Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'm glad this thread has devolved into a chaos appropriately reflective of the show. I was mildly entertained by the first few episodes of the season and have enjoyed the Maeve storyline (especially the Shogun world), but I think I'm finally ready to accept that this season on the whole is a sloppy goddamned mess.

The jumbled chronology is just so gratuitous. The concept and central themes of the show have enough potential such that it shouldn't have to rely upon mystification via gnarled timelines to keep an audience.

And Evan Rachel Wood is just so hilariously bland. Ed Harris is starting to reach caricature-levels as well, not to mention have his storyline be diminutized by whatever the gently caress else has been going on in the central Dolores/Teddy/Bernard/Hale arc.

This has all probably been said already before but *~^WhAtEvEr^~*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Between Teresa and Hale, Ford clearly killed off the competent suit first. He leave Hale along to gently caress up her own QA term herself.

Can you imagine what would happen if the secret service let orange turd decide how to run the security detail?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I've seen Gaddafi's, so yes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This episode solidified this season as being completely mediocre to me. It's going to be a slog to get through watching the rest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What I want to know is, what the hell are they going to do for a third season? D-Lor-S makes her way to America or whatever and starts killing humans to take over the world? This seems like something you would put in a movie plot where you don't have to keep iterating on it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

They'll find an excuse to keep them in the park and visit Pirate World or Roman World.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only thing that really bugged me while watching this episode was how much they relied on exposition to explain all the mysteries they've been building for the past 6 episodes. It seems sloppy. Like in the first season when they revealed that MiB was William, they did it with the shot of him putting on the black hat. The next shot was MiB wearing the black hat. The viewer goes "Oooooohhhhh they're the same guy!" without Bernard or somebody going "I get it now. William and the MiB are the same man. This entire time they've been on two separate timelines."

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The show's name is "Westworld", the story has to stay relevant to the west world. Therefore s3 will go back to the Shakespeareanworld.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I suspect another park won’t be named this season. They plan on three more seasons, right? We’ll probably get an adventure into new park once a season.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m so goddamn bored of watching flawless robots doing everything according to plan 100% of the time. Gunfights in this series don’t hold any stakes.

Also sure I’m in a facility filled with murderous robots that are identical to humans but I’m gonna sexy it up with this chick I just shot song I know to be a murdering robot.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 7, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only thing that really bugged me while watching this episode was how much they relied on exposition to explain all the mysteries they've been building for the past 6 episodes. It seems sloppy. Like in the first season when they revealed that MiB was William, they did it with the shot of him putting on the black hat. The next shot was MiB wearing the black hat. The viewer goes "Oooooohhhhh they're the same guy!" without Bernard or somebody going "I get it now. William and the MiB are the same man. This entire time they've been on two separate timelines."

This is a legitimate gripe. However there are a bunch of people who can't figure out how trains work so they may have felt the need to pander to a slightly slower demographic.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m so goddamn bored of watching flawless robots doing everything according to plan 100% of the time. Gunfights in this series don’t hold any stakes.

Yeah it’s very strange. In season 1 the fights were just as un engaging but it came off as fun self-indulgent violence since we knew it was a game and there were no stakes. The entire point of this season is that the stakes are real but so far the robots have been completely without obstacle.

Honestly I’m not terribly let down by this season because I knew they had almost no chance of even meeting the quality of season 1, which I still maintain is brilliant. It was a complete story and this is what happens “when you let a story play out all the way.” But there’s definitely been some bizarre writing choices to a point where it doesn’t feel like the same team, or there was more interfering because it got popular.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
If the robots don't care about their lives and willingly blow themselves up along with the backup hardware, why should you care?

Same goes for the red shirts, they care even about their lives less than the robots.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
“The valley beyond” is just ad copy for Westworld 2: The Lost Gold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you mean Arnold's Gold.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, MiB at least is still very good at murdering robots (except for woke telepathic ones). He should have trained the QA guys personally

Also I agree that most action scenes this season are kinda dumb, but I dont think it was much better last season (even Maeve escape). And frankly I didint mind it at all while I was watching, perhaps because I wanst expecting the fights to be smart or realistic

Im on a minority here that I dont think this season is inferior to the first. Neither are brilliant, imo, but both are fun and engaging TV. I still like most of the plots, Im still very curious about the mysteries and stuff. Dolores indeed become insuferable, but almost every other character have improved over s1

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ehhhh...Bernard had a TON of exposition with his reveal and the reveal that Ford was working all along to free the hosts had a ton of exposition as well. The MiB reveal was the only one done in the Prestige way without much talking (even that had more talking) and loud building music. Everything else was a Memento/Interstellar "talk our way to explain exactly what is going on because most of the audience actually won't realize it otherwise" (and they still don't, even with that).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im on a minority here that I dont think this season is inferior to the first. Neither are brilliant, imo, but both are fun and engaging TV. I still like most of the plots, Im still very curious about the mysteries and stuff. Dolores indeed become insuferable, but almost every other character have improved over s1

I'm with you on this. First season had it's dumb parts (like Maeve's escape) which were as silly as the action sequences here, but they were largely forgiven because the twists and the good scenes (like Maeve seeing what was going on with the hosts/humans) were so surprisingly good.

This season has had an equal number of good scenes to this point, I'd say (just not as much Hopkins, which is an auto-negative), and just as many silly parts, which is still way better than practically all current prestige TV, but:

People are looking at it with memory of just the good of S1 and not the week to week stuff and comparing it to that, and are looking at it expecting giant twists and expecting every episode to have a super awesome sequence (1st season didn't), and when it doesn't, overstate the negatives.

And in some cases, calling their own twists and then complaining about the show being stupid for their fake predictions like that "baby" cradle prediction that was flying around for a while.

Also, almost all TV action that isn't Spartacus is bad, but a lot could be remedied if the woke bots emulated "god mode" from Person of Interest or something to cover for it.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 7, 2018

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Can't wait for all of you who are done with this show after the "sloppy mess" of S2 to be right back here, watching and posting in S3. If you think this season is sloppy or something, I'd encourage you to rewatch S1 without your rose-colored glasses on. They're about the same level of quality, only the narrative delivery methods have changed a bit to be more straightforward.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Chekhov's muffin

Dolares' goal is to print body copies of real persons and stick her muffins in them. That's how they plan to get off the island and why all the floater hosts are empty. The present time Hale we are watching is actually Doleres in a Hale body and she is setting the mercenaries up for an ambush or something so all the secret hosts can escape with them in the chaos that will follow from the ambush. Also, Ford will peek at Bernard's dong while he is taking a leak and that's his entire plan for the season.

Also I think we have a winner right here, folks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darko posted:

I'm with you on this. First season had it's dumb parts (like Maeve's escape) which were as silly as the action sequences here, but they were largely forgiven because the twists and the good scenes (like Maeve seeing what was going on with the hosts/humans) were so surprisingly good.
Maeve's escape can at least be justified by a bunch of mall cops having to scramble and fight an inhuman foe, where most of them probably thought this was like the safest job in the world - Stubbs aside. They also used being hosts to their advantage, blending in among inactive hosts to gain the element of surprise. The people we're seeing now are going into battle aware of the foe they're going to face, and some of them aren't mall cops. I think it's fair to expect better from them.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Skimming the thread it seems I might be alone in thinking Dolores being interrupted with the saw felt like the schlockiest part from the last episode. It's the kind of moment Dave Hill from GoT would write in, though if it were GoT level they'd deffo add a zoom shot of the saw a couple of mm from the skin. The cradle scene didn't feel as bad, mainly because the whole time I was waiting for her to throw him into the chair/ball remover which would have been a very acceptable 80s/90s grade sci-fi cliche.

AwkwardKnob posted:

Can't wait for all of you who are done with this show after the "sloppy mess" of S2 to be right back here, watching and posting in S3.

Comparing the two seasons I'd say the new plotlines have exposed some weaknesses in the writing, and we're following weaker characters. But I wouldn't be surprised if season 3 is just as good, or even better than season 1.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The PMCs wouldn't be so egregious were it not for the fact that the show makes a point showing how they're taking charge and that moustache man is here and he's the ultimate badass only for him to get murked by the first host he comes across (fair enough it was Teddy, but it didn't have to be). It's possible he's survived, but if not then as far as I tell he was completely ineffectual.

I know PMCs turning up and talking smack to the incumbent security is a trope, but it really shows through on this show. They're faceless goons who it's impossible to believe are actually trained or have any hope of prevailing. They're basically those Phantom Menace poo poo-tier droids in every way.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 7, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

roger roger!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I like how the super special haptic vest that lets the mook see in the dark is light up. That didn't really click until just now.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

TK-42-1 posted:

I like how the super special haptic vest that lets the mook see in the dark is light up. That didn't really click until just now.

How else would they ever convey that the haptic vests are working to an audience through non-haptic media?

Yeah, it's kind of silly they light up, but it's a goddamn TV show. some of you people, i swear.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tino posted:

What? Show me a loving episode where she is loving competent.

Counterpoint - show me a single moment where she isn't.

They showed us that she's competent by having her be The Boss which implies competence, and clunky dialog reinforces "you're uncomfortable not being in control because you, the controller, are used to being in control".

Have they shown her to fail in the face of anything other than Ford's completely unstoppable robot uprising?

EDIT: I also thought "these are your eyes in the dark" was a metaphor for spotting Hosts more easily. I didn't think it literally meant This Is Nightvision, lol

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How else would they ever convey that the haptic vests are working to an audience through non-haptic media?

Yeah, it's kind of silly they light up, but it's a goddamn TV show. some of you people, i swear.

No poo poo Johnny High Horse. It can still be a bit silly and noted as such without being some grand indictment of the show at large. What's the point of putting it in if you can do it differently without it having to be silly? Why not glasses that do a UI arrow or something on the gun?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Counterpoint - show me a single moment where she isn't.

They showed us that she's competent by having her be The Boss which implies competence, and clunky dialog reinforces "you're uncomfortable not being in control because you, the controller, are used to being in control".

Have they shown her to fail in the face of anything other than Ford's completely unstoppable robot uprising?

EDIT: I also thought "these are your eyes in the dark" was a metaphor for spotting Hosts more easily. I didn't think it literally meant This Is Nightvision, lol

I posted it before, she is probably Logan's daughter who has never worked 1 day in her life.

Consistently getting in the way of her QA and Mer team doing their job.

Consistently lost Abernathy, can't figure out the simple way of chopping off his head.

Has nobody she could trust and had to recruit Sizemore.

Putting whatever she wanted to smuggle in Abernathy was a really stupid decision in the first place, but that was more bad writting.

I don't want to get too into it because the Charlotte Hale character has double whammy of being portraited by an actor who can't act delivering lines of a badly written character.

This character doesn't act like a realistic human. If your coworkers are getting killed, you priority is hide in a box until rescue team come. It doesn't matter matter if the corporate is not coming to save you. Just grab a boat and a radio and paddle to Taiwan.

tino fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 7, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tino posted:

This character doesn't act like a realistic human.

hmmm what could it mean

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tino posted:

This character doesn't act like a realistic human. If your coworkers are getting killed, you priority is hide in a box until rescue team come. It doesn't matter matter if the corporate is not coming to save you. Just grab a boat and a radio and paddle to Taiwan.

Well, neither does MiB then. Or his daughter.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

hmmm what could it mean

It loving means Tessa Thompson doesn't want to or care about playing an evil character. She is got a super star career planned out. Showrunners should just kill her off so she can do her stupid MIB movie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tino posted:

It loving means Tessa Thompson doesn't want to or care about playing an evil character. She is got a super star career planned out. Showrunners should just kill her off so she can do her stupid MIB movie.

Hyper aspirational woman viewing every opportunity as a stepping stone toward bigger and better things, with nothing but scorn for the individual rungs of the ladder as she climbs them

Am I describing Hale, or Thompson?!

(This is why she is good, both the character and the actor)

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

hmmm what could it mean

I gave up on 4D chess with characterization. It's too much to hope for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

Can't wait for all of you who are done with this show after the "sloppy mess" of S2 to be right back here, watching and posting in S3. If you think this season is sloppy or something, I'd encourage you to rewatch S1 without your rose-colored glasses on. They're about the same level of quality, only the narrative delivery methods have changed a bit to be more straightforward.

How dare you not like my TV show, etc.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I won't point fingers at any particular individual here but Tessa Thompson is good in a lot of stuff and my spidey sense tingles when a place as :goonsay: as TVIV has mostly vague misgivings about a brown woman playing an assertive main role in a sci-fi show.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AwkwardKnob posted:

There's also a huge difference between watching Season 1 week by week and watching it all in one go. I suspect Season 2 will be the same way.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I won't point fingers at any particular individual here but Tessa Thompson is good in a lot of stuff and my spidey sense tingles when a place as :goonsay: as TVIV has mostly vague misgivings about a brown woman playing an assertive main role in a sci-fi show.

It's odd that no one cares in the Expanse thread.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The one criticism I have of her is that in S1 she had all the writing and setting of someone in charge, but not the charisma. It’s not a fault of her age or color or whatever, she just didn’t play it with as much, i dunno, gravitas? as she does in s2. its difficult to put into words that won’t be misconstrued as a critique on her as a person. it was just the tone of the character.

i dunno. i believed her as a person in charge but just not someone who would naturally get there if that makes sense.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

no she's totally one note and wooden. cf. thandie newton who is good and also brown and also playing an assertive main role.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I am easily pleased and have enjoyed the entire season up to and including the last episode.

Y'all some picky varmints itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
NOT SO EASILY PLEASED BY THIS THREAD, I SEE. :mad: