Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Henchman of Santa posted:

My roommate watches TV and movies wrong. He'll simultaneously listen to a podcast or watch a YouTube video, or just straight up walk into another room to do dishes or whatever, and never pauses. It's one thing if he's watching some procedural or a rerun of It's Always Sunny that he's seen for the millionth time, but he's getting into Westworld now, which is basically a constant barrage of twists, and walking away for minutes at a time.

the real pet peeve is with myself for being bothered by this

This is how I watch everything. It irritates everyone in the world. Your irritation is not irrational. I half-rear end watch every movie, every TV show, everything. I can't ever sit still and watch something. I have to do something else at the same time.

As such, I can watch a movie 4 times and learn something new each viewing. It works for me, less so for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Initio posted:

Another phone queue complaint - music that doesn’t sound good over the phone. Like I’m not some sort of audiophile, but hearing super staticky music is very grating when you’re on hold for any amount of time.

Godaddy.com plays jazz/ragtime music for their hold as part of the loop. Somehow, no matter how pissed off you are, ragtime makes everything better.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

mostlygray posted:

This is how I watch everything.

Stop it. Stop it. Assuming you do not have a debilitating mental illness, this should be well within your power as a human adult.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ADHD/ADD exists and a lot of people have it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who only ever ask millions of questions (usually already answered in the text of the listing) about something you've put up for sale online. The more questions and the more detail required to answer them, the less likely the final purchase.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This has probably come up before, but in the same vein as people who rate a recipe based on how it came out (good or bad) after the insane number of changes they made to it: people who give a product one star on Amazon because of a fault in shipping or another factor having nothing to do with the product. All these four- and five-star ratings, then a one-star review saying "box was beat up" or, my personal favorite, "came too late to be the birthday gift it was supposed to be". Clearly that means the product is faulty and I shouldn't spend my money on it.

I was in the market for a waterproof beanbag cover for my poor sweet old doggy. You would not believe the number of one-star reviews given on the basis of the product being an empty cover--no filling included. (Which to me is the usual way of buying a beanbag unless it's full of that flashy new extrafine stuff.) Oh, how they bitched about all the beans they had to buy to fill it. So expensive, those beans! (No one was putting two and two together about the price of this cover and the price of the filling, and how it would be tough to pull off a full beanbag at this price.) Never mind that the product names and descriptions all made clear that you were buying the outside only. I can give some of these reviewers the benefit of the doubt if the descriptions had been updated to include that info, but that's a generous stretch. And that doesn't help explain the one-star review that said, "It says at the very bottom of the description that it's only the cover and no beans. I didn't see it before I made my purchase." Again, it's the product's fault. ONE STAR

(I wound up buying one with four reviews, all one-star. It's great, and my dog likes it, too.)

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

ADHD/ADD exists and a lot of people have it
hence

Whiz Palace posted:

debilitating mental illness
although I concede this comes down to when a disorder is considered "debilitating".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. I’m just saying that’s the reason for it.

Or they flat out don’t care about movies or tv shows, which in fact most people don’t.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I once purchased a whetstone that someone had given a 1 star review because it broke when their cat swatted it off the counter onto their tile floor. Another person gave it 1 star because it was made in Japan instead of USA.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There is a special place in Hell for people who walk into a place a minute before they close, ask "are you still open?" and then hang around for an an unreasonable amount of time. If you just need five or ten minutes of work then fine whatever, no big deal, but if you're the kind of person that walks into a restaurant that closes at 11:00 at 10:58 then sits for an hour and a half I hope you loving die.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There is a special place in Hell for people who walk into a place a minute before they close, ask "are you still open?" and then hang around for an an unreasonable amount of time. If you just need five or ten minutes of work then fine whatever, no big deal, but if you're the kind of person that walks into a restaurant that closes at 11:00 at 10:58 then sits for an hour and a half I hope you loving die.

A family friend encountered this in Japan and blamed the shop owner's reaction on racism. I hate victim-blaming as much as any reasonable person, but I so wanted to say "you're not helping!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The appeal is attention and acceptance. When else are you going to be snapping pictures of a pasty anime-obsessed shut-in for reasons other than to make fun of them?

My pet peeve is when people on these forums take some fairly innocuous nerd behavior and frame it as uncharitably as possible for reasons that are obscure. Some people like dressing up. A subset of those people like dressing up as characters. The idea of creating an elaborate costume and then keeping it in a closet forever so people don't think you're an attention starved loser is a lot weirder than wearing it to some nerd gathering.

and I say this as someone who couldn't care less about cosplay.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Moon Monster posted:

My pet peeve is when people on these forums take some fairly innocuous nerd behavior and frame it as uncharitably as possible for reasons that are obscure. Some people like dressing up. A subset of those people like dressing up as characters. The idea of creating an elaborate costume and then keeping it in a closet forever so people don't think you're an attention starved loser is a lot weirder than wearing it to some nerd gathering.

You could care a great deal less. You cared enough to comment.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

You could care a great deal less. You cared enough to comment.

Ah, see, what I read was a peeve about how certain posters post, and it was tangentially related to cosplay at the very most.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Moon Monster posted:

You're pretending like there aren't a lot of problems within that community due to the shutin weirdos i am poking fun at. Also that is the "obscure reason" for doing that. It's fun, and they make it so very easy.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

This has probably come up before, but in the same vein as people who rate a recipe based on how it came out (good or bad) after the insane number of changes they made to it: people who give a product one star on Amazon because of a fault in shipping or another factor having nothing to do with the product. All these four- and five-star ratings, then a one-star review saying "box was beat up" or, my personal favorite, "came too late to be the birthday gift it was supposed to be". Clearly that means the product is faulty and I shouldn't spend my money on it.

In a similar vein, it annoys me to no end when you're reading Amazon reviews or questions/answers that are clearly for a different, 6-year-old version of the new model you're actually viewing.
What HDR does this new 2018 monitor have? According to Answers, Dolby (and "no", and "whats hdr", and "its 4k"). According to reviews from 2014, none, and it's only 1080p And the description doesn't say, so you have to dig up manufacturer's spec sheets and hope it actually says.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't believe I've been buying paneer all this time for exorbitant costs. All you need is some milk and lemon juice and a nut milk bag and you can make it at home.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One topic of conversation I find really loving annoying is people asking me what celebrities or actors I have a sexual interest in - I don't have an answer because I don't think that way, and it's none of your business, so stop googling pictures of Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman and going "Huh? Huh?!" because it's unprofessional and we are literally at work right now! It's just awkward. Especially annoying that I can't use "You're probably making the women in the office uncomfortable" because they are said women doing it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

One topic of conversation I find really loving annoying is people asking me what celebrities or actors I have a sexual interest in - I don't have an answer because I don't think that way, and it's none of your business, so stop googling pictures of Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman and going "Huh? Huh?!" because it's unprofessional and we are literally at work right now! It's just awkward. Especially annoying that I can't use "You're probably making the women in the office uncomfortable" because they are said women doing it.

I used to work with a guy that wouldn't shut up about Elle Fanning when she turned 18 and talking about how great it is that she's "legal" now. When people kept telling him to stop and it makes him sound really weird/pedophilic (since it was obvious his obsession started well before that birthday) you could hear the gears grinding in his head dying to do the "accctually it's ephebophile" defense I'm sure he has used countless times on the internet.

Keep what/who you jerk off to a private subject unless you're in a serious relationship and feel like sharing that information. Literally nobody else wants to know.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This.

But as a manager I have the joy to tell these people who have been chillin there for hours that “we close in 10 minutes” etc. To see them leave is so great. No you’re not staying past close, me and my staff want to go home. It’s SUCH a good feeling denying these assholes. *note that there’s always a person/people who don’t know our hours and I’m not mad at them. It’s the difference between “I’m sorry, are you open?” And “I’m just gonna barge in, demand a ton of poo poo, and sit here despite knowing you’re closing” entitled attitude.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jun 9, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hate people who see that there's a problem, have spent money fixing a part of the problem, but let the problem continue. I am house sitting, and puppy sitting, and the side yards where the puppies have 24/7 access is nothing but rocks, because when it was dirt, they would dig not stop because you know they are puppies. With small rocks though, they pick them up, they chew on them, and sometimes they eat them which is why the family just spent 2 Grand getting a rock removed from one of the pups. Did they remove The Rock Yard? Did they throw down some sod? Nope! Still rocks everywhere, and the puppies don't have too many toys, so rocks are what they choose to play with and chew on and I just want to scream.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When tabloids and other people call a pregnant woman's stomach a "bump". It makes it sound so gross to me and unprofessional. I cringe every time it shows up in articles and such. Its a very strange word. :rolleyes:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cinni posted:

When tabloids and other people call a pregnant woman's stomach a "bump". It makes it sound so gross to me and unprofessional. I cringe every time it shows up in articles and such. Its a very strange word. :rolleyes:

The worst part of that is that if a woman celebrity gains ten pounds suddenly the tabloids are all IS THIS A BABY BUMP? IS SHE PREGNANT? I BET SHE'S PREGNANT! WHO IS THE FATHER? I WONDER WHO IT IS! HERE ARE LIKE TWENTY MEN SHE HAS BEEN IN PUNCHING DISTANCE OF IN THE PAST DECADE ANY ONE OF THEM COULD BE THE FATHER! WHEN DO YOU SUPPOSE JENNIFER ANISTON IS GOING TO HAVE A BABY? SHE'S OVERDUUUUUUEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

And I'm just thinking to myself "literally all of that is none of your god damned business why do people care so much?" If there is even the tiniest bit of a hint of a bulge in a famous woman's stomach the speculation becomes utterly rampant. Hell that happens sometimes even if there isn't any sign.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s what people pay for so in a way it is literally their business

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The worst part of that is that if a woman celebrity gains ten pounds suddenly the tabloids are all IS THIS A BABY BUMP? IS SHE PREGNANT? I BET SHE'S PREGNANT! WHO IS THE FATHER? I WONDER WHO IT IS! HERE ARE LIKE TWENTY MEN SHE HAS BEEN IN PUNCHING DISTANCE OF IN THE PAST DECADE ANY ONE OF THEM COULD BE THE FATHER! WHEN DO YOU SUPPOSE JENNIFER ANISTON IS GOING TO HAVE A BABY? SHE'S OVERDUUUUUUEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

And I'm just thinking to myself "literally all of that is none of your god damned business why do people care so much?" If there is even the tiniest bit of a hint of a bulge in a famous woman's stomach the speculation becomes utterly rampant. Hell that happens sometimes even if there isn't any sign.

It's never "I bet she's pregnant" etc though, it's always "she's preggers!" preggo! preggies!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
We sell a lot of those magazines where I work (People and the like) and one of them has the cover that Aniston is pregnant with Pitt's baby. I've never seen anyone buy these magazines and I don't personally know anyone who gives a poo poo about these stories.

I guess my peeve aligns with the other posted. Who cares if a celebrity is having a baby or got married? Give me a story about how Michael Douglas was attacked by a wombat, or that Jennifer Lawrence is funding and starring in a remake of Terror From The Year 5000.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Some loving poo poo rear end human being decided to steal the remote to the TV in the ER lobby at work, and now I gotta deal with people who are pissy that it's stuck on one channel, and also with people interrupting me while I'm trying to check people into the ER to change the channel. Who the gently caress steals a random loving remote from a hospital?

So I guess my pet peeve is people stealing poo poo. Don't steal poo poo, what the gently caress.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why people would steal the remote, other than they could. Why the hell is the remote out there for them to steal anyway

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Jun 10, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Today is my first day in a new office. For some reason you need a key to get into the bathroom. It's the fifth floor of a secure building that requires work ID to enter and is away from any real walking traffic. The third floor bathroom doesn't require a key. Why is this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you're not pooping on a different floor then you're not working in an office building the right way. I'd always head to the second floor men's room of my 6 story building because it was always the emptiest. Lot's of people did it. We called it "Floor Bombing."

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Upside down bottles. Ketchup, mustard, shampoo, whatever. It’s always going to be a mess. I’d rather just turn it over when it’s almost empty.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you're not pooping on a different floor then you're not working in an office building the right way. I'd always head to the second floor men's room of my 6 story building because it was always the emptiest. Lot's of people did it. We called it "Floor Bombing."

Look man I've got colitis so I can't always have the luxury of picking my floor (though that's rarely been a problem of late)

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Jun 11, 2018

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't understand why people would steal the remote, other than they could. Why the hell is the remote out there for them to steal anyway

We don't, usually, which means that someone let a patient have it and then didn't get it back. Fun!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So a couple months back, some lady with a powerful Eastern European style accent emergency-knocked at my porch door at 11:30pm, and apologetically but frantically asked for toilet paper.

Last night the same lady blasted down my door with knocks, and asked if we have a bicycle pump. I have no idea who this lady is, or where on my street she lives if she does in fact, but I'm apparently her go-to life saver for esoteric midnight items.

Edit: also this person at this cafe won't stop coughing the same cough, every twenty seconds or so, like dry rattles punctuating the soft indie music.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jun 11, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I probably would have told her if she woke me up again for trivial bullshit I'd call the police instead of opening the door. I'm all for being neighborly, but not in the middle of the night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ooh. My pet peeve is when you use Facebook for what it’s supposed to be for, being a networking site for your friends, and you ask everyone

“Hey! Want to join me at ____?”

And people like it. That’s not an answer though!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
People who are against net neutrality simply because Obama is the one that put the rules in place.

Also, people using the word regulation to mean something negative. Call it what it is, call it a protection!

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
If you, a grown adult, pronounce wi-fi as "wee fee," you should be thrown into a pit full of ravenous alligators.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Gonna need more gators for the entire Francophone world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CelticPredator posted:

Ooh. My pet peeve is when you use Facebook for what it’s supposed to be for, being a networking site for your friends, and you ask everyone

“Hey! Want to join me at ____?”

And people like it. That’s not an answer though!

Likes and reactions in general. They're just so goddamn low effort.

Yesterday, some dude went to the trouble of reacting to every single of my posts in a discussion, with the laugh reaction thing. I guess it's some sort of passive aggressive thing.