Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
They are rolling back the greed-only option.

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/1004777804284608512?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

More ultima news:

He has his own limit break bar and any time someone gets hit by a mechanic or dies, it fills his bar a little.

:allears:

From the way that the previous phase went I kind of expect that you have to fill the bar on purpose or something

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got any good videos of people being extremely good at the game?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It seems like the Ultima phase is just a never ending stream of overlapping primal mechanics

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

oh no blimp issue posted:

From the way that the previous phase went I kind of expect that you have to fill the bar on purpose or something

In a further twist, the only way to succeed is to let the bar almost but not completely fill.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there anything that's not super obvious about Eureka? Been messing around with it casually with a friend the past two weeks (mostly just doing our challenge logs) and we hit level 10 last night. Is there any actual thought in the elemental wheel or should I be just shoving all the gems into one slot to rotate into.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Really glad that they're reverting the 24 man greed thing. Have to give them credit for listening to feedback and quickly changing something that clearly didn't work.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Oh poo poo. Chocobo racing is cross-server now. I knew it was using the duty-finder, but I didn't realize it was cross server too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Good. This change really didn't work at all.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there anything that's not super obvious about Eureka? Been messing around with it casually with a friend the past two weeks (mostly just doing our challenge logs) and we hit level 10 last night. Is there any actual thought in the elemental wheel or should I be just shoving all the gems into one slot to rotate into.

Yep, just put everything in one slot and rotate it based on whether you're tanking or DPSing.

Also, make sure you're doing the quests. You can start using the aetherytes at 9.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Former future M tribe nunh is living up to the tia reputation this make it rain:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Don't you hate it when you come home from work to find that your wife has redecorated?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this rank up quest is real good

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone got any good videos of people being extremely good at the game?

This Ultimate Bahamut clear (BGM only, no voice chat yelling over it) is my go-to example if you're looking for something cinematic. That channel also has similarly impressive O4S and O8S clears. If you're looking for something less cinematic and more speedrun-like, check out FFXIVMomo's channel.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
How is that song called that plays when the fire gets lit during the last part of the namazu quest? I've heard it before, it's like a happy victory tune.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Kuvo posted:

Is this loss?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kuvo posted:

It really is.

Also it enables you to do a daily quest that involves a base-jumping catfishman.

The only downside is I forgot you can't buy mounts until rank 8 now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The base jumper test of courage. A time honored tradition.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

It really is.

Also it enables you to do a daily quest that involves a base-jumping catfishman.

The only downside is I forgot you can't buy mounts until rank 8 now.

You also unlock Paissa fights!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

But how am I supposed to gear up my healer while tanking the floor as a dragoon now?!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

But how am I supposed to gear up my healer while tanking the floor as a dragoon now?!

Get gear elsewhere, obviously.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

orcane posted:

Get gear elsewhere, obviously.

Greed and cross your fingers, like always.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
~~fashion~~

also i'm dumb and just now leveling paladin can someone explain block vs parry and when i should be using bulwark vs anticipation

i'm guessing bulwark/anticipation/sentinel are just varying degrees of damage reduction, when it gets down to it, but i also just unlocked sheltron so i should probably know how that works and when to use it too

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Thumbtacks posted:

~~fashion~~

also i'm dumb and just now leveling paladin can someone explain block vs parry and when i should be using bulwark vs anticipation

i'm guessing bulwark/anticipation/sentinel are just varying degrees of damage reduction, when it gets down to it, but i also just unlocked sheltron so i should probably know how that works and when to use it too

Block and Parry are both just chances to happen, they both reduce 20% at max (which it'll always be at).

You can block magic attacks, but you can't parry them. Use Sheltron on any one big telegraphed hit.

Don't use Anticipation if it's not going to see use, e.g. you're tanking some type of caster. (This is frequent enough that Anticipation isn't really that good of a choice compared to a more surefire bet like Bulwark or Convalescence).

Otherwise, Block is just an extra source of passive mitigation that Paladin has to itself.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'd add two things: block chance is rolled before parry chance, and you obvi can't parry if you successfully block. So you shouldn't use bulwark and anticipation at the same time. Since paladin has natural synergy with block, (shield swipe procs + blocking generates bar in shield oath) bulwark is also a lot stronger overall as mitigation than anticipation.

Both bulwark and anticipation are a much better value when you're being hit by lots of attacks compared to just a few, which means they're generally more useful on trash pulls, and especially the kind of trash pull that's got a shitton of little mobs. Bulwark in particular still has aplications on boss fights (cover + bulwark the MT when you're not pulling to farm a couple swipe procs). In general, anticipation is kinda not good for paladin because I'd Rather Be Blocking

Sheltron is a guaranteed block. Use it vs. tankbusters or in any situation where you know you're about to take damage to shave off about 20% of a single hit and also proc shield swipe.

A non-trivial part of maximizing paladin dps is using sheltron intelligently to shield swipe every time it comes off cooldown. If you spend a lot of time in sword oath vs. bosses, you should generate enough bar to sheltron every tankbuster and also shield swipe every 15 sec.

Sade fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 8, 2018

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
As a fresh(ish) 70, I just hit an Ilvl wall at the 4.3 Trial.

It wants 335, I'm at 307. What's the best way to get my gear up? The Creation gear only seems to go as high as 330, and Deltascape isn't going to do it either. The last dungeon I unlocked was Skalla, if that helps at all.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Rabanastre drops uncapped 330 gear. A mix of that + mendacity + creation gear will get you to 325, at which time you can start farming sigmascape normal for uncapped 350s.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A new XIV event just launched in FF Record Keeper, giving some new toys to Alphinaud, Papalymo, and Minfilia.

The main one I want to share is one of Papalymo's because it's completely unfair for them to reference this in a big super attack and now I'm sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEsZ0LXWs0

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm watching a guy on twitch do uwu prog right now and i've never seen a bar like this and it looks pretty clever

that's just like "/ac "Cover" <#>" right?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The Namazu quests are so much better than the Moogle ones it's not even funny, and I didn't hate the Moogles as much as a lot of people do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Namazu quests are so much better than the Moogle ones it's not even funny, and I didn't hate the Moogles as much as a lot of people do.
I liked the moogle quests, but the namazu ones are easily the best tribal dailies so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm watching a guy on twitch do uwu prog right now and i've never seen a bar like this and it looks pretty clever

poo poo, I'm stealing this for aetherial

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Truga posted:

poo poo, I'm stealing this for aetherial

Omg yes!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure block is not a flat 20%. It blocks an amount that is calculated using your shield strength. You can test this easily by sheltroning something and watching the numbers that pop up. I think it’s 25% or something at max ilevel right now.

Edit: I don’t slot anticipation as Paladin. You either block OR parry a single attack. I feel like awareness or convalescence is more value.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 8, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

I've seen this once or twice. It's a really clever idea.

I'm also starting to wish we got more than 10 hotbars.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lol is parry still in the game? I thought they excised that poo poo

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I've also seen people do that vertical hotbar thing with Shirk, though I never once thought about using it for Aetherial Manipulation. Gonna have to do that for sure.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Lol is parry still in the game? I thought they excised that poo poo

Parry as a combat system feature still exists, but it's no longer a stat you can boost with materia.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can you still get role in need if you join a duty roulette with more than one party member?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, just not if you're a full party.