Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmmkay, thanks... what about the scythe, it does seemingly massive damage and inflicts stun (I think?), but I'm already finding parrying frustrating and it eats stamina like a dog in a biscuit factory.

Scythe is alright, but gets made almost redundant by the two-handed spiked bludgeon you find later on. That one has about the same damage as the scythe, but also deals significant stun on hit. It's basically become my go-to weapon for now, since you can usually knock down any enemy within like two or three hits while still applying significant damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Archonex posted:

On another note though, should we have a proper OP and thread for this game? I can't see it getting much attention with the current setup. I could look at drafting something if people think it should have one. My leg's broken, so I don't have much of anything to do otherwise.

Yes, this game deserves a proper OP. I'll :effort:-post tonight unless someone with a day off beats me.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I was thinking of getting this game later this evening, so I´d like to know if anyone could give me the headsup for the PS4 version. Is it stable and how are the loading times?
I went with PC just because I've heard the load times on the PS4/Pro are pretty bad -- the XBOX1X seems to fair better with load times, tho.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I also got it on PC but I've heard that the PS4 version has a tendency to seize as you walk around the city and it tries to load the districts ahead of you. Even on PC there's a very slight hiccup sometimes when you cross a border, as it were.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, where do I get the second set of cures? I supposedly picked up a second set of schematics in the abandoned part of the hospital but nothing's in my inventory.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So I spent a ton of item faffing around and got to know the Docks and Whitechapel, and I gotta say, its really loving hard NOT munching on some civilian or two (trying to play a good guy).

So far I've found:

A suicidal man.

A gang leader.

The Gang leader's wife and her side piece, both of who've murdered people.

An alcoholic anarchist who accidentally murdered a couple people.

A GODDAMN SERIAL KILLER AND HIS LAIR!

Like I get that this game is trying to teach us to balance our humanity and such and it is very thematic about killing to be stronger and such and how killing worsens the districts, but is the game going to seriously tut-tut me for killing a AN UNREPENTANT SERIAL KILLER WHO FULLY PLANS ON KILLING AGAIN SINCE HE THINKS HUMANS ARE ANNOYING?!? and give me a bad ending? I mean seriously apart from like one person who might been bummed he dies his mom, but even then she knows he's a GODDAMN SERIAL KILLER, and is terrified of him, but won't turn him into the cops, I see no reason why it would be bad for me to dispatch this threat to the community.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This game somehow gave me a really vivid series of nightmares last night which is funny considering the only other game that has done that is S.T.A.L.K.E.R and this game has nowhere near the horror levels.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I spent a ton of item faffing around and got to know the Docks and Whitechapel, and I gotta say, its really loving hard NOT munching on some civilian or two (trying to play a good guy).

So far I've found:

A suicidal man.

A gang leader.

Like I get that this game is trying to teach us to balance our humanity and such and it is very thematic about killing to be stronger and such and how killing worsens the districts, but is the game going to seriously tut-tut me for killing a AN UNREPENTANT SERIAL KILLER WHO FULLY PLANS ON KILLING AGAIN SINCE HE THINKS HUMANS ARE ANNOYING?!? and give me a bad ending? I mean seriously apart from like one person who might been bummed he dies his mom, but even then she knows he's a GODDAMN SERIAL KILLER, and is terrified of him, but won't turn him into the cops, I see no reason why it would be bad for me to dispatch this threat to the community.

I like this in terms of gameplay. So it doesn't always feel that pacifist run is the ultimate golden ending.

On a philosophical level, uh... I guess, that it is easy to slip the slippery slope from self defense to vigilante justice to sociopath, who thinks he can judge others?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The one thing that kinda annoys me about the morality system is the Mesmerize level, which is kinda dumb. How is there literally no way to train up your mind control besides killing easy to mind control people? It makes it so that if you do want to kill certain people, you HAVE to kill at least some subset of weaker minded ones. Game would be just fine without this system, maybe give some temporary protection to the people that need it for the plot like Swansea, but otherwise it's irritating.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

OutofSight posted:

I like this in terms of gameplay. So it doesn't always feel that pacifist run is the ultimate golden ending.

On a philosophical level, uh... I guess, that it is easy to slip the slippery slope from self defense to vigilante justice to sociopath, who thinks he can judge others?

Well, I'm a Vampire which makes me objectively better than MORTALS so it seems fair to occasionally judge and snack on one.

I'm not trying to go full good guy or monster and accept that occasionally I will make the world a shittier place. Almost like real life but with less blood.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

OutofSight posted:

Oh yeah for sure, I really enjoy that this game doesn't have a karma meter, its more like playing a game of D&D when the players keep asking if they can do something and the DM says "sure, but there are consequences". I was just worried that if I snacked anyone that would lock me out of the "good" ending. I think this whole mechanic is cool, we get more XP for learning more about people, but at the same time we might learn stuff that may make us question if the whole "kill no one outside combat" mentality is truly good.

Also yeah I can definitely see the slippery slope concern, but it also makes me think of Batman and the Joker or Zsasz. Sure its good to not kill and it removes that concern about becoming a sociopathic vigilante, but at what point does it become equally irresponsible to not take that dangerous person out of the equation if you have the means to do so when the normal societal mechanism can't contain them or correct their faults and they fully intend to keep harming people. All that because because you have a moralistic hangup about causing harm/death? Its that kind of Kantian vs Utilitarian thinking that I find interesting.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
At least the numbers are clear for the pacifist run. No snacking on mortals ever.

But when and where draws the game the line from necessary sacrifices for power to predatory monster. How many gang leaders, cult leaders or serial killers can you add to your diet before you get the bad ending?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
You are a man who has lost his family and his very humanity. You are better than a mortal. They are ants. They are meat.

Anyhow, that's what I'm doing. I lie, pretend to be friendly, help, then eat your face so I can rummage through your panty drawer.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I like the "don't try this at home" warning whenever you start. You mean I can't cobble together a migraine remedy from what I stripped out of some perfume and a pack of cigarettes? Well my world view has just been rocked.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do we have any idea what the Day 1 patch actually does?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ugh. Protip, when doing the Samuel quest, don't aggro the boss and kill it before entering its room, it fucks the triggers and you end up stuck with a mission to kill the boss afterwards.

simmering
Nov 12, 2017
Bloodlines has the advantage of being one of the few (modern)urban fantasy games so even if it's character designs and locations weren't for the most part distinctive and well written it would still stand out and seem less derivative by default. Also it let you play a female character and for the most part self define your characters past and personality. vampyr is a lot less appealing to me bc you have to play a pre defined super morose seeming character. I miss bloodlines :(
But still probably gonna pick this up when it goes on sale.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

This game is pretty fun but yeah the overwhelmingly ~~spooky and macabre~~ tone just makes me wish for a Bloodlines sequel :(

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

OutofSight posted:

At least the numbers are clear for the pacifist run. No snacking on mortals ever.

But when and where draws the game the line from necessary sacrifices for power to predatory monster. How many gang leaders, cult leaders or serial killers can you add to your diet before you get the bad ending?

This is what I want to know, but I've heard there are 4 endings, and the thing i've heard people talk about is that having at least one hostile district by the end of the game (sometimes it's rarely reversable, at least) locks you into only the 'bad' endings. It's possible there's a worse ending for exterminating /everybody/ though.

My guesses for endings is total extermination - murderer that caused the town to fall apart - careful and picky about eating people - never eat anybody ever. I could be wrong, though, but it seems like it'd fit.

And yeah, there's a couple terrible people that are REALLY straining my determination to get a pacifism run, especially because fighting bosses 10 levels higher than me is uh, quite challenging. I've managed to get ridiculously good at dodging, though, and respecced to be much more focused with the abilities I know i get a lot of use out of - shadow mist is a godsend, doing massive damage and knockdown, and even often knocking bosses down, coagulation with the life drain gives you precious time to heal and also gives you mana to heal with, Autophagy upgrades are essential, I took the top path but am curious if anyone took the bottom and how it panned out for them.
Shadow vortex is the ultimate i went through since most of the things i have feared the most have been immune to blood damage, and things immune to shadow still get stunned for a long time by shadow vortex. I took blood spear just to have a ranged attack for things weak to blood when the shadow ones were resisted.

With all those, extreme dodge spam, the legendary stake given to you in the suffragette quest, lots of health/stamina upgrades, and a couple bite blood/lifesteal (but not damage) upgrades, I can almost indefinitely survive against any enemy that doesn't actually oneshot me - as long as i can survive a single hit, even if barely, I can stall and heal up despite being XP starved, and do damage during periods of CC.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I just finished my download on Xbone and... i can't start a game? I click start on the title screen and it takes me to the save select screen where each of the three file locations are stuck on loading. Google keeps giving me PC fixes. Anyone experience this?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Make a new op if you want I honest to god thought no one was going to get this lol

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

friendly 2 da void posted:

This game is pretty fun but yeah the overwhelmingly ~~spooky and macabre~~ tone just makes me wish for a Bloodlines sequel :(

:yeah:

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

I am the exact reverse. I love this game way more than bloodlines despite playing the former twice. Nothing in Bloodlines had any weight. You could feed without killing anyone and the pedestrians walk away happily after a minute. It felt to me you became a superhero with powers more than becoming an undead creature of the night. I love the moral dilemmas in this game, bloodlines had zero moral dilemmas. Bloodlines was also more lighthearted. The only superior thing bloodlines did is making you choose your sex. Although I do not mind fixed protagonist as long as they are interesting and the good Dr. has such a soothing voice so its ok.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So far I've found:

A suicidal man.

A gang leader.

Supposedly there's a number of endings. Total pacifist gives you the "best" one. Though given the details of it it might not be the best depending on what you think of certain key characters across the game.

Apparently you can kill in limited numbers and get at least a slightly decent ending. Though it doesn't refute the grim tone as much. Speaking from what i've seen (ending spoilers) Lady Ashbury is a conniving bitch who lies to herself about her compassion to keep living. So the idea of hooking up with her at the end and going off to search for a cure leaves me meh.

I do like how 45 minutes in you can literally quote Stoker and toss about the idea of making an army of darkness to overtake London. At which point Swansea freaks the gently caress out and appears to quietly decide to have you offed as soon as possible.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I hate the ideas of having a "perfect ending" and a "bad ending" in rpgs. I think the idea of a perfect ending/bad ending destroys role play, as players will strive to reach the Utopian ending at the expense of choosing choices that fit their character. The ideal thing in my opinion is to have a bunch of different endings, neither of them perfect nor "everything terrible". Just different and ups and downs depending on your choices but that requires a level of writing not present in video game medium.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I hate the ideas of having a "perfect ending" and a "bad ending" in rpgs. I think the idea of a perfect ending/bad ending destroys role play, as players will strive to reach the Utopian ending at the expense of choosing choices that fit their character. The ideal thing in my opinion is to have a bunch of different endings, neither of them perfect nor "everything terrible". Just different and ups and downs depending on your choices but that requires a level of writing not present in video game medium.

:same:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, I don't want any spoilers, but I want to be a nice guy as much as possible- kill jerkass vampires, heal the plague, be a genuinely cool dude. Will deviating from pacifist even a bit lock me out of any cool lightside content, or am I good snacking on the occasional rear end in a top hat if, for example, he has a hatchet I really want?

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug
If the bar for the good ending is only needing to keep the districts “healthy” rather than having everyone alive, then you have a little wiggle-room.

In my play-through, I’ve made some bad choices and got one of the “pillars of the community” killed on accident, so I have to constantly monitor that district now and make sure everyone left is healthy so the health rating doesn’t dip below “serious.” I’m curious if I’m locked out of the “best” ending now, but we’ll see. It’s been a fun ride so far.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Wolpertinger posted:

You made a mistake there, buddy : If you talk to Old Bridget enough, you can find that Skal view Ekon blood as some sort of ambrosia from the gods, and that it eases the symptoms of being a Skal. If you've found that out, you have a third option to spend 500 xp and force the priest to drink your blood, restoring him to sanity and pushing his craving for human flesh from an maddening compulsion into merely just having to eat it to live.

This makes me feel a bit bad we don't offer this Skal-Cure to Old Bridget and Harriet, but I suppose if you decided to take it upon yourself to cure all the skal you'd run out of blood and there'd still be hundreds of skal left in london alone.

How do you unlock this? I can't talk to Old Bridget anymore, she just stands in front of the old lady and i exhausted all conversation options with her prior to that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, I don't want any spoilers, but I want to be a nice guy as much as possible- kill jerkass vampires, heal the plague, be a genuinely cool dude. Will deviating from pacifist even a bit lock me out of any cool lightside content, or am I good snacking on the occasional rear end in a top hat if, for example, he has a hatchet I really want?

As far as I can tell, the 4 endings are

no kills

kill only bad people/light killing

kill lots of people

KILL EVERYONE

Claws kinda suck it seem. Bloodspear is A+++ very good.

I'm going for a light kills run first because as far as I hear the no kills ending isn't per say the best ending. Also some people suuuuuuuuck and I can't imagine London won't be better without them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah Claws are pretty bad, I like having both bloodspear and either shadowmine or an upgraded leap. Having one of each damage type is very useful, those resistances aren't kidding.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
If we are making a new OP, I think this'd be my advice for it.

- Don't grab claws. Bloodspear is a huge ranged aoe gently caress you that really helps with gun dudes. Shadowtrap is good for melee aoe gently caress you for melee dudes. I'd argue Bloodspear is a better choice overall because it also does pretty hefty damage to bosses. Claws is weak to everything you'll fight in this game and has a windup.

- If you murder a few people it's not a huge deal. The difference between the perfect ending and the good ending isn't much. Honestly after hearing whats the perfect ending I'd say it's only slightly better for Reid but worse for London. Suck off those murderers, serial killers, rapists, and baddies to protect the actual innocent all you want.

- The upgraded bite is INCREDIBLE. Seriously, it's probably the best skill in the game to actually level up if you want to go more along the good path. Combine it with the increased blood for sucking off dudes and you'll be able to spam your special attacks. Which again Bloodspear and Shadowtrap integrate really well for this, claws don't.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm lvl 15ish and have yet to bother with leap or barrier, dodging seems generous enough as do your regular swings' forward momentum. Heal is OP as gently caress, spear is OP as gently caress, bomb timing is insane and crap on teleporting enemies. Only tried the shadow ult but based on the descriptions and how bad claws are i think its the best one. Levels don't seem to matter much, I've been consistently killing everything in a 7ish level range above me with no problem, died about 5 times so far. This is likely due to trying not to kill anyone myself.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Leap is neat if you upgrade it to the damage version since it gives a more reliable source of shadow damage.

I personally prefer to turn bomb into the AoE field, feels more reliable even if it probably ends up doing less damage overall.

Not that any of this matters to all you pacifist babies who won't get to play with all the cool powers like I, a monster, can.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Infinity Gaia posted:

Not that any of this matters to all you pacifist babies who won't get to play with all the cool powers like I, a monster, can.

It is insanely assholish but hilarious to tut tut Lady Ashbury for being an evil creature when you turn in the blackmail quest after killing tf out of Crane and Darius to complete said quest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rookersh posted:

Suck off those murderers, serial killers, rapists, and baddies to protect the actual innocent all you want.

some version of this needs to be the new thread title

edit: Vampyr: Suck off serial killers to protect the streets of London.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I'd been kind of planning on going with a full pacifist run, but now that I've met that rear end in a top hat pastor in Whitechapel and found out about him burning a bunch of sick people alive I'm determined to go snack on him. The delicious irony is just too tempting. Only trouble is that I'll have to find some suitable small fry to start out with to level up my mesmerize.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Having seen the perfect pacifist ending now, I actually am pretty satisfied with how they handled it - I can see exactly why you'd have to be a perfect pacifist to get the exact result needed for that ending - and at the same time, it's not the sort of cheap-shot bullshit moralizing that Dishonored had - where killing a bunch of psychopathic murderers and jackbooted thugs somehow results in everyone else becoming more evil including your daughter and the world going to hell.

Killing some people doesn't make the game as a whole have a bad ending - in fact, killing the right people might make london end up a better place. However, no killing improves Jonathan's personal happiness in the end.

Dongattack posted:

How do you unlock this? I can't talk to Old Bridget anymore, she just stands in front of the old lady and i exhausted all conversation options with her prior to that.

Now i'm wondering if i did something special without realizing - I just exhausted all of her dialogue options during both conversations with her (before talking to the old woman, and after), then left.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 8, 2018

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
I just beat the game and have some tips for aspiring vampires. :drac:

Your mesmerise level only increases at specific points in the story.

The “Not Even Once” trophy is awarded as long as you beat the game without using the [Embrace] option in dialogue. Even if you gently caress up on major story decisions and get half of London killed, or leave characters to die, or mercy kill characters after they turn into Skals, you can still get it as long as you didn’t drain any civilians dry.

Shotguns maxed out for damage can kill bosses extremely quickly as long as they aren’t resistant to ranged damage, and most bosses aren’t IIRC. The best one I found on a pacifist playthrough was a pump-action that did slightly less damage compared to the double-barreled shotguns but only used one shell per shot.

The best melee weapon is a single-handed sword that deals as much damage as a two-handed weapon. It’s unlocked through a pretty convoluted method involving pressure plates and a specific side mission choice that you’ll probably want to look up when you get there.

Oh, and as other people have said pump up stamina ASAP as it makes a huge difference in combat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FuckLacedFusillade posted:

I just beat the game and have some tips for aspiring vampires. :drac:

Your mesmerise level only increases at specific points in the story.

The “Not Even Once” trophy is awarded as long as you beat the game without using the [Embrace] option in dialogue. Even if you gently caress up on major story decisions and get half of London killed, or leave characters to die, or mercy kill characters after they turn into Skals, you can still get it as long as you didn’t drain any civilians dry.

Shotguns maxed out for damage can kill bosses extremely quickly as long as they aren’t resistant to ranged damage, and most bosses aren’t IIRC. The best one I found on a pacifist playthrough was a pump-action that did slightly less damage compared to the double-barreled shotguns but only used one shell per shot.

The best melee weapon is a single-handed sword that deals as much damage as a two-handed weapon. It’s unlocked through a pretty convoluted method involving pressure plates and a specific side mission choice that you’ll probably want to look up when you get there.

Oh, and as other people have said pump up stamina ASAP as it makes a huge difference in combat!

How long did it take you to beat, altogether?

• Locked thread