Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Pakled posted:

Yes, Crisis of the Confederation, but it hasn't been updated in years and doesn't work with the current version of the game.

There's a version on the workshop that mostly works, it's just a straight port by some other person though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sio posted:

hey Paradox you should fire HBS dev and serial harasser Tyler Carpenter and hire someone good instead, thanks

No follow up on this random drive-by slander?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Johan mentioned on the official forum that Imperator is their first 64 bit game, which makes sense considering the map is 4x the size of recent games and they've been riding 32 bit memory limits for years.

Though the only visible effect of that for end users is probably that mods will be able to add practically unlimited amounts of stuff without causing out of memory crashes.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 7, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Sindai posted:

Johan mentioned on the official forum that Imperator is their first 64 bit game, which makes sense considering the map is 4x the size of recent games and they've been riding 32 bit memory limits for years.

Though the only visible effect of that for end users is probably that mods will be able to add practically unlimited amounts of stuff without causing out of memory crashes.

I guess that means years of complaining and loss of ability to feel human from people still on 32bit OSes.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 7, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're still on 32bit you've lost the ability to feel human long ago.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

zedprime posted:

If you're still on 32bit you've lost the ability to feel human long ago.

Paradox forums posters complained when Paradox moved to Steam in the mid 2010s.

Not 2000s. 2010s.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It's a shame I will no longer be able to play Paradox games on a Casio watch plugged into an potatoe but maybe when they finish switching their games to an engine that can fully utilize modern hardware it'll fix some of the crippling performance issues everyone is fond of complaining about, too.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's a shame I will no longer be able to play Paradox games on a Casio watch plugged into an potatoe but maybe when they finish switching their games to an engine that can fully utilize modern hardware it'll fix some of the crippling performance issues everyone is fond of complaining about, too.

They've mentioned before that they hadn't moved away from 32-bit before because 64-bit gave no gains for what they do.

They may even have fallen into the category of software that gets worse under 64-bit conditions.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

idhrendur posted:

They've mentioned before that they hadn't moved away from 32-bit before because 64-bit gave no gains for what they do.

They may even have fallen into the category of software that gets worse under 64-bit conditions.

A lot of software ends up using more memory for same amount of data on 64-bit because of the larger pointers. So if something is using 3GiB of data in 32-bits it may end up using 4.5GiB in 64-bit, and suddenly the person with an old machine with 4GiB free is in for really bad time.

Of course if you need to store/can take advantage of more than 4 gig things change dramatically.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alchenar posted:

This post aged poorly.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Alchenar posted:

This post aged poorly.

What happened?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

OddObserver posted:

A lot of software ends up using more memory for same amount of data on 64-bit because of the larger pointers. So if something is using 3GiB of data in 32-bits it may end up using 4.5GiB in 64-bit, and suddenly the person with an old machine with 4GiB free is in for really bad time.

Of course if you need to store/can take advantage of more than 4 gig things change dramatically.

Exactly this. Plus caching can make things weirder, too (as always with caching).

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

What happened?

(former) HBS employee was a creep, is now fired

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Senor Dog posted:

What happened?

He admitted it was all true.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

V for Vegas posted:

He admitted it was all true.

He admitted what was true?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

He admitted what was true?

All of it!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Arrhythmia posted:

All of it!

The whole thing!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Can someone supply some goddamn links so I know why the hell I'm supposed to hate Tyler Carpenter and glorify in his (apparent) firing?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Sky Shadowing posted:

Can someone supply some goddamn links so I know why the hell I'm supposed to hate Tyler Carpenter and glorify in his (apparent) firing?

https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/status/1004815754154266624

He posted the admission of guilt on his own personal twitter which he's since locked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Alchenar posted:

Goons are weirdly defensive about a guy they probably just heard about.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Or they just want a viable source instead of what could just be someone talking random poo poo.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Sorry for the lack of detail, I'm sick as hell and thought I'd posted in the Battletech thread and also shouldn't have been posting about it at all given that the companies involved hadn't had any time to react. Tyler was a HBS dev who publicly admitted to and "apologized" for harassing and abusing someone on his twitter, which prompted a whole lot of other women on Twitter to come forward with additional accusations.

Anyway HBS did the right thing so that's cool.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

asking someone to explain why they just called someone a creep who should be fired is not 'being weirdly defensive' you loving moron (even if the accused was a creep who 100% deserved to be sacked)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Beamed posted:

Paradox forums posters complained when Paradox moved to Steam in the mid 2010s.

Not 2000s. 2010s.

They are still complaining about Steam as of last week.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HerraS posted:

asking someone to explain why they just called someone a creep who should be fired is not 'being weirdly defensive' you loving moron (even if the accused was a creep who 100% deserved to be sacked)

Lol sure

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So despite having played hundreds of hours of Vicky 2, here's something I've never quite been able to figure out: What makes the AI capitalists actually decide to invest in building factories? I've been playing a Greece -> Byzantine empire game industrialization has been pretty slow for most of it because literacy starts out at like 20% in Greece, but even in 1900+ with my literacy around 70-ish and encouraging capitalists, barely anything is being built. I recently won a great war against both the UK and France which basically turned on a five year money hose where I had my entire nation at 0% taxes, -25% tariffs and all other sliders maxed and still had like 12M in reserve by the time the truce ended, and despite all that I think there were maybe 3 new factories built in that time? Is it just a population thing, where if there aren't enough craftsman they won't bother building factories that won't have any staff? When playing a nation like Germany, the AI will happily fill every state to 8 factories without needing encouragement at all.

Basically, I can't figure out what I need to encourage to make a nation industrialize on its own. I know that I can just like, go state capitalism or planned economy and build factories myself but I want to understand what factors make a nation like Japan shoot up to be an industrial superpower without effort while my Byzantine Empire has like 30 industrial score in 1920.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So despite having played hundreds of hours of Vicky 2, here's something I've never quite been able to figure out: What makes the AI capitalists actually decide to invest in building factories? I've been playing a Greece -> Byzantine empire game industrialization has been pretty slow for most of it because literacy starts out at like 20% in Greece, but even in 1900+ with my literacy around 70-ish and encouraging capitalists, barely anything is being built. I recently won a great war against both the UK and France which basically turned on a five year money hose where I had my entire nation at 0% taxes, -25% tariffs and all other sliders maxed and still had like 12M in reserve by the time the truce ended, and despite all that I think there were maybe 3 new factories built in that time? Is it just a population thing, where if there aren't enough craftsman they won't bother building factories that won't have any staff? When playing a nation like Germany, the AI will happily fill every state to 8 factories without needing encouragement at all.

Basically, I can't figure out what I need to encourage to make a nation industrialize on its own. I know that I can just like, go state capitalism or planned economy and build factories myself but I want to understand what factors make a nation like Japan shoot up to be an industrial superpower without effort while my Byzantine Empire has like 30 industrial score in 1920.

Capitalists need to know they'll make a profit to decide to start building a factory, and they also can't have it split apart too much. Too many capitalists means they won't see much individual profit, so won't invest.

They also need money to begin with. This one is trickier, as, naturally, they have no income at first. The best way to get them income is to, well, build the initial factories and railroads. Like you said, countries which are already industrial already have capitalists making money to build poo poo. Eventually they're rich enough it takes off, and they build all the furniture factories you can dream of.

But, industrialization is a net negative in Victoria 2, so keep in mind that Interventionist parties are necessary to keep capitalists afloat (at minimum).

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Beamed posted:

Capitalists need to know they'll make a profit to decide to start building a factory, and they also can't have it split apart too much. Too many capitalists means they won't see much individual profit, so won't invest.

They also need money to begin with. This one is trickier, as, naturally, they have no income at first. The best way to get them income is to, well, build the initial factories and railroads. Like you said, countries which are already industrial already have capitalists making money to build poo poo. Eventually they're rich enough it takes off, and they build all the furniture factories you can dream of.

But, industrialization is a net negative in Victoria 2, so keep in mind that Interventionist parties are necessary to keep capitalists afloat (at minimum).

Wait, so do you not need to industrialize in the game about the industrialization of the world?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

Wait, so do you not need to industrialize in the game about the industrialization of the world?

Well, this thread put it well a month-ish ago: Industrialization is a drain on your economy, and nothing more than a money sink with no real gain, but it gives you industrial points, and the game is literally a dick measuring contest over who has the most total points at the end.

If you want to minmax Victoria 2 (though why would you??), you ignore the industrial aspect entirely. You research Mechanized Production and Medicine and then you're good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

Well, this thread put it well a month-ish ago: Industrialization is a drain on your economy, and nothing more than a money sink with no real gain, but it gives you industrial points, and the game is literally a dick measuring contest over who has the most total points at the end.

If you want to minmax Victoria 2 (though why would you??), you ignore the industrial aspect entirely. You research Mechanized Production and Medicine and then you're good.

You can also just be China and have an artisan population that outproduces industrialized nations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

nope! if you can get some factories going without actually spending money on them then that's great, but maintaining industry through subsidies is purely a way to break into/maintain GP status or provide a really niche good to your pops if you want them to be happy and the world market isn't working out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

nope! if you can get some factories going without actually spending money on them then that's great, but maintaining industry through subsidies is purely a way to break into/maintain GP status or provide a really niche good to your pops if you want them to be happy and the world market isn't working out.

I feel like Laissez-Faire wouldn't be such a death sentence if you were still allowed to subsidize factories producing military goods. They always have a hard time staying open during peacetime and then when wartime runs around all of a sudden you can't get any artillery to produce new units because nobody is making it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m just tired of paradox fans being giant babies about game mechanics that aren’t conquest.

If they had their way it would literally be the only mechanic and that’s boring

Do you read the same forums I do? They're constantly screaming to make the game more simulationist and complex, while Johan trolls them over it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i dont give a poo poo about playing assembly line manager, i just want a game about 1848

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

StashAugustine posted:

i dont give a poo poo about playing assembly line manager, i just want a game about 1848

Strategy game where you control the masses of revolutionaries and set up barricades in the streets of period-accurate major European cities to hold off the soldiers and force kings to abdicate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Do you read the same forums I do? They're constantly screaming to make the game more simulationist and complex, while Johan trolls them over it.

They say that but every time a mechanic that isn’t conquest is implemented they whine about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Basically State Capitalism is always the best option and never trust the AI to do anything. If the thesis of Vicky 2 was meant to be that uncontrolled capitalism is literally suicidal for a nation then it's real good at that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

spectralent posted:

If the thesis of Vicky 2 was meant to be that uncontrolled capitalism is literally suicidal for a nation then it's real good at that.

Wonder how many clipper factories Donald Trump has tried to profit from.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Vicky II's economic simulation is extremely accurate in the sense that it's whimsical, nobody really understands it and yet you need to try and control it or you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
V2's economics is a fine example of why you actually have to design mechanics and use abstraction, making something actually player-facing rather than a black box that doesn't really work.