Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've said it several times before but what I'd really love is if there's a small chance for minor skaven clans to spawn in ruined cities throughout the world. Give the 'scout ruins' hero action more of a point, you know? And shake up the map to boot if you get a surprise skaven incursion in an area that's been razed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Even with more varied starts, the ME world is so large that by the time you're finding a lot of factions, you're well into the stage of endgame TW that just kind of suck as you auto-resolve everything as your doomstacks paint the map.

e: More starts would be great, don't get me wrong. But the ME map needs to be a lot smaller.

I agree but that’s a more fundamental TW problem, I think. With races more evenly scattered then as say Karl you could at least fight some battles against elves, skaven, or whoever in the tense early-mid game.

Some kind of mechanic that gives a vs AI only bonus to a random set of LLs each game might be fun too, so you can count on having some jacked end game enemies each time but can’t predict them.

Plus again, cool reasonable goals that affect your game/end before total slog sets in

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

John Charity Spring posted:

I've said it several times before but what I'd really love is if there's a small chance for minor skaven clans to spawn in ruined cities throughout the world. Give the 'scout ruins' hero action more of a point, you know? And shake up the map to boot if you get a surprise skaven incursion in an area that's been razed.

Actually, this is a great idea. As Chaos, Beastmen or Norsca raze cities to the ground, Skaven start popping out of the under-empire and occupying the ruins. It would make a really interesting second stage to the chaos invasion where you then have to deal with the vermintide in it's wake.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1199699451 This does this somewhat, though it's more of "ruins have a chance to be occupied by any active Skaven clan", so Eshin could pop up in the Old World if people have been neglecting settling ruins. Also comes with various mechanics to give Skaven more of a presence in the Old World, through province corruption modifiers and whatnot.

In other news, I think I'm sick of waiting for these mods to update for the Empire and might as well play a Dwarf game to ease back into WH2. drat shame some of them that are key to mixing up the Badlands brawl (like Leylos' mod that puts Skaven in the Badlands) aren't updated and won't be in anytime soon due to reasons like busted comps and et cetera.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Can one just shrink the scale of everything on the map? Sure it would make provinces smaller, settlements closer together, and whatnot, but that would lead to more chaos and fighting (a good thing, surely). Or is scale in this context really more about the number of factions, armies, and characters from a processing perspective?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I want to believe that the distance between settlements was intentionally set to provide balance of some of some sort but I'm not entirely sure that's true.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

In other news, I think I'm sick of waiting for these mods to update for the Empire and might as well play a Dwarf game to ease back into WH2. drat shame some of them that are key to mixing up the Badlands brawl (like Leylos' mod that puts Skaven in the Badlands) aren't updated and won't be in anytime soon due to reasons like busted comps and et cetera.

Play Karak Kadrin! Your first few turns are still fighting orcs but it's a much sooner transition to fighting VC and Norsca than the Eternal Badlands Hellwar

Also, for everyone who's sick of Tyrion and Malekeith turn 1 beelining for the Widowmaker, here's a super low impact mod that makes it so the AI lord must be at least level 10 to even consider drawing it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400016908

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 7, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the big map is too dense. it shocked the hell out of me when they released the me map and there was still 6 useless, identical provinces in the badlands, and way too much poo poo up north

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gay Horney posted:

the big map is too dense. it shocked the hell out of me when they released the me map and there was still 6 useless, identical provinces in the badlands, and way too much poo poo up north

Yeah tbh I'd rather more provinces in the Empire/Bretonnia/southern realms and way less in the badlands and Norsca. Give the central part of the map and the world more poo poo so you can add more fun factions to where the central showdown happens. Having enough empire land for all the races to show up, as they do in the lore, is way more fun than having 15 variations of "minor norse" and "minor orc"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 7, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
smaller map, less movement speed, done

also skaven everywhere

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Can one just shrink the scale of everything on the map? Sure it would make provinces smaller, settlements closer together, and whatnot, but that would lead to more chaos and fighting (a good thing, surely). Or is scale in this context really more about the number of factions, armies, and characters from a processing perspective?
Both. For instance, you could cut Nordland as a faction and cut that space down a lot in terms of space and settlements. Basically, I'm imagining zooming everything out so you could have something where the three empire settlements near the east part of the Reikland become one. Carroburg and the western part of the Reikland similarly. The wood elves don't really need 4 factions, you could just cut them to 2, etc.

Fewer settlements mean that you will come into conflict a lot more. For norsca to attack the Reikland , they have to pass 3 settlements if the go directly from north to south, which takes several turns. If the map was small enough and the only settlement they had to pass was the Middenland, you'd fight norscan raiders much earlier.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 7, 2018

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I think just cutting a lot of the minor factions and confederating them with the Majors would cut down on turn times a lot.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Every so often I remember how hilariously terrible treasure hunts are

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Every so often I remember how hilariously terrible treasure hunts are

i forget they even exist. the dev who pushed for that idea is probably pissed that they didn't match up to his dreams

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Treasure hunts should be like Heroes of Might and Magic dungeon raids: causes a hostile neutral stack to appear that you'll have to beat for a guaranteed item and resettling the region automatically. That way you either spend cash and troops to capture a destroyed settlement instantly, or risk a strong stack spawning for a free resettle and item.

Also yeah, time to see what's up with the Slayer King. I think I'll drop all Warriors from my usual composition and instead fill their slots with Slayers; as opposed to enemies getting the poo poo bombarded out of them as they crash into walls of steel-clad beards, it'll be enemies getting the poo poo bombarded out of them and then getting slaughtered by angry naked beards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

Treasure hunts should be like Heroes of Might and Magic dungeon raids: causes a hostile neutral stack to appear that you'll have to beat for a guaranteed item and resettling the region automatically. That way you either spend cash and troops to capture a destroyed settlement instantly, or risk a strong stack spawning for a free resettle and item.

Also yeah, time to see what's up with the Slayer King. I think I'll drop all Warriors from my usual composition and instead fill their slots with Slayers; as opposed to enemies getting the poo poo bombarded out of them as they crash into walls of steel-clad beards, it'll be enemies getting the poo poo bombarded out of them and then getting slaughtered by angry naked beards.

For the first turns that’s required bc slayers are the only thing you can recruit

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
slayers are the only thing you should recruit

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

I think just cutting a lot of the minor factions and confederating them with the Majors would cut down on turn times a lot.

Yeah this is my wish, just a check box you tick at the start of an ME campaign that cuts out the "fight your own faction" part of the early campaigns and starts you out with a mini empire.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know how to fix the GAME ENDING HELP bug where you can't do anything on a new turn because a event you cannot see or click away is on screen? Googling told me to turn the advisor down to the lowest amount, but he's always been on the lowest setting. Loading the turn before or a couple of turns before does not help either.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For the first turns that’s required bc slayers are the only thing you can recruit

Yeah, I think this first run is about to go south since I went for a tool workshop instead of barracks. 8 Slayers are scary, but they won't last against arrows.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, I won. OK, maybe I could just throw Slayers at everything.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 7, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I think this first run is about to go south since I went for a tool workshop instead of barracks. 8 Slayers are scary, but they won't last against arrows.

Which is a problem, because Greenskin stacks tend to be filled with archers. And with 0 Armor they tend to die quick if they have to frontline against generic boyz too. Sure they'll cause a lot of damage, but having to replace them gets expensive real fast given their initial recruit cost.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know how to fix the GAME ENDING HELP bug where you can't do anything on a new turn because a event you cannot see or click away is on screen? Googling told me to turn the advisor down to the lowest amount, but he's always been on the lowest setting. Loading the turn before or a couple of turns before does not help either.

Not sure if it helps, but every time I had this bug it was due to the Sa'an'ishar! mod.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Third World Reggin posted:

slayers are the only thing you should recruit

Mine have nearly 100 melee attack, it is ridiculous.

I support mine with gyrocopters. Nothing else is fast enough to keep up with them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

My approach was to build a siege workshop and get grudge throwers in addition to slayers. That pretty much sufficed to defeat Red Eye in a series of ludicrous battles (including an ambush against one of their two armies) but I lost about 75% of my army by the time I defeated the whole enemy faction. Felt pretty appropriate for a slayer army, actually.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

toasterwarrior posted:

I built the barracks once I took the minor settlement to complete my minor province, then sat on my hands for 3-4 turns to recruit 6 warriors.

If you can work counterclockwise around the north and take out Red Eye to start, it gives you a nice, 2 province base to work from that's relatively safe. Then your options open up a bit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I intend to clean up the north, stop at Gunbad, and then play "tall" by helping out the Empire and re-murdering the undead through this handy little Region Trading mod. If Thorgrim falls, then I guess it's time to rebuild the Karaz Ankor myself. If not, well, maybe I can turn Kislev into my new kingdom after Chaos is done with it.

Also yeah, I was wondering which of Grudge Throwers or Quarrelers was the better option. Still, now that I've learned the initial steps, I can redo this game any time.

It's such a wonderful change of pace to have your main melee units be pulling hundreds of kills when back then your Warriors would get dozens at best while your Quarrelers would do all the real work.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

having like 90% of your army being unbreakable is pretty sweet

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The other disadvantage of Ungrim's start is that Kislev apparently doesn't trade. Ever.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So I still havent played a ME campaign. Any recommendations for some fun factions to play?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lord Koth posted:

The other disadvantage of Ungrim's start is that Kislev apparently doesn't trade. Ever.

The 'passive' AI personality that Kislev and the various Southern Realms have feels like a real relic at this point. It sort of made sense when TWW1 tried to concentrate the action in specific areas of the map but now? Nah. Let them make treaties properly, even if their AI is less expansionist.

Sedisp posted:

So I still havent played a ME campaign. Any recommendations for some fun factions to play?

Honestly most of them are pretty good. Of the newest ones, Alith Anar seems to have a better ME start than Vortex. Queek Headtaker's got a tough but fun start, same goes for Ungrim Ironfist. The basic Empire start is still a lot of fun too even though the faction needs some love (really hope they're next on the revamp list). I'm really enjoying a Bretonnia game currently, and Norsca/Wintertooth are both a lot of fun. Hell, I bet even Warriors of Chaos are pretty fun now - they were good by the end of TWW1's lifetime and we've got that situation back now, basically.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The 'passive' AI personality that Kislev and the various Southern Realms have feels like a real relic at this point. It sort of made sense when TWW1 tried to concentrate the action in specific areas of the map but now? Nah. Let them make treaties properly, even if their AI is less expansionist.

They only have the passive trait at hard difficulty and lower, which i guess was to get them not to kill to much to quick with their large realms. Very hard and higher makes them defensive. Someone told me this earlier in the thread and i forgot to respond. But yes, they should get rid of it since them not trading actually makes the game harder on lower levels.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

marxismftw posted:

Not sure if it helps, but every time I had this bug it was due to the Sa'an'ishar! mod.

Don't have that installed unfortunately :negative:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ralepozozaxe posted:

They only have the passive trait at hard difficulty and lower, which i guess was to get them not to kill to much to quick with their large realms. Very hard and higher makes them defensive. Someone told me this earlier in the thread and i forgot to respond. But yes, they should get rid of it since them not trading actually makes the game harder on lower levels.

Ah, that's interesting. I play the game exclusively on Hard so I had no idea that this changes above that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Is there a decent rat guide out there?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Make a save right now where it's broken and then load that save, the event should pop up.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Twigand Berries posted:

Make a save right now where it's broken and then load that save, the event should pop up.
So legendary campaigns are screwed if this happens then?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
From what I can tell, treasure hunts can give you ritual currency, up to 250, and are otherwise worse than just sailing around in every possible way.

So in ME, I don’t even know what the point is.

Boy I can’t tell you how fun taking the fight to those wood elves inside their home turf is. The buffs they can get from their lord and being in a map that counts entirely as forest make fighting them as fun as pulling teeth.

Pretty much a war of attrition “can I get them to break from army losses before my cavalry are completely wrecked and they can shred me with ranged”

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just about the only time I can imagine treasure hunting is if I am within movement range of a settlement, know I want to settle it, don't have the cash to do so, and have absolutely nothing else to do with that army that turn. This is rare.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Cynic Jester posted:

Is there a decent rat guide out there?
From my limited experience, you should always outnumber the enemy. Never use one army when you can use two, skavenslaves are hilariously cheap so who cares if they get mulched? Make sure to use some actual damage-dealers too and don't worry about friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ravenfood posted:

Just about the only time I can imagine treasure hunting is if I am within movement range of a settlement, know I want to settle it, don't have the cash to do so, and have absolutely nothing else to do with that army that turn. This is rare.

It'd be better if agents could do it on their own.