Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Angry Salami posted:

That's the fundamental theme of TLJ; you can't break the cycle. In the end, Luke has to admit he won't be the last Jedi, he fails to destroy the Jedi's texts, and we close on a child slave, inherently strong in the Force, dreaming of freedom and worshiping again the legend of the Jedi Knights. We're right back at the Phantom Menace, and nothing has changed.

It's an easy film to hate because it seems to hate itself and to hate Star Wars. It's a series of vaguely connected stories linked by a common theme - pointlessness, despair, and the inevitability of tyranny. Just keep your head down, and maybe you'll get out alive, like DJ.
The movie is explicitly against DJ's point of view and the one you're espousing here. Finn's whole arc (and Luke's, for that matter) is about rejecting cynicism and the idea that nothing matters, and realizing that fighting for something good is worthwhile even if you fail at it.

DJ is wrong. Cynicism and apathy lead to complicity with evil. Kylo is wrong. The past can be learned from and built on. Luke at the beginning of the film is wrong. Failure is not an ending, it's something that can be turned around to make an individual or institution stronger. These characters all exist to provide viewpoints that the heroes challenge and ultimately reject, they are not the message of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

frugalmaster posted:

Luke isn't a real Jedi though. He wasn't trained extensively in the Jedi ways. He didn't grow up from the point of a child in the Jedi system. He's a psuedo-jedi or post-jedi. But he doesn't have the level of training or understanding of the Jedi system that a Jedi who was trained by the order does. So why would he know or understand all these things?

I guess I'm not tied to the strict concept that a true Jedi is one who has to have gone through the dogmatic and precise steps as depicted in the PT. It's obvious the steps to becoming a Jedi can be changed and refined depending on the person and the situation. It was modified for Anakin for example. Either way, both Master Yoda and Obi-Wan essentially sign off on Luke being a Jedi at the conclusion of RotJ. 

Also you're asking why Luke would have any understanding or knowledge of history within the Star Wars universe? gently caress if I know man, if you can't even use your imagination to explain how that's even possible, why are you looking at me to help you?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Salacious crumb binch

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

You can be awfully holier-than-thou, you know that?

It’s not a question of holiness, it’s a question of effectiveness. The toxin is inside of you.

To the extent that Solo is about anything, it’s about this weird quasi-illicit trade in spaceship fuel. It’s what the whole film centers around, even though it’s extremely, extremely poorly explained.

That general shoddiness of the films is why fans are reduced to pointless debate over whether, like, Luke is a real Jedi or not. We already had an ‘unofficial Jedi’ with Count Dooku - who officially left the Order because he saw that they were being influenced by Palpatine, but still considered himself a Jedi. TLJ is just repeating Episode 2, but without the interesting stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s not a question of holiness, it’s a question of effectiveness. The toxin is inside of you.

To the extent that Solo is about anything, it’s about this weird quasi-illicit trade in spaceship fuel. It’s what the whole film centers around, even though it’s extremely, extremely poorly explained.

That general shoddiness of the films is why fans are reduced to pointless debate over whether, like, Luke is a real Jedi or not. We already had an ‘unofficial Jedi’ with Count Dooku - who officially left the Order because he saw that they were being influenced by Palpatine, but still considered himself a Jedi. TLJ is just repeating Episode 2, but without the interesting stuff.

He had a funny way of following that up then, by becoming his apprentice in the Dark Side.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wasn't really clear on if this is regular fuel or some kind of rare super fuel or what. I think the movie implied both at different points.

Also if the only way to get raw fuel from Kessel to the nearest processing plant requires a super fast ship to go through a gravity well and Han is the first to pull it off... What are they mining it for? I may have misheard but I think someone said this planet was the only 'known' source of the raw stuff?

What is going on here?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I swear they don't say it's the only source---just the closest source of Raw Ore they can snatch and carry to a refinery fast enough to make it worthwhile for Voss to give them a chance instead of just shooting them. But I've already differed on this with a friend once so maybe it's I who am the crazy one
:pwn:

The film does make the nice point that there isn't really much difference between fuel and a weapon, and in the hands of the Nest it will no doubt be both.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But this source is apparently far enough from the nearest refinery you can't make it there without exploding unless you are Han Solo the millennium falcon. Who is refining it?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

But this source is apparently far enough from the nearest refinery you can't make it there without exploding unless you are Han Solo the millennium falcon. Who is refining it?

Wasn't there something about how most of the refineries are run by the empire, and the one they want to is the last independent one? There was some reason they had to head there in particular, I thought.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah if it was the closest independent refinery that makes sense

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
+It turns out that the refinery is operated by Infra's Nest's people, who've been enslaved by Red... Dawn? Red Sun? anyway that's the actual reason I.N. is involved to begin with, presumably. Also why Qi'ra is the one who thinks of it "oh, there's a refinery at _____" (which belongs to those Space- Third Worlders we've been extorting at gunpoint)
+The refinery is not intended to take ore from Kessel, which is too far away---presumably it goes to the Empire, who have their own means of refining it (maybe they have 'smelters' aboard their Star Destroyers or w/e).
+What the refinery usually does isn't explained. Presumably there's multiple kinds of space-fuel with the Organraxitanium or w/e being the powerfulest?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

He had a funny way of following that up then, by becoming his apprentice in the Dark Side.

Dooku’s goal was to recruit enough Jedi to help him assassinate Palpatine. The Jedi didn’t listen to him, so he ended up dead.

The main difference is that Dooku saw that the Jedi were under the influence of the dark side, and thought that his relative clarity of vision would allow him to withstand it.

Luke just gives up. In TLJ, he doesn’t say anything about the dark side when he lists the Jedi’s failings. Moreover, it’s very obvious that, when he’s talking about the Jedi Order, he’s talking about himself:

“Now that I’m in hiding, I am romanticized, deified. But if your strip away the myth and look at my deeds, the legacy of the Luke Skywalker is failure. Hypocrisy, hubris. At the height of my powers, I allowed Snoke to rise, create the First Order, and chase me away. I was responsible for the training and creation of Kylo Ren.”

If Luke were honest or self-aware, he would admit that he is (still) under the influence of the dark side. But then, Luke doesn’t even get the events of the prequels right.

He blames Obiwan for what happened to Anakin, and heavily downplays the Jedi’s association with Palpatine - referring to Palpatine as Darth Sidious, the ‘terrorist’ mastermind who attacked the Republic from outside. Luke still buys into the idea that Anakin was good, when we know that Anakin was a fascist and becoming Vader was a distinct improvement.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are you sure you don't actually really like TLJ?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

If dooku would've survived to see episode 3, he'd be in front of the burning Jedi temple with a Republic flag and when a Coruscant reporter would ask him what his goal was, he'd say "get to the temple, make the Jedi great again."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dooku's deal was that he was a rich bastard who went to the poor and dispossessed non-human peoples of the Outer Rim, who felt neglected by the rich, powerful, human-majority big city liberals on Corcuscant and said he was going to make the galaxy great again and keep the spice mines of Kessel open and load it up with bad dudes, and convinced them he was one of them even as his faction was led by a conglomerate of mega-corporation executives.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Does Solo have any coherent themes or was the possibility of them neutered and stunted by the change in director/committee writing?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Van Dis posted:

Does Solo have any coherent themes or was the possibility of them neutered and stunted by the change in director/committee writing?

I think it does-----both Paul Bettany and Woody Harrelson's characters are presented as possible future paths Han Solo might go down. But Voss is ultimately undone by his trust/warped love for Qi'ra, while Beckett seems incapable of forming real bonds with anyone (although he somewhat perfunctorily mourns for his lost partners he picks up and moves on readily without them). By the end Han is shown how either path----lone desperado, criminal warlord---lead to bad ends. On the other hand he stops being the naive kid who will trust any vaguely paternal figure----"smart move, kid. I'd have shot you down." He ends the movie with a partner he can trust, rather than the blind and misplaced faith he put in Qi'ra or Beckett.

Lando's role in the movie is actually almost a cautionary tale. Again, he's a scoundrel of a different type from Beckett or Voss, and someone who's "further along" than Han presently is---perhaps another aspirational figure. But Lando keeps his partner at an emotional distance, leading (thematically) to her brutal death and then cannibalization into the Millennium Falcon.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 7, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dishwasher posted:

I'd leave too if I had that much heat and knew I could jump somewhere else for the same or more money to another project that people aren't literally calling for my head for. And I can't blame Disney, when people are being so irrational it's best to cut losses. It's a shame you can count this as a victory for the alt-reich though.

I see that angle for sure but I also have a bunch of rabidly liberal friends who hate what she has done to SW so :shrug:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

But see, that's the thing- you don't say it's inside of "us"- you, presumably by this omission, are pure and good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lord Hydronium posted:

The movie is explicitly against DJ's point of view and the one you're espousing here. Finn's whole arc (and Luke's, for that matter) is about rejecting cynicism and the idea that nothing matters, and realizing that fighting for something good is worthwhile even if you fail at it.

DJ is wrong. Cynicism and apathy lead to complicity with evil. Kylo is wrong. The past can be learned from and built on. Luke at the beginning of the film is wrong. Failure is not an ending, it's something that can be turned around to make an individual or institution stronger. These characters all exist to provide viewpoints that the heroes challenge and ultimately reject, they are not the message of the film.

DJ's point of view isn't that nothing matters and that fighting for something good isn't worthwhile. It's that the Resistance/Republic/Rebellion do not fight for good, and therefore they specifically do not matter.

None of the surviving members of the Re* address this. They never actually refute the cynicism and apathy. They just survive.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Honestly I felt like whether by design or accident, Solo came up with a pretty nuanced take on the old "growing up" theme that I think puts it above either Guardians of the Galaxy movie (which sorta celebrate perpetual adolescence, really).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross posting with the Trump thread, but I fell down a YouTube hole today and found out that Ben Shapiro loving hates The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Which makes me even happier about those movies.

However, he also loves the Thrawn books, so I think I have to change my username.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dooku's deal was that he was a rich bastard who went to the poor and dispossessed non-human peoples of the Outer Rim, who felt neglected by the rich, powerful, human-majority big city liberals on Corcuscant and said he was going to make the galaxy great again and keep the spice mines of Kessel open and load it up with bad dudes, and convinced them he was one of them even as his faction was led by a conglomerate of mega-corporation executives.

Now what does it say when both ST films have been aligned with Dooku, ideologically?

Van Dis posted:

Does Solo have any coherent themes

Nope, not really.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

DJ's point of view isn't that nothing matters and that fighting for something good isn't worthwhile. It's that the Resistance/Republic/Rebellion do not fight for good, and therefore they specifically do not matter.

None of the surviving members of the Re* address this. They never actually refute the cynicism and apathy. They just survive.

It's almost like by avoiding the dreaded ~space politics~ the fans said was lame and boring and bad the Sequel trilogy has removed the context that informs what the characters actually stand for, leading to everyone grasping for meaning on basic things like 'why did Kylo Ren turn bad?' and 'what even was the Republic?'

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If you base your likes on what other people (you disagree with) hate you'll not like anything. Imagine not eating foods nazis like to eat :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Van Dis posted:

Sort of? I mean it seems the script itself was largely preserved (the reason Lord and Miller were fired was they were "changing too much"), the bones of a story are there, but I think the film does in that sense underscore that a script needs good direction to bring those qualities forth. Like you could do something with these supposedly free bandits being the disposable pawns of the power that exploits them, just as they were when they were fighting for the Empire, but the film never really brings it off. The deaths in the train chase are meant to be a big deal on some level but they kinda don't hit. In addition to the colors being muted the image seems a lot *dimmer* than it needs to be, like a 3-D film where they haven't really thought the effects of the process through. So the images lack impact.

(And again the last third of the film has decent lighting, even the parts that had to be reshoots because Paul Bettany is in them, so WTF happened I don't know.)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I see that angle for sure but I also have a bunch of rabidly liberal friends who hate what she has done to SW so :shrug:

What did Darth Kennedy do exactly to bring out this vitriol in your rabidly liberal cohorts?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

I think it does-----both Paul Bettany and Woody Harrelson's characters are presented as possible future paths Han Solo might go down. But Voss is ultimately undone by his trust/warped love for Qi'ra, while Beckett seems incapable of forming real bonds with anyone (although he somewhat perfunctorily mourns for his lost partners he picks up and moves on readily without them). By the end Han is shown how either path----lone desperado, criminal warlord---lead to bad ends. On the other hand he stops being the naive kid who will trust any vaguely paternal figure----"smart move, kid. I'd have shot you down." He ends the movie with a partner he can trust, rather than the blind and misplaced faith he put in Qi'ra or Beckett.

Lando's role in the movie is actually almost a cautionary tale. Again, he's a scoundrel of a different type from Beckett or Voss, and someone who's "further along" than Han presently is---perhaps another aspirational figure. But Lando keeps his partner at an emotional distance, leading (thematically) to her brutal death and then cannibalization into the Millennium Falcon.

I think that's as close as the movie gets to a coherent theme, but the problem I have with it is that Han is never tempted by Voss. He certainly likes the party he and Beckett walk into but I never got the sense that Han wants to emulate Voss at all. I'm not even sure he wants to emulate Beckett, whose whole deal is not trusting people. Han seems to instinctively trust people, like Qi'ra and the Imperial who they try to bribe to escape Corellia, Chewie. Most significantly Han says that Beckett's philosophy is a lonely way to go through life, and he only shoots Beckett when he realizes he has no other choice if he wants to live. He's forced to learn to be distrustful, but only of people who have already betrayed him, which seems a bit underwhelming as a thematic underpin. (He was even going to buy into Lando's game at the end before he knew about Lando's sleeve mechanism, and Lando had already abandoned him once!)

Han isn't much different at the end of the movie than he was at the beginning, so I think it's hard to have a strong theme that deals with his character. At least, that's my interpretation. Yours is good though, and probably as much of a character-focused theme as we can wring from the movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

But see, that's the thing- you don't say it's inside of "us"- you, presumably by this omission, are pure and good.

I am an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately. I do not actually exist.

I’m also making fun of your ‘toxic subjects’ silliness.

Again, it’s a question of effectiveness. I am appropriating Star Wars. By remaining resolute on the issue of droid slavery, I am creating division between those interested in truth and those who engage in deceit. My approach is not amenable to racists.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AndyElusive posted:

What did Darth Kennedy do exactly to bring out this vitriol in your rabidly liberal cohorts?

I didn't ask. They just didn't like TLJ I guess.

I mean, personally I don't really care at this point and I would lol internally if the rumor was all fake and KK and RJ come back and double down on everything just to hear the sweet screams on social media.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I am an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately. I do not actually exist.

Ah but we've established, in this thread, that robots, holograms, AI etc. are in fact people. Therefore you do exist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tay has shown us that even the purest of chatbots can turn to evil

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Now what does it say when both ST films have been aligned with Dooku, ideologically?

To be entirely honest I don't really care all that much.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

she been the actual president of Lucasfilm since 2012 when Disney acquired it, and ultimately the buck does stop with her if you dislike how Star Wars has been handled as a franchise (and there's potentially quite a bit to dislike, both on the creative and business sides of things)

if you hoped Disney acquiring Star Wars was going to be an improvement at this point your hopes have to be pretty thoroughly dashed, since we've now had 4 mediocre movies that have made it increasingly clear there's no plan in place beyond fractal nostalgia mining

I agree people can be questionably fixated on her, but it's not like upper-level Disney execs experiencing public vitriol/criticism is unprecedented (Eisner wasn't exactly beloved by the end of his tenure)

and I really do think a lot of the issues with Disney Star Wars are attributable to the way she's handled things (note: this is not because she's a bad producer but because she seems like a good director's producer in charge of a franchise that needed much firmer top-down management at the inception)

e: oh and as a data point that may have some bearing on the business and audience reception side of this (and related) discussions, TLJ appears to have only sold about half as many blu-rays as TFA did during the first 3 weeks of release

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 7, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always felt the quick embrace of the "Darth Jar Jar" meme by the fandom was a bit space racist, Jar Jar is nothing but altruistic and truthful throughout the prequel trilogy, but the majority of the fandom (including those who loudly proclaim the fandom should be all-encompassing) hated the character and his portrayal (which was co-signed by Ahmed Best, let's remember) so much, that they were quick to believe he was "evil all along" just on the strength of how much his otherness put them off.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So I was called away to clean toilets per my current employment and whilst grouting fuzz and feces from the crevices I had an opportunity to think more about Solo.

+One of the reasons people are seeing a lack of any driving themes in the movie might be they're thinking of it as a sci-fi film. Of course, "Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi" is an old canard. However as I think has been established over many threads you can look at Star Wars as a series of sci-fi films about A) telecommunication with a strong influence of McLuhan's thought on telecommunication and perception, and; B) A.I.; really Solo's only relationship to the Star Wars galaxy is branding and it's best thought of as a Western in Sci-Fi Drag, vs Star Wars's SF-saga which occasionally gives nods to the Western.

+In fact Solo takes place in a mythic past best thought of as a mashup between Early Industrial America and WWI. 19th-Century Philadelphia or Newark could easily stand in for the industrial slagheap of Corellia. Voss could just as easily be the agent of a shady railroad company, the fuel gold ore from a quasi-legal mine in Mexican territory, and so-on.

+It's actually (and this might be going into what really rubs SMG the wrong way about it) embracing a Future-Primitive Aesthetic, cued in by the Comanche-style accessories of Infra's Nest and the Ghost in the Shell-style choral theme that announces their appearance. Recall last year's live-action Ghost in the Shell specifically calls out this kind of Anarcho-Primitivism as stupid---Kusanagi pre-cyborgification was just some lame hippy who died pointlessly standing in front of a tank or whatever. In this way Ghost in the Shell (2017) was actually an interesting thematic reversal from the 1995 movie. I don't know if it was John Powell or Ron Howard or whoever that chose the choral motif used for Infra's Nest but it slots them well into that kind of archetypal Techno-Savagery reflected in GitS's Hong Kong setting.

--->Furthermore, who are the only 'futurists' we see in the story? There's the Empire---who are corrupt pricks and doing a fine job of misruling the galaxy---and 'exploiters' such as Lady Proxima and the guys in charge of the Kessel Mine, and these latter are comically weak opponents who are fairly easily defeated. Who's actually cool, threatening and forms the real nemeses in the movie? Beckett, a Space Cowboy, and Voss, who lives in a Neo-Deco Space Yacht filled with cool medieval weapons and taxidermied animals, uses archaic Klingon knuckledaggers and so-on. Most of all, Infra's Nest, who dress like Savagely Noble Noble Space Savages, we're told are the Rebellion in its incipient, embryonic (and therefore purest) form.

Van Dis posted:

I think that's as close as the movie gets to a coherent theme, but the problem I have with it is that Han is never tempted by Voss. He certainly likes the party he and Beckett walk into but I never got the sense that Han wants to emulate Voss at all. I'm not even sure he wants to emulate Beckett, whose whole deal is not trusting people. Han seems to instinctively trust people, like Qi'ra and the Imperial who they try to bribe to escape Corellia, Chewie. Most significantly Han says that Beckett's philosophy is a lonely way to go through life, and he only shoots Beckett when he realizes he has no other choice if he wants to live. He's forced to learn to be distrustful, but only of people who have already betrayed him, which seems a bit underwhelming as a thematic underpin. (He was even going to buy into Lando's game at the end before he knew about Lando's sleeve mechanism, and Lando had already abandoned him once!)

Han isn't much different at the end of the movie than he was at the beginning, so I think it's hard to have a strong theme that deals with his character. At least, that's my interpretation. Yours is good though, and probably as much of a character-focused theme as we can wring from the movie.

I think the thing with Voss is that he himself isn't a figure of emulation the way Beckett is. I mean, with his open collar and taste for Interwar/Late Empire trappings he pretty much evokes (to me) a Russian Oligarch, and it's easy to imagine his face is hosed up from a bad brush with some kind of Space-Krokodil. Voss is decadent and barely in control of himself (the first time we see him he's just gutted a planetary governor---probably not someone he should have gutted---and then he turns away and wipes his face like "whew! sometimes I really lose it.") It's what he has that tempts Han----Han's looking around the cush pad like "so this is what having a ship could give me...." and then of course, mainly, what Voss has is Qi'ra.

I mean, it's easy to fall into the trap that Han is just in denial, or that he's very stupid. And since the movie is very uninterested in Han's internal psychology (seriously, Chewie gets a more in-depth look from the camera), it's easy to come away thinking that; but it's not what's meant to be going on. It's not denial so much as it's Samurai Spirit----Han made a promise, he's not going to give up on Qi'ra, drat the facts, so-on. But that nobility itself is a fatal weakness. In a sense Qi'ra throws away her chance at freedom---sacrifices herself---so that Han won't have to lose his better nature.

You can definitely accuse the movie of having muddled its theme but I prefer to see it as nuance. Han's refusal to give up on others---Beckett, Qi'ra---is a fatal weakness and a source of strength. Becoming an untrusting lone wolf like Beckett or Lando would be a mistake, but refusing to face painful reality brings you to an end like Voss---who never saw his death coming. Han does end up with a partner in Chewbacca who he can truly put his trust in---and, this is important, their relationship isn't purely reciprocal. Like, why does Chewie go back to Han over helping those other Wookies? The whole concept of a Life Debt is conspicuously unmentioned in Solo. It's not about duty or whatever. Chewie realizes Han needs him. He matches Han's belief in doing the right thing because it's the right thing, which no other character in the movie manages.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The entire movie is a setup for the “It really was parsecs all along” punchline which is why nobody learns or changes and nothing that occurs has any real significance outside of this incredibly small story and the truth of the Han Solo origin story is just that he was a good guy all along.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well, you know, it is true----all of it

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

I think the thing with Voss is that he himself isn't a figure of emulation the way Beckett is. I mean, with his open collar and taste for Interwar/Late Empire trappings he pretty much evokes (to me) a Russian Oligarch, and it's easy to imagine his face is hosed up from a bad brush with some kind of Space-Krokodil. Voss is decadent and barely in control of himself (the first time we see him he's just gutted a planetary governor---probably not someone he should have gutted---and then he turns away and wipes his face like "whew! sometimes I really lose it.") It's what he has that tempts Han----Han's looking around the cush pad like "so this is what having a ship could give me...." and then of course, mainly, what Voss has is Qi'ra.

I mean, it's easy to fall into the trap that Han is just in denial, or that he's very stupid. And since the movie is very uninterested in Han's internal psychology (seriously, Chewie gets a more in-depth look from the camera), it's easy to come away thinking that; but it's not what's meant to be going on. It's not denial so much as it's Samurai Spirit----Han made a promise, he's not going to give up on Qi'ra, drat the facts, so-on. But that nobility itself is a fatal weakness. In a sense Qi'ra throws away her chance at freedom---sacrifices herself---so that Han won't have to lose his better nature.

You can definitely accuse the movie of having muddled its theme but I prefer to see it as nuance. Han's refusal to give up on others---Beckett, Qi'ra---is a fatal weakness and a source of strength. Becoming an untrusting lone wolf like Beckett or Lando would be a mistake, but refusing to face painful reality brings you to an end like Voss---who never saw his death coming. Han does end up with a partner in Chewbacca who he can truly put his trust in---and, this is important, their relationship isn't purely reciprocal. Like, why does Chewie go back to Han over helping those other Wookies? The whole concept of a Life Debt is conspicuously unmentioned in Solo. It's not about duty or whatever. Chewie realizes Han needs him. He matches Han's belief in doing the right thing because it's the right thing, which no other character in the movie manages.

I agree that apart from his promise to Qi'ra, which is pretty much deflated halfway through the movie, Han is most tempted by money and freedom, as symbolized by ownership of a ship. And that's still his motivation by the end of the movie, as he flies off to Jabba. I just don't think the movie really presents Voss and Lando to Han like "hey, here are some things you can be" - Han isn't interested in their lives, just their possessions, like you say. He has his own idea of what he wants to be ("an outlaw" as he claims) and that's basically what he is, despite Qi'ra's protestations that he's a good guy. And yet the movie clearly wants him to be, but I think it's fighting its own internal logic there, hence the muddled theme. Han's interest in Chewie is given pretty short shrift; the campfire scene shows Han sympathizing with Chewie a bit but I think it is significant that Han doesn't help Chewie free the other wookiees on Kessel. So I wouldn't go so far as to say that Han is motivated by doing the right thing, at least not in comparison to Chewie.

Han's explicit motivation for most of the film is hyperfuel, which is as mysterious a macguffin at the end of the movie as at the start. The movie doesn't show its significance apart from the fact that it's highly explosive and can power fleets and a little bit injected into the Falcon makes it go fast, but I was still unsatisfied as to why it's important, because the movie doesn't contextualize it. This probably wouldn't bother me as much if the movie had better character writing.

This is all part of why I think the theme is incoherent - because in a movie that is primarily about a character, the character is not significantly affected by events in the movie, so the movie doesn't give us a sense of how Han becomes the guy we meet in ANH. Honestly Solo feels more like an MCU movie than anything else as far as having static main characters who speed from one explosion/fight to another without developing. Chewie sticking around because he realizes Han needs him is more generous a reading than I'm willing to give the movie; I think the movie conveniently drops Chewie's character motivation out of disinterest once the narrative got Han into the Falcon.

Anyway I appreciate your reading but it's a bit too generous for me, meeting the movie way more than halfway in analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

ruddiger posted:

I always felt the quick embrace of the "Darth Jar Jar" meme by the fandom was a bit space racist, Jar Jar is nothing but altruistic and truthful throughout the prequel trilogy, but the majority of the fandom (including those who loudly proclaim the fandom should be all-encompassing) hated the character and his portrayal (which was co-signed by Ahmed Best, let's remember) so much, that they were quick to believe he was "evil all along" just on the strength of how much his otherness put them off.

I don't think Jar-Jar is nearly as hated as he was when the movies first came out.

Also, how can you guys analyze the moral message of a movie that changed directors when it was pretty much 90% done and completely changed in tone and style?

I don't care if the Lord and Miller movie would have been bad at least it wouldn't have been different and even potentially interesting.

Pulling them off the project and placing some generic sci-fi director on it is the problem Star Wars has. It's too afraid to stray from the tried and true cycle and it twists itself into all kind of moral conundrums because of that. It stops making sense.

I would love to see a Star Wars comedy film.

I would love to see a Star Wars film that was actually a war film.

It would be great if one of these films was anything but a space fantasy-western david vs goliath flick. But they really haven't been. You can't remake the same movie 12 loving times and expect something not to give!

frugalmaster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 8, 2018