Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I find it easier to have my own characters sheets (paper, excel, whatever) and just make a few macros for rolling rather than use roll20s built-in character sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrast posted:

I find it easier to have my own characters sheets (paper, excel, whatever) and just make a few macros for rolling rather than use roll20s own character sheets

Yeah the roll20 sheets suck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

I find it easier to have my own characters sheets (paper, excel, whatever) and just make a few macros for rolling rather than use roll20s built-in character sheets

One trick I learned with making my Excel character sheets is that you can do all your clumsy/ugly computations in a separate sheet to serve as a "backend":

And then you can have a nice "frontend" where you worry about all the nice formatting and information display, but is really just pulling all the data from the backend sheets (the Concatenate feature is nice for this):

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Roll20 sheets, like those for Blades in the Dark and its hacks and the sheets for Stars Without Number, are really drat good. Others, like the sheets for Shadow of the Demon Lord, are functionally fine but ugly.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

Speculative wunderwaffen is way more interesting when a) it's acknowledged that it was desperate and stupid and b) the outcome blows up in the Reich's face, like Day after Ragnarok and Cold City/Hot War

Guys, we already wrote the book on that (literally). It's called My Tank is Fight, and it profiles all of the stupidest weapons of World War II (nearly all are German) and engages in some hypothetical fiction if they had actually worked. I'm pretty sure one of the consistent themes for the Germans is 'all the money/material/manpower they blew on these pie-in-the-sky ideas probably shortened the war because they diverted resources from things that actually worked'.

spectralent posted:

**ignore also that this would require the design to be far simpler/less labour intensive/less material-hungry/whatever.

And this was the central flaw of most German designs. Look at cross-sections of the T-34 and the Panther. Hell, just look at the bolt for the Mauser and the Mosin-Nagant. Yes, a standard Kar98 has a very nice, smooth bolt but you can definitely tell that it's very complex. Maybe the Mosin's doesn't feel as nice, but it's relatively simple and the drat thing works (which is the important part) so it can be produced en masse easily and cheaply.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's an official DW sheet on roll20 and an unofficial one (plus a bunch of ones in other languages), but neither of them come pre-populated with moves like say, the Blades in the Dark sheets do.

Either way, the GM really shouldn't be doing anything to the DW sheets other than creating the shared documents on roll20 and setting the ownership to the right player. Let the players copy in the moves they've taken (and not the ones they haven't) as they pick them.

I’m still getting used to roll20 as well as DW character creation myself, and at least one of my players doesn’t have any familiarity with roll20 that I know of. I expect to have to occasionally guide them through character creation and mess with their sheet myself, so...plus, I’ll be adding monsters, NPCs, magic items, etc - so I need to get familiar with editing and inputting stuff.

The Blades in the Dark sheets look super goddamn cool, tho.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LuiCypher posted:

Guys, we already wrote the book on that (literally). It's called My Tank is Fight, and it profiles all of the stupidest weapons of World War II (nearly all are German) and engages in some hypothetical fiction if they had actually worked. I'm pretty sure one of the consistent themes for the Germans is 'all the money/material/manpower they blew on these pie-in-the-sky ideas probably shortened the war because they diverted resources from things that actually worked'.

And this was the central flaw of most German designs. Look at cross-sections of the T-34 and the Panther. Hell, just look at the bolt for the Mauser and the Mosin-Nagant. Yes, a standard Kar98 has a very nice, smooth bolt but you can definitely tell that it's very complex. Maybe the Mosin's doesn't feel as nice, but it's relatively simple and the drat thing works (which is the important part) so it can be produced en masse easily and cheaply.

It makes you wonder at the mindset of the people designing this stuff- like they seemed to believe that German engineering could accomplish anything.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well let's see what Rudolf Von Stroheim thinks of that.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

It makes you wonder at the mindset of the people designing this stuff- like they seemed to believe that German engineering could accomplish anything.

Fascism is about being the protagonist of the story in their head. Of course they could accomplish anything the narrative required.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Bar Crow posted:

Fascism is about being the protagonist of the story in their head. Of course they could accomplish anything the narrative required.

This is literally true. All that "Triumph of the Will" poo poo. In Japan that got filtered down through the ages into all those shonen protagonists who "had heart"/believed in themselves until their plot-powers activated. The shoujo version made an interesting twist where it's usually friendship that's necessary to defeat evil. Sometimes being friends with the evil but usually just being friends with other girls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

This is literally true. All that "Triumph of the Will" poo poo. In Japan that got filtered down through the ages into all those shonen protagonists who "had heart"/believed in themselves until their plot-powers activated. The shoujo version made an interesting twist where it's usually friendship that's necessary to defeat evil. Sometimes being friends with the evil but usually just being friends with other girls.
i cant believe *checks notes* karate kid is an expression of japanese fascism

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Are you saying that believing in yourself makes you a fascist

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The true genre of fascism is isekai

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Funny thing about that but an isekai anime just got cancelled after they found out the original book author is an ultranationalist

https://kotaku.com/racist-twitter-comments-lead-to-animes-cancellation-1826630517

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

id say more colonialism

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

fool_of_sound posted:

Well I mean AI know-nothing Eliezer Yudkowsky (of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality) wrote one and he's at least Dark Enlightenment adjacent, so...

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Karate Kid also used a lot of training and a "secret special move" that won through power of sheer dorkiness. But the shonen trope is derived from fascist belief, if run through many years of stripping out the nationalism and racism from...most series. It's also where the dumb blood type personality stuff comes from.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

occamsnailfile posted:

Karate Kid also used a lot of training and a "secret special move" that won through power of sheer dorkiness.

He won by cheating, the rules said no kicks to the face.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fuego Fish posted:

It's possible they gave him a pass because that was the most telegraphed attack since "I'm gonna swing my arms and walk forward and it's your fault if you get hit" and the Cobra Kai kid ran right into it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Fuego Fish posted:

Johnny calls him out on this in Cobra Kai.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

occamsnailfile posted:

Karate Kid also used a lot of training and a "secret special move" that won through power of sheer dorkiness. But the shonen trope is derived from fascist belief, if run through many years of stripping out the nationalism and racism from...most series. It's also where the dumb blood type personality stuff comes from.

:whitewater:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Karate is super fascist, actually. The art as we know it was invented in the early 20th century, adapted to suit contemporary (militaristic and nationalistic) trends, and dressed up in "ancient wisdom" that ranges from apocrypha to silly urban legends.

Okinawan karate was marketed to Japanese politicians with the argument that it would train children to be good soldiers, and train conquered people to be obedient subjects of the Japanese empire.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 7, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Moriatti posted:

Johnny calls him out on this in Cobra Kai.

Johnny if I remember the closing tourney montage correctly, had also previously won a match with a spinning roundhouse to another kids face so, fair game I say.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
e: nvm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

remusclaw posted:

Johnny if I remember the closing tourney montage correctly, had also previously won a match with a spinning roundhouse to another kids face so, fair game I say.
Tournament karate has always had weird rules that vary from one tournament to another. "You can hit the head, but not specifically the face" is one you see a lot. Now they have the foam-rubber gear that doesn't cover the face, so it's "you score points by hitting only the headgear."

Under some rules, you can score points by bonking someone on the top of their head. It's very silly.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Tournament karate has always had weird rules that vary from one tournament to another. "You can hit the head, but not specifically the face" is one you see a lot. Now they have the foam-rubber gear that doesn't cover the face, so it's "you score points by hitting only the headgear."

Under some rules, you can score points by bonking someone on the top of their head. It's very silly.

I'm having a hell of a time verifying if I'm right or not, lots of videos online of the Crane kick fight but none of the clips of the tourney. I remember thinking that every other fighter in the final tournament looked better than both finalists.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

That Old Tree posted:

It's possible they gave him a pass because that was the most telegraphed attack since "I'm gonna swing my arms and walk forward and it's your fault if you get hit" and the Cobra Kai kid ran right into it.
I choose to believe it's this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He did do that move where he catches a guy's wrist, loops his leg over and kicks him right in the face, yeah.

Another common rule was no punches to the head. AFAIK this started in Japanese schools like the Kyokushin that didn't want to get shut down by the American occupiers, but similar rules hung around for a lot of reasons, not least that Japanese martial arts typically have lousy handwork and nobody wanted a boxer to come in and win the local karate tournament by just swarming with punches.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Plutonis posted:

Are you saying that believing in yourself makes you a fascist

I think there's an interesting and complicated relationship between believing that you can accomplish anything through willpower alone and all kinds of lovely politics, which doesn't mean that all stories about accomplishing things through determination are secretly fascist or even bad.

Like, on the one hand taking that premise to an excess gives you the Just World fallacy, and it's something people constantly use to excuse the predatory nature of capitalism. On the other hand, very few stories emphasize just how little control we really have over our lives, because it's both depressing and (often) not especially good drama.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think there's an interesting and complicated relationship between believing that you can accomplish anything through willpower alone and all kinds of lovely politics, which doesn't mean that all stories about accomplishing things through determination are secretly fascist or even bad.

Like, on the one hand taking that premise to an excess gives you the Just World fallacy, and it's something people constantly use to excuse the predatory nature of capitalism. On the other hand, very few stories emphasize just how little control we really have over our lives, because it's both depressing and (often) not especially good drama.

Berserk is perfect, because it’s all about monstrous determination in the face of overwhelming futility.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Gumshoe 1 and 2 are part of the current humble bundle.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya guys, I have a quick question.

Some of my players aren't enjoying the system we are playing with and I was wondering what might be a good idea to continue using the characters, whilst also altering the system itself.

So, for background this is my first time GM'ing anything. I am running an adapted version of the Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes storyline set in Dragon Pass during the resettlement. It is presently using the Heroquest system and one of my players is feeling a bit adrift in the system. They understand it, but they aren't especially keen on the "roll under and compare" set up that Heroquest has. He's described himself in the following way "To steal a term from MTG, I'm what one would describe as a Melvin - someone who is most excited by a game's mechanics. Heroquest has pretty much one mechanic".

The other person has said they love the setting and characters, plus my storytelling which is always nice, but they don't like the "single roll determinate" stuff. I can see the appeal of the DnD because the abstraction makes your successes and failures feel more "impactful" almost.

I am very much of the opposite framework, I have difficulty with mathematics and learning systems, but like telling stories. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice, and just to see if this sort of thing has happened to anyone else.

Thanks a lot!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 8, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Strike! Maybe?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Strike! Maybe?

Nahh I think they are both wanting to chuck handfuls of die around a bit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like you just don’t have any overlapping interests.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like you just don’t have any overlapping interests.

They were, at least, enjoying my descriptions, the plot, the setting and the way I included people. That said I think I may just have to start learning how to do systems.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Nahh I think they are both wanting to chuck handfuls of die around a bit.

This may be the only group where I'd recommend Genesys for?

Your mechanics player may enjoy Cortex+ though.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 9, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

This may be the only group were I'd recommend Genesys for?

Your mechanics player may enjoy Cortex+ though.

Will check those out. Thank you.

I think it is more that they appreciate rules and boundary setting whereas I tend to play a bit more fast and loose with this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I think Genesys actually might be a good option here (caveat being that I've only played the Star Wars RPG and read some of the Genesys material, so I can't 100% say what's different between the two). It involves a lot of dice chucking and systems for the players who get into a lot of those things, but doesn't handcuff you too badly as a GM when it comes to how to interpret those die results. Like any system, there are probably a lot of over-specific rules that you might wanna choose to house-rule or ignore though. Long story short, basically the dice rolls give you a good means to measure whether the players are successful at something, and even if they're successful, whether or not they "succeed" in quite the way they intended. Still enough stats and specialization of characters for the players to tailor them to do what they want them to, though.