Revive still work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

You know, I wonder if revive will even be necessary. It's not coming out until 2019, openXR is coming out this year, and oculus have said they want to move to openXR as the main sdk, with OVR being legacy support. I don't know if they're too far along in development, or if it will be easy to switch over, but it seems there a good chance it will be running openXR.

If thats the case even though its only sold on the oculus store it should run on anything that supports openXR. Even if they went out of their way to put in a headset ID check, theres no reason to think that won't be easily bypassed by spoofing the ID, like it has been with the stuff on steam that had a vive ID check. I'm not even convinced they would bother putting in an ID check, knowing how easy it would be to bypass while generating PR flak. I think the most realistic scenario, if it does indeed launch as an openXR game, is that its just simply made for the oculus touch controls, and might not map well to the vive wands (though openXR is supposed to have control mapping but who knows how it will work exactly.)

All pure speculation, but I guess we'll get more hints at the future when openXR finally drops