Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
not quite marginalia, but my wilfred owens collection has a big coffee stain right smack dab in the middle of dulce et decorum est, so it reads:

quote:

missing — An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

does anybody know what the missing text reads? it's such an important poem that i feel silly that i've never read the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

not quite marginalia, but my wilfred owens collection has a big coffee stain right smack dab in the middle of dulce et decorum est, so it reads:

does anybody know what the missing text reads? it's such an important poem that i feel silly that i've never read the whole thing

It's:
"Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!--An ecstasy of fumbling"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ah, of course. those were the words i was missing:

MockingQuantum posted:

"Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

lmao

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I wasn't clever enough to say anything funny about it, but at least we now have a literary in-joke way to point out when the thread has gone to poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

But what school do you subscribe to?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's from that scene in Independence Day except they photoshopped out the spaceship.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I bet they didn't follow the plot of the 1988 game at all.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

dang

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tree Goat posted:

High level posting

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'll do it

I'll pull this car right over

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nooo don't do it, this is apparently the only place on the internet where I can ask for recommendations of good lit and not have anyone suggest anything by Ayn Rand!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That would be a more work-friendly thread title.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll do it

If you do that we would have to post in all the other threads

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hold up wait did someone report the thread?

If someone reported the thread for a critical theory fight I demand you name names Alloy

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you do that we would have to post in all the other threads

we will descent like locusts upon your threads. we will cover the face of the ground so that it cannot be seen. we will devour what little you have left after the hail, including every tree that is growing in your fields. we will fill your houses

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
the firemen in Fahrenheit 451 did nothing wrong, ban books before they make me any more mentally ill than I already am

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Squashing Machine posted:

ban books before they make me any more mentally ill than I already am

this but Twitter and 100% unironically

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this but Twitter and 100% unironically

Twitter is the best current case against the common human experience argument

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Twitter is the best current case against the common human experience argument

what are you talking about, everyone on twitter is mad in exactly the same way

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Strike down this thread and you will have unleashed a dozen botls onto the subforum

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Clipperton posted:

what are you talking about, everyone on twitter is mad in exactly the same way
Actually, it is happy tweets that are all alike.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ok this owned

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll do it

I beseech you

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Hahahaha

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This thread is the most convivial it's been in years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

This thread is the most convivial it's been in years.

Squash still needs to list his critics tho :colbert:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can't list my favorite critics. :shrug:

But I read more film theory that literary theory.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you cannot recite your complete stable of critical influences when challenged you are a fraud imho

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tell me some of yours and I'll read a few and tell you what's up. I bought Mythologies by Barthes when it was discussed. I stopped going to college because doing drugs on the beach and having sex were way more fun, and all my professors were idiots that wanted me to read Ayn Rand's Anthem or some other poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Barthes
Derrida
Foucault
Saussure
Lacan
Hegel
Butler

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Forgot Lyotard thus proving me a fraud

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've got some books on Lacan and Hegel already, since they come up a lot in CineD. I'll add the others to my list.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Forgot Lyotard thus proving me a fraud

I knew it, you loving loser

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Legit though Lyotard owns and makes one of the most direct and convincing arguments for the post modern reconstruction of artistic judgement I've read

Edit: You should group them though

Saussure-Barthes-Derrida-Butler

Hegel-Lacan-Lyotard-Foucault

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 7, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Legit though Lyotard owns and makes one of the most direct and convincing arguments for the post modern reconstruction of artistic judgement I've read

Are there specific works I should read for most of these recommendations, or will I glean their theories from whatever?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

You caught me, I'm not much of a reader of the critical theorists. I am, however, a reader of books, and if that makes me a fraud in your eyes then I can't change that.

What I will say, though, is that I'm glad I've stayed far away from the theory if this is where it gets you. It's a sad, cynical approach to the novel. It's about fracturing, setting up boundaries, saying you can only look over the fence but never really climb it.

Had to catch myself from crying a bit at Lincoln in the Bardo on the CTA today. Embarrassing, really, when it's just about some dumb dead rich kid and his stupid grieving privileged father. Can't believe I let my guard down. Hopefully next time I'll stop myself before I actually feel something for the wrong people in a book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Are there specific works I should read for most of these recommendations, or will I glean their theories from whatever?

Foucault, Lacan and Hegel can be whatever

Saussure- course in general linguistics
Lyotard - The Postmodern Condition
Butler - Gender Trouble
Barthes- s/z
Derrida - Differance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

You caught me, I'm not much of a reader of the critical theorists. I am, however, a reader of books, and if that makes me a fraud in your eyes then I can't change that.

What I will say, though, is that I'm glad I've stayed far away from the theory if this is where it gets you. It's a sad, cynical approach to the novel. It's about fracturing, setting up boundaries, saying you can only look over the fence but never really climb it.

Had to catch myself from crying a bit at Lincoln in the Bardo on the CTA today. Embarrassing, really, when it's just about some dumb dead rich kid and his stupid grieving privileged father. Can't believe I let my guard down. Hopefully next time I'll stop myself before I actually feel something for the wrong people in a book.

I cant tell if this post is real or not but you should read Aquarium by David Vann