Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stonk:

Nope nope nope nope nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm gonna guess Brazil (and then be not surprised when it's Detroit)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
:dogbutton: I would break all kinds of laws getting the gently caress off that bridge if I saw that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those joints are designed to relieve slight movements and shift, but that's quite an extreme amount of shift.
I'm just a little confused because I usually only see gaps like that directly over supports, not where two spans meet.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Javid posted:

Yup, it's in Rio de Janeiro as per google.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are you sure it's not an expansion joint between two cantilevered spans?

Yep: http://bandnewsfmrio.band.uol.com.br/editorias-detalhes/rachadura-na-ponte-rio-niteroi-na-verdade-e-j

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 6, 2018

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Javid posted:

The rouge river bridge has had some pretty bad potholes.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Why is everyone making such a stink over this black piece of wire sticking out of a bri oh holy poo poo

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GotLag posted:

Are you sure it's not an expansion joint between two cantilevered spans?

Yep: http://bandnewsfmrio.band.uol.com.br/editorias-detalhes/rachadura-na-ponte-rio-niteroi-na-verdade-e-j

Is there a reason why they made the expansion joint look like a crack repaired by an idiot? Like I assume other bridges in the world use expansion joints that are less holy gently caress looking

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The joint has rotational symmetry, and overlaps because there's a linkage inside.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like an expansion joint should also not create a gap in the road surface, like, there should be overlapping surfaces to allow for movement without creating a drop down to the ocean or whatever.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like an expansion joint should also not create a gap in the road surface, like, there should be overlapping surfaces to allow for movement without creating a drop down to the ocean or whatever.

I dont think it should. We have tons of expansion joints round the PNW and they are always covered as far as i've seen.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apparently one of our clients just got fined $3000 because he demolished a house without disconnecting the fiber connection and the whole block's internet leaked away. :tubular:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is fiber like 10-base-T where you have to have a terminal on all of the outputs?

I guess that makes sense...?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Jaguars! posted:

Apparently one of our clients just got fined $3000 because he demolished a house without disconnecting the fiber connection and the whole block's internet leaked away. :tubular:

That sounds more like crappy destruction tales to me.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 7, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaguars! posted:

You’ve got to pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers in this racket.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Water gets into the fiber if you just snip the line (or snag it out with a digger). I guess the bit about the whole block going might be a bit suspect, just going on information received.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Did he wait for the gas company to decommission the service? Because the company I work for has had people not do that like a dozen times this spring. We’ve been lucky.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

If we are on crappy bridge chat, I now live in Delaware which narrowly avoided a looming disaster of the I-495 bridge. Luckily, a civil engineer was working at a site along the river which the bridge spans and noticed that support columns were leaning. He reported it to DelDOT who had to completley shut down the bridge.

However they determined the cause of this was from the DuPont corp leasing out the property at the base of the supports to a few companies who ended up stockpiling tons of soil which compressed the soil enough to throw the bridge out of alignment. The bridge recently reopened after 49 million in emergency repairs.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kanish posted:

If we are on crappy bridge chat, I now live in Delaware which narrowly avoided a looming disaster of the I-495 bridge. Luckily, a civil engineer was working at a site along the river which the bridge spans and noticed that support columns were leaning. He reported it to DelDOT who had to completley shut down the bridge.

However they determined the cause of this was from the DuPont corp leasing out the property at the base of the supports to a few companies who ended up stockpiling tons of soil which compressed the soil enough to throw the bridge out of alignment. The bridge recently reopened after 49 million in emergency repairs.

I want to believe this civil engineer did a double take, stared, and then started to tilt his head like in a treasure hunt movie.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I want to believe this civil engineer did a double take, stared, and then started to tilt his head like in a treasure hunt movie.

I want to know whether s/he got poo poo on for being a grass.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You could just use one of these little angle brackets to fix the bridge. They do yeoman's work, apparently.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought yall were talking about this one

http://www.thereporteronline.com/article/RO/20080319/TMP01/303199958

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

As a bridge inspector, Kim is constantly looking at structures, even casually, on his time off.
I have no comment, I just really like this sentence.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

~my bridgewaifu~

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's the purest expression of "have a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BattleMaster posted:

It's the purest expression of "have a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life"

That or he has such a powerful sense of duty he can't help himself. Either way: :yayclod:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kanish posted:

Just hook a ratcheting tie-down strap to the other column.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BattleMaster posted:

That, or you just can't help it. Just gotta let that stare linger a bit longer then normal on that bridge support, make sure it won't kill you.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

BattleMaster posted:

Structural engineer checking in.

We all do stare at structures, but often just to see how hosed/badly designed something is.

When I lived in SF I would see exposed brick walls in chiq bars and go "yeah, when the next earthquake happens everyone will get crushed to death" or see exposed rebar on the tension steel of a concrete beam and choose to change my route to work, or watch the hoops an engineer went through to meet code on an architectural fancy (Frank Gehry is satan, fyi).

I know a few fire protection guys who are the same way, always noting when fire barrier doors are propped open or tables block exits.

What I'm say is its obsession more than love, per se. Maybe unhealthy love?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I can't not look at fire code stuff everywhere I am, as well as mentally note every pull station heat or smoke detector, and extinguisher I see.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno, when you see stuff thats in your area of expertise it just seems like a giant exclamation point or when you start hearing someone talking about your field and they completely have no idea what they are talking about

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I can't not look at fire code stuff everywhere I am, as well as mentally note every pull station heat or smoke detector, and extinguisher I see.

Our regular fire drills at work were led by one of the NYC fire captains. This guy saw it all, from 9-11 to apartment building fires. Every time he came and spoke to us he had some horrific story to tell and had a lesson to teach. That stuff gets burned in (no pun intended) and now I'm always looking at fire exits and counting the rows from my seat to the emergency exits on the plane, stuff like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blindeye posted:

When I lived in SF I would see exposed brick walls in chiq bars and go "yeah, when the next earthquake happens everyone will get crushed to death"

I thought most brick walls these days were really brick facades over something with better structural characteristics. I guess in an earthquake there's still the potential for flying bricks, which isn't exactly a good time, but the wall itself shouldn't be any more vulnerable to earthquakes than a normal, non-brick wall would be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a technical writer I constantly proofread everything I see, it's reflexive and not really something I can choose to "turn off."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I thought most brick walls these days were really brick facades over something with better structural characteristics. I guess in an earthquake there's still the potential for flying bricks, which isn't exactly a good time, but the wall itself shouldn't be any more vulnerable to earthquakes than a normal, non-brick wall would be.

Pretty much every true masonry structure in California has been reinforced by now, but if I understand it right that's really only aimed at preventing immediate building collapse. It's a given that in a strong earthquake a lot of damage will still occur, up to and including rendering buildings too dangerous to occupy, and certainly that includes brick facades collapsing.

That said, I'd probably rather be near one of those brick facades, than on a sidewalk just outside a skyscraper, given how many windows are likely to break and rain tons of glass shards down on the streets. Earthquakes are fuckin' dangerous, yo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kanish posted:

Well I hope they got good money for leasing out that land.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fire exit is blocked, opens inwards, no door handle.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

...i will lay me down...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just saw this on reddit, speaking of fire safety. This is why fire doors must be kept closed, or even exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Well I hope they got good money for leasing out that land.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the state that footed the repair bill.