Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pops Mgee posted:

He’s a Lion :colbert:

Yeah, and now he's getting penalized for it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The holding is ridiculous these days. If you actually keep your eye on the rushers there's holding nearly every passing down. But the officials don't want to stop the game for anything but the most flagrant and obvious holds, which I guess I understand. If the officials won't call it over and over then in reality it's not really holding even if the rules haven't technically changed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...773f764d66.html

quote:

GREEN BAY — Joe Whitt chose his words cautiously — out of respect for Dom Capers as a person, coach and mentor.

Whitt had just been asked how the Green Bay Packers defense has changed in the wake of coach Mike McCarthy’s decision in January to hire Mike Pettine to replace Capers as the team’s defensive coordinator, and Whitt wanted to be careful not to say anything that would disparage Capers, who’d held the job for nine seasons.

Nevertheless, a picture of the biggest difference between Capers and Pettine is emerging from players and coaches alike this offseason: After some obvious confusion and miscommunication on defense last season — and, at times, in prior years — Pettine’s KILL (Keep It Likable and Learnable) philosophy has been a hit, because everyone involved believes it’ll eliminate those moments of uncertainty that too often resulted in big plays by opposing offenses.

“I don’t want to get into comparisons of what we did in the past and what we’re doing now,” Whitt, who was promoted to defensive pass-game coordinator this offseason, said following Thursday’s open organized team activity practice. “What I will say is, what we’re doing right now, we’re trying to make sure that everything is as simple as possible so when they run through that tunnel, we remove doubt out of the equation. If we can remove doubt out of the equation as coaches, that allows them to play fast and now you can see the true athletic ability and play-making ability of the players.

“If they’re out there thinking, (that’s problematic). You cannot tell the difference between a confused player and a coward – because they both move slowly. If you take that doubt out of the equation, now they’ll play fast, they’ll play with an edge and we’ll play with a tilted field. That’s what we’re trying to do.”

Before the offseason program kicked off in mid-April, third-year defenders Kenny Clark and Blake Martinez said Pettine reached out to all the defensive players to explain to them his expectations. At that point, the players hadn’t even been in a meeting room with Pettine, whose message to players had been about his commitment to reducing mental errors and being more demanding of players.

On April 17, Pettine met with the players for the first time, and he admitted on Thursday that first meeting “lasted a long time. There were a lot of points I wanted to make sure I covered.” The most important? Mindset is more critical than scheme.

“We want to make sure we have a cutting-edge playbook and we do some things that we gear toward the opponent, and you have some graduate-level stuff. But, at the same time, it shouldn’t matter,” Pettine explained. “It’s more important how we play and not what we play.

“I told them, ‘We can line up in one defense, but as long as we play with great passion, great technique that we should be able to stop people if the call sheet’s very limited.’ I think that we’ve got the buy-in from that.”

Last year, the Packers finished 26th in scoring defense (24.0 per game), 22nd in yards allowed (348.9), 17th against the run (112.1), 23rd against the pass (236.8), 28th in third-down defense (allowing a 42.8 percent conversion rate) and 31st in red-zone defense (allowing a 65.2 percent touchdown rate).

The Packers also finished the season tied for 17th in sacks with 37 and tied for 20th in interceptions with 11.

It’s hard to say how much of that was because young, inexperienced players didn’t understand their responsibilities, how much was just poor execution of Capers’ calls and how much was a lack of top-tier defensive players on the roster. Last month, longtime cornerback Tramon Williams, who played for Capers earlier in his Packers career and for Pettine in Cleveland when he was the head coach of the Browns, said Capers’ scheme had become antiquated while Pettine’s is a more “modern-day” system.

Even so, Pettine said he spent the two years he was out of football after his firing in Cleveland reexamining his system to make sure it hadn’t become too convoluted. That streamlined approach, he believes, will benefit his guys this season.

“I was fortunate in the time that I had off that I was able to break (the scheme) down to nothing and then build it back up and take out a lot of things that didn’t make sense,” explained Pettine, who has never coordinated a defense that finished outside the NFL’s top 10 in fewest yards allowed. “Over time, you start adding exceptions or you add something new or you add a tweak and then it just starts to accumulate, and you always want to be able to go back to that foundation.

“It just made it a lot cleaner.”

For instance, Whitt explained, Pettine wants simple terminology that eliminates any confusion with what a play-call might be. Thus, Whitt said, each word used in a play-call — whether a pressure, coverage or defensive front —has only one meaning.

“If we couldn’t make it fit and it (wasn’t) easy for them to learn, we didn’t want it in the package,” Whitt explained. “(We’d) say, ‘OK, what are we going to call this? Well, if we call it this, down the road are we going to want to use that term for something else?’ Because every term means one thing (in Pettine’s scheme). So when they hear it, they can get right to it.

“At the end of the day, like my dad always says, ‘They’ve got 11, we’ve got 11. Once they start playing with 12, it makes it a lot more difficult. But as long as we’re playing 11 on 11, football is football.’ There’s only so many fronts and coverages that you can play.”

And in Pettine’s game plans, the idea is to not have more than the players can master in a given week.

“I think you have to prioritize what defenses you’re going to play, that you have to be confident as a coach that I can go into this game with like 25, 30 defenses as opposed to (years ago) when we were taking 50, 55 calls into a game. You just don’t have time to rep those anymore, especially with so many young guys on the defense,” Pettine said.

“Today’s NFL, you’ve got some many guys on the first contract that you have to adjust your coaching style to them. I think you have to be able to streamline it and be confident as a coach and say, ‘These are the 25 calls I know that are going to work against this team in a given game.’

“I know I’ve done it in the past, where you kind of get that security blanket of, ‘You know I have 50 calls and everything’s covered.’ But it’s 50 calls that you might not necessarily be as dialed in (on) as you should be if you pick the best 25.”

This is either going to work fantastically or implode fantastically.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
If it implodes it'll be no different from last year, so let's go all in on this poo poo. We have a stupid amount of high draft picks on the defense, we shouldn't be next to last in any category.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I liked Pettine when he ran the Bills defense. Always knew it was a bad idea to go to the Browns.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Was Pettine the most successful coach of the new browns?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Raku posted:

Romeo got us to 10 wins.

And Butch Davis got us 9 wins and a playoffs berth.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*sees another aspect of the Lions running game has been destroyed*

Matt Millen's insane fever dream of Detroit running the A-11 offense on every single down might still happen.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Jesus this is sad.

https://twitter.com/mistochristopho/status/1004397876984860672?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raku posted:

Flikken posted:

Romeo got us to 10 wins.

And Butch Davis got us 9 wins and a playoffs berth.

After Romeo, the Browns had gone 4-12, 5-11, 5-11, 4-12, 5-11, 4-12, hired Pettine, went 6-3, then lost 5 straight to close 7-9, went 3-13 the next season and Pettine was fired. Browns have gone 1-15 and 0-16 since then.

There was an article I was reading a few months ago about how Pettine's second and final season with the Browns was enormously hobbled by the front office and that you shouldn't put too much stock in his performance there. I can't find this article again but I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

The 2014 Browns had a top 10 defense for points allowed and top 10 for passing yards, touchdowns, and interceptions (#2 there). They were, unfortunately, the worst rushing defense in the league by yards, which probably played a part in these gaudy pass defense stats.

If you're thinking optimistic, you're looking at his peaks with the Jets, Bills, and Browns and then looking at the Packers' deficiencies and getting very excited. If you're thinking pessimistically, you're looking at how his defenses have gradually declined since coaching an incredible 2009 Jets defense, and at that article talking about how Pettine doesn't believe too much in scheme and more about attitude, and you're getting worried.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 7, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Eh, it really can't be much worse than last year.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

Eh, it really can't be much worse than last year.

Yeah I agree with this, it's worth a try. That defense was a loving travesty last year especially on third down and obviously the management and coaching wasn't getting it done

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PFF_Packers/status/1003810073192235008

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
oh hey look at that, Carlos is being an idiot again

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1005110923097325568?s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

oh hey look at that, Carlos is being an idiot again

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1005110923097325568?s=19

If running is a valid form of punishment this tubby little gang rapist owes us twenty laps... around the world

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Carlos is so bad, I can almost tell if he's dispensing hot takes by the tweet headline alone. Not even Drew Sharp was that blatant

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The less said and posted about monarrez, the better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Carlos is so bad, I can almost tell if he's dispensing hot takes by the tweet headline alone. Not even Drew Sharp was that blatant

He tried to absorb Sharp’s soul but he’s not nearly as good of a writer. With Sharp you could tell he was having fun with it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm pretty sure Cutler holds most, if not all, of the Bears' career passing records. He was literally the best quarterback the team ever had not named Sid Luckman, and both the team and its fans did everything they could to run him out of town with a pitchfork.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure Cutler holds most, if not all, of the Bears' career passing records. He was literally the best quarterback the team ever had not named Sid Luckman, and both the team and its fans did everything they could to run him out of town with a pitchfork.

Jay Cutler's best season in Chicago featured 28 passing TD's and 3,812 yards.

Blake Bortles' best season in Jacksonville featured 35 passing TD's and 4,428 yards.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gonz posted:

Jay Cutler's best season in Chicago featured 28 passing TD's and 3,812 yards.

Blake Bortles' best season in Jacksonville featured 35 passing TD's and 4,428 yards.

On the other hand, everyone but Cutler and Forte on the bears offense sucked.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I have a theory that Soldier Field being right on Lake Michigan messes up the passing game. It may not always be windy, but when it is, it's a weird sort of windy that fucks poo poo up. Sometimes good QB's have bad games there. Meanwhile, Bears QBs have to play there 8 games a season. Therefore you get above average QBs looking average, and mediocre QBs end up looking godawful.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if a dude who only played half the season could beat the cutler bears in yardage

I am surprised that Bortles put up such decent numbers though. I kinda figured him as an always-below-4k kind of qb

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
they weren’t decent numbers, they were just high. Bortles has sub-60% completion and lead the league with 18 INTs that same year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a dude who only played half the season could beat the cutler bears in yardage

I am surprised that Bortles put up such decent numbers though. I kinda figured him as an always-below-4k kind of qb

Don't mistake quantity for quality. He was a stat compiler when he got those numbers in 2015. I'm sure 75% of those numbers came in the 4th quarter when the team was down by 20.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

Don't mistake quantity for quality. He was a stat compiler when he got those numbers in 2015. I'm sure 75% of those numbers came in the 4th quarter when the team was down by 20.

True, and he was also throwing to Allen Robinson as WR1 who cleaned up his messes by catching everything. Robinson did the same thing for Christian Hackenberg and may even be to blame for making people think Hack was draftable.

To bring it back around to the NFC North, I'm really excited to see what Robinson can do in Chicago. If he can get back in to form just him alone would make a big difference to that team, not to mention all the other FAs and draftees. It'll be interesting to see how this whole Trubs thing goes, especially with some actually good receivers and a new head coach.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Lions posted a neat video for Dad's day:

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1008319638181236736?s=19

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Parallelwoody posted:

The less said and posted about monarrez, the better.

Can we just ship him to Chicago or New England and be done with it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Getting caught up on some Packers stuff after a while focusing on other things...

https://twitter.com/WildeAndTausch/status/1009487480096280582

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/22/tony-romo-is-a-big-fan-of-the-packers-getting-jimmy-graham/

quote:

“The Jimmy Graham thing is a big deal. People don’t understand,” the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback told Peter Jackel of the Journal Times. “You’re going to see old-school Jimmy Graham. With him paired with Aaron Rodgers, you’re going to see a little different animal. In the red zone, that will be almost unstoppable.”

“I think the Packers probably got better maybe more than any other team this offseason,” Romo said. “It’s early and injuries happen, but right now, they’re right at the top for me as far as a team you wouldn’t want to see in the playoffs.”

Romo knows how a matchup-busting tight end can open up an offense and take some stress off the quarterback. He played his entire career with Pro Bowler Jason Witten. According to Romo, adding Graham will make life easier in the red zone, where Graham’s versatility will provide easy playcalling options.

“I think you’ll see them treat him as a single receiver. You’ll almost play a two-tight-end set, where one tight end will be in,” Romo said. “You’re going to run the ball to the right and, if the safety is not there, they’re going to throw the ball to Jimmy Graham. If the safety is there, they’re just going to run the football. … It’s going to be real simple in the red zone. That’s a big deal.”

I'm pretty pumped for this season in a way that I haven't been for previous Packers seasons since early this decade.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AlecPhillips91/status/1010365759460118529

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
A'shawn Robinson is 23 years old going on 47.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tom Funk posted:

A'shawn Robinson is 23 years old going on 47.

Look up his baby picture

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
To save everyone the time:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Acebuckeye13 posted:

To save everyone the time:

I refuse to believe that's at 2 months...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Poor Momma Robinson had to give birth to a 3 year old.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

2-sport athlete. Played in the Little League World Series, in fact.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
hunter just got paid

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1011982906644983808

Between Diggs and Barr, which one gets let go after the season?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
of those two, Barr, but i think it’s more likely they keep both and structure the contracts to stay reasonable for a year or two and cut Griffin after 2019. with only a $15m signing bonus, I could see Hunter’s being structured around that, too.

Hunter was the absolute keeper of all of them. he’s still only 23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dubious posted:

hunter just got paid

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1011982906644983808

Between Diggs and Barr, which one gets let go after the season?

Comedy answer: Cousins :v:

• Locked thread