Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Chiwie posted:

How the gently caress do you look at orks and say "You know what this needs? Nazis."

Easy; You be the sort of person who looks at minorities with jobs, or women who don't have sex with you because you tell them to, or basically any power structure where you're not captain big dick and say the same thing. From that perspective, 28mm soldiers is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Chiwie posted:

How the gently caress do you look at orks and say "You know what this needs? Nazis."

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maneck posted:

That's a very special post you found there.

I can't decide what the crown jewel is. The claim that the term "gamer" was viewed as a positive thing - until those lousy feminists showed up! Maybe the in-between-the-lines admission that he was banned from multiple forums for whatever he had to say on the topic of gamersgate?

Edit:
That guy is solid comedy gold:

She's totally irrelevant. As evidenced by the fact that her followers have too much sway in the industry. :thunk:

These dudes are basically the gamer version of guys ranting about the Rothschilds or the NWO or whatever. Pathetic.

Shockeh posted:

Easy; You be the sort of person who looks at minorities with jobs, or women who don't have sex with you because you tell them to, or basically any power structure where you're not captain big dick and say the same thing. From that perspective, 28mm soldiers is easy.

Or in the case of Stormboyz, you may also be an 80s GW designer.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Orkstaffel are a commentary on the stupidity of nazism, clearly the creator is saying that only someone with the intelligence of an Ork would support Hitler.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Artel W has a Cherubael coming out. Looks better than the GW one at least although: you know, tallest Scrunt...

E: Actually, the crappy old Daemonhost isn't on the site anymore. This doesn't look as good as the Forgeworld Rogue Psyker TBH.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

i need more of this

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Fought against an Imperial Fists list last night. Was a pretty fluffy list which was nice because my list isn't very good either.

Captain with storm shield and teeth of terra
Captain with thunder hammer and armor indomitus
Lysander
3 rhinos, each containing 5 tac marines with plasma and combi plasma, and 5 sternguard with storm bolters and chainswords
3 devastator squads, each with 8 marines, 3 heavy bolters, a lascannon, and a cherub
5 cataphractii
10 vanguard, half with plasma pistols and chainswords, half with storm shields and chainswords

I had my crimson fists.
Pedro Kantor
Primaris Lt
Jump librarian
Jump chaplain with fist of vengeance
2x5 intercessors
5 sniper scouts
2x5 hellblasters
5 vanguard with a thunder hammer, lightning claws, a few stormshields and chainswords
Devastator squad with 6 marines, 2 lascannons, missile, heavy bolter
Primaris ancient with relic banner
Contemptor
Ironclad

I forgot to take more pictures unfortunately. He had a really nice airbrushed yellow Imperial Fists force.

We played The Scouring, with the major objective being the one off to the flank in the crater using a larger marker.

He had two rhinos on the right flank, one in the middle, the devastators all on the left side with a captain while the thunder hammer captain hung out with rhinos. My scouts were deployed inside the large building on the left, both of those central buildings have objectives. First floor blocks LOS.

He gets first turn, pops all his armorium cherubs to kill my dreadnought. The rhino in the middle piled out and had everyone inside charge my scouts, killing 3 of them. Wasn't able to get guys into the ruin to see them so no shooting first which is how they were able to survive.

My turn 1 I set my devastators up on the rooftop of those ruins and have everyone else start moving up to get in range to shoot devastators, I kill a couple of them with my devastators. My force in the center moves up to engage his dudes in the building, aggressors go HAM on his sternguard dropping 10 power fist hits on them because of Pedro's bubble, so I wipe the sternguard unit in there and 2 of the tac marines (most of my units failed their charges). My ironclad fired two HKs into one of the rhinos with Wisdom of the Ancients and did 3 damage.

Turn 2 his devastators get some good shooting in, wiping my devastator squad (failing all of my 3+ banner rolls) and dropping a few hellblasters and intercessors. I have my guys steadily move up through the building, the aggressors come out and charge a rhino and drop it to 1 wound. My intercessors drop near the major objective and wipe a devastator squad, my vanguard and chaplain drop on the other side of this contested building and the vanguard pass their charge to go into another rhino.

His deep strikers arrive turn 3. Vanguard drop to try to blast my inceptors away with plasma shots, but I auspex scan his rear end and kill like half of them with my reroll bubbles so I only end up losing 1 inceptor. Cataphractii drop in my backfield, lysander drops behind the building my right flank intercessors are moving into. He piles out all his marines from the rhinos and starts hammering poo poo with fire, wiping my aggressors with plasma shots and dropping the vanguard to just the sgt. My left flank intercessor squad is down to 1 model after another round of shooting from remaining devastators, and his teeth of terra captain charges and kills that dude. His thunder hammer captain charges up into my building and kills the scouts, then engages a unit of hellblasters.

Ironclad tangos with his cataphractii, because they're all lightning claw dudes except for 1 with a power fist they do fuckall against his T8. My inceptors and hellblasters drop a second devastator squad, pedro and my Lt roll up and kill his captain, my Librarian is loving poo poo up all over the place. Smites one five-man for 3, throws a krak grenade at another and kills a dude then with Might of Heroes he kills the remaining 4 with his force sword. Chaplain kills a rhino with fist of vengeance, vanguard sgt kills another rhino with thunder hammer. I put a couple of plasma shots into his storm shield captain and one overcharge shot goes through.

Turn 4 his storm shield captain charges into my stuff and finishes off a unit of hellblasters, he ends up getting punked by my primaris ancient and another hellblaster unit in melee with Pedro's aura up, the plasma shot earlier left him hurt enough that he was killed. Remaining devastators drop my inceptor squad. At this point it's basically a mopup operation, lysander failed a charge into my intercessor squad sitting in a building and then my jump chaplain goes over and kills him in one go with Fist of Vengeance. Called it at that point, all that was left was 2 devastators, a rhino, a vew vanguard tying up guys with chainswords, and a couple of terminators still fighting my ironclad.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 7, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chiwie posted:

The best part about Ork fluff is that they have literal Stormboyz who represent Orks who haven't loving grown up yet. Ork lore says that when a boy gets old enough he starts to have weird feelings of discipline and starts seeking out like-minded individuals. These boyz form Stormboy mobs, wear uniforms, march in formation, bark orders, and are wildly regarded as the funniest loving thing by everyone else. Eventually the boy grows up and joins the rest of the band in laughing at the marching gits with the black uniforms and rokkits strapped to their backs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Im the XBOCKS-HUEG d20 wound :eng101: CP :eng101: counter. Also, do you happen to know where the building it's sitting on top of is from? I like it's look.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Schadenboner posted:

Im the XBOCKS-HUEG d20. Also, do you happen to know where the building it's sitting on top of is from? I like it's look.

Yeah I have no idea, they're great. He uses that d20 for command points which is really handy.

Not so handy when for half the game there's melee going on in one of those buildings and you're constantly having to pick up up to move guys around, hence all the dice around it to mark its sides

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, to read Orks as in any way pro-Nazi is to staggeringly miss the point. They are the bottom rung sad bastards in a society explicitly constructed of moron stereotypes to laugh at.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, to read Orks as in any way pro-Nazi is to staggeringly miss the point.

Rightists: a population well-known for their understanding of subtlety, irony, and metaphor.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Hencoe posted:

X-Posting because poorly painted expensive mans should be shared.

I like that wall of metal.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Chiwie posted:

I, uh...I have some bad news about early Ork art direction and the inspiration for Ghazgkhull Thraka. Fortunately, it was a wry British way to laugh at the scummers that nobody liked, as Beer God said.

CHUD bad-faith :hurr: "durr what's the problem?" is their only gameplan after posting stupid poo poo. Actually, they follow this multi-step plan without fail:
1. Post dumb demeaning artless garbage that oozes cringe-inducing approval for fascism in general or Naziism specifically, or misogynistic trash, or something otherwise unacceptable to thinking/empathetic people.
2. Get called out on how awful it is.
3. Ask with feigned innocence, "What's wrong with it?" :smug:
4. Somebody explains it and/or calls them out again for being a shiteater.
5.a. Accuse the explainer of the prejudices in the mini/art, OR
5.b. Keep pretending it's not a problem, and
6. Follow the red herring all the fuckin way to the cannery accusing the regular person without a kawaii Heinrich Himmler wallscroll of being an SJW.
7. Shitposting into eternity to own the libs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Schadenboner posted:

Im the XBOCKS-HUEG d20 wound :eng101: CP :eng101: counter. Also, do you happen to know where the building it's sitting on top of is from? I like it's look.

Those are from DUST tactics. They still show up on clearance sometimes, and make a nice commitment to the Pegasus gothic buildings.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I beat Space Marine yesterday, it was fun and now I'm always saying "Spayce Muhreen!" in my head when I pick up one of my models

The health recovery system was dumb and rokkit Boyz were a pain in the rear end but otherwise it was worth $7.50

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

Those are from DUST tactics. They still show up on clearance sometimes, and make a nice commitment to the Pegasus gothic buildings.

Was tactics the 1/35 one or the 1/48 one? IIRC they released two games in the same IP with extremely similar names and scales so I'm perma-:confused: w/r/t that.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part about Ork fluff is that they have literal Stormboyz who represent Orks who haven't loving grown up yet. Ork lore says that when a boy gets old enough he starts to have weird feelings of discipline and starts seeking out like-minded individuals. These boyz form Stormboy mobs, wear uniforms, march in formation, bark orders, and are wildly regarded as the funniest loving thing by everyone else. Eventually the boy grows up and joins the rest of the band in laughing at the marching gits with the black uniforms and rokkits strapped to their backs.

And those Orks are definitely not a piss-take of edgy teenagers signing up to NF/Combat 18.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I always liked that the Ork version of teenage rebellion was wanting order and structure.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigAristotle posted:

I beat Space Marine yesterday, it was fun and now I'm always saying "Spayce Muhreen!" in my head when I pick up one of my models

The health recovery system was dumb and rokkit Boyz were a pain in the rear end but otherwise it was worth $7.50

Encouraging you to get into combat and turning Orks and Daemons into a red poultice with your big-gently caress-huge hammer is bad? :confused:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thundercloud posted:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/758032.page

The HMBC guy comes in to randomly talk about how rape statistics are wrong and rape isn't a big problem many pages in.

Lots of 'I'm not a misogynist, but Gamergate was a misunderstood moral campaign for better ethics in journalism, not a campaign of harassing women in the industry. I'm attacking Anita Sarkessian because she didn't produce all the videos she said she would in her stretch goals and she's no true gamer, not because I have a problem with women. Let me not engage with any of the criticism she might raise. Let's also talk about how I define feminism and never really state my view, just attack others.'

So it's been years since I read Dakka. Content aside the whole loving website is impossible to read with the lovely color choices and everyone having some stupid signature advertising how many points their armies are, declaring how many posters they've ignored, or worse yet including a signature that looks identical to the actual thread. I'm sure the content is equally horrible but why the gently caress would anyone subject themselves to that formatting.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So it's been years since I read Dakka. Content aside the whole loving website is impossible to read with the lovely color choices and everyone having some stupid signature advertising how many points their armies are, declaring how many posters they've ignored, or worse yet including a signature that looks identical to the actual thread. I'm sure the content is equally horrible but why the gently caress would anyone subject themselves to that formatting.

It's a shame because their "Random Human Infantry" kit looks really nice (albeit overpriced), too. It would be perfect for a Penal Twists catachan army I had in mind.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 7, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

Encouraging you to get into combat and turning Orks and Daemons into a red poultice with your big-gently caress-huge hammer is bad? :confused:

Turns out setting up a system where health recovery only comes from long, uninterruptible animations during which you can still take damage is actually not great.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I found the Drukhari specific thread to be mostly good faith arguments with proper punctuation and solid mathhammer.

I never looked at another thread and going by that Anita link, that was the best choice. At first I was excited when I saw a dude post about how much of a turd the OP was, but then more and more turds arrived. RIP.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

"And yeah, changing the design and lore of the Sisters to appease a dogmatic cult with a repressed sense of morality most people don't share seems like a bad thing. It doesn't to you?"

Wait, what's their actual complaint? It's perfectly possible to do a Poochy and make a focus grouped change that isn't good, but I'm not really aware of any big changes with Sisters that were bad.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
There is a huge difference between alluding to the totalitarian regimes of the past (i.e. the aesthetic of the Empire in Star Wars) and putting loving swastikas and SS iconography on your Rhinos.

You can pull off the "Hey these guys are obviously bad guys." or "I wanted to paint an Army that has the colors of WWII Germany, but is obviously not Nazis."
... just don't use the loving iconography!

I like German Grey+Bright Red. It's a great color combination. I also love the colors of the Afrika Korps.

Why don't these guys understand it's ok to paint your army in these colors, but unless you are actually painting WWII minis, skip the direct copies of the symbolism?

:iiam::emo:

Sorry, I had to vent the steam. These fuckers piss me off.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NovemberMike posted:

Wait, what's their actual complaint? It's perfectly possible to do a Poochy and make a focus grouped change that isn't good, but I'm not really aware of any big changes with Sisters that were bad.

I just liked this post because it was so :ironicat:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
tbh I don't even have a huge problem with the balkenkreuz on stuff but please don't put totenkopfs or SS lightning bolts on anything thanks

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

dexefiend posted:

There is a huge difference between alluding to the totalitarian regimes of the past (i.e. the aesthetic of the Empire in Star Wars) and putting loving swastikas and SS iconography on your Rhinos.

You can pull off the "Hey these guys are obviously bad guys." or "I wanted to paint an Army that has the colors of WWII Germany, but is obviously not Nazis."
... just don't use the loving iconography!

I like German Grey+Bright Red. It's a great color combination. I also love the colors of the Afrika Korps.

Why don't these guys understand it's ok to paint your army in these colors, but unless you are actually painting WWII minis, skip the direct copies of the symbolism?

:iiam::emo:

Sorry, I had to vent the steam. These fuckers piss me off.

Even historical gamers (the ones that aren’t awful people) tend to avoid swastikas on their armies. The guys I’ve seen at shops favor the Iron Cross. Anyone using the actual swastika or SS skulls and poo poo are the ones you know to actively avoid.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If something terrible happens and I somehow end up playing WW2 games, I'm definitely breaking out my giant backlog of Ultramarine transfers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Shadin posted:

Even historical gamers (the ones that aren’t awful people) tend to avoid swastikas on their armies. The guys I’ve seen at shops favor the Iron Cross. Anyone using the actual swastika or SS skulls and poo poo are the ones you know to actively avoid.

Yeah the balkenkreuz is perfectly acceptable in a historical wargame

If you did some 40k stuff with a balkenkruez I would look at it weird but it wouldn't be a huge deal, if you did SS symbols in a historical game or otherwise you can gently caress off

The only place that's acceptable is in like a diorama or something where the SS is getting stomped on

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Why do you think the balkenkreuz is fine but SS and swastikas are not?

They're all poo poo.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

They're all poo poo.

I mean its typically on the list of things germany themselves replace nazi iconography with when they censor it?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I didn't say it's fine, I said it's not a huge deal. It's kind of riding the line and would make me wary but not outright refuse to play them like with SS symbols.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

They're all poo poo.
I think it's acceptable in a historical context, but as soon as you take it out of that it becomes unacceptable.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

They're all poo poo.

AFAIK, it's because the Iron Cross predates the Nazis in the Prussian Empire and also has a much reduced gut punch reaction. One of those subtle social considerations that horrible nerds are completely immune to and try to argue around with butwhatabouts and wellbutthisisactuallythesames. Basically historical guys that need to indicate their army is German but don't want to really dive into the whole ultra-Nazi part of it and just wanna play out WW2 battles.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

They're all poo poo.
Because the Balkenkreuz was a symbol of Germany long before its descent into fascism.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

chutche2 posted:

Yeah the balkenkreuz is perfectly acceptable in a historical wargame

Sure

chutche2 posted:

If you did some 40k stuff with a balkenkruez I would look at it weird but it wouldn't be a huge deal,

Nah, I'm going to disagree with that. Anyone who puts period German iconography on their 40k models has exactly one intention

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I saw a guy recently with an imperial guard army that had tanks done up in an Afrika Korps scheme with some balkankruezes on the tanks and was weirded out by it but he didn't do any other kind of pro-nazi signaling so it wasn't a dealbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Giant Isopod posted:

Sure

Nah, I'm going to disagree with that. Anyone who puts period German iconography on their 40k models has exactly one intention

I'd say that the Nazi-limit is the Star Wars Empire (and that's a pretty goddamn permissive standard, imo), beyond that it starts getting a little :yikes:.

Dark grey tanks are still probably ok, although combining them with red/white/black color scheme or hooky iconography is Considered Harmful.