Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah for house mains (and you guys have high voltage dryer and hvac IIRC), you want good probes, good sockets, HRC fuses, some blast protection if the fuse blows up, good channel separation internally between high volt input and the dmm circuitry.
That klein might be OK if it's cheap and everywhere (looks generic but at least it's a name brand that probably doesn't stick their name on junk (unlike HF), otherwise amprobe (again a old name brand - they invented the clamp meter) that used to be owned by the same corp as fluke, so they probably don't stick their name on junk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also worth noting that Fluke multimeters aren't all stratospherically high in cost.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Walked into a client of mine that was installing a decent sized bearing, 22320 and they were trying to pack grease around the rollers with a hand grease gun as I walked in. It was painful how long it was taking them. After about 5 minutes I said
:) Hey, don't you guys have a powered grease gun?
:v: No. Well yes, an old lincoln but it's a piece of poo poo.
:) Yes, they are pieces of poo poo especially considering they still use ni-cad batteries. Do you still have that purchasing credit card? What's your limit before you run into problems?
:v: Yep. $3K
:) Do you want a powered grease gun?
:v: How soon can you get it here?
:) Do you want 18 or 12V?
:v: 18. Duh.

:) calls office, have one of the inside staff come buy with a brand new Milwaukee M18 grease gun. I had to gently caress around with it for about 10 minutes figuring out how to purge the air and grease which was pre-packed in everything, but once I got everything figured out and primed, holy poo poo does that thing grease.

A+, would recommend.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Yall have a recommendation on buried utility locators?

My boss wants to buy one for no good reason. It'll probably never get used but it needs to be able to do all the things.

I linked him this:
https://www.amazon.com/Leica-Geosystems-780232-DigiCat-Indicator/dp/B00PWK1UCU

and these:
https://www.amazon.com/19238-NaviTrack-Locator-Underground-Location/dp/B0015B5AJY/
https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-20168-NaviTrack-Brick/dp/B001S0PGBE/
https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-20973-SeekTech-4-Inch-Inductive/dp/B0015B3622/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

slidebite posted:

Walked into a client of mine that was installing a decent sized bearing, 22320 and they were trying to pack grease around the rollers with a hand grease gun as I walked in. It was painful how long it was taking them. After about 5 minutes I said
:) Yes, they are pieces of poo poo especially considering they still use ni-cad batteries. Do you still have that purchasing credit card? What's your limit before you run into problems?

:) calls office, have one of the inside staff come buy with a brand new Milwaukee M18 grease gun. I had to gently caress around with it for about 10 minutes figuring out how to purge the air and grease which was pre-packed in everything, but once I got everything figured out and primed, holy poo poo does that thing grease.

A+, would recommend.

For the math lazy thats a 1 foot OD bearing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geoj posted:

Also worth noting that Fluke multimeters aren't all stratospherically high in cost.

Note the complete lack of a current range.

It’s safe, sure, but not measuring current goes a long way towards making any meter safe.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
My makita brushless impact/screwdriver pair was stolen along with the charger. What brand should I buy back into?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

slidebite posted:

A+, would recommend.

Nice.

I got my dad an 18v Lincoln with Ni-Cad batteries some years back. They still hold enough of a charge to be useful, but when they die it'll be cheaper to get the Dewalt gun and use the batteries from his impact gun than replace the Lincoln batteries.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TWSS posted:

My makita brushless impact/screwdriver pair was stolen along with the charger. What brand should I buy back into?

Home Depot has Milwaukee / DeWalt / Ryobi deals for Father's Day. Some of them are really loving good deals.

I use DeWalt and have no complaints. I got my dad one of the $79 Ryobi One+ 3/8" impact and he hyper-torqued my brother's GTI wheels with it (used torque sticks and apparently the rapid hammering of the Ryobi impact powered right through the torque stick), so I was actually impressed with that one, especially for the price.

On that front, I've been looking for a DeWalt 1/2" XR impact for months, it's never been under $200 for the bare tool. Home Depot has the 1/4" XR impact and another big XR, plus 2 batteries and a charger for $299... which is a screaming deal... unfortunately, it's a hammer drill and not a 1/2" impact. :mad:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Seminal Flu posted:

I use DeWalt and have no complaints. I got my dad one of the $79 Ryobi One+ 3/8" impact and he hyper-torqued my brother's GTI wheels with it (used torque sticks and apparently the rapid hammering of the Ryobi impact powered right through the torque stick), so I was actually impressed with that one, especially for the price.

I’ve always heard that torque sticks don’t work with electric impacts in general.

I’ve never really questioned “why” before because who uses torque sticks at home ever?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve always heard that torque sticks don’t work with electric impacts in general.

I’ve never really questioned “why” before because who uses torque sticks at home ever?

I just found out that torque sticks don't work with electric impact through experience. It was on hard enough that my IR air gun didn't take the lugs off, I had to break out a 24" breaker bar.

I use torque sticks at home, why is that so strange? It's an easy way to switch from summer to winter wheels without having to use a torque wrench on all the lugs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
OTOH I've found that the middle setting on my DCF899 is within a handful of ft-lbs of the 110 my lugs get torqued to. Still have to break out the torque wrench, but each lug only needs maybe an eighth of a turn.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You guys really torque wheels to spec? I've always just either gave them three ugga duggas, or leaned on them a couple times...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Gingerbread House Music posted:

You guys really torque wheels to spec? I've always just either gave them three ugga duggas, or leaned on them a couple times...

Ever broke a stud or worse a wheel? Get a torque limiting extension for your impact. On steel wheels was one thing but on aluminum this is a terrible idea.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I sleep a lot better knowing the wheels on my wife’s car are torqued to spec. I think I can feel a shimmy and would pack the wrench on a test drive but I can’t ask the same of her.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The one time I let a shop do up the lugs (insurance claim) they cross threaded two studs and I broke them on the next removal. I always hand start them, rattle gun them to the seat, then torque them (occasionally untorque if the gun went too far).

The most common mistake I see with people who just rattle gun them on listen for the brap on the first lug and move on when the wheel hadn't fully seated yet, then continued with the rest while the first lug remain hand tight or even loose. If you have to check for tight lugs, it might as well be with a torque wrench.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
It's not like torquing wheels takes that long anyway. I also find it strangely satisfying hearing that click and knowing I did something properly and also knowing that I won't have to use a 200m extension bar the next time (like when have wheels swapped at tire shops..).

Unrelated: Some dude is selling a (afaik) big no name brand (Wisent) tool cabinet for pretty cheap. Includes a socket set that's pretty expensive to buy new. The little information I found online is kinda positive toward the tool cabinet, but I'm a bit wary since I've got the suspicion that everything is going to be cheaply made and hard to use.
Can't really justify buying $1000-2000 tool chests at the moment. But a decent one for $200 is tempting. How sensitive are tool cabinets to "cheapness"?

(I'm not in the US and just checked Home Depot. I'm jealous as gently caress that you can get a massive Milwaukee Mobile Workbench for 700 bucks wtf. That get's you a decent sized noname cabinet here..)

Edit: Some more research and I guess ball bearing rails is important.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 8, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MrOnBicycle posted:

also knowing that I won't have to use a 200m extension bar the next time (like when have wheels swapped at tire shops..).

This. I can usually get them off at home (once had to pay a guy :10bux: to take off some wheels the dealer put on), but I like knowing that I'll be able to put on the spare tire should I get a flat on the road.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's not like torquing wheels takes that long anyway. I also find it strangely satisfying hearing that click and knowing I did something properly and also knowing that I won't have to use a 200m extension bar the next time (like when have wheels swapped at tire shops..).

Tire shops are the worst, I know that's beaten into the ground, but I'll share my favorite --

Went to a tire shop to get new tires for the Roadmaster. I asked if they'd use a torque wrench for the lugs and they said "we always do."

I watched the guy go around with an air impact and put the motherfucking lugs on as tight as he could, then went around to every lug with a torque wrench and "clicked" each one. :suicide:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Seminal Flu posted:

Tire shops are the worst, I know that's beaten into the ground, but I'll share my favorite --

Went to a tire shop to get new tires for the Roadmaster. I asked if they'd use a torque wrench for the lugs and they said "we always do."

I watched the guy go around with an air impact and put the motherfucking lugs on as tight as he could, then went around to every lug with a torque wrench and "clicked" each one. :suicide:

Well technically it's just ≥ 95ftlbs, not = 95ftlbs :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tire shops print money around here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I'd just look for reviews and see what has the most good ones. Maybe there are some "locator forums" around somewhere. Or, just call up some private utility locating companies and ask what they use. It'll probably be a hassle trying to talk to someone at a public locating company as they are sometimes run by the utility themselves, or may otherwise be a large rear end company where you have to go through 20 different numbers just to get an actual person.

Comedy option: witching sticks.

lugnut chat posted:

I bent a tire iron trying to get some lug nuts off my car after I got a shop to replace my clutch. Four foot drill rod on that bitch.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Get a power ratchet for oil drain plugs. You can hold your arm and hand away at an adventageous angle and spin it out.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I rattlegun to the first dugga on the low setting, then back off a bit and torque it in. My gun's low setting is like ~110ft/lbs, so I'm not worried about breaking my steel wheels or my studs

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I mean if you can’t do 75-100 lb-ft by feel then just put the wrench down and call somebody.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Or buy a $20 HF torque wrench and not break something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Taint posted:

I mean if you can’t do 75-100 lb-ft by feel then just put the wrench down and call somebody.

I can totally torque my wheels to 92 lb-ft by feel. I press down on the torque wrench until I feel a click.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Uthor posted:

I can totally torque my wheels to 92 lb-ft by feel. I press down on the torque wrench until I feel a click.

My elbow does that too, I'd best get it looked at.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm able to do 13 inch-lbs.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Christobevii3 posted:

This.

The HF torque wrench might not stand up to every day extreme use in a car shop (read: being thrown across the shop in a fit of rage) But it's got accuracy. I had mine calibrated and they were impressed with how close it was - it needed no adjustment at all. I use mine like 2 or 3 times a year when I rotate my tires. It's good enough.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Christobevii3 posted:

Doing it by feel is better than impact wrenching them on. The impact is for offs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Doing it by feel is better than impact wrenching them on. The impact is for offs

If you've got a small impact or one that has low-torque settings, you can use it for both. I actually prefer my M12 Fuel 3/8 impact for putting lugs on, because it's much faster than my M18 mid-torque on the lowest setting, and both of them will consistently torque lug nuts to something below 80 ft-lb. Start the lugs by hand, bap them on, lower the car to the ground, and I get at least half a turn while using a torque wrench before it clicks.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I'm thinking I'm gonna pick this up this weekend to replace both my tool cart and workbench.

$100 off through June 20th. I should be able to get all my poo poo in there and still have some room to grow. It'll give me a good excuse to finally clean off/out my workbench, too.

I also picked up the M12 3/8" drill and 1/4" impact driver combo yesterday. HD's got the combo (with 2 batteries, charger, and bag) for $100. Normally $150. Gonna give the drill, a battery, and the bag to my dad for father's day and keep the impact and the other battery for myself :v:.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you've got a small impact or one that has low-torque settings, you can use it for both. I actually prefer my M12 Fuel 3/8 impact for putting lugs on, because it's much faster than my M18 mid-torque on the lowest setting, and both of them will consistently torque lug nuts to something below 80 ft-lb. Start the lugs by hand, bap them on, lower the car to the ground, and I get at least half a turn while using a torque wrench before it clicks.

Why would you bother with a small impact? that means you need to buy 2 :D

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Why would you bother with a small impact? that means you need to buy 2 :D

I'm up to four :v:

M12 3/8 Fuel compact
M18 1/2 Fuel mid-torque
HF 1/2 cheap air
IR 1/2 Ti air bought here on SA years ago but I don't really have enough compressor to run it properly. Anything where it would really be beneficial, I can only get a short application out of before I need to wait for the compressor to catch up.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is exactly what I do, but low setting on the bigass 1/2" fuel. If I have my 3/8 around from whatever I was doing to the car I use that instead.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's a good electric ratchet/small 90° impact wrench? I love using my drill with a 3/8" attachment, but the thing is usually too drat big to get at the stuck bolts that I don't want to have to manually pull on

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee m12.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

Milwaukee m12.

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

55 ft/lbs max torque seems kind of low for a $150 power tool, but the reviews on them are ridiculously positive

M12 it is, then